Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Loyolalax

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by Loyolalax »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:00 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:33 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:54 pm Now that I've put my thoughts in writing, please revisit this post in 3 weeks to praise or mock me after BU does/doesn't go 0-3 to finish the season. Go Hounds!
Let the mockery begin. Nearly everything I predicted ended up being wrong. Not only did Loyola lose the game, but we really struggled with the 10-man ride, especially in the first half. BU is a better team than I gave them credit for. In fact, they are pretty evenly matched with the Hounds, as they proved today.

I am scratching my head looking at the box score. How is it possible that saves were even at 13? It felt to me like Garber was stopping everything that came his way. GBs were also even at 33. The Hounds had more turnovers, 17-13, which almost erased our advantage on faceoffs, 17-10. Interesting that not a single flag was thrown (aside from a BU offsides that got erased by a goal).

Tough loss. Too many turnovers led to playing too much defense on a hot day. It really showed in the second half.
I was at the game today. Beautiful weather but poor lacrosse. This will be unpopular on this forum but this team has grossly underachieved and that is on the coaches. Watching them on the sideline they either have gotten complacent or there are just too many players to manage to keep their focus on the game in front of them. These coaches have well respected reputations but there is no other explanation for a team to play unprepared and without passion. Especially with so many experienced guys. We can only hope they get hot in the PL tournament and get the AQ or it is a wasted year.
+1
Unprepared for 10 man ride. Offense was stagnant. 17 turnovers. 12 second half. First 3 possessions second half turnovers. It has been said on this board before, if these are our best players we are in trouble

Shafer played well as well as close d for the most part ball was in defensive end most the day. Rezanka sally and benus played well. Sherwood and macgillicuddy cost us goals They have not gotten any better and in big games this is what happens.

MVA makes no adjustments at half or during the game.
Cannot turn the ball over on the offense end.

The team was out coached by BU.
I
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

Loyolalax wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:10 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:54 pm Now that I've put my thoughts in writing, please revisit this post in 3 weeks to praise or mock me after BU does/doesn't go 0-3 to finish the season. Go Hounds!
Let the mockery begin. Nearly everything I predicted ended up being wrong. Not only did Loyola lose the game, but we really struggled with the 10-man ride, especially in the first half. BU is a better team than I gave them credit for. In fact, they are pretty evenly matched with the Hounds, as they proved today.

I am scratching my head looking at the box score. How is it possible that saves were even at 13? It felt to me like Garber was stopping everything that came his way. GBs were also even at 33. The Hounds had more turnovers, 17-13, which almost erased our advantage on faceoffs, 17-10. Interesting that not a single flag was thrown (aside from a BU offsides that got erased by a goal).

Tough loss. Too many turnovers led to playing too much defense on a hot day. It really showed in the second half.
I was at the game today. Beautiful weather but poor lacrosse. This will be unpopular on this forum but this team has grossly underachieved and that is on the coaches. Watching them on the sideline they either have gotten complacent or there are just too many players to manage to keep their focus on the game in front of them. These coaches have well respected reputations but there is no other explanation for a team to play unprepared and without passion. Especially with so many experienced guys. We can only hope they get hot in the PL tournament and get the AQ or it is a wasted year.
+1
Unprepared for 10 man ride. Offense was stagnant. 17 turnovers. 12 second half. First 3 possessions second half turnovers. It has been said on this board before, if these are our best players we are in trouble

Shafer played well as well as close d for the most part ball was in defensive end most the day. Rezanka sally and benus played well. Sherwood and macgillicuddy cost us goals They have not gotten any better and in big games this is what happens.

I
I watched the game again.

Offesnisve: Olmstead was 0-6, but he did have 3 assts, I can live with that. Lindley solid 3 of 5 a good outing. Higgins 0-6. I can keep going. 9 of 35 with shots. 25% You cannot win games at that shooting percentage, may if you shot 60 times like Navy. There is no creation, no cutting. Ball movement was good first half, lacked second half. Lindsay, Binney, Bateman are all just warm bodies on the field, they contributed nothing. Would like to see what Seay could do, but he has been buried on the bench.

FOGO, Bailey did what he had to do.
Goalie: Sam played well, and Staudt did also when he came in

Defense, I will amend my previous post. Wyers played well but also got beat. But i find it interesting, he gets beat and he is replaced. Coach Toomey sends a message to a pre season all american. I think it is a good move. We do no such thing on offense. Hughes had a great day and Leblanc is mr consistency, under the radar, doing his job.

The coaching staff is ok with the consistent turnovers by the same players since game one, they continue to play. They are okay with players on defense getting beat, not communicating, not sliding when they should. Case in point, when the two SSDMs did not communicate with the pic at X and allowed the BU player to shoot at point blank range on Shafer. Or when they allow them to get top side and get a 10yd step down.

Either the coaching staff needs to do a better job preparing the these players, or they need to find players that can do the job. It really looked like there was no heart yesterday in this team.

As we saw yesterday, any team can get beat, and we could lose the next three and end the season 5-9. That is the reality. And next Tuesday, could be a Georgetown Massacre. I am sure they are not happy with what happened last year.

And I know some people will not like what I have had to say, but sometimes truth is a hard pill to swallow. We cannot keep saying, they are getting better, we are 11 games in. We should not have the unforced turnovers that we have.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

All the motivation the hounds need. This happened in our house
https://twitter.com/usalacrossemag/stat ... 9ceV76G61Q
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Loyolalax wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:20 am

+1

I

Offesnisve: Olmstead was 0-6, but he did have 3 assts, I can live with that. Lindley solid 3 of 5 a good outing. Higgins 0-6. I can keep going. 9 of 35 with shots. 25% You cannot win games at that shooting percentage, may if you shot 60 times like Navy. There is no creation, no cutting. Ball movement was good first half, lacked second half. Lindsay, Binney, Bateman are all just warm bodies on the field, they contributed nothing. Would like to see what Seay could do, but he has been buried on the bench.

Defense, I will amend my previous post. Wyers played well but also got beat. But i find it interesting, he gets beat and he is replaced. Coach Toomey sends a message to a pre season all american. I think it is a good move. We do no such thing on offense. Hughes had a great day and Leblanc is mr consistency, under the radar, doing his job.

The coaching staff is ok with the consistent turnovers by the same players since game one, they continue to play. They are okay with players on defense getting beat, not communicating, not sliding when they should. Case in point, when the two SSDMs did not communicate with the pic at X and allowed the BU player to shoot at point blank range on Shafer. Or when they allow them to get top side and get a 10yd step down.

Either the coaching staff needs to do a better job preparing the these players, or they need to find players that can do the job. It really looked like there was no heart yesterday in this team.

As we saw yesterday, any team can get beat, and we could lose the next three and end the season 5-9. That is the reality. And next Tuesday, could be a Georgetown Massacre. I am sure they are not happy with what happened last year.

And I know some people will not like what I have had to say, but sometimes truth is a hard pill to swallow. We cannot keep saying, they are getting better, we are 11 games in. We should not have the unforced turnovers that we have.
I agree and it speaks to my earlier point about the coaches. Are they critically watching video of practice? Are there guys showing signs that deserve a few runs with the first line? If not then we have a personnel issue and we didn’t recruit well. If so then get them in the game and let them learn. We are 5-6 and even though we are hanging by a thread, we have not had a season that we should have with all of this experience. Get others in games to get them experience and prepare for next year. Charley needs to shake up the staff. MVA and Dwan are stagnant. Get some fresh ideas in the building if you want to get to Memorial Day.
Loyolalaxgrad

Post by Loyolalaxgrad »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:23 am
Loyolalax wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:20 am

+1

I

I agree and it speaks to my earlier point about the coaches. Are they critically watching video of practice? Are there guys showing signs that deserve a few runs with the first line? If not then we have a personnel issue and we didn’t recruit well. If so then get them in the game and let them learn. We are 5-6 and even though we are hanging by a thread, we have not had a season that we should have with all of this experience. Get others in games to get them experience and prepare for next year. Charley needs to shake up the staff. MVA and Dwan are stagnant. Get some fresh ideas in the building if you want to get to Memorial Day.
Agree on all points. If MVA is so talented. Why are we not scoring more. Why do we have so many turnovers. This team has underachieved. No leadership from the 5th years. No holding players accountable.

Rumors are players are looking elsewhere. Entering the portal. If everything is good at Ridley players would not be looking

Coach needs to right the ship sooner vs later
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

Again. Doing the same thing time and time again and expecting a different outcome… doesn’t work v good teams. Sad. Let some kids play and see what happens. Can’t be worse.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:26 pm Again. Doing the same thing time and time again and expecting a different outcome… doesn’t work v good teams. Sad. Let some kids play and see what happens. Can’t be worse.
What a ridiculous statement. OF COURSE, it could be worse!

Did you watch the 4th quarter of the Navy game when we cleared the bench? Do you think that lineup looked better than our starters? Give me a break. The coaches are playing the kids they think give us the best chance of winning. It's that simple.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

GreyingHound wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:34 pm
Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:26 pm Again. Doing the same thing time and time again and expecting a different outcome… doesn’t work v good teams. Sad. Let some kids play and see what happens. Can’t be worse.

Did you watch the 4th quarter of the Navy game when we cleared the bench? Do you think that lineup looked better than our starters? Give me a break. The coaches are playing the kids they think give us the best chance of winning. It's that simple.

It could always be worse. You could be Ferrum College, which lost yesterday to W&L 31-3.
Laxmaninamillion

Um, I saw a 4star middie who is the #59 rated incoming freshman score on a step down from 15 yards in basically his only action this year. Hadn’t seen that from any other second/third line middie all year. Of course he didn’t play yesterday either. So yeah, maybe I’d like to see more of these kind of guys rather than fifth years who haven’t scored all year except for a goal or two.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:19 pm

Um, I saw a 4star middie who is the #59 rated incoming freshman score on a step down from 15 yards in basically his only action this year. Hadn’t seen that from any other second/third line middie all year. Of course he didn’t play yesterday either. So yeah, maybe I’d like to see more of these kind of guys rather than fifth years who haven’t scored all year except for a goal or two.
You've got to be kidding me. Yes, McGorry had a nice goal on 2 shots (sorry to break the news to you, but all of that "4star" high school recruiting hype is irrelevant once you're in college). I expect he will have a bright future with the Hounds. But our reserves scored 1 goal in 15 minutes of action. That's what you think is better production than our starters, who scored 9 in the first quarter?
Laxmaninamillion

See that’s where you don’t pay attention. I NEVER said starters weren’t productive. Said second and third group of middies have been brutal. Give guys like McGory a chance to see what he can do instead of Seay, Bateman, Wigley and Heuston. And he scored on his only shot that game. Look at the shooting % of these upper class men. Need secondary scoring.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I’m not sure the posts here reflect the lockeroom.

But if it does: They have some selfish kids. The pipeline clears after this year. IMO Players should look elsewhere if they are unhappy.

Hoping for a 2021 ending but it feels more like 2013 with all the internal distractions. I personally put this one is on the players. I see lots of talent, but no on-field leadership.

You don’t right this ship with huge game changing plays. You do it by playing smart team defense, digging out GBs and canning your 1v1 shots.

How this team responds will be interesting. Door is still open. If they do the small things and play as a team they can have a good ending.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Righting the ship comes from the top and th epist grad leadership.

I think the comments about McGorry is that if he did a run with Piotras and James or whomever. It could not hurt anymore than Bateman Seay etc.

and we have seen what other teams have done to holy cross. Lafayette etc. this team has underperformed. And the question is why?

To be honest Georgetown game means nothing. I would prepare but be ready for Colgate. They are playing with confidence.

What will the great MVA do to fix the offense. What will Charlie do to motivate and inspire the team to perform.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:49 am Righting the ship comes from the top and th epist grad leadership.

I think the comments about McGorry is that if he did a run with Piotras and James or whomever. It could not hurt anymore than Bateman Seay etc.

and we have seen what other teams have done to holy cross. Lafayette etc. this team has underperformed. And the question is why?

To be honest Georgetown game means nothing. I would prepare but be ready for Colgate. They are playing with confidence.

What will the great MVA do to fix the offense. What will Charlie do to motivate and inspire the team to perform.

It’ll almost bum us out if we beat Georgetown.
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

I did watch about 3/4 of the fourth when they began subbing. And those players did well against a mix of starters and subs. Greying seems to forget that those subs just sat for 1 1/2 hours. They came in and did fine.

Under greying logic. Did you see how our starters played the 3 and 4 quarters against BU. It was embarrassingly bad. But you give a pass to the starters when they screw up. Which many of them have all season long. And our record reflects it. This coaching staff does not hold players accountable for their consistent failures
Laxmaninamillion

I’ve watched this team most of the season on TV (sorry, don’t live in Bmore). I’m just very surprised by the following:
1. Olmsted and his turnovers (28) and shooting % (22). Really thought he would be much better in this, his fifth year;
2. Other than James, Higgins, Poitras and Kamish they’ve gotten nothing out of their middies. I know these guys rotate with Lindsey into the attack position. That said, the rest of the second group has done squat. Thought Bateman (7G) Wigley (10 G) and Seay (14G) last year would form a very effective second group of middies to allow Loyola to rest the first group a bit more while scoring on their own. They have 3 goals combined this year on 35 shots. In fact, last week when Kamish went out with an injury Batemen and his one point this entire year, was put on man up. What the heck.
3. Thought the defense would be much better than they have been. Sure they beat up on HC, and Navy but as a whole other than McNulty, Wyers and Rezanka they’ve been disappointing.
4. Lastly I’ve been shocked at the stubbornness of the coaches to make changes (other than changing goalies throughout the beginning of the year). When your top short stick D Middie has as many goals as your second line offensive middies do combined you have a huge problem.

This is why I’ve been promoting playing some of the younger guys. McGory showed well v Navy. Haven’t seen another 4 star Dixon play at all (is he hurt). Roman showed well at D in his limited opportunities. They are going nowhere with what they are doing now. Make some changes. Shake up the older guys who just seem so complacent when they get out there.
Loyolalaxgrad

Post by Loyolalaxgrad »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:53 am I’ve watched this team most of the season on TV (sorry, don’t live in Bmore). I’m just very surprised by the following:
1. Olmsted and his turnovers (28) and shooting % (22). Really thought he would be much better in this, his fifth year;
2. Other than James, Higgins, Poitras and Kamish they’ve gotten nothing out of their middies. I know these guys rotate with Lindsey into the attack position. That said, the rest of the second group has done squat. Thought Bateman (7G) Wigley (10 G) and Seay (14G) last year would form a very effective second group of middies to allow Loyola to rest the first group a bit more while scoring on their own. They have 3 goals combined this year on 35 shots. In fact, last week when Kamish went out with an injury Batemen and his one point this entire year, was put on man up. What the heck.
3. Thought the defense would be much better than they have been. Sure they beat up on HC, and Navy but as a whole other than McNulty, Wyers and Rezanka they’ve been disappointing.
4. Lastly I’ve been shocked at the stubbornness of the coaches to make changes (other than changing goalies throughout the beginning of the year). When your top short stick D Middie has as many goals as your second line offensive middies do combined you have a huge problem.

This is why I’ve been promoting playing some of the younger guys. McGory showed well v Navy. Haven’t seen another 4 star Dixon play at all (is he hurt). Roman showed well at D in his limited opportunities. They are going nowhere with what they are doing now. Make some changes. Shake up the older guys who just seem so complacent when they get out there.
1. +1
2. +1
3. +1 I would include Lablanc and Hughes, both playing extremely well
4. Changing goalies is more symbolic. Sally and Rezanka are your only solid dmids, benus has been coming on

What this team lacks is chemistry offensively and defensively. Offensively the only ones that seems to be on the same page is Olmstead and Lindley. Defensively, the close
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Loyolalaxgrad wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:32 pm
Laxmaninamillion wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:53 am I’ve watched this team most of the season on TV (sorry, don’t live in Bmore). I’m just very surprised by the following:

1. +1
2. +1
3. +1 I would include Lablanc and Hughes, both playing extremely well
4. Changing goalies is more symbolic. Sally and Rezanka are your only solid dmids, benus has been coming on

What this team lacks is chemistry offensively and defensively. Offensively the only ones that seems to be on the same page is Olmstead and Lindley. Defensively, the close
Just did a quick look at the stats. It seems Dixon, Annetta, Conklin, and Houlihan are the only players to not get time this year. Not sure if they are injury related, ability related, or just overlooked. After watching the game in person Saturday, I would not be surprised that they were overlooked. There are so many guys on the sideline and the coaches just looked confused and unorganized. I went to the Maryland v. Ohio state game later that day and saw coaches working just as I saw BU coaches working. Not sure what is going on at Loyola but it isn’t the Toomey teams I used to remember.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Sorry add Yowan to that mix. He is the only goalie that wasn’t in the early season shuffle.
molo

Post by molo »

Hounds fans sound a little pessimistic going into this evening’s Jesuit Bowl. An upset of the consensus number two team might cheer some fans up. Gonna be cool and windy tonight.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”