CNU 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxguy703

Re: CNU 2023

Post by Laxguy703 »

Oaklax wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:29 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:19 pm Ugly and sloppy win by the Captains. They need to realize they don't have the same guys as last year on defense and can't be pressuring out/throwing crazy checks. A lot of that sloppy defensive play lead to easy goals for ST. John Fisher.

Pros:
- Outside of a couple plays where they were trying to force it, the offense played well. They ran into a hot goalkeeper and still put up 16 goals. I think if they stopped shooting low every time, they could've put up 18-20.
- Cook and Auslander combine for 10 Points and show the country why they are 2 POY candidates.
- Cabbanis dominates with another dominate performance going 22-27 and collecting 15 GB's. That kid continues to impress and is well on his way to being a 1st Team AA if he keeps it up.
- Outside of a few ill-advised shots, Pozin played well.
- Sands, the former FO guy is really coming into his own as a D-Mid.

Cons
- Defense is playing way too sloppy. They look lost at times and have given up 3-4 early offense goals in every game this year. It hasn't hurt them yet, but in a game against a good opponent like RIT, it will.
- D Mids were getting beat way too easily in the first half. Someone needs to tell #31 to move his feet and stop lunging after every dodge.
- Offense needs to settle down at times. They are too good to be throwing 25 yard skip passes into the crease 10 seconds into the shot clock. They have some of the most talented guys in the country. Settle it down and look for the best shot.
- Depth didn't look great today. 2nd line O didn't produce any points.
- Hanway did make some good saves, but still under 50% on the year. Need to see more out of a returning senior AA goalie
- Penalties. The refs were a bit soft at times, but they need to clean it up with all the careless mistakes

All in all, St. John Fisher wasn't as bad as I thought they were and looked way better than they did against Cortland. I can see them making their way back into the top 20 by the end of the year.

Still a solid win for CNU. They are missing a first line middie and a starting D-mid, didn't play their best, ran into a hot goalie, and still ended up winning comfortably. Rather have this game now than in May
Very Spot on with this post! Dmids are pressuring our way too far and throwing checks instead of moving their feet and driving the O down the ally. Close Defense sometimes rely on the overhead checks and get beat with no slide from the crease.

Offense forced a lot of passes but still can shoot lights out and out hustle the defense to score fast.

Easy fixes, but last couple games CNU has been down early in the first 5 min. Can’t do that next week vs RIT and Dickinson.

Who were the 1st line Mid and SSDM missing? They put extended time or will be back soon?
Agreed. A lot of that stuff is fixable and I have no doubt the coaches will be locking in on that stuff.

Robby Adams is the 1st line Mid missing. He put up 30 points on the second line last year and really fits the style of offense that CNU runs. He can score from anywhere and has a real high lax IQ. I was told he will be back next month after an unfortunate injury. Aidan Wheeler is the starting D-Mid I was mentioning. He has been a real lock down guy for the captains and has been dealing with a minor injury. I was told it was more of a precautionary thing. He took 1 or 2 runs today, but the Captains quickly pulled him.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Big "prove it" kind of weekend for the Captains. They have some wins over a few okay teams, but this weekend will really give them a chance to start building that resume.

I think the RIT game will be a hard fought battle between both teams. They have similar styles of play in the sense that they move the ball really quickly, can shoot the s**t out of the ball, and like to push transition. The biggest thing in this game will be faceoffs. If RIT goes over 50%, then I think they win by 3 or 4, but if CNU controls the X then I see them winning tightly.

Dickinson should be an interesting one. The Captains style of play should overwhelm the Red Devils. Especially with their zone defense. I think the only way that Dickinson wins this game is if their goalie has a big day in cage.

If they can leave this weekend going 1-1, I will be content. That will at least add a win against a top 10 team into their resume. 2-0 and I will be ecstatic. 0-2 and I will be extremely disappointed.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:32 pm Big "prove it" kind of weekend for the Captains. They have some wins over a few okay teams, but this weekend will really give them a chance to start building that resume.

I think the RIT game will be a hard fought battle between both teams. They have similar styles of play in the sense that they move the ball really quickly, can shoot the s**t out of the ball, and like to push transition. The biggest thing in this game will be faceoffs. If RIT goes over 50%, then I think they win by 3 or 4, but if CNU controls the X then I see them winning tightly.

Dickinson should be an interesting one. The Captains style of play should overwhelm the Red Devils. Especially with their zone defense. I think the only way that Dickinson wins this game is if their goalie has a big day in cage.

If they can leave this weekend going 1-1, I will be content. That will at least add a win against a top 10 team into their resume. 2-0 and I will be ecstatic. 0-2 and I will be extremely disappointed.
I don’t think RIT is as strong as the past. They are still a great team, just not as dominant as the past two seasons. Unless CNU collapses, I expect them to win both games this weekend. I don’t think the Dickinson game will be close.
CNU 18
RIT 15

CNU 22
Dickinson 10
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Statement win by the captains vs RIT! What a great game
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

AbeFroeman wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:15 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:32 pm Big "prove it" kind of weekend for the Captains. They have some wins over a few okay teams, but this weekend will really give them a chance to start building that resume.

I don’t think RIT is as strong as the past. They are still a great team, just not as dominant as the past two seasons. Unless CNU collapses, I expect them to win both games this weekend. I don’t think the Dickinson game will be close.
CNU 18
RIT 15

CNU 22
Dickinson 10
McKee vs Cabaniss, might be the difference.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Way too many defensive breakdowns in the first half. SSDM are getting loose and over helping leaving their men wide open for a score…. Tired legs I assume over yesterday great win vs RIT…
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Oaklax wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:39 pm Way too many defensive breakdowns in the first half. SSDM are getting loose and over helping leaving their men wide open for a score…. Tired legs I assume over yesterday great win vs RIT…
Very sloppy. Better get it together at halftime
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

AbeFroeman wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:41 pm
Oaklax wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:39 pm Way too many defensive breakdowns in the first half. SSDM are getting loose and over helping leaving their men wide open for a score…. Tired legs I assume over yesterday great win vs RIT…
Very sloppy. Better get it together at halftime

Have noticed they are a solid second half team after slow starts in the 1st half. But not sure what’s left in their tank… hopefully yesterdays win didn’t get in their heads that much. Dickinson is a very good team, but them losing to Stevenson in OT last night hurt their stock a bit.
mdlaxdad

Post by mdlaxdad »

Big week to stay on top with a battle in Lexington on Wednesday night under the lights. I am curious how this past weekend will impact the legs of the players who played significant minutes in both games. Anyone know about who will be healthy/injured before the game?
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

mdlaxdad wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:19 am Big week to stay on top with a battle in Lexington on Wednesday night under the lights. I am curious how this past weekend will impact the legs of the players who played significant minutes in both games. Anyone know about who will be healthy/injured before the game?
Not sure about injury report, but looked like all starters were still playing at the end vs Dickinson. Hope the boys are rested enough as WL has a solid team this year. This weekend showed CNU can beat the best team (RIT 2x defending champs) and can battle back and finish a game like they did vs Dickinson. Lot of walk throughs and game tape today and tomorrow to rest the legs.

Salisbury and Lynchburg are approaching fast
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Great weekend by the Captains. They showed everyone in the country that they can compete with the best of the best.

It doesn’t get any easier this week as they take on #6 W&L this Wednesday in Lexington at night. Tough environment to play in, but I think this weekend prepared them well for that.

This is a game that will show the mental focus of this team. You just handed the #1 team in the country their second loss in the last 4 years and beat the #7 team in the country all in the span of 2 days.. now how do you respond? Will they be complacent or will they come out and keep dominating?

I think this will be a hard fought game and the Captains will pull away in the second half. Final score CNU 14-10

Looking ahead, they host Hampden-Sydney and Williams before hitting the road to face Lynchburg and Salisbury.. Brutal 7 game stretch for the captains.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Laxguy703 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:51 pm Great weekend by the Captains. They showed everyone in the country that they can compete with the best of the best.

It doesn’t get any easier this week as they take on #6 W&L this Wednesday in Lexington at night. Tough environment to play in, but I think this weekend prepared them well for that.

This is a game that will show the mental focus of this team. You just handed the #1 team in the country their second loss in the last 4 years and beat the #7 team in the country all in the span of 2 days.. now how do you respond? Will they be complacent or will they come out and keep dominating?

I think this will be a hard fought game and the Captains will pull away in the second half. Final score CNU 14-10

Looking ahead, they host Hampden-Sydney and Williams before hitting the road to face Lynchburg and Salisbury.. Brutal 7 game stretch for the captains.
Agreed. One of the toughest schedules that will prepare them come March for the tournament!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

When did men’s lacrosse turn into women’s lacrosse officiating wise…. Any body check I’ve seen is a flag when it’s not even in the head ….. sad to see
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Oaklax wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:41 pm When did men’s lacrosse turn into women’s lacrosse officiating wise…. Any body check I’ve seen is a flag when it’s not even in the head ….. sad to see
Sad but true... and not just for D3. Hard clean hit by CNU was penalized.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:53 pm
Oaklax wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:41 pm When did men’s lacrosse turn into women’s lacrosse officiating wise…. Any body check I’ve seen is a flag when it’s not even in the head ….. sad to see
Sad but true... and not just for D3. Hard clean hit by CNU was penalized.
Right, saw a perfect clean shoulder hit near chest area and it’s like automatic flag now….. sucks to see
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Looked to me like every Captain player on the field this evening is a terrific athlete. There is always room for improvement, and if CNU does improve, watch out! Let's hope this team stays healthy. Good luck to Christopher Newport!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

1 down and 2 to go. CNU will tear thru the rest of the ODAC taking on HSC this weekend then Lynchburg the following. I’ve seen this coming the last 5! Years. CNU has the chance to be the Salisbury of the south. Nice school , nice location and nice price, that now comes with what I think will be a perennial top 10 program. Interested in hearing where my assumptions might be wrong. CNU if I’m not mistaken has state funding support for in state tuition if I’m not mistaken. Sounds familiar doesn’t it. They have a very good coach. The game of lacrosse has expanded exponentially the last ten years in Virginia. Virginia has an outstanding D1 program which kids watch an aspire too. CNU has a marginal advantage at the line of scrimmage at this point vs HSC, Roanoke and Lynchburg in cost, perhaps location and now ranking. I suspect those programs will be tested in pursuing recruits by CNU as the academic profile is not too dissimilar. W&L gets a pass here in that it’s a totally different student athlete. 27 of about 54 are Students from Virginia and may have been higher last year. Virginia high school lax will continue to produce even more quality players the next few years feeding into CNU as a result of them maybe becoming the school of choice by a large segment of talented high school players within the state. Curious as to fans thoughts who know far more about the program than myself.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:42 am 1 down and 2 to go. CNU will tear thru the rest of the ODAC taking on HSC this weekend then Lynchburg the following. I’ve seen this coming the last 5! Years. CNU has the chance to be the Salisbury of the south. Nice school , nice location and nice price, that now comes with what I think will be a perennial top 10 program. Interested in hearing where my assumptions might be wrong. CNU if I’m not mistaken has state funding support for in state tuition if I’m not mistaken. Sounds familiar doesn’t it. They have a very good coach. The game of lacrosse has expanded exponentially the last ten years in Virginia. Virginia has an outstanding D1 program which kids watch an aspire too. CNU has a marginal advantage at the line of scrimmage at this point vs HSC, Roanoke and Lynchburg in cost, perhaps location and now ranking. I suspect those programs will be tested in pursuing recruits by CNU as the academic profile is not too dissimilar. W&L gets a pass here in that it’s a totally different student athlete. 27 of about 54 are Students from Virginia and may have been higher last year. Virginia high school lax will continue to produce even more quality players the next few years feeding into CNU as a result of them maybe becoming the school of choice by a large segment of talented high school players within the state. Curious as to fans thoughts who know far more about the program than myself.
I love the optimism. But my predictions are that CNU has a strong year or two. Maybe competes for a title. Then the 5th year kids are gone and they are left with the latest recruits. Thompson goes D1 and CNU comes back to the rest of the pack

I don’t see a D3 dynasty happening anytime soon. Too much talent out there.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”