CNU 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxguy703

Re: CNU 2023

Post by Laxguy703 »

Great second half today by the Captains.

My takeaways from the game:
- The Offense is still very very good. Moved the ball well, generated a ton of shots, and never let their foot off the gas.
- Losing Rice doesn’t hurt as bad as losing some of those D guys. Jackson stepped in at attack and put up 7 goals. Attack unit as a whole combined for 13 goals and 5 assists.
- Warner is a top 3 FO guy in the country. Grove City threw everything they could at him and he routinely won the clamp and exited with ease.
- The transition D needs a lot of work. They were all out of sorts and gave up some preventable goals.
- The offense has a ton of Depth. They consistently played about 8 or 9 guys so that no one was too tired.
- The defense is still meshing together. I expected a rough start out of the defense and it’s a good sign they were able to settle down and only allow 2 goals in the second half. New starters, Beckmeyer/Young/Kropinski all had good days.

- Grove City has steadily gotten better each year. I expect them to make some noise this year if they can figure it out on D and FO. Their offense is good.
Cnulaxguy

Post by Cnulaxguy »

CNU starters
Attack - Brendes, Miller, Jackson
Midfield - Cook, Auslander, Adams
SSDM - Pozin, Wheeler
Defense - R Young, Beckmeyer, Widhelm
LSM - B Young
FO - Cabaniss
Goal - Hanway
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Solid win for CNU. looking forward to see if they can compete with top 5 talent. We will know in the next month
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Anyone got any predictions for this weekend?

Stevensons biggest weaknesses are faceoff consistency and goalie play. The captains biggest strengths are faceoffs and shooting. That leads me to believe that the captains will win this game pretty easily.

I’m thinking 19-10 CNU. They will be fired up to play a night game on Stevensons historic field and their defense will be fired up after a poor 1st half performance against Grove City. The only chance Stevenson has to win this game is if they go over 50% at the Dot and their goalie stands on his head.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:21 am Anyone got any predictions for this weekend?

Stevensons biggest weaknesses are faceoff consistency and goalie play. The captains biggest strengths are faceoffs and shooting. That leads me to believe that the captains will win this game pretty easily.

I’m thinking 19-10 CNU. They will be fired up to play a night game on Stevensons historic field and their defense will be fired up after a poor 1st half performance against Grove City. The only chance Stevenson has to win this game is if they go over 50% at the Dot and their goalie stands on his head.
Historic field? It’s only like 12 years old
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

I watched the Stevenson game last weekend. They either don’t have an answer at x. Or the guy was missing that game. They struggled, rotating through players , until finally settling on a long pole to defend the guy once he won the faceoff.
Seeing how York easily handled Ursinus, I expect CNU to win by at least 10. Probably much more.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:25 am
Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:21 am Anyone got any predictions for this weekend?

Maybe Historic Field isn’t the right word. But you can’t deny that their field is one of the top fields in D3 and has hosted some very good games(mustang classic games for example) It’s a very cool place to play at night and if you disagree with this take then you have never been a player on that field.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:44 am

Maybe Historic Field isn’t the right word. But you can’t deny that their field is one of the top fields in D3 and has hosted some very good games(mustang classic games for example) It’s a very cool place to play at night and if you disagree with this take then you have never been a player on that field.
The atmosphere is second to none. As a player between the Megan Puls fall ball day, Mustang Classic, and playoff games there's no denying the allure of it. We used to call it The Circus. Fireworks, fog horn after goals, music and trash talk from fans. Great place to play.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:44 am

I agree. Just thought historic was an interesting word.
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

So far good first half against the Mustang’s. Killing it at the X. Slow start but a nice 6 goal run.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Defense is struggling keeping this game a lot closer. Goalie is out of position a lot .. No LSM play… let’s see if the captains can rebound and put this game away. Slow start in the 2nd half. Thankful for WC at the X.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

1 goal off from my original prediction..

Man is this offense fun too watch. Andrew Cook with 9(!!!) goals and he could have had much more. Stevenson tried everything with him and still couldn't stop him from getting a shot off. This offense has so many guys that can go off on any given day which makes them so exciting to watch. Last week it was Brett Jackson and Alex Brendes combining for 14 Points, this week it was Cook and Auslander combining for 16 points.

As long as Cabannis stays healthy, this team will be very hard to beat because I don't see many teams shutting down this offense when they are playing make it take it.

Defensively they just need to settle down and relax. They are trying to play the style they played the past few years by pressing out a ton, but they don't have Wayne and Hines anymore. It is going to take a few games for the new guys to get adjusted and have the defense develop chemistry. I wouldn't push the panic button yet on this group yet, they have 3 All-Americans on that side of the field and they are a very well coached group.

With all that being said, they have had two easy wins to start off the year and should head into a big tilt with St. John Fisher, 4-0.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Interesting game this week. St. John Fisher was such a great team the past few years, but they lost some extremely talented guys due to graduation. This resulted in a 12-5 lost to SUNY Cortland, who is actually pretty good this year.

This is a game CNU should thrive in. They are always fired up for games against good northern programs that they never played before(Last year for example they beat Wesleyan 21-8, Williams 15-2, and Gettysburg 17-11). I see them coming out to make a statement and winning this game by 10-12 goals

Final score: 19-8 CNU

Don't want to look to far ahead, but if all teams win the games they are supposed to, then we can be gearing up for #1 RIT vs. #2 CNU matchup on a Friday evening at the Mustang Classic... That could be one of the better matchups we have ever seen at the Mustang Classic. Has their ever been a #1 Vs. #2 matchup at this event?
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Captains down 3-2 to SJF. looking very sloppy . SSDM are getting burnt and throwing a lot of unnecessary checks while getting beat from up top. Offense is forcing passes. Hopefully CNU can settle in. SJF showed up and look very good.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

CNU commentators intentionally mocking SJF school name. Continues to call them St John St Fisher.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

AbeFroeman wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:36 pm CNU commentators intentionally mocking SJF school name. Continues to call them St John St Fisher.
Highly doubt it’s intentional. Maybe misinformed.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Truly thought CNU was the best team in d3 last year. Just asking those close to the team if they believe they are as good as last season. I don’t think they are w the loss of Rice and 10 5th years. That’s like having 10 guys who PG’d.
I think there are 3 this year. CNU is a top 5 team but not sure I have the same confidence as I had last year. Like to hear fans thoughts w close ties to the program.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:05 pm Truly thought CNU was the best team in d3 last year. Just asking those close to the team if they believe they are as good as last season. I don’t think they are w the loss of Rice and 10 5th years. That’s like having 10 guys who PG’d.
I think there are 3 this year. CNU is a top 5 team but not sure I have the same confidence as I had last year. Like to hear fans thoughts w close ties to the program.
Still early in the season to tell. CNU is averaging around 17 ish goals a game with 2 games against very good programs Stevenson and SJF. This team has a ton of depth on the offensive side still. Very fast, and can shoot lights out. CNU also has a true X factor in the FOGO. The defense and Dmids are the slight weak point right now, but still anre very aggressive and Hustle a lot. Everyone likes to point out they lost 10 5th years but id say maybe 4 -5 of them actually played and produced something. Losing Rice hurts but 47 has stepped in and has had 1 7 goal game and a 10 goal game, which is crazy as a sophomore.

I think they are on par with last years team as a ton of returners are still here and have played with each other for 3+ years and know each others game and moves.

We will find out next Friday when they play RIT.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Ugly and sloppy win by the Captains. They need to realize they don't have the same guys as last year on defense and can't be pressuring out/throwing crazy checks. A lot of that sloppy defensive play lead to easy goals for ST. John Fisher.

Pros:
- Outside of a couple plays where they were trying to force it, the offense played well. They ran into a hot goalkeeper and still put up 16 goals. I think if they stopped shooting low every time, they could've put up 18-20.
- Cook and Auslander combine for 10 Points and show the country why they are 2 POY candidates.
- Cabbanis dominates with another dominate performance going 22-27 and collecting 15 GB's. That kid continues to impress and is well on his way to being a 1st Team AA if he keeps it up.
- Outside of a few ill-advised shots, Pozin played well.
- Sands, the former FO guy is really coming into his own as a D-Mid.

Cons
- Defense is playing way too sloppy. They look lost at times and have given up 3-4 early offense goals in every game this year. It hasn't hurt them yet, but in a game against a good opponent like RIT, it will.
- D Mids were getting beat way too easily in the first half. Someone needs to tell #31 to move his feet and stop lunging after every dodge.
- Offense needs to settle down at times. They are too good to be throwing 25 yard skip passes into the crease 10 seconds into the shot clock. They have some of the most talented guys in the country. Settle it down and look for the best shot.
- Depth didn't look great today. 2nd line O didn't produce any points.
- Hanway did make some good saves, but still under 50% on the year. Need to see more out of a returning senior AA goalie
- Penalties. The refs were a bit soft at times, but they need to clean it up with all the careless mistakes

All in all, St. John Fisher wasn't as bad as I thought they were and looked way better than they did against Cortland. I can see them making their way back into the top 20 by the end of the year.

Still a solid win for CNU. They are missing a first line middie and a starting D-mid, didn't play their best, ran into a hot goalie, and still ended up winning comfortably. Rather have this game now than in May
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Laxguy703 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:19 pm Ugly and sloppy win by the Captains. They need to realize they don't have the same guys as last year on defense and can't be pressuring out/throwing crazy checks. A lot of that sloppy defensive play lead to easy goals for ST. John Fisher.

Pros:
- Outside of a couple plays where they were trying to force it, the offense played well. They ran into a hot goalkeeper and still put up 16 goals. I think if they stopped shooting low every time, they could've put up 18-20.
- Cook and Auslander combine for 10 Points and show the country why they are 2 POY candidates.
- Cabbanis dominates with another dominate performance going 22-27 and collecting 15 GB's. That kid continues to impress and is well on his way to being a 1st Team AA if he keeps it up.
- Outside of a few ill-advised shots, Pozin played well.
- Sands, the former FO guy is really coming into his own as a D-Mid.

Cons
- Defense is playing way too sloppy. They look lost at times and have given up 3-4 early offense goals in every game this year. It hasn't hurt them yet, but in a game against a good opponent like RIT, it will.
- D Mids were getting beat way too easily in the first half. Someone needs to tell #31 to move his feet and stop lunging after every dodge.
- Offense needs to settle down at times. They are too good to be throwing 25 yard skip passes into the crease 10 seconds into the shot clock. They have some of the most talented guys in the country. Settle it down and look for the best shot.
- Depth didn't look great today. 2nd line O didn't produce any points.
- Hanway did make some good saves, but still under 50% on the year. Need to see more out of a returning senior AA goalie
- Penalties. The refs were a bit soft at times, but they need to clean it up with all the careless mistakes

All in all, St. John Fisher wasn't as bad as I thought they were and looked way better than they did against Cortland. I can see them making their way back into the top 20 by the end of the year.

Still a solid win for CNU. They are missing a first line middie and a starting D-mid, didn't play their best, ran into a hot goalie, and still ended up winning comfortably. Rather have this game now than in May
Very Spot on with this post! Dmids are pressuring our way too far and throwing checks instead of moving their feet and driving the O down the ally. Close Defense sometimes rely on the overhead checks and get beat with no slide from the crease.

Offense forced a lot of passes but still can shoot lights out and out hustle the defense to score fast.

Easy fixes, but last couple games CNU has been down early in the first 5 min. Can’t do that next week vs RIT and Dickinson.

Who were the 1st line Mid and SSDM missing? They put extended time or will be back soon?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”