Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Oldbarndog

Re: Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

Post by Oldbarndog »

"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

This is why, in part, English is a hard language to learn.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well done, Oldbarndog, and I agree, TLD. However, to suggest that Her Holiness was going back to the Latin roots of deplorables and really meant anything other than how the word is defined and used today is bullschidt (another word with more than one meaning, eh?). We, the ignorant, did not misinterpret what she meant.

Another word of Latin origin. Ambidextrous. You think right hand when you hear that word?
ambidexterous, Medieval Latin ambidexter, literally "right-handed on both sides," from ambi- "both, on both sides" (see ambi-) + dexter "right-handed" (from PIE root *deks- "right; south")

You had to have had two rights hands if you could use both hands equally comfortably cuz lefties....well, they're just cursed.
A very misused word, if you can do a couple of things with your "off hand" people are quick to say you're ambidextrous and that
aint the meaning of the word at all.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:04 am Well done, Oldbarndog, and I agree, TLD. However, to suggest that Her Holiness was going back to the Latin roots of deplorables and really meant anything other than how the word is defined and used today is bullschidt (another word with more than one meaning, eh?). We, the ignorant, did not misinterpret what she meant.

Another word of Latin origin. Ambidextrous. You think right hand when you hear that word?
ambidexterous, Medieval Latin ambidexter, literally "right-handed on both sides," from ambi- "both, on both sides" (see ambi-) + dexter "right-handed" (from PIE root *deks- "right; south")

You had to have had two rights hands if you could use both hands equally comfortably cuz lefties....well, they're just cursed.
A very misused word, if you can do a couple of things with your "off hand" people are quick to say you're ambidextrous and that
“Ambidextrous”…..I had never heard the word until Paul Westphal emerged in the NBA.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:04 am Well done, Oldbarndog, and I agree, TLD. However, to suggest that Her Holiness was going back to the Latin roots of deplorables and really meant anything other than how the word is defined and used today is bullschidt (another word with more than one meaning, eh?). We, the ignorant, did not misinterpret what she meant.

No, I think sinister. 😂
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:40 am

“Ambidextrous”…..I had never heard the word until Paul Westphal emerged in the NBA.
Are you joking?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:05 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:02 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:39 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:20 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:08 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:58 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:41 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:24 am Deplorable:

https://www.americanprogress.org/article/white-supremacy-returned-mainstream-politics/

But I guess it depends……part of Trump’s base:

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/white-nationalist

Hillary had it wrong.
"Which definition for deplore comes closest to the meaning of its Latin root word?
Deplore comes from Latin roots that mean "to bewail or lament."

So if you deplore something, you object to it because it brings you sorrow or grief."

I don't think people understood, or understand the way in which this descriptor ("deplorables") was intended. Of course, given the lack of education and general awareness, I'm not surprised.

And no, I don't think that Hillary and Slick Willie (I would describe them as Goldwater Republicans) were free from "sin". They were, and are, far better than tRump and Maga-ism. To paraphrase, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the better."
I highly doubt that Her Holiness used the word to describe the sorrow and grief that these people brought her, she meant it as a derogatory word to describe Trump supporters. She had no more awareness of the meaning of the word than the people she was calling deplorables. Had she thought the definition would be received as what the definition actually is, she would have used different words such as low life scumbags which is exactly what she meant with deplorables.
Do you doubt it or do you know? Clearly stated that I highly doubt it.Or do you assume that because you didn't know the meaning, that she didn't? Yes, and I'd bet I'm right. She meant sorrow and pain, or low life scumbags? Methinks the latter. Or did you take offense at first blush and stay with that feeling as it offered some intellectual "payoff"? Took absolutely no offense nor did I change in color. Will say again, I very much doubt she would have used the word if she anymore knew the definition of it than did the vast majority of her audience. Always interesting to examine why we do and think what we do and what the reward is.

Fair, since I assume she did because I did.

Not sure about elections, but words sure have meaning(s). There's a good reason there are over 1M words in the English lexicon and many have gradations, or in some cases, opposite meaning (e.g. cleave). As it has been said of the UK and America, "two people separated by a common language."

Communication is a tricky business.
Further, it doesn't look to me as if your definition/what is meant by the word is right.
deplorable adjective
de·​plor·​able | \ di-ˈplȯr-ə-bəl \
Definition of deplorable
1: deserving censure or contempt
deplorable behavior
: WRETCHED
deplorable living conditions
2: LAMENTABLE
a deplorable death

Synonyms
cheap, contemptible, cruddy, despicable, dirty, grubby, lame, lousy, mean, nasty, paltry, pitiable, pitiful, ratty, scabby, scummy, scurvy, sneaking, sorry, wretched

Jus' sayin'.

Do you gave access to a quality dictionary? The OED?

If not, this one is pretty good.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deplorable

You will not, however, deplorable is an adjective, not a noun, making

“Clinton’s use of deplorables is ambiguous: the word could be defined here as “people who are deplorable” or “qualities or characteristics that are deplorable.” Part of the ambiguity comes from the novelty of the usage, since deplorable is rarely used as a noun in this way. The Oxford English Dictionary does include a rare use of deplorable as a noun dating to the early 1800s, defined as “deplorable ills,” as in “rheumatism and other deplorables.” There's another example in the February 8, 1838 edition of the Commercial Advertiser (New York, NY): "You have already been informed of all the steps taken by the government to put a final period to these commotions, and I trust that the authors of the deplorables committed in New Mexico, will meet their just reward."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/news-trend-watch/clinton-says-half-of-trump-supporters-are-in-a-basket-of-deplorables-20160910
Frankly, I don't find any of this to be the least bit important...and in the definition I quoted it does say adjective. The fact of the matter is you're what, one in ten thousand who doesn't receive the word as what the definition I quoted is? That's what matters, it pizzed a lot of people off whether they realized what the origin of the word is or not and if they did look it up they saw the definition I quoted and thought, yeah, that's what I thought she meant.
It obviously angered a lot of people…. But the question has been was there any truth to it? Nobody has denied that it costs her votes….
Question is whether that’s the appropriate approach to take not whether it’s true or politically expedient, IMO. I thought not, and I’m someone who’s says what everyone thinks aloud generally, because even I know that sometimes being right isn’t right and sometimes it doesn’t need to be said. To the extent that her losing made our country worse off it’s a pretty selfish thing to do and I think there’s a cohort of redeemable “deplorables” who are fundamentally good people but need education/understanding of underlying and structural considerations and to deploy a little more empathy (maybe your life isn’t perfect but consider the starving dude who never had a shot for a second) that she threw away like a complete, arrogant jerk who expected to be coronated even though she was eviscerated by a kid with no experience named Barry out of her backyard in 2008.

So I blame her ultimately for a lot of what’s gone down since. She didn’t need to pump up her kicks and try to do a blindfolded tomahawk dunk, nuts to forehead on her opponents before the completion was over. She’s in company with folks like Leon Lett and the fair weather Miami Heat fans trying to get back into their comeback win vs the Spurs.
Maybe she should have bit her tongue but those people she described were in fact deplorable. Did it cost her the election? I don’t believe so. Comey’s announcement and the theft of the DNC Campaign database by the Russian’s and Manafort’s sharing of Internal polling data with the Russians were bigger issues. Comey really killed her…. I do believe it motivated some folks to get out and vote but Hillary still attracted more votes.
You are correct TLD. The queen of evils deplorable comment didn't cost her the election. The queen of evil lost the election because the trump people outsmarted her and found the votes they needed in those swing states the queen of evil, because of her arrogant, condescending nature chose to ignore. The queen of evil was certain her dominance in the liberal NE states and the liberal Western states made her victory a done deal. I'm reminded of those long ago newspaper headlines. Truman holding up the headline .. DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN. The queen of evil and her entourage never thought they could lose to a scoundrel like trump. They were busy counting their chicken votes way before they hatched. The only satisfaction of 4 years of trump for myself is forever enjoying in the fact that the WBC suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of a rank amateur like trump. Her defeat also allowed lamp manufacturers to make mucho dinero.
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:56 am

Are you joking?
No. I was maybe 8 or 9 years old.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

You need a dictionary and thesaurus to watch a Knickerbockers game with Clyde Frazier doing color but it's a complete joy to listen to him even for the most mundane/boring games.

https://theathletic.com/3558899/2022/09 ... oadcaster/

Best lines from the above article

“It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.”

"Precocious neophyte" - Clyde uses the latter term in lieu just calling them a rookie

"lilliputian" - to describe smaller players

"posting and toasting, swishing and dishing, bounding and astounding"

"omnipotence" - one of his favorite words

On Friday, Frazier, 77, will receive the Curt Gowdy Award for Electronic Media at the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. He is the first person already in the Hall of Fame as a player to receive the award individually.
Last edited by Kismet on Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

No, I think sinister. 😂
Yes, as did the Latins and the rest of the world.
It's a right hand thinking and right hand constructed world.
See three ring binders and scissors.
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:00 am

You need a dictionary and thesaurus to watch a Knickerbockers game with Clyde Frazier doing color but it's a complete joy to listen to him even for the most mundane/boring games.

https://theathletic.com/3558899/2022/09 ... oadcaster/

Best lines from the above article

“It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.”

"Precocious neophyte" - Clyde uses the latter term in lieu of rookie

"lilliputian" - to describe smaller players

"posting and toasting, swishing and dishing, bounding and astounding"

On Friday, Frazier, 77, will receive the Curt Gowdy Award for Electronic Media at the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. He is the first person already in the Hall of Fame as a player to receive the award individually.
I love Clyde!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:27 pm It doesn't matter. The Russians threw the election for Trump.
:D yes, they did make a difference...among other things that mattered in those handful of districts that made the ultimate difference.

Any one of those matters not happening might have changed those few thousand votes in a few places...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:05 pm
So I blame her ultimately for a lot of what’s gone down since. She didn’t need to pump up her kicks and try to do a blindfolded tomahawk dunk, nuts to forehead on her opponents before the completion was over.
Read below what she actually said. Doesn't sound like a touchdown dance to me. What Sean Hannity says she said is a different thing.

Seems like she was trying to connect to traditional Dem voters -- blue collar, working class. Basically the same folks Tim Ryan is courting in Ohio. Ryan, no surprise, does a better job of it than Hillary ever could.

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.
Very interesting; thanks for posting the full remarks...she was actually right, both that Trump had appealed to people with a particular set of emotions and beliefs that, yes, are "deplorable" (we all should recall the many voters for Trump who claimed they had never or rarely had voted at all) while also making clear that a large portion of Trump's support was based on feelings that were important to address, to empathize with...and hopefully actually help.

But many people only know what they are being told.

My mom just shared with me an email trail from her friends with an MTG video complaining about the "corruption of Congress", citing the "in the dead of night" passage out of the Rules Committee the omnibus spending bill...with "no opportunity for Republicans to read it"...she repeated these allegations at least 10 times in the video, though she never actually said what "corruption" had occurred.

One of the members of the thread had written back asking to be removed, my mother hadn't read his response re MTG (space lasers and all), but she had watched the video of MTG...she thought she was informing me (and the rest of our family) about this awful thing the Democrats had done...when we explained MTG, she said "how would I know?".

Yup.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Trouble is, this wasn't received as how innocent it's now trying to be shown.
“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

There were a whole lot of people who figured they were being put in that basket too. The racist is the guy who said the person who hadn't mowed his lawn in a month in a half was lazy. Oh, he was black, so of course this is a racist comment and the commentor now sees himself in Hillary's basket (a perfectly innocent comment).
One doesn't believe women reporters should be in men's locker rooms. That's sexist and that person goes in the basket.
On and on and on with this kind of stuff. However unintentional she put a whole lot more people in that basket than she thought she was and it cost her.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:03 am

No, I think sinister. 😂
Actually, I am tolerably "abled" with either hand, although developing equal facility with my left hand requires practice to overcome years of habituation. Oddly, certain activites, such as playing table billiards, are easier to perform with my left hand. Learning others requires a mental effort to "undo" mental conditioning and develop muscle memory and coordination, as in throwing a frisbee or ball. As for writing, I have done so little recently with either hand it is increasingly irrelevant.

Here's a simple test: try brushing your teeth with your "off" hand.

As for bias in manual systems and endeavors, consider the implicit male bias found in most hand tools. Most of them require greater grip strength than most females possess (not that they couldn't and haven't developed greater grip strength). Actually, I might go so far as to say most people lack adequate grip strength to properly wield hand tools effectively and safely.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:49 am
ggait wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:05 pm
So I blame her ultimately for a lot of what’s gone down since. She didn’t need to pump up her kicks and try to do a blindfolded tomahawk dunk, nuts to forehead on her opponents before the completion was over.
Read below what she actually said. Doesn't sound like a touchdown dance to me. What Sean Hannity says she said is a different thing.

Seems like she was trying to connect to traditional Dem voters -- blue collar, working class. Basically the same folks Tim Ryan is courting in Ohio. Ryan, no surprise, does a better job of it than Hillary ever could.

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.
Very interesting; thanks for posting the full remarks...she was actually right, both that Trump had appealed to people with a particular set of emotions and beliefs that, yes, are "deplorable" (we all should recall the many voters for Trump who claimed they had never or rarely had voted at all) while also making clear that a large portion of Trump's support was based on feelings that were important to address, to empathize with...and hopefully actually help.

But many people only know what they are being told.

My mom just shared with me an email trail from her friends with an MTG video complaining about the "corruption of Congress", citing the "in the dead of night" passage out of the Rules Committee the omnibus spending bill...with "no opportunity for Republicans to read it"...she repeated these allegations at least 10 times in the video, though she never actually said what "corruption" had occurred.

One of the members of the thread had written back asking to be removed, my mother hadn't read his response re MTG (space lasers and all), but she had watched the video of MTG...she thought she was informing me (and the rest of our family) about this awful thing the Democrats had done...when we explained MTG, she said "how would I know?".

Yup.
"yes, are "deplorable" (we all should recall the many voters for Trump who claimed they had never or rarely had voted at all)"

Well, oral communications are rarely as considered, complete, and accurate as the speaker might wish, but I for one feel it was a simple diction error. A better choice would have been "despicable". Remove ambiguity and carefully describe the group and characteristics that lead to inclusion.

Of course, if communication were easy and unambiguous, what use would we have for lawyers? :twisted:

It is amusing that the arbiters (judges) of correct interpretation of a hopelessly inadequate mechanism for precise formulation of ideas (laws) would be other, equally flawed humans as those who caused the problem in the first place (legislators). Not that we seem to be having asny of those difficulties in the here and now, of course.

"The law is an ass." -- Dickens, Bleak House

I see prefiguration in this work of Kafka's later description of the Austro-Hungarian legal system.
DMac

Post by DMac »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:26 am

No, I think sinister. 😂
Actually, I am tolerably "abled" with either hand, although developing equal facility with my left hand requires practice to overcome years of habituation. Oddly, certain activites, such as playing table billiards, are easier to perform with my left hand. Learning others requires a mental effort to "undo" mental conditioning and develop muscle memory and coordination, as in throwing a frisbee or ball. As for writing, I have done so little recently with either hand it is increasingly irrelevant.

As for bias in manual systems and endeavors, consider the implicit male bias found in most hand tools. Most of them require greater grip strength than most females possess (not that they couldn't and haven't developed greater grip strength). Actually, I might go so far as to say most people lack adequate grip strength to properly wield hand tools effectively and safely.
I'm much the same, there are many things I can do equally comfortably with both hands, power tools would be one example of that. I do brush my teeth left handed but I'm comfortable in saying that I could learn to do it right handed equally comfortably pretty easily. That would be much tougher for the typical right hander (who I call left hand useless) but we lefties, or mixed handed people (and this is what people who use both hands should be called, they're not ambidextrous) are forced into being more adaptable inasmuch as it's a heavily right handed world....completely understandably so.
Others have inconveniences too such as the vertically challenged. At 4' 10" (my gdaughter is 4' 10 & half") there's not much in the world made for you. Back seat of the car is like a queen sized bed if you're forced to sleep in your car though.
How as a redhead do you not stand out in the crowd?
What percentage of people in the world are redheads?
Red is the rarest hair color - only between 1-2% of the world's population are redheads.
Wow!!
Last edited by DMac on Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:18 am Trouble is, this wasn't received as how innocent it's now trying to be shown.

There were a whole lot of people who figured they were being put in that basket too. The racist is the guy who said the person who hadn't mowed his lawn in a month in a half was lazy. Oh, he was black, so of course this is a racist comment and the commentor now sees himself in Hillary's basket (a perfectly innocent comment).
One doesn't believe women reporters should be in men's locker rooms. That's sexist and that person goes in the basket.
On and on and on with this kind of stuff. However unintentional she put a whole lot more people in that basket than she thought she was and it cost her.
I'd agree that a whole lot of people with generally "good" intent, are extremely defensive that their own biases may be interpreted as equivalent to the worst of the worst.

And indeed, some extremists (IMO extremists) see any bias at all as worthy of sharp repudiation with the same labels as would be more easily applied to those worst of the worst.

But why are people who are so defensive that way? Can they not be confident in their own good intent, indeed be willing to examine whether they may, at times, unconsciously allow their biases to creep into their judgments? Why is it so hard for some people to admit that, of course, we all have some unconscious biases? And that such needn't make us a bad person, it simply obligates us to work to be more conscious if we really do want to be our best self.

Is it possible that those who immediately assume they are being labelled in harsh ways are actually indicating that they know that they really are just hiding their true, quite biased feelings so as to avoid such labels?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:52 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:26 am

No, I think sinister. 😂

I'm much the same, there are many things I can do equally comfortably with both hands, power tools would be one example of that. I do brush my teeth left handed but I'm comfortable in saying that I could learn to do it right handed equally comfortably pretty easily. That would be much tougher for the typical right hander (who I call left hand useless) but we lefties, or mixed handed people (and this is what people who use both hands should be called, they're not ambidextrous) are forced into being more adaptable inasmuch as it's a heavily right handed world....completely understandably so.
Others have inconveniences too such as the vertically challenged. At 4' 10" (my gdaughter is 4' 10 & half") there's not much in the world made for you. Back seat of the car is like a queen sized bed if you're forced to sleep in car though.
How as a redhead do you not stand out in the crowd?
What percentage of people in the world are redheads?
Red is the rarest hair color - only between 1-2% of the world's population are redheads.
Wow!!
One of my daughters has red hair and blue eyes. The rarest combination, I believe.

Scotland is currently the country with the highest percentage of redheads, although the genes were thought to have arisen in the Middle East.

"The origins of haplogroup R1b are complex, and shrouded in controversy to this day. The present author favours the theory of a Middle Eastern origin (a point upon which very few population geneticists disagree) followed by a migration to the North Caucasus and Pontic Steppe, serving as a starting point for a Bronze-age invasion of the Balkans, then Central and Western Europe. This theory also happens to be the only one that explains the presence of red hair among the Udmurts, Central Asians and Tarim mummies."

Ever notice how similar looking Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf appear?

https://www.eupedia.com/genetics/origin ... prehistory
DMac

Post by DMac »

My mother was redhead (light red), German girl. One of my boys is, another blond (like I was), both have red beards. All have brown eyes as did my mother.
Steph and Andre? Not making that connection.

Return to “POLITICS”