All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Bart

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Bart »

Let it rip........
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:26 am
Bart wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:27 am
tech37 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:57 am
a fan wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:45 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:09 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:47 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:36 pm Your path would have led hundreds of thousands of Americans to choose not take the vaccines.....because Biden would keep touting the availability of the less effective therapeutics like you wanted.

The simple math behind those choices would mean more dead.
Maybe the question is really....how many deaths of unvaccinated, with covid, that also received therapeutics?

I have not seen that stat.
Probably most hospital deaths would be a good guess. The April 2020 to April 2021 deaths were probably all unvaccinated. Maybe 350,000 deaths up to that point. Not sure if you had stopped using your excel spreadsheet to chart it by then? My guess is 375,000 unvaccinated folks received a last ditch effort in which doctors threw the kitchen sink at it, still didn’t make it. Your number might be 10,000.

https://fox2now.com/news/national/what- ... in-us/amp/
We'll have those numbers at some point.

My money is on: nearly all of these patients received what tech would call "therapeutics" before dying.
Geez a fan, you're still all hung up on Ivermectin. IVM is not what I've been talking about. What I 'm saying is that Paxlovid should have been available sooner. IMO, there was such emphasis placed on vaccination that the new therapeutics were put on the slow track. That strategy may have made some sense early on until vaccination numbers plateaued. Now mandates will be the only mechanism to change that. If Paxlovid had been readily available sooner for early treatment, sick people would have survived. No brainer...

Ramp up production and get it out there asap. Even when it does become available, as Bart reminds us, not everyone will qualify. That needs to change IMO.

Which, again, tells you why they are focused on getting people vaccinated above all else.
And a failed strategy considering how many unvaccinated exist (I don't think that will change any time soon). So if ending the pandemic is truly the idea, why not throw every available tool at it, and that includes the new therapeutics, unfortunately late to the game.

Spoiler alert: the vaccines work, and the therapeutics don't work anywhere close to as well as the vaccines. And many of the therapeutics do nothing at all by the time the sick arrive at the hospital.
Argh. Yes, vaccines work but so will therapeutics (Paxlovid a fan) in a different capacity. A balanced approach utilizing both doesn't make sense? We can continue to beat ourselves up over who is and who isn't vaccinated or we can add a tool most everyone will take (just like aspirin for a headache) should they come down with Covid. It should be that available/automatic IMO, then we'll beat this thing.

Perhaps in time new Covid vaccines will be developed that don't carry the same stigma for many that the current ones seem to and more people will voluntarily get vaccinated.
What evidence is there that the drug was slow played?
It currently is, by our Feds.....strangely!. Oddly, there is still delta out there as far as we know. Just weird.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/12/24/mon ... ts-paused/
Delta remains & it's the one killing people, not omicron.
So why stop the therapeutics which are effective vs delta -- the one doing the killing ?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:12 am Could you imagine if Delta had this same level of spread? We have been lucky.
Isn't this the way a virus typically mutates ? Severity vs transmissibility.
No. It’s luck of the draw (I am not an expert but that is generally what I have read). Delta wasn’t a less severe mutation, for instance.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Bart wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:04 pm
Let it rip........
We have people that accept limits on their unvaccinated pets but not humans. Go figure.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:28 pm Do you not understand that easily 40%+ of our population have come nowhere near a covid test? And have ZERO interest in isolation? And have ZERO interest in vaccinations?

Every point in the above post ASSUMES that Americans WANT to take Covid tests multiple times per week/month. That ain't happening.

We have real world data now, folks. The Pandemic is over from a practical definition. Vaccine are available to end the pandemic from a medical definition.

Testing won't help. Isolation won't help. Why? Because the uvaxxed don't give a rat's *ss about any of this.

You're spinning wheels. This is why Biden and my governor Polis are washing their hands of it all.......you can't fix these people. So why waste effort and money trying to fix the unfixable?
When they show up at the ER, they are suddenly interested.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:11 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:28 pm Do you not understand that easily 40%+ of our population have come nowhere near a covid test? And have ZERO interest in isolation? And have ZERO interest in vaccinations?

Every point in the above post ASSUMES that Americans WANT to take Covid tests multiple times per week/month. That ain't happening.

We have real world data now, folks. The Pandemic is over from a practical definition. Vaccine are available to end the pandemic from a medical definition.

Testing won't help. Isolation won't help. Why? Because the uvaxxed don't give a rat's *ss about any of this.

You're spinning wheels. This is why Biden and my governor Polis are washing their hands of it all.......you can't fix these people. So why waste effort and money trying to fix the unfixable?
When they show up at the ER, they are suddenly interested.
I heard an unvaccinated police officer told a buddy he lost 40 pounds and was asked if he wanted last rites read. He says he was stupid. He is right.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:14 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:29 pm ...I stupidly thought that we'd be at 90%+ vaccine rate when I wrote that back in 2020. It never occurred to me that we're in a post-Trump world. I assumed that 30 extra days in a pandemic cost WAY more than some piddly factory would....thinking everyone would be clamoring for the vaccines.
Is it Trump's fault that unvxxed rates in the EU also remain too high ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59283128
The post-Trump world has nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with how the media---and voters like you-----handled Trump and the world around you.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Kismet wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:57 pm I'd also wish that some should just stop talking. I don't really need to hear from Tony Fauci multiple times every day ruminating on the same things over and over again. Ditto for all the talking heads on TV. Enough already. Often all the talking makes things worse, confuses some and give others the ammunition to tee off on the government for whatever they say on any given day.

I'm going to listen to my state government - Governor and Dept of Health who have been very good at updating citizens on what's up and what is going to happen as soon as they know about it.
How boring Kismet :D
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:16 pm
Kismet wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:57 pm I'd also wish that some should just stop talking. I don't really need to hear from Tony Fauci multiple times every day ruminating on the same things over and over again. Ditto for all the talking heads on TV. Enough already. Often all the talking makes things worse, confuses some and give others the ammunition to tee off on the government for whatever they say on any given day.

I'm going to listen to my state government - Governor and Dept of Health who have been very good at updating citizens on what's up and what is going to happen as soon as they know about it.
How boring Kismet :D
I stopped watching daily coverage back in the summer. I read more than I watch. It’s news entertainment. Not news.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:08 pm
Let it rip........
We have people that accept limits on their unvaccinated pets but not humans. Go figure.
All the humans I own are fully vaxxed, ...+ some who I am just able to influence.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:08 pm
Let it rip........
All the humans I own are fully vaxxed, ...+ some who I am just able to influence.
You ever see a kid suffering from rabies due to a dog bite? If COVID looked more like that, we would be 90+% vaccinated.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:14 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:29 pm ...I stupidly thought that we'd be at 90%+ vaccine rate when I wrote that back in 2020. It never occurred to me that we're in a post-Trump world. I assumed that 30 extra days in a pandemic cost WAY more than some piddly factory would....thinking everyone would be clamoring for the vaccines.

The post-Trump world has nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with how the media---and voters like you-----handled Trump and the world around you.
:lol: ...based on policy & results, rather than style & personality.
Accepting that which I cannot change, while defending the positive.
Voters like me ? I never voted for Trump & never will.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:24 pm

I love that the above is what you think you did here at the forum over Trump's four years.

Spoiler alert: that's not at all what you did, OS. And you hammered Obama over his style and personality with abandon...for eight years.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

A seemingly positive result of the COVID lockdown (masking, social distancing, etc.) in 2020 is the disappearance of one of the 4 worldwide flu strains (B-Yamagata). The strain has not been observed in flu virus sequencing since April 2020.

The story from Nature.
Last edited by jhu72 on Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:39 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:18 am I don’t recall you pointing out any of Trump’s epic fails. Hypocrite.
You were too busy trying to be a wise ass, posting youtube clips, and keeping your post count high, that you could never see, and still not see, that I spend much of my time trying to make it clear that both sides are master BS artists. You tend to do the very same them, just from the otherside of the street. Maybe that is why you pick on me so much.....we are too much alike :P :lol: .
No. I know BS when I see it….an obligatory criticism of Trump is just fake cover. The aggregation of your post says otherwise. The volume of your criticisms of Biden are multiples of Trump and the guy is one year in office. Let’s Go Brandon!!

PS….not sure I have seen many post defending anything Biden has done….me, I don’t care what he does. I said it before he was elected. I don’t care.
:lol: Nice to see you walking it back. First you claim you don't recall, then you acknowledge its obligatory....pick a lane slick ;) .

Maybe if you paid more attention to listening, rather than wanting to be noticed and heard, you'd recognize most of us did not like Trump, we just knew we'd had enough of 'fundamentally transforming america'...so much so, it tee'd up Trump. The volumes of my Biden posts are majorly about the same crapola the left was slinging at the last admin.....but you wouldn't recognize that, because you claim to not care, so much so you only troll me, OS, tech, cradle, Joe, Pete, and kramer.....for someone that does not care, you certainly hand picked a select few :!: . Textbook definition
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:23 pm You ever see a kid suffering from rabies due to a dog bite?
What ? No youtube clip of that ? Try to find one of a black kid & a rabid pit bull.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:05 pm
tech37 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:57 am Geez a fan, you're still all hung up on Ivermectin. IVM is not what I've been talking about. What I 'm saying is that Paxlovid should have been available sooner. IMO, there was such emphasis placed on vaccination that the new therapeutics were put on the slow track. That strategy may have made some sense early on until vaccination numbers plateaued. Now mandates will be the only mechanism to change that. If Paxlovid had been readily available sooner for early treatment, sick people would have survived. No brainer...
I didn't say one word about invermectin. Should i pull a tech, and freak out because you're putting words in my mouth? ;)
If you weren't thinking IVM a fan, then I'm really lost trying to figure out what you're saying.
tech37 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:57 am Argh. Yes, vaccines work but so will therapeutics (Paxlovid a fan) in a different capacity. A balanced approach utilizing both doesn't make sense? We can continue to beat ourselves up over who is and who isn't vaccinated or we can add a tool most everyone will take (just like aspirin for a headache) should they come down with Covid. It should be that available/automatic IMO, then we'll beat this thing.
You're assuming that all the people taking these pills are rational, educated patients, tech. That's not who we're dealing with here.
No I'm not and why I've said ERs need to have treatment available for less fortunate folks.

This pill is largely for the unvaxxed. So guess what that means? Demographically? Poor, rural, skeptical of science, more likely to be uninsured.....not exactly a recipe for knowing that they have covid, and for taking the pill at the right time...which is EVERYTHING with these treatments.
Not true. Omicron break through cases e.g. There might be many. If you're fully vaxxed but are obese or have comorbidities, if you can't get monoclonals, guess what you're getting (hopefully)?

Insurance? There are no insurance repercussions for vaccines nor should there be for therapeutics.

How do you get an anti-vaxxer to just execute step one, which is to take a Covid test? Good luck with that. It's sad. It sucks. But here we are.....
OK so just let them die. i think that's your state governor's attitude at this point, isn't it? Otherwise, if some of these poor folks somehow make it to the ER in time, they may not die, or God forbid, take up a hospital bed.
tech37 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:57 am Perhaps in time new Covid vaccines will be developed that don't carry the same stigma for many that the current ones seem to and more people will voluntarily get vaccinated.
So blow money on differently colored life vests, hoping that they'll prefer purple to orange?
:roll: Well, I tried to end on an optimistic note. So much for that.
Last edited by tech37 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:28 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:24 pm

I love that the above is what you think you did here at the forum over Trump's four years.

Spoiler alert: that's not at all what you did, OS. And you hammered Obama over his style and personality with abandon...for eight years.
I pointed out the ineffectiveness of his olympian rhetoric on foreign bad guys. I complimented him on his tan suit. The rest were policy differences. I'm a conservative, he is not.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ggait wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:59 pm
tech37 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:57 am
Perhaps in time new Covid vaccines will be developed that don't carry the same stigma for many that the current ones seem to and more people will voluntarily get vaccinated.
Wow -- this just dumb turned up to 11.

There's plenty of polls and surveys that have been done on this. The remaining MAGA/red mouth breathers say they will never ever ever take a vaccine. The blue refuse-niks at least say they might get the shot someday (but we know they never will). They are unreachable. So you just need to hit them with sticks (no shot no job; no shot, pay $200 bucks extra on your insurance).

Delta Airlines proved months ago that it is a complete waste of time to reason with these people or treat them nicely. Forget about the carrots.

Just hit them with a very small stick, and they will fold like a lawn chair. Kind of like smacking your dog on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.
Get off your high horse just for once. It's obvious that vaccination plateaued months ago. Having people like you berating anti-vaxxers has worked really well hasn't it? Who's being dumb?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:47 pm
ggait wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:59 pm
tech37 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:57 am
Wow -- this just dumb turned up to 11.

There's plenty of polls and surveys that have been done on this. The remaining MAGA/red mouth breathers say they will never ever ever take a vaccine. The blue refuse-niks at least say they might get the shot someday (but we know they never will). They are unreachable. So you just need to hit them with sticks (no shot no job; no shot, pay $200 bucks extra on your insurance).

Delta Airlines proved months ago that it is a complete waste of time to reason with these people or treat them nicely. Forget about the carrots.

Just hit them with a very small stick, and they will fold like a lawn chair. Kind of like smacking your dog on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.
Get off your high horse just for once. It's obvious that vaccination plateaued months ago. Having people like you berating anti-vaxxers has worked really well hasn't it? Who's being dumb?
... right, the mouth breathers are just delicate right wing snowflakes that can't take the negativity directed at them. :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”