Transfer Portal 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
spidey44

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:43 pm
flushlax77 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:29 pm Really interested to see how USF does. Conference is undoubtedly weaker with the departure of Florida to the Big 12. JMU graduates quite a bit as well. Could they somehow be the 2nd best team behind them? With the line up they are trotting out, I could see them beating Vanderbilt and ECU in year one. They will be able to score some goals, but haven’t seen many defensive impact transfers come in.
I agree. Looks like 2nd. Probably needs another year or two to take JMU spot, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do.
Pulling out 2nd in the conference their first year out would be impressive (not that the conference is loaded especially with Florida gone). I'd be a bit skeptical given their youth. Definitely need to lock up some veteran transfers.

Also curious about their schedule. Will they pull a Clemson and beat up on bottom feeders too?
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:42 am
flushlax77 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:29 pm Really interested to see how USF does. Conference is undoubtedly weaker with the departure of Florida to the Big 12. JMU graduates quite a bit as well. Could they somehow be the 2nd best team behind them? With the line up they are trotting out, I could see them beating Vanderbilt and ECU in year one. They will be able to score some goals, but haven’t seen many defensive impact transfers come in.
I agree. Looks like 2nd. Probably needs another year or two to take JMU spot, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do.
Pulling out 2nd in the conference their first year out would be impressive (not that the conference is loaded especially with Florida gone). I'd be a bit skeptical given their youth. Definitely need to lock up some veteran transfers.

Also curious about their schedule. Will they pull a Clemson and beat up on bottom feeders too?

Two completely different situations. Clemson hired their coach at the end of July, have her a year to recruit with no kids on campus and played the next year so depended on the transfer portal and didn’t have the year of recruiting and the year zero. I would have played the same schedule especially when playing a full ACC schedule as well (AAC doesn’t compare by any stretch, we both know that).

USF should be more like Pitt who had the “year zero” to train with their team and had 2 classes plus 2 transfer classes to pick from. They should be a more well established team. Pitt played the MAC to balance out the crazy ACC gauntlet that they had to go through.

I do think that USF is flying too close to the sun when it’s comes to recruiting. I have heard Club coaches are already getting tired of the way they mess around with kids and their overpromising to recruits.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

flushlax77 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:08 am

Two completely different situations. Clemson hired their coach at the end of July, have her a year to recruit with no kids on campus and played the next year so depended on the transfer portal and didn’t have the year of recruiting and the year zero. I would have played the same schedule especially when playing a full ACC schedule as well (AAC doesn’t compare by any stretch, we both know that).

USF should be more like Pitt who had the “year zero” to train with their team and had 2 classes plus 2 transfer classes to pick from. They should be a more well established team. Pitt played the MAC to balance out the crazy ACC gauntlet that they had to go through.

I do think that USF is flying too close to the sun when it’s comes to recruiting. I have heard Club coaches are already getting tired of the way they mess around with kids and their overpromising to recruits.
Then what was Clemson's excuse year 2? Wouldn't surprise me if USF has a mixed bag of OOC opponents. Obviously in conference isn't close to ACC, but could see them playing Florida and one or 2 other top 25/30 teams. Assume they'll play Jax too.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

Whatever USF’s ceiling is - I would imagine they reach it pretty quickly. They have a proven coach (in building a program and winning) and now she has a football program to help her.

But I don’t see how they overtake JMU (better program, probably better football) as long as they are in the same conference.

And I can understand why any girl/family would be excited to play good lacrosse and win a bunch of games- but as a fan without any personal connection… if you aren’t going to win a conference championship and you aren’t going to make the NCAA tournament - doesn’t that just mean they are another “just fine” program and nothing more.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Do we know when those in the portal have to decide by? I know the portal was open for about a month, but then is there a deadline where a decision has to be made? I think I saw somewhere there's another window that opens around the beginning of september or something...
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

The players had to be in the portal by Monday June 10. Grad students can go in any time. There is no time that they have to get out by. The next period for all Spring sports is December 1-15.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

And I can understand why any girl/family would be excited to play good lacrosse and win a bunch of games- but as a fan without any personal connection… if you aren’t going to win a conference championship and you aren’t going to make the NCAA tournament - doesn’t that just mean they are another “just fine” program and nothing more.
And nothing wrong with that. Kids should be picking the school anyway.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

I may be misunderstanding, but is it necessary to refer to other teams as bottom feeders?
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

lacrossemwj wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:00 pm

I may be misunderstanding, but is it necessary to refer to other teams as bottom feeders?
I agree with this post . While I know we sports fans sometimes use this kind of language - being a parent of an athlete makes me wince a little bit.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

laxfan9999 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:50 am The players had to be in the portal by Monday June 10. Grad students can go in any time. There is no time that they have to get out by. The next period for all Spring sports is December 1-15.
What does the portal closing mean exactly? And when do athletes have to make their decision by?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:40 pm

I agree with this post . While I know we sports fans sometimes use this kind of language - being a parent of an athlete makes me wince a little bit.
Sorry, that was a cheap shot. I just think the Duke's and Clemson's of the GLax world should be padding their resumes by challenging themselves rather than beating up on programs with fewer resources. BUT it worked out fine for Duke this year... Anyway, I'll choose my words better next time. I do mean to take shots at Duke and Clemson, not those other programs ;)
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

I have a lot of respect for the players at those programs (as I do for all D1 players ) - but I also agree it is fun to take shots at Duke and Clemson !
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:57 pm I have a lot of respect for the players at those programs (as I do for all D1 players ) - but I also agree it is fun to take shots at Duke and Clemson !
I have a daughter that plays at a D3 school and know how much work they put in. I have respect for all the girls playing and studying no matter the level!
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Jaylen Rosga is in the portal. Awful lot of hype for her going into college. Unfair expectations.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

hmmm wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:22 pm Jaylen Rosga is in the portal. Awful lot of hype for her going into college. Unfair expectations.
Another blue chip Maryland recruit we never get to see on the field much in College Park now heading elsewhere...vegas money says heading north up 81.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

What term would be acceptable for you guys? Assuming cellar dweller, stepping stone, bottom rung, stragglers, basement teams don't work either...
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

intheknow247 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:19 pm
hmmm wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:22 pm Jaylen Rosga is in the portal. Awful lot of hype for her going into college. Unfair expectations.
Another blue chip Maryland recruit we never get to see on the field much in College Park now heading elsewhere...vegas money says heading north up 81.

I would guess closer to home. The whole 22 recruiting class has been underwhelming.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

laxfan9999 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:39 pm

I would guess closer to home. The whole 22 recruiting class has been underwhelming.
The "recruited over zoom" class. Lots of guesses on both sides.
Bart

Post by Bart »

intheknow247 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:27 pm

What term would be acceptable for you guys? Assuming cellar dweller, stepping stone, bottom rung, stragglers, basement teams don't work either...
Victory challenged?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

My guess is syracuse.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”