All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

youthathletics

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:18 am I don’t recall you pointing out any of Trump’s epic fails. Hypocrite.
You were too busy trying to be a wise ass, posting youtube clips, and keeping your post count high, that you could never see, and still not see, that I spend much of my time trying to make it clear that both sides are master BS artists. You tend to do the very same them, just from the otherside of the street. Maybe that is why you pick on me so much.....we are too much alike :P :lol: .
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

Bart wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:49 am
RedFromMI wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:05 am So how do we deal with Omicron - a Twitter thread from yesterday:

(Ashish K. Jha, MD, MPH)
As Omicron cases explode we need a strategy for isolating folks who test positive. We need to think about the purpose of isolation clearly. Because if we don't get it right, it'll both be hugely disruptive and won't keep us safe.

So let's discuss what we need to do.

First principles: Why ask people to isolate at all? Well, that’s obvious - we don’t want them spreading. So what we care about is CONTAGIOUSNESS. We want folks to isolate when they're contagious.

So when are people contagious? Well, it varies. A lot!

OK, so what to do? How long folks are contagious depends on two things:
1. When they test positive (i.e. early in the phase of infection vs. late)
2. Their immune system's ability to clear the virus

Take the average person who tests PCR+ today. How long will they be contagious? The average person who tests PCR+ today? Some will be contagious for 2 days. Others for 5 or (rarely) 10 days.

But here’s the kicker: Some for zero days – because they tested + after no longer being contagious!

Confusing.

But thankfully, we have tools to figure this out. So let’s look at what we know. Here’s a graphic from @FT by @jburnmurdoch that's adapted from @michaelmina_lab piece in @NEJM. Simply speaking, there are three periods of time you can be PCR+ (I label as A, B, and C). Its an excellent graphic and critical to this whole story
There is very short pre-contagious period where folks are PCR + but rapid antigen negative labeled A.

There is the contagious period: PCR + and Antigen + labeled B.

There is post contagious period: PCR +, Antigen neg, which can last many, many days labeled C.

The graph shows “infectious” period of about 5 days, but it can be longer. That’s why CDC defaults to 10 days to be safe.

But here's the thing - 10 day isolation uses the mental model that either people test + in Phase A/early Phase B or have symptoms beginning of phase B. But many people have little or no symptoms (especially vaccinated folks) and many folks get tested late in phase B or even in phase C.

Which is why studies show that many PCR+ have high CT values (low viral load). These are people testing positive but no longer contagious!

So what to do? We need a simple, workable solution that works across scenarios - works for everyone, not just in healthcare. So here's why 5 days of isolation and negative antigen test is reasonable, even cautious.

Antigen tests ("lateral flow") are contagiousness tests (graph):
So for average person if you isolate for 5 days, you are likely no longer contagious. But for rare person who might still be? That’s where antigen “contagiousness” test comes in. Negative antigen on top of 5 day isolation? Pretty good evidence you are no longer contagious.

But, what about false negative antigen test (i.e. person still contagious)? That's pretty rare.

But if you want to be extra careful (for nursing home workers), you could require 2 negative antigen tests. At that point, I’m not sure why you’d continue isolating someone.

Two more things:
1. If you test + on rapid antigen, you are contagious (vaccinated or not). And isolating for 5 days and repeating antigen test makes sense.
2. Data from Delta suggests vaccinated folks have shorter contagiousness period - expect same with Omicron.

Therefore, if you want to be even more cautious limit 5 days isolation and a neg antigen test to only vaccinated folks.

NYC strategy: 5 days isolation and then high quality masking for another 5 days. That’s reasonable. I’d love a negative antigen test on top if possible.

Bottom line? Isolating COVID + people all about stopping transmission. Different people contagious for different periods of time. 10 days isolation for everyone is unnecessary.

Luckily, we don’t have to guess. We have antigen tests (I know, not enough…but they're coming). 5 days and 1-2 neg antigen tests should be enough to end isolation. Not just for healthcare workers, but for moms and dads getting back to kids. Hourly workers who don’t get paid when home. Really for anyone who doesn’t want to be isolating when they don’t need to be

Thread suggests adding antigen tests to the guidelines. Makes perfect sense. Current CDC guidelines do not. Makes no sense.

I'll also add that the bit about getting people back to work (Fauci) chafes me as well. I know one health care worker who feels this is a slap in the face to allow (or force) them back to work and potentially put patients at risk.
For heaven's sake. Have we learned NOTHING this past year?

Do you not understand that easily 40%+ of our population have come nowhere near a covid test? And have ZERO interest in isolation? And have ZERO interest in vaccinations?

Every point in the above post ASSUMES that Americans WANT to take Covid tests multiple times per week/month. That ain't happening.

We have real world data now, folks. The Pandemic is over from a practical definition. Vaccine are available to end the pandemic from a medical definition.

Testing won't help. Isolation won't help. Why? Because the uvaxxed don't give a rat's *ss about any of this.

You're spinning wheels. This is why Biden and my governor Polis are washing their hands of it all.......you can't fix these people. So why waste effort and money trying to fix the unfixable?
Bart

Post by Bart »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:28 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:05 am So how do we deal with Omicron - a Twitter thread from yesterday:

(Ashish K. Jha, MD, MPH)
As Omicron cases explode we need a strategy for isolating folks who test positive. We need to think about the purpose of isolation clearly. Because if we don't get it right, it'll both be hugely disruptive and won't keep us safe.

First principles: Why ask people to isolate at all? Well, that’s obvious - we don’t want them spreading. So what we care about is CONTAGIOUSNESS. We want folks to isolate when they're contagious.

Take the average person who tests PCR+ today. How long will they be contagious? The average person who tests PCR+ today? Some will be contagious for 2 days. Others for 5 or (rarely) 10 days.

But here’s the kicker: Some for zero days – because they tested + after no longer being contagious!

Confusing.

But thankfully, we have tools to figure this out. So let’s look at what we know. Here’s a graphic from @FT by @jburnmurdoch that's adapted from @michaelmina_lab piece in @NEJM. Simply speaking, there are three periods of time you can be PCR+ (I label as A, B, and C). Its an excellent graphic and critical to this whole story
There is very short pre-contagious period where folks are PCR + but rapid antigen negative labeled A.

There is post contagious period: PCR +, Antigen neg, which can last many, many days labeled C.

The graph shows “infectious” period of about 5 days, but it can be longer. That’s why CDC defaults to 10 days to be safe.

But here's the thing - 10 day isolation uses the mental model that either people test + in Phase A/early Phase B or have symptoms beginning of phase B. But many people have little or no symptoms (especially vaccinated folks) and many folks get tested late in phase B or even in phase C.

Which is why studies show that many PCR+ have high CT values (low viral load). These are people testing positive but no longer contagious!

So what to do? We need a simple, workable solution that works across scenarios - works for everyone, not just in healthcare. So here's why 5 days of isolation and negative antigen test is reasonable, even cautious.

So for average person if you isolate for 5 days, you are likely no longer contagious. But for rare person who might still be? That’s where antigen “contagiousness” test comes in. Negative antigen on top of 5 day isolation? Pretty good evidence you are no longer contagious.

But, what about false negative antigen test (i.e. person still contagious)? That's pretty rare.

But if you want to be extra careful (for nursing home workers), you could require 2 negative antigen tests. At that point, I’m not sure why you’d continue isolating someone.

Two more things:
1. If you test + on rapid antigen, you are contagious (vaccinated or not). And isolating for 5 days and repeating antigen test makes sense.
2. Data from Delta suggests vaccinated folks have shorter contagiousness period - expect same with Omicron.

Therefore, if you want to be even more cautious limit 5 days isolation and a neg antigen test to only vaccinated folks.

NYC strategy: 5 days isolation and then high quality masking for another 5 days. That’s reasonable. I’d love a negative antigen test on top if possible.

Bottom line? Isolating COVID + people all about stopping transmission. Different people contagious for different periods of time. 10 days isolation for everyone is unnecessary.

Luckily, we don’t have to guess. We have antigen tests (I know, not enough…but they're coming). 5 days and 1-2 neg antigen tests should be enough to end isolation. Not just for healthcare workers, but for moms and dads getting back to kids. Hourly workers who don’t get paid when home. Really for anyone who doesn’t want to be isolating when they don’t need to be

Thread suggests adding antigen tests to the guidelines. Makes perfect sense. Current CDC guidelines do not. Makes no sense.

I'll also add that the bit about getting people back to work (Fauci) chafes me as well. I know one health care worker who feels this is a slap in the face to allow (or force) them back to work and potentially put patients at risk.

Do you not understand that easily 40%+ of our population have come nowhere near a covid test? And have ZERO interest in isolation? And have ZERO interest in vaccinations?

Every point in the above post ASSUMES that Americans WANT to take Covid tests multiple times per week/month. That ain't happening.

We have real world data now, folks. The Pandemic is over from a practical definition. Vaccine are available to end the pandemic from a medical definition.

Testing won't help. Isolation won't help. Why? Because the uvaxxed don't give a rat's *ss about any of this.

You're spinning wheels. This is why Biden and my governor Polis are washing their hands of it all.......you can't fix these people. So why waste effort and money trying to fix the unfixable?
Let it rip then.
ggait

Post by ggait »

+1
You're spinning wheels. Thiand money trying to fix the unfixable?s is why Biden and my governor Polis are washing their hands of it all.......you can't fix these people. So why waste effort
We really should take every opportunity that we have to stick it to the selfish mouth breathers. Who continue to fork everything up for the rest of us.

Not to be vindictive (although they certainly deserve it). But because they continue to externalize the negative effects of their misguided-ness to the rest of us. Which is unfair and unsafe.

Make the MBs sit in 10+ days of Q because they really do pose a greater risk of spread. But if you are doing the right thing (getting your shots and testing and masking) then you merit a less intrusive protocol. This is what colleges (almost 100% vaxed) have been doing during the fall semester..

Of course good luck getting the MBs to actually do their 10 days. Which is why we should have been vax passporting and surcharging them like crazy since 2021 mid-year.

We have been far to accommodating to these people. Who have demonstrated, in spades, that they will continue to fork things up for the rest of us until we give them the sticks (carrots don't work with the deplorables) they deserve.
Last edited by ggait on Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Bart wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:42 pm

(Ashish K. Jha, MD, MPH)

Confusing.

Two more things:

Let it rip then.
Sadly, that's where we are. You can't have 40% of Americans unwilling to pick up the rope and pull, and not have this have massive repercussions in our national health programs. The math simply doesn't work if nearly half of America won't vaccinate, self test, isolate, or wear masks.

So what do you do? You make the only move you can: one world for the vaccinated, and one world for the unvaccinated. That's it. That's the only card left in the deck.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I'd also wish that some should just stop talking. I don't really need to hear from Tony Fauci multiple times every day ruminating on the same things over and over again. Ditto for all the talking heads on TV. Enough already. Often all the talking makes things worse, confuses some and give others the ammunition to tee off on the government for whatever they say on any given day.

I'm going to listen to my state government - Governor and Dept of Health who have been very good at updating citizens on what's up and what is going to happen as soon as they know about it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:57 am Geez a fan, you're still all hung up on Ivermectin. IVM is not what I've been talking about. What I 'm saying is that Paxlovid should have been available sooner. IMO, there was such emphasis placed on vaccination that the new therapeutics were put on the slow track. That strategy may have made some sense early on until vaccination numbers plateaued. Now mandates will be the only mechanism to change that. If Paxlovid had been readily available sooner for early treatment, sick people would have survived. No brainer...
I didn't say one word about invermectin. Should i pull a tech, and freak out because you're putting words in my mouth? ;)
tech37 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:57 am Argh. Yes, vaccines work but so will therapeutics (Paxlovid a fan) in a different capacity. A balanced approach utilizing both doesn't make sense? We can continue to beat ourselves up over who is and who isn't vaccinated or we can add a tool most everyone will take (just like aspirin for a headache) should they come down with Covid. It should be that available/automatic IMO, then we'll beat this thing.
You're assuming that all the people taking these pills are rational, educated patients, tech. That's not who we're dealing with here.

This pill is largely for the unvaxxed. So guess what that means? Demographically? Poor, rural, skeptical of science, more likely to be uninsured.....not exactly a recipe for knowing that they have covid, and for taking the pill at the right time...which is EVERYTHING with these treatments.

How do you get an anti-vaxxer to just execute step one, which is to take a Covid test? Good luck with that. It's sad. It sucks. But here we are.....
tech37 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:57 am Perhaps in time new Covid vaccines will be developed that don't carry the same stigma for many that the current ones seem to and more people will voluntarily get vaccinated.
So blow money on differently colored life vests, hoping that they'll prefer purple to orange?

Is FoxNation or guys like Joe Rogan shutting down anytime soon? No, right? So we're stuck.
Bart

Post by Bart »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:52 pm
Bart wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:42 pm

(Ashish K. Jha, MD, MPH)

Confusing.

Two more things:

Let it rip then.
Sadly, that's where we are. You can't have 40% of Americans unwilling to pick up the rope and pull, and not have this have massive repercussions in our national health programs. The math simply doesn't work if nearly half of America won't vaccinate, self test, isolate, or wear masks.

So what do you do? You make the only move you can: one world for the vaccinated, and one world for the unvaccinated. That's it. That's the only card left in the deck.
What do you do? Let er' rip. Good luck to all. Remove all mandates, masks, testing, rehire all those who lost their jobs due to mandates. Vaccinated individuals should be ok........let it rip.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:29 pm ...I stupidly thought that we'd be at 90%+ vaccine rate when I wrote that back in 2020. It never occurred to me that we're in a post-Trump world. I assumed that 30 extra days in a pandemic cost WAY more than some piddly factory would....thinking everyone would be clamoring for the vaccines.
Is it Trump's fault that unvxxed rates in the EU also remain too high ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59283128
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

a fan wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:29 pm
...I stupidly thought that we'd be at 90%+ vaccine rate when I wrote that back in 2020. It never occurred to me that we're in a post-Trump world. I assumed that 30 extra days in a pandemic cost WAY more than some piddly factory would....thinking everyone would be clamoring for the vaccines.

Trust me, they have plenty of the types described above in Europe. Look at politicians like Le Pen in France.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:18 am I don’t recall you pointing out any of Trump’s epic fails. Hypocrite.
You were too busy trying to be a wise ass, posting youtube clips, and keeping your post count high, that you could never see, and still not see, that I spend much of my time trying to make it clear that both sides are master BS artists. You tend to do the very same them, just from the otherside of the street. Maybe that is why you pick on me so much.....we are too much alike :P :lol: .
No. I know BS when I see it….an obligatory criticism of Trump is just fake cover. The aggregation of your post says otherwise. The volume of your criticisms of Biden are multiples of Trump and the guy is one year in office. Let’s Go Brandon!!

PS….not sure I have seen many post defending anything Biden has done….me, I don’t care what he does. I said it before he was elected. I don’t care.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:28 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:55 am Biden - There is no federal solution. This gets solved at a state level.

Meanwhile.....there is that "federal" mandate that Biden implemented months ago as a "federal" solution. And, as discussed yesterday, they halted all those 500 mm tests that we the states people are now scrambling to find, followed by putting therapeutics on hold, as noted in the last post. Almost, makes you think they know exactly what they are trying to do.
I understand it is important for you to "find" and believe that "Biden is Bad." I picture you and Kramer with special hats, and maybe a password, known to Jared Schmeck. But you do seem to not have a really good idea of how stuff gets done in this country. Biden is the federal CEO, literally. He can use tools to compel people within executive regulatory power to do things. He cannot, without support in Congress and in the several States, compel citizens to do things. So his statement about the pandemic being defeated at the state level is a statement of political and legal fact. That's all.

Yes, they miscalculated and missed the goal on the tests, and we are paying for it. At least they are pretty transparent about it and not doing the Kushner "economy will be rockin'" BS. Meanwhile, his administration has overseen the vaccination of tens of millions of Americans; passed a stimulus bill to keep the country moving forward; passed the largest infrastructure bill in several generations; overseen a remarkable increase in jobs, wages and GDP; and placed forty judges, mostly women, on the federal bench. In the process, he hasn't mocked anyone with disabilities, or demonized everyone who disagrees with him, or given aid and comfort and sunlight to white supremacists, or required his Cabinet to give off the cuff, on the record panegyrics to his overall greatness.
...they "miscalculated" that Thanksgiving--Xmas--New Years would happen his year. producing record testing demand for travel & gatherings.
Just like they miscalculated on if/how/when to abandon Afghanistan,
or "miscalculated" the impact of their energy policy on gas prices,
or miscalculated the impact trillions more in unfunded deficit spending would have on inflation.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Andersen wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:34 pm
...I stupidly thought that we'd be at 90%+ vaccine rate when I wrote that back in 2020. It never occurred to me that we're in a post-Trump world. I assumed that 30 extra days in a pandemic cost WAY more than some piddly factory would....thinking everyone would be clamoring for the vaccines.

Trust me, they have plenty of the types described above in Europe. Look at politicians like Le Pen in France.
Funny how that sort of thing tends to happen in democracies.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Yet, nothing democratic about Farage, Le Pen or Trump.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

tech37 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:57 am
Perhaps in time new Covid vaccines will be developed that don't carry the same stigma for many that the current ones seem to and more people will voluntarily get vaccinated.
Wow -- this just dumb turned up to 11.

There's plenty of polls and surveys that have been done on this. The remaining MAGA/red mouth breathers say they will never ever ever take a vaccine. The blue refuse-niks at least say they might get the shot someday (but we know they never will). They are unreachable. So you just need to hit them with sticks (no shot no job; no shot, pay $200 bucks extra on your insurance).

Delta Airlines proved months ago that it is a complete waste of time to reason with these people or treat them nicely. Forget about the carrots.

Just hit them with a very small stick, and they will fold like a lawn chair. Kind of like smacking your dog on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.
Last edited by ggait on Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:12 am Could you imagine if Delta had this same level of spread? We have been lucky.
Isn't this the way a virus typically mutates ? Severity vs transmissibility.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Andersen wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:49 pm Yet, nothing democratic about Farage, Le Pen or Trump.
Millions voted for them.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Andersen wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:34 pm

Oh, I believe you. I have plenty of peers working in UK/Europe.
Bart

Post by Bart »

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:12 am Could you imagine if Delta had this same level of spread? We have been lucky.
Isn't this the way a virus typically mutates ? Severity vs transmissibility.
No.

Return to “POLITICS”