Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Say what?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:29 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:32 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:35 pm Those deplorable folks weren’t voting for Hillary anyway….
Of course they weren't.

But, I'm telling you------plenty of Americans that didn't have the life they dreamed of assumed, and were told: She's talking about you.

It was a stupid, stupid word to choose. Basket of racists? That would have been fine.

That's not what she said. And it's been how many years now? And it's the only thing we can remember from her campaign. I can't remember what her platform was, but I can remember "basket of deplorables".

Rookie mistake by a veteran politician.
It didn’t help, but it was an accurate description of many Trump supporters. I am not saying the use of the word Deplorables didn’t matter. I am saying it was true. We remember Deplorables, in part, because it was true.

Yes, she could have chosen another descriptor but doesn’t change the fact that deplorables voted for Trump….some wearing suit and ties.
I wonder if all of those " deplorables" get up in the morning and go to work? I wonder if the majority of those " deplorables" pay their taxes on time and obey the law?? So the only thing you do, in the eyes of the folks on this forum, is you support trump??? Maybe all of those dumpster supporters should be sent to re- education camps to fine tune their attitudes?? The dumpster supporters do so because mistakenly, they see him as the salvation from both parties.
craddle...it's far easier to 'judge' others from which you disagree. Strangely, TLD assigns the term 'deplorable' to someone voting against HRC, maybe what he really wants is a dictatorship, where he rules the world via FanLax post count. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:59 pm Rookie mistake by a veteran politician.
It didn’t help, but it was an accurate description of many Trump supporters. I am not saying the use of the word Deplorables didn’t matter. I am saying it was true. We remember Deplorables, in part, because it was true.

Yes, she could have chosen another descriptor but doesn’t change the fact that deplorables voted for Trump….some wearing suit and ties.
The fact that it was true about many Trump voters isn't really the issue, TLD. You just can not label all of the people who voted for Trump deplorables, and it was the "other than deplorables" that she pizzed off enough to not vote for her (they weren't really voting for Trump). Of course, there's a whole lot more to it than just the deplorables thing, it was the D's certainty that Hillary was the chosen one and that they were going to put the first woman in the Oval Office. Done deal, game over, Hillary's going to win it, this is our gal. Didn't much matter to them that there were a whole lot of people who didn't like her and were damn tired of seeing her and Slick, they had seen enough (Slick standing in front of the world and professing his deep and sincere love for his wife, the gal he so admires, was a real reminder of what a couple of phony phukks these two are too). The Ds phukked up putting her up there to begin with then she managed to phukk things even more and give people a reason to vote for the not your run of the mill politician guy. I'm still convinced that Bernie would have beat Trump but the Ds were hell bent on getting Hillary in there, that was the really big mistake.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:35 pm Those deplorable folks weren’t voting for Hillary anyway….
Of course they weren't.

But, I'm telling you------plenty of Americans that didn't have the life they dreamed of assumed, and were told: She's talking about you.

It was a stupid, stupid word to choose. Basket of racists? That would have been fine.

That's not what she said. And it's been how many years now? And it's the only thing we can remember from her campaign. I can't remember what her platform was, but I can remember "basket of deplorables".

I wonder if all of those " deplorables" get up in the morning and go to work? I wonder if the majority of those " deplorables" pay their taxes on time and obey the law?? So the only thing you do, in the eyes of the folks on this forum, is you support trump??? Maybe all of those dumpster supporters should be sent to re- education camps to fine tune their attitudes?? The dumpster supporters do so because mistakenly, they see him as the salvation from both parties.
You used to
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:47 am

The fact that it was true about many Trump voters isn't really the issue, TLD. You just can not label all of the people who voted for Trump deplorables, and it was the "other than deplorables" that she pizzed off enough to not vote for her (they weren't really voting for Trump). Of course, there's a whole lot more to it than just the deplorables thing, it was the D's certainty that Hillary was the chosen one and that they were going to put the first woman in the Oval Office. Done deal, game over, Hillary's going to win it, this is our gal. Didn't much matter to them that there were a whole lot of people who didn't like her and were damn tired of seeing her and Slick, they had seen enough (Slick standing in front of the world and professing his deep and sincere love for his wife, the gal he so admires, was a real reminder of what a couple of phony phukks these two are too). The Ds phukked up putting her up there to begin with then she managed to phukk things even more and give people a reason to vote for the not your run of the mill politician guy. I'm still convinced that Bernie would have beat Trump but the Ds were hell bent on getting Hillary in there, that was the really big mistake.
She didn’t label “all of the people”. A lot of people didn’t like Hillary. Some were deplorable and some weren’t. Comey did her in more than the deplorable comment.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:12 am
DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:47 am

She didn’t label “all of the people”. A lot of people didn’t like Hillary. Some were deplorable and some weren’t. Comey did her in more than the deplorable comment.
I think that's right, though I'd suggest it was a confluence of factors...sure, some people were turned off by the term "deplorables" assuming it was being applied to them, whether it was or not, and DMAC is correct that some people were turned off by the Clintons collectively, and some were simply reminded by Comey that she seemed slippery at best, and some of it was that she and her campaign took the win for granted and didn't campaign hard enough in some key areas...didn't tell people why to vote for her...

Given that campaign, and the reality that after 8 years with one party, there was a mood for change, I thought nearly any reasonable R could have won going away....against her.

I also think there was a backlash against the generally progressive social trend that had occurred in the US, and a bit of triumphalism about the inevitability of such...Black President, of course there will be a woman, gay marriage approved, of course we should use whatever pronouns we were being asked to do...put that in the context of an intensification of increasingly partisan right wing media magnified by social media and that backlash was stronger than certainly I understood...and it's grown much stronger still with Trump's ascendancy.

But back to "deplorables", she definitely didn't mean that anyone not voting for her was "deplorable"...but, like the MAGA label, that group of people being described definitely coalesced behind the candidate that told them what they wanted to hear, riled them up, fed their angers and resentments. A big part of the Trump support was that group, and those adjacent who did not understand how extreme their fellow travelers had become.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:10 am
Of course they weren't.

You used to
News flash bumpkin.. I'm still working 25 hours a week at my humble little deli job. I'm still paying taxes ever week. That is what my pay stub says at least. I would work more but the gubmint crawls up my ass and penalizes me for making too much money while collecting social security. The irony is I'm still working to support my retirement. I also work because I like what I do and enjoy kabitzing with my customers. I'm damn lucky. I work because I enjoy what I do and not because I have to work. :)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:19 am
Of course they weren't.

You used to
News flash bumpkin.. I'm still working 25 hours a week at my humble little deli job. I'm still paying taxes ever week. That is what my pay stub says at least. I would work more but the gubmint crawls up my ass and penalizes me for making too much money while collecting social security. The irony is I'm still working to support my retirement. I also work because I like what I do and enjoy kabitzing with my customers. I'm damn lucky. I work because I enjoy what I do and not because I have to work. :)
Congratulations
ggait

Post by ggait »

The deplorables comment in 2016 may not have been good politics.

But it was accurate in 2016. And accurate in 2022 when sleepy joe rips on maga republicans. And proved on a daily basis during the six years in between.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

ggait wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:04 am The deplorables comment in 2016 may not have been good politics.

But it was accurate in 2016. And accurate in 2022 when sleepy joe rips on maga republicans. And proved on a daily basis during the six years in between.
+1
Typical Lax Dad

Deplorable:

https://www.americanprogress.org/articl ... -politics/

But I guess it depends……part of Trump’s base:

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... ationalist

Hillary had it wrong.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:24 am Deplorable:

Hillary had it wrong.
"Which definition for deplore comes closest to the meaning of its Latin root word?
Deplore comes from Latin roots that mean "to bewail or lament."

So if you deplore something, you object to it because it brings you sorrow or grief."

I don't think people understood, or understand the way in which this descriptor ("deplorables") was intended. Of course, given the lack of education and general awareness, I'm not surprised.

And no, I don't think that Hillary and Slick Willie (I would describe them as Goldwater Republicans) were free from "sin". They were, and are, far better than tRump and Maga-ism. To paraphrase, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the better."
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/04/politics ... index.html

And Hillary was wrong for calling out deplorables….
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:44 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:19 am
Of course they weren't.

You used to
Congratulations
It didn't happen overnight. I had my first legit job in 1974 washing dishes at a favorite mob restaurant.
I've worked all of my life until COVID and my year off on unemployment. Thanks to the love of a wonderful thrifty woman we have done very well.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:50 am https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/04/politics ... index.html

And Hillary was wrong for calling out deplorables….
I guess it takes a dispicable human being to see a gaggle of deplorables.
DMac

Post by DMac »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:41 am

Hillary had it wrong.
"Which definition for deplore comes closest to the meaning of its Latin root word?

So if you deplore something, you object to it because it brings you sorrow or grief."

I don't think people understood, or understand the way in which this descriptor ("deplorables") was intended. Of course, given the lack of education and general awareness, I'm not surprised.

And no, I don't think that Hillary and Slick Willie (I would describe them as Goldwater Republicans) were free from "sin". They were, and are, far better than tRump and Maga-ism. To paraphrase, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the better."
I highly doubt that Her Holiness used the word to describe the sorrow and grief that these people brought her, she meant it as a derogatory word to describe Trump supporters. She had no more awareness of the meaning of the word than the people she was calling deplorables. Had she thought the definition would be received as what the definition actually is, she would have used different words such as low life scumbags which is exactly what she meant with deplorables.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:58 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:41 am

Hillary had it wrong.

I highly doubt that Her Holiness used the word to describe the sorrow and grief that these people brought her, she meant it as a derogatory word to describe SOME Trump supporters. She had no more awareness of the meaning of the word than the people she was calling deplorables. Had she thought the definition would be received as what the definition actually is, she would have used different words such as low life scumbags which is exactly what she meant with deplorables.
Fixed it.
DMac

Post by DMac »

So says you, I'd be inclined to believe that she thought anyone who would vote for this crude and rude guy was/is a deplorable.
Typical Lax Dad

>>"Basket of deplorables" is a phrase from a 2016 presidential election campaign speech delivered by Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton on September 9, 2016, at a campaign fundraising event, which she used to describe half of the supporters of her opponent, Republican nominee Donald Trump saying "They're racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic".[1]<<

I suppose in 2022, these people aren’t deplorable….deh just vote Republican.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:18 pm >>"Basket of deplorables" is a phrase from a 2016 presidential election campaign speech delivered by Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton on September 9, 2016, at a campaign fundraising event, which she used to describe half of the supporters of her opponent, Republican nominee Donald Trump saying "They're racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic".[1]<<

I suppose in 2022, these people aren’t deplorable….deh just vote Republican.
So?? You expect any different? They are all Republicans after all... Hell even MD lax doesn't like em and he has been a member of the party all his life. There was a time when Republicans were kinder and gentler people. I know I'm using that phrase from GHWB out of context but isn't that what Republicans use to be?? ;)

Return to “POLITICS”