Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by Relax77 »

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:51 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:27 pm
BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:40 pm
lacrossemwj wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:00 pm
spidey44 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:42 am
Relax77 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:43 pm
flushlax77 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:29 pm Really interested to see how USF does. Conference is undoubtedly weaker with the departure of Florida to the Big 12. JMU graduates quite a bit as well. Could they somehow be the 2nd best team behind them? With the line up they are trotting out, I could see them beating Vanderbilt and ECU in year one. They will be able to score some goals, but haven’t seen many defensive impact transfers come in.
I agree. Looks like 2nd. Probably needs another year or two to take JMU spot, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do.
Pulling out 2nd in the conference their first year out would be impressive (not that the conference is loaded especially with Florida gone). I'd be a bit skeptical given their youth. Definitely need to lock up some veteran transfers.

Also curious about their schedule. Will they pull a Clemson and beat up on bottom feeders too?
I may be misunderstanding, but is it necessary to refer to other teams as bottom feeders?
I agree with this post . While I know we sports fans sometimes use this kind of language - being a parent of an athlete makes me wince a little bit.
What term would be acceptable for you guys? Assuming cellar dweller, stepping stone, bottom rung, stragglers, basement teams don't work either...
Victory challenged?
Yes I agree. Horrible form calling lower ranked teams in a division “bottom feeders.” Also please start looking up kid’s preferred pronouns before labeling them she/her. They may be a they. Don’t want to insult anyone if by chance they or their parent reads a post on a lax forum and get upset. Although good on you Spidey for apologizing.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

flushlax77 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:29 pm Really interested to see how USF does. Conference is undoubtedly weaker with the departure of Florida to the Big 12. JMU graduates quite a bit as well. Could they somehow be the 2nd best team behind them? With the line up they are trotting out, I could see them beating Vanderbilt and ECU in year one. They will be able to score some goals, but haven’t seen many defensive impact transfers come in.
I agree. Looks like 2nd. Probably needs another year or two to take JMU spot, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do.
Pulling out 2nd in the conference their first year out would be impressive (not that the conference is loaded especially with Florida gone). I'd be a bit skeptical given their youth. Definitely need to lock up some veteran transfers.

Also curious about their schedule. Will they pull a Clemson and beat up on bottom feeders too?
LOL!
Duke had the #13 Strength of Schedule.
Clemson had the #20 Strength of Schedule.

What the hell are you talking about?!?

Reference:
https://lacrossereference.com/stats/str ... -d1-women/
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:59 am

LOL!
Duke had the #13 Strength of Schedule.
Clemson had the #20 Strength of Schedule.

What the hell are you talking about?!?

Reference:
https://lacrossereference.com/stats/str ... -d1-women/
SOS is based on the average RPI of your top 10 opponents. It is in no way reflective of the full schedule. Duke did improve their schedule this year based on previous years, but Clemson's OOC was a joke.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

AND I was specifically talking about their OOC schedule which we can all agree is not very impressive.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

In an attempt to bring this back to the topic -

What does Clemson and Duke need to do in the transfer portal to take the next step

(For Clemson I guess that would be making the tournament, for Duke - I guess Final 4?)

Not sure about what Duke recruiting is - but I can’t believe Clemson could really be doing better there …

So what do they need to do in the portal?

(For the record - I think the only way for both of them to move forward in the Acc is for a team ahead of the them to fall - and I don’t see that happening. What they should do is jump conferences - like the rest of their sports want to do)
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:33 am AND I was specifically talking about their OOC schedule which we can all agree is not very impressive.
That's like going after Bama's out of conference football schedule when they play UGA, LSU, Missouri, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Auburn. Who cares that they play WKU, USF, Wisconsin, and Mercer?!?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:49 am
spidey44 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:33 am AND I was specifically talking about their OOC schedule which we can all agree is not very impressive.
That's like going after Bama's out of conference football schedule when they play UGA, LSU, Missouri, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Auburn. Who cares that they play WKU, USF, Wisconsin, and Mercer?!?
Well if they want to get into the tourney, they're going to have to beat someone good...
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

BigRedChant wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:45 am In an attempt to bring this back to the topic -

What does Clemson and Duke need to do in the transfer portal to take the next step

(For Clemson I guess that would be making the tournament, for Duke - I guess Final 4?)

Not sure about what Duke recruiting is - but I can’t believe Clemson could really be doing better there …

(For the record - I think the only way for both of them to move forward in the Acc is for a team ahead of the them to fall - and I don’t see that happening. What they should do is jump conferences - like the rest of their sports want to do)
If you're talking this year only, you may be right. If you're talking longer than that, Duke and Clemson are in very different situations with what's going on with NCAA court rulings and conference realignment. I think that's about to be on display very soon with the Floridas, Clemsons, Ohio States, etc of the world. I'm convinced historically good schools like BC, Duke, Cuse, etc start to see the financial writing on the wall and realize that they are a lower tier.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:51 am
LiveLaxLove wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:49 am
Well if they want to get into the tourney, they're going to have to beat someone good...
Duke beat UVA and got in, even though they got smoked (running clock) at home by Clemson.
Clemson took ND to Overtime and was an inch away from beating them. They win that game, they're in.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

BigRedChant wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:45 am In an attempt to bring this back to the topic -

Clemson will be the first to go (not including FSU here since lax hasn't started up yet). And where football leads, the others follow. A Big 10 move for the Tigers puts lax in a bit better position than they're in currently (conference wise), but still would have to prove themselves against Hopkins, Penn State and MD (not bothering comparing them to the Cats yet). If Clemson goes to the SEC, perhaps Clemson would be the Florida replacement in the AAC making them the defacto top 2 team (or make an SEC lax league more likely...).
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:56 am

Clemson will be the first to go (not including FSU here since lax hasn't started up yet). And where football leads, the others follow. A Big 10 move for the Tigers puts lax in a bit better position than they're in currently (conference wise), but still would have to prove themselves against Hopkins, Penn State and MD (not bothering comparing them to the Cats yet). If Clemson goes to the SEC, perhaps Clemson would be the Florida replacement in the AAC making them the defacto top 2 team (or make an SEC lax league more likely...).
You really think Hopkins can hang with those schools in a few years when those schools have:
1. Unlimited full scholarships (up to roster caps)
2. World class facilities
3. Best support (charter flights, treatment, nutrition, etc.)
4. Major NIL programs that produce huge platforms
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:03 am

You really think Hopkins can hang with those schools in a few years when those schools have:
I actually don’t know how Hopkins can pay for the travel of new Big10.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

I think you forgot to list Michigan, Ohio state, Oregon, and USC with almost unlimited football $ to spend .

Clemson wlax has to hope the school joins sec do they can join big 12 or American and challenge for top 2 spots.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

You really think schools will be spending money on a lot of those things for wlax players? Hopkins only has 2 D1 teams, men's and women's lax. They don't have to support 20+ D1 programs. They have their own lax facility that has just recently been renovated. On the men's side, Hopkins NIL program is on par with most top schools. Are we going to pretend that there are a lot of wlax players pulling in major NIL money? Not to mention, many Hopkins players don't use scholarship money thanks to the Mike Bloomberg donation. By your logic, the Ivy League may as well cancel lacrosse too. We're not talking about a revenue generating sport here.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

BigRedChant wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:08 am

I think you forgot to list Michigan, Ohio state, Oregon, and USC with almost unlimited football $ to spend .

Clemson wlax has to hope the school joins sec do they can join big 12 or American and challenge for top 2 spots.
I forgot Michigan (I think Clemson is well above OSU currently). Didn't even think about USC! Totally wasn't thinking about their jump.

And until the new "rules" (whatever those will be) are in place, I've got Hop above Clemson. My points are all made with the current rules/limitations/etc. in place.

***Edited to add hmmm with very valid points!
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

I agree that clemson is above Ohio state currently -

But they should both be at the same level soon if the new osu coach is doing her job.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

hmmm wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:10 am

You really think schools will be spending money on a lot of those things for wlax players? Hopkins only has 2 D1 teams, men's and women's lax. They don't have to support 20+ D1 programs. They have their own lax facility that has just recently been renovated. On the men's side, Hopkins NIL program is on par with most top schools. Are we going to pretend that there are a lot of wlax players pulling in major NIL money? Not to mention, many Hopkins players don't use scholarship money thanks to the Mike Bloomberg donation. By your logic, the Ivy League may as well cancel lacrosse too. We're not talking about a revenue generating sport here.
Great points. I should clarify, there are 3 opportunities for money for athletes in college:
1. Scholarships (What programs can offer every player on the roster a full scholarship?)
2. NIL (WLax hasn't seen big time money coming in, like WBB, but has definitely had players earning NIL contracts.)
3. New NCAA Approved ~$21-22M Pay for Players (With Title IX, you can expect half of that to go to women's sports. What schools can afford that? Louisville Athletic Director just said they definitely don't have an extra $20M in the budget every year... who CAN pay that?)

My point: Hopkins won't be able to touch all 3, PLUS maintain facilities, support, etc, like PSU, Ohio State, Clemson, the rest of the B1G/SEC.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

BigRedChant wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:06 am

I actually don’t know how Hopkins can pay for the travel of new Big10.
Straight heat here...Hopkins views their lacrosse programs as marketing arms for a largely non-athletic school tied to one of the best medical systems in the country (and that is where the $ comes from to fund the athletic marketing arm).
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

Because the school is so awesome and it’s smack dab in the hotbed - I think Hopkins should do fine recruiting very good wlax players …

I just don’t know how they can afford to travel in the B10.

The Ivies should continue to be ok because of the school and they travel a reasonable amount
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

As only an affiliate member of the BIG10, I would not be surprised if Hopkins gets pushed out at of the conference. Where they would end up remains to be seen.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”