Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

Post by youthathletics »

TLD spending the day doubling down his comment. Must be a Labor (Day) of love. ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:58 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:41 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:24 am Deplorable:

https://www.americanprogress.org/articl ... -politics/

But I guess it depends……part of Trump’s base:

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... ationalist

Hillary had it wrong.
"Which definition for deplore comes closest to the meaning of its Latin root word?
Deplore comes from Latin roots that mean "to bewail or lament."

So if you deplore something, you object to it because it brings you sorrow or grief."

I don't think people understood, or understand the way in which this descriptor ("deplorables") was intended. Of course, given the lack of education and general awareness, I'm not surprised.

And no, I don't think that Hillary and Slick Willie (I would describe them as Goldwater Republicans) were free from "sin". They were, and are, far better than tRump and Maga-ism. To paraphrase, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the better."
I highly doubt that Her Holiness used the word to describe the sorrow and grief that these people brought her, she meant it as a derogatory word to describe Trump supporters. She had no more awareness of the meaning of the word than the people she was calling deplorables. Had she thought the definition would be received as what the definition actually is, she would have used different words such as low life scumbags which is exactly what she meant with deplorables.
Do you doubt it or do you know? Or do you assume that because you didn't know the meaning, that she didn't? Or did you take offense at first blush and stay with that feeling as it offered some intellectual "payoff"? Always interesting to examine why we do and think what we do and what the reward is.

Fair, since I assume she did because I did.

Not sure about elections, but words sure have meaning(s). There's a good reason there are over 1M words in the English lexicon and many have gradations, or in some cases, opposite meaning (e.g. cleave). As it has been said of the UK and America, "two people separated by a common language."

Communication is a tricky business.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
DMac

Post by DMac »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:08 pm

Hillary had it wrong.
"Which definition for deplore comes closest to the meaning of its Latin root word?

So if you deplore something, you object to it because it brings you sorrow or grief."

I don't think people understood, or understand the way in which this descriptor ("deplorables") was intended. Of course, given the lack of education and general awareness, I'm not surprised.

And no, I don't think that Hillary and Slick Willie (I would describe them as Goldwater Republicans) were free from "sin". They were, and are, far better than tRump and Maga-ism. To paraphrase, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the better."
I highly doubt that Her Holiness used the word to describe the sorrow and grief that these people brought her, she meant it as a derogatory word to describe Trump supporters. She had no more awareness of the meaning of the word than the people she was calling deplorables. Had she thought the definition would be received as what the definition actually is, she would have used different words such as low life scumbags which is exactly what she meant with deplorables.
Do you doubt it or do you know? Clearly stated that I highly doubt it.Or do you assume that because you didn't know the meaning, that she didn't? Yes, and I'd bet I'm right. She meant sorrow and pain, or low life scumbags? Methinks the latter. Or did you take offense at first blush and stay with that feeling as it offered some intellectual "payoff"? Took absolutely no offense nor did I change in color. Will say again, I very much doubt she would have used the word if she anymore knew the definition of it than did the vast majority of her audience. Always interesting to examine why we do and think what we do and what the reward is.

Not sure about elections, but words sure have meaning(s). There's a good reason there are over 1M words in the English lexicon and many have gradations, or in some cases, opposite meaning (e.g. cleave). As it has been said of the UK and America, "two people separated by a common language."

Further, it doesn't look to me as if your definition/what is meant by the word is right.
deplorable adjective
de·​plor·​able | \ di-ˈplȯr-ə-bəl \
Definition of deplorable
1: deserving censure or contempt
deplorable behavior
: WRETCHED
deplorable living conditions
2: LAMENTABLE
a deplorable death

Synonyms
cheap, contemptible, cruddy, despicable, dirty, grubby, lame, lousy, mean, nasty, paltry, pitiable, pitiful, ratty, scabby, scummy, scurvy, sneaking, sorry, wretched

Jus' sayin'.

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:44 pm TLD spending the day doubling down his comment. Must be a Labor (Day) of love. ;) :lol:
racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic….
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:20 pm

Hillary had it wrong.

Do you doubt it or do you know? Clearly stated that I highly doubt it.Or do you assume that because you didn't know the meaning, that she didn't? Yes, and I'd bet I'm right. She meant sorrow and pain, or low life scumbags? Methinks the latter. Or did you take offense at first blush and stay with that feeling as it offered some intellectual "payoff"? Took absolutely no offense nor did I change in color. Will say again, I very much doubt she would have used the word if she anymore knew the definition of it than did the vast majority of her audience. Always interesting to examine why we do and think what we do and what the reward is.

Further, it doesn't look to me as if your definition/what is meant by the word is right.
deplorable adjective
Definition of deplorable
deplorable behavior
a deplorable death

Synonyms
cheap, contemptible, cruddy, despicable, dirty, grubby, lame, lousy, mean, nasty, paltry, pitiable, pitiful, ratty, scabby, scummy, scurvy, sneaking, sorry, wretched

Jus' sayin'.

Jus’ sayin’ this is deplorable: racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic…. What say you?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Sure, all things deplorable.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

So with 1 million plus words in the English lexicon, we all know which of those words will be changed if you use them in a post on this forum. If any of you sons a bitches disagree with me... :D Wow, that one skated right by the fanlax censors.. ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:06 pm Sure, all things deplorable.
Really? this is deplorable: racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic…. That’s your answer?

Those things are a bridge too far in 2022?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Hillary had it wrong.

deplorable adjective
Definition of deplorable
deplorable behavior
a deplorable death

Synonyms

Jus' sayin'.

Do you gave access to a quality dictionary? The OED?

If not, this one is pretty good.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deplorable

You will not, however, deplorable is an adjective, not a noun, making

“Clinton’s use of deplorables is ambiguous: the word could be defined here as “people who are deplorable” or “qualities or characteristics that are deplorable.” Part of the ambiguity comes from the novelty of the usage, since deplorable is rarely used as a noun in this way. The Oxford English Dictionary does include a rare use of deplorable as a noun dating to the early 1800s, defined as “deplorable ills,” as in “rheumatism and other deplorables.” There's another example in the February 8, 1838 edition of the Commercial Advertiser (New York, NY): "You have already been informed of all the steps taken by the government to put a final period to these commotions, and I trust that the authors of the deplorables committed in New Mexico, will meet their just reward."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/news-tr ... s-20160910
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Hillary Clinton urged supporters late Friday not to be complacent about Donald Trump’s chances of winning the election, saying half of his backers were “desperate for change” but the other half belonged in a “basket of deplorables.”

Appearing at an LGBT gala fundraiser where Barbra Streisand performed, Clinton said many of the GOP candidate’s voters were “racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic, you name it.”

Seems like folks here have conflated the two…..baskets. Now being racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic and Islamaphobic means you just want change…..strange but here we are…. Just being honest I suppose. Statement is pretty clear.
Typical Lax Dad

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 0211004172

Using dismantling strategy, Trump implies that Muslims are uncivilized and if America and Europe have to survive, they need to build “walls” against them. Trump here proves himself as a surprisingly myopic person viewing Islam and Muslims solely in terms of terrorism and extremism. To win public support in America, Trump fails to take into account the multi-faceted realities of the immigrant and refugee crises and the real problems Muslims are facing across the world. The current study has concluded that xenophobic, Islamophobic discourse is deeply embedded in Trump’s mind, and it has become inescapable for him. Trump uses language to merge all the Muslims and Muslim refugees into a one-dimensional group of wrong-doers and criminals and erases their individual as well as collective experiences. Therefore, Trump’s status as the prominent rightwing anti-Islam and anti-Muslim political figure for the Republican Party in the United States has been comprehensively established as he had advocated Islamophobia extensively since the beginning of his political career. From the analysis, it could be ascertained that the use of discourse against Islam and Muslims by Trump is a strategy to build kinship with the Americans who harbor similar sentiments. This discriminatory discourse of Trump played a significant role in shaping his ideology of “Make America Great Again.”

Seems to have worked.
Typical Lax Dad

The truth sometimes hurts..

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2 ... a-say/amp/

>> While some observers have explained Trump’s success as a result of economic anxiety, the data demonstrate that anti-immigrant sentiment, racism, and sexism are much more strongly related to support for Trump. Trump’s much-discussed vote advantage with non-college-educated whites is misleading; when accounting for racism and sexism, the education gap among whites in the 2016 election returns to the typical levels of previous elections since 2000. Trump did not do especially well with non-college-educated whites, compared to other Republicans. He did especially well with white people who express sexist views about women and who deny racism exists.

Even more alarmingly, there is a clear correlation between Trump campaign events and incidents of prejudiced violence. FBI data show that since Trump’s election there has been an anomalous spike in hate crimes concentrated in counties where Trump won by larger margins. <<

Got to hand it to him, it has been effective.
DMac

Post by DMac »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:39 pm

Hillary had it wrong.

deplorable adjective
Definition of deplorable
deplorable behavior
a deplorable death

Synonyms

Jus' sayin'.

“Clinton’s use of deplorables is ambiguous: the word could be defined here as “people who are deplorable” or “qualities or characteristics that are deplorable.” Part of the ambiguity comes from the novelty of the usage, since deplorable is rarely used as a noun in this way. The Oxford English Dictionary does include a rare use of deplorable as a noun dating to the early 1800s, defined as “deplorable ills,” as in “rheumatism and other deplorables.” There's another example in the February 8, 1838 edition of the Commercial Advertiser (New York, NY): "You have already been informed of all the steps taken by the government to put a final period to these commotions, and I trust that the authors of the deplorables committed in New Mexico, will meet their just reward."

Frankly, I don't find any of this to be the least bit important...and in the definition I quoted it does say adjective. The fact of the matter is you're what, one in ten thousand who doesn't receive the word as what the definition I quoted is? That's what matters, it pizzed a lot of people off whether they realized what the origin of the word is or not and if they did look it up they saw the definition I quoted and thought, yeah, that's what I thought she meant.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:02 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:39 pm

Hillary had it wrong.

deplorable adjective
Definition of deplorable
deplorable behavior
a deplorable death

Synonyms

Jus' sayin'.

Frankly, I don't find any of this to be the least bit important...and in the definition I quoted it does say adjective. The fact of the matter is you're what, one in ten thousand who doesn't receive the word as what the definition I quoted is? That's what matters, it pizzed a lot of people off whether they realized what the origin of the word is or not and if they did look it up they saw the definition I quoted and thought, yeah, that's what I thought she meant.
It obviously angered a lot of people…. But the question has been was there any truth to it? Nobody has denied that it costs her votes….
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:26 pm
Really? this is deplorable: racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic…. That’s your answer?

I don't know what you want from me, TLD. I've been real clear in what I think, Hillary phukked up when she used the word deplorable and I think it was very costly to her. Who you think it was directed at and who it actually pizzed off seem to be two different things, so be it.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:08 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:26 pm

I don't know what you want from me, TLD. I've been real clear in what I think, Hillary phukked up when she used the word deplorable and I think it was very costly to her. Who you think it was directed at and who it actually pizzed off seem to be two different things, so be it.
I was just asking this: Are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic people deplorable? Hillary Clinton believes so…I believe so. I was just asking what you thought…that’s all I was asking. We all know it costs her votes….

EDIT: I don’t know it if costs Hillary votes…I believe it brought more deplorables out to vote for Trump as a badge of honor.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Didn't I answer that the exact same way you did the first time you asked me?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:19 pm https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 0211004172

Using dismantling strategy, Trump implies that Muslims are uncivilized and if America and Europe have to survive, they need to build “walls” against them. Trump here proves himself as a surprisingly myopic person viewing Islam and Muslims solely in terms of terrorism and extremism. To win public support in America, Trump fails to take into account the multi-faceted realities of the immigrant and refugee crises and the real problems Muslims are facing across the world. The current study has concluded that xenophobic, Islamophobic discourse is deeply embedded in Trump’s mind, and it has become inescapable for him. Trump uses language to merge all the Muslims and Muslim refugees into a one-dimensional group of wrong-doers and criminals and erases their individual as well as collective experiences. Therefore, Trump’s status as the prominent rightwing anti-Islam and anti-Muslim political figure for the Republican Party in the United States has been comprehensively established as he had advocated Islamophobia extensively since the beginning of his political career. From the analysis, it could be ascertained that the use of discourse against Islam and Muslims by Trump is a strategy to build kinship with the Americans who harbor similar sentiments. This discriminatory discourse of Trump played a significant role in shaping his ideology of “Make America Great Again.”

Seems to have worked.
At least in America today we don't condone throwing gay people off the tops of buildings. I believe that is more customary in a country like Iran. Not that anybody cares...
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:19 pm I was just asking this: Are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic people deplorable? Hillary Clinton believes so…I believe so. I was just asking what you thought…that’s all I was asking. We all know it costs her votes….

EDIT: I don’t know it if costs Hillary votes…I believe it brought more deplorables out to vote for Trump as a badge of honor.
Can't play both ends from the middle here, in one breath it's, "we all know it cost her votes", in the next it's "I don't know if it cost her votes".
Bringing more deplorables out to vote for Trump and costing her votes are really one in the same.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:44 pm TLD spending the day doubling down his comment. Must be a Labor (Day) of love. ;) :lol:
Still going...:lol: :lol: Gotta love the determination. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”