Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GreyingHound

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by GreyingHound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:09 pm I’m not sure the posts here reflect the lockeroom.

But if it does: They have some selfish kids. The pipeline clears after this year. IMO Players should look elsewhere if they are unhappy.
Couldn't agree more. If kids want to bail because we're having a down year, or they (or their parents) think they know more than the coaches about who should get playing time, then by all means enter the transfer portal and GTF out. We don't need those kinds of toxic, selfish attitudes in the locker room.
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:09 pm Hoping for a 2021 ending but it feels more like 2013 with all the internal distractions. I personally put this one is on the players. I see lots of talent, but no on-field leadership.
Until now, this season has felt a lot like 2021 to me, but now I think it's more like 2015 (2013 is a good analogy too). We came off a strong season (#3 seed in the NCAA's) with high expectations, and ended up losing a lot of close games. 2015 is the last time Georgetown beat us too, incidentally. I don't know how many kids bailed after that 2015 season, but the next year we were in the Final Four.

A lot of things have to fall into place to have a successful season. Turn a few of our close losses into close victories, in games where we led in the second half, and this could have been a huge season. Instead, we are where we are.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Loyolalax wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:28 am
GreyingHound wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:34 pm
Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:26 pm Again. Doing the same thing time and time again and expecting a different outcome… doesn’t work v good teams. Sad. Let some kids play and see what happens. Can’t be worse.
What a ridiculous statement. OF COURSE, it could be worse!

Did you watch the 4th quarter of the Navy game when we cleared the bench? Do you think that lineup looked better than our starters? Give me a break. The coaches are playing the kids they think give us the best chance of winning. It's that simple.
I did watch about 3/4 of the fourth when they began subbing. And those players did well against a mix of starters and subs. Greying seems to forget that those subs just sat for 1 1/2 hours. They came in and did fine.

Under greying logic. Did you see how our starters played the 3 and 4 quarters against BU. It was embarrassingly bad. But you give a pass to the starters when they screw up. Which many of them have all season long. And our record reflects it. This coaching staff does not hold players accountable for their consistent failures
Talk about doing the same thing time and time again... You guys post the exact same comments after every loss. I could write a bot to do it for you to save you the trouble. :geek:

Come on, we're all unhappy with the results we're seeing on the field. I'm sure the coaches and players are too. We all agree that the offensive production has not been what is should have been. The difference is that you guys seem to think, without any evidence, that there are players on the bench who would outperform the guys who are given playing time. I don't understand how you think you know better than the coaches. These guys do this for a living, have done it for a really long time, and have been really successful at it. That's where you lose me. I'm not giving a pass to anyone but the coaches, because I'm sure they know more than me, some random fan on the Internet.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:16 pm
Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:26 pm Again. Doing the same thing time and time again and expecting a different outcome… doesn’t work v good teams. Sad. Let some kids play and see what happens. Can’t be worse.

Did you watch the 4th quarter of the Navy game when we cleared the bench? Do you think that lineup looked better than our starters? Give me a break. The coaches are playing the kids they think give us the best chance of winning. It's that simple.
I did watch about 3/4 of the fourth when they began subbing. And those players did well against a mix of starters and subs. Greying seems to forget that those subs just sat for 1 1/2 hours. They came in and did fine.

Under greying logic. Did you see how our starters played the 3 and 4 quarters against BU. It was embarrassingly bad. But you give a pass to the starters when they screw up. Which many of them have all season long. And our record reflects it. This coaching staff does not hold players accountable for their consistent failures
Talk about doing the same thing time and time again... You guys post the exact same comments after every loss. I could write a bot to do it for you to save you the trouble. :geek:

Come on, we're all unhappy with the results we're seeing on the field. I'm sure the coaches and players are too. We all agree that the offensive production has not been what is should have been. The difference is that you guys seem to think, without any evidence, that there are players on the bench who would outperform the guys who are given playing time. I don't understand how you think you know better than the coaches. These guys do this for a living, have done it for a really long time, and have been really successful at it. That's where you lose me. I'm not giving a pass to anyone but the coaches, because I'm sure they know more than me, some random fan on the Internet.

+1

Let’s go fellas; put up time!!!!! Army helped the leagues SOS last week; can we do the same tonight???!
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Loyolalaxgrad wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:32 pm
3. +1 I would include Lablanc and Hughes, both playing extremely well
4. Changing goalies is more symbolic. Sally and Rezanka are your only solid dmids, benus has been coming on
I meant to call this out earlier. Hughes and Benus had the game of their lives against BU. The outcome would have been a lot worse if these two guys hadn't stepped up.

Hughes had 5 CT and 4 GB, and was named PL Defensive player of the week. What's funny is that he was credited with an assist on an unassisted Evan James goal where Hughes had nothing to do with the play. Wyers hit James with a clearing pass at the midfield line coming out of the box and James charged at the goal (took at least 20 steps) and canned a step down. Somehow Hughes was credited with the assist on that one. I rewatched it when I got home to make sure I didn't miss something. Nope, the official scorer made a mistake.

And I have been critical of Benus this season because I don't think he returned in playing shape, but over the last few games he has improved dramatically. Against BU, he had the first 3 points of his 5-year career. It's great to see him work his way back into shape.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Thank you GreyingHound. I agree - also rewatched and scorer got that one wrong. Between 5, 50 and 55 things can get lost in translation at the scorer's table - they are all very good and have a 5 on their jersey :lol: !

Most of the time I write a response and just delete because you can't argue with this lot. None of it makes any sense and I've got more important things to do - like live my life. But the best one was the poster who said Toomey looked dazed and confused? WTH? Ok - give me the dazed and confused standard or measure that are used to measure confused (head scratch, frown, jumping up and down??) and I'll watch for it...Even better, give me a time stamp so I can ensure we are looking at the same game.

Yeah - let me Coach a D1 level program - I'll be good at it. I'll even make sure my 4 Star High School Studs and # 33, # 45, # 59 IL rated players are all in the lineup and playing since Inside Lacrosse gave them a ranking for playing on a select travel team making Under Armor, or whatever the Beauty Pageant looks for...It just makes sense, right? They were great and awesome in High School and that immediately translates to immediate success playing at the college level - Give me an effin' break! Some players can do it, especially when surrounded by other good players in a good program. Pat Spencer was like that. Shellengberger is like that....

That's it - I'll pipe down, may or may not read any more LP for a few days, and just watch the game today. Go Hounds - I hope all of the boys play well.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:16 pm

Greying, but there are no changes, we do the same thing game in and game out hoping to get a better result. The evidence is out there, some of the offense and defense players are just not producing. No one is saying make wholesale changes, It does not take a lot to out perform some, When you have Bateman 0% , Lindsay 22%. Wigley at 6% shooting percentage, are you telling me this is the best? Why not run another middie with the second line, they cannot do any worse. Maybe you will find someone. That is what good coaches do.

As fans we are frustrated with the lack of productivity and the lack of coaching and preparation with this team.

But you have to admit that you have posters praise the staff no matter what they do. Can you honestly say MVA has gotten the most out of this talent this year? Olmstead shooting 22% only 17 goals in 11 games. The only offensive player averaging 2+ goals a game is Lindley and he is a respectable 38% shooting percentage. The only others in the 30% range are Poitras and Kamish. Does not say much about the offense coaching
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:35 pm
Loyolalaxgrad wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:32 pm
3. +1 I would include Lablanc and Hughes, both playing extremely well
4. Changing goalies is more symbolic. Sally and Rezanka are your only solid dmids, benus has been coming on
I meant to call this out earlier. Hughes and Benus had the game of their lives against BU. The outcome would have been a lot worse if these two guys hadn't stepped up.

Hughes had 5 CT and 4 GB, and was named PL Defensive player of the week. What's funny is that he was credited with an assist on an unassisted Evan James goal where Hughes had nothing to do with the play. Wyers hit James with a clearing pass at the midfield line coming out of the box and James charged at the goal (took at least 20 steps) and canned a step down. Somehow Hughes was credited with the assist on that one. I rewatched it when I got home to make sure I didn't miss something. Nope, the official scorer made a mistake.

And I have been critical of Benus this season because I don't think he returned in playing shape, but over the last few games he has improved dramatically. Against BU, he had the first 3 points of his 5-year career. It's great to see him work his way back into shape.
+1 agree Benus is in playing shape and I like Hughes
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

NovaHound wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:13 pm Thank you GreyingHound. I agree - also rewatched and scorer got that one wrong. Between 5, 50 and 55 things can get lost in translation at the scorer's table - they are all very good and have a 5 on their jersey :lol: !

Most of the time I write a response and just delete because you can't argue with this lot. None of it makes any sense and I've got more important things to do - like live my life. But the best one was the poster who said Toomey looked dazed and confused? WTH? Ok - give me the dazed and confused standard or measure that are used to measure confused (head scratch, frown, jumping up and down??) and I'll watch for it...Even better, give me a time stamp so I can ensure we are looking at the same game.

Yeah - let me Coach a D1 level program - I'll be good at it. I'll even make sure my 4 Star High School Studs and # 33, # 45, # 59 IL rated players are all in the lineup and playing since Inside Lacrosse gave them a ranking for playing on a select travel team making Under Armor, or whatever the Beauty Pageant looks for...It just makes sense, right? They were great and awesome in High School and that immediately translates to immediate success playing at the college level - Give me an effin' break! Some players can do it, especially when surrounded by other good players in a good program. Pat Spencer was like that. Shellengberger is like that....

That's it - I'll pipe down, may or may not read any more LP for a few days, and just watch the game today. Go Hounds - I hope all of the boys play well.
I say Hughes is the best defender on this team. Maybe novahound has some vested interest being that Hughes in from nova. I am not a Loyola loyalist and I appreciate those of you who defend this team at all costs. I am a lax junky who watches many teams and lives for the espn + replays to catch all I can. That said I was excited to see the BU game in person. I challenge those at the game tonight to compare our coaches vs. gtown coaches. I couldn’t see it on tv but man our sideline is dead and the coaches don’t seem to care.

Second I made a comment about 4-5 guys who don’t have stats this year. That means a LOT have played so if they didn’t show their worth in the time on the field then they are not ready. Maybe the offense is not playing well but the guys who got on the field haven’t shown enough to get back out there. The two defenders who haven’t played are likely because the three guys out there don’t need to be removed. They are solid-especially now that Wyers seems to be healthy again.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

NovaHound wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:13 pm Thank you GreyingHound. I agree - also rewatched and scorer got that one wrong. Between 5, 50 and 55 things can get lost in translation at the scorer's table - they are all very good and have a 5 on their jersey :lol: !

I say Hughes is the best defender on this team. Maybe novahound has some vested interest being that Hughes in from nova. I am not a Loyola loyalist and I appreciate those of you who defend this team at all costs. I am a lax junky who watches many teams and lives for the espn + replays to catch all I can. That said I was excited to see the BU game in person. I challenge those at the game tonight to compare Loyola coaches vs. gtown coaches. I couldn’t see it on tv but man our sideline is dead and the coaches don’t seem to care. BU coaches were amped and I would bet Warne and his staff will be the same. That energy trickles down to the team.

Second I made a comment about 4-5 guys who don’t have stats this year. That means a LOT have played so if they didn’t show their worth in the time on the field then they are not ready. Maybe the offense is not playing well but the guys who got on the field haven’t shown enough to get back out there. The two defenders who haven’t played are likely in that boat because the three guys out there don’t need to be removed. They are solid-especially now that Wyers seems to be healthy again.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I say Hughes is the best defender on this team. Maybe novahound has some vested interest being that Hughes in from nova. I am not a Loyola loyalist and I appreciate those of you who defend this team at all costs. I am a lax junky who watches many teams and lives for the espn + replays to catch all I can. That said I was excited to see the BU game in person. I challenge those at the game tonight to compare Loyola coaches vs. gtown coaches. I couldn’t see it on tv but man our sideline is dead and the coaches don’t seem to care. BU coaches were amped and I would bet Warne and his staff will be the same. That energy trickles down to the team.

Second I made a comment about 4-5 guys who don’t have stats this year. That means a LOT have played so if they didn’t show their worth in the time on the field then they are not ready. Maybe the offense is not playing well but the guys who got on the field haven’t shown enough to get back out there. The two defenders who haven’t played are likely in that boat because the three guys out there don’t need to be removed. They are solid-especially now that Wyers seems to be healthy again.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Exlaxbro wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:23 pm

I say Hughes is the best defender on this team. Maybe novahound has some vested interest being that Hughes in from nova. I am not a Loyola loyalist and I appreciate those of you who defend this team at all costs. I am a lax junky who watches many teams and lives for the espn + replays to catch all I can. That said I was excited to see the BU game in person. I challenge those at the game tonight to compare our coaches vs. gtown coaches. I couldn’t see it on tv but man our sideline is dead and the coaches don’t seem to care.

Second I made a comment about 4-5 guys who don’t have stats this year. That means a LOT have played so if they didn’t show their worth in the time on the field then they are not ready. Maybe the offense is not playing well but the guys who got on the field haven’t shown enough to get back out there. The two defenders who haven’t played are likely because the three guys out there don’t need to be removed. They are solid-especially now that Wyers seems to be healthy again.
Interesting comment about the sidelines. I got to Cooper Field about an hour early and have been watching the teams warm up. The difference in the energy is unreal. The Hounds were already out on the field sluggishly going through some drills when the Hoyas took the field hooting and hollering so loud that they drowned out the music. If this is any indication of the respective energies that the teams will bring to the game, the Hounds are in serious trouble.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:08 pm

Interesting comment about the sidelines. I got to Cooper Field about an hour early and have been watching the teams warm up. The difference in the energy is unreal. The Hounds were already out on the field sluggishly going through some drills when the Hoyas took the field hooting and hollering so loud that they drowned out the music. If this is any indication of the respective energies that the teams will bring to the game, the Hounds are in serious trouble.

Going to need a spark out there. Might not be the worst thing to see the Hounds fall behind early (though not by too much!), then see one player give it his all and the team comes alive.

In any event, it’s not a great predictor to look at ‘field introduction energy’; sometimes you can burn up energy in the pregame that you’ll need in the real game.

In Bailey I trust.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Saw the same thing last weekend, no energy. That falls on sr leadership and coaches
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

So I will ask Nova, what did you think of the egg laid now two games in a row. James 0-5 Olmstead 0-5, Big time players show up for big time games. Though this game does not mean anything, it speaks volumes about the team
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Rough outing against a very good team. Not very surprising.

The two biggest surprises for me:
  • Savio struggled at the faceoff dot (4-11), but it was great to see Cottone step in and go 4-5.
  • Sam had 17 saves! Wow! He was dialed in.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:49 pm Rough outing against a very good team. Not very surprising.

• Savio struggled at the faceoff dot (4-11), but it was great to see Cottone step in and go 4-5.
I was pretty impressed with the Loyola defense - for what it’s worth
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:57 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:49 pm Rough outing against a very good team. Not very surprising.

The close D and LSM are very good, the goalie is solid, but the SSD is the area that needs shoring up. The offense is decent but predictable, and lacks dodgers that can force slides. I do not think GU had to slide much at all, leading to stagnation and forced passes. Perhaps all of returning seniors had simply reached their ceilings.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Jldlax wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:17 pm

The close D and LSM are very good, the goalie is solid, but the SSD is the area that needs shoring up. The offense is decent but predictable, and lacks dodgers that can force slides. I do not think GU had to slide much at all, leading to stagnation and forced passes. Perhaps all of returning seniors had simply reached their ceilings.
I don't know how many Loyola games you have watched this season, but that is a remarkably insightful summary and a plausible theory. After having watched all of Loyola's games (10 of them in person), all I can add is that at times the goaltending has been suspect, but tonight, it was impressive. Also, the SSDMs have been inconsistent. Rezanka stands out from the others as the clear #1, but as a unit, they are not as solid as the close D and LSMs. Your comments about the offense are spot on. Even the EMO is stagnant.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:55 pm
Jldlax wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:17 pm

I don't know how many Loyola games you have watched this season, but that is a remarkably insightful summary and a plausible theory. After having watched all of Loyola's games (10 of them in person), all I can add is that at times the goaltending has been suspect, but tonight, it was impressive. Also, the SSDMs have been inconsistent. Rezanka stands out from the others as the clear #1, but as a unit, they are not as solid as the close D and LSMs. Your comments about the offense are spot on. Even the EMO is stagnant.
this is what I have been saying from the beginning. There is no shoring up SSSDs now, the coaches have had opportunities to do so, but they kept running the same players. Rezanka and Sally solid... the rest you cannot trust and I think the poles do not they consistently get beat.

Offense, just beating a dead horse. Today our shooting percentage was 19%. MVA was a great offensive coach, not so much now

Remember this was the same team that was a bounce shot away from going to the final four. What changed?
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

laxbro11 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:03 pm

Saw the same thing last weekend, no energy. That falls on sr leadership and coaches
I am curious from those at the game. How was the sideline energy? It was said they looked flat in warmups and the team didn’t get out of the gate very fast. At least the offense did not. The few sideline shots on the broadcast showed Gtown jumping around having fun but they didn’t show much of Loyola. Just wondering if they went flat again in the 4th. The broadcast said Toomey basically blew this game off as he is focused on Colgate so that could explain things somewhat.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”