THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:54 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:45 pm Politics in the D1 Men's Lacrosse threads, found in the Men's Lacrosse section, should come with a quick warning, followed by a harsh penalty for the second offense. Plenty enough room in the Anything But Lacrosse section for the Her Holiness type discussions (couldn't resist that, Doc).
Wholeheartedly concur. Let’s stick to lacrosse.

I feel a cube coming on.

W
Let me get this straight, Woms ... in college, you tried to bring chickens to our Baltimore row house because you wanted “fresh eggs.” I remained your friend.

Decades later you developed a strange obsession for cats. I remained your friend.

In 1995 (or was it 1996), I spent 1/16th of my entire annual takehome pay to fly across the country and attend a special event of yours because you were my dear friend.

And now ... you COLLUDE with a Syracuse lax fan and a Virginia lax fan against your fellow Blue Jay and former college roommate?!? We’ve been friends since the days when Steven MUELLER, uh, Muller was PRESIDENT at Hopkins. Such a BETRAYAL of an old friend can only reasonably be viewed as an INDICTMENT of your current priorities in life. Your abandonment of our friendship is simply SCANDALOUS.

Anyway, I agree with others that Evan Zinn should be given a lot more playing time. <——— focus of this post

DocBarrister (hurt) :o
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

BS.

I come here to enjoy lacrosse, lax friends, and topical lacrosse-related banter, as an ESCAPE from the real world.

I do not need you or anyone else bringing politics into this forum and this particular thread. Admin has set up a separate forum with various threads for that simple purpose.

It’s not personal, simply business.

Please respect that Admin has set up a new sandbox for us to play in, but it’s still his sandbox.

If you need a timeout, go for it.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:10 am BS.

I come here to enjoy lacrosse, lax friends, and topical lacrosse-related banter, as an ESCAPE from the real world.

I do not need you or anyone else bringing politics into this forum and this particular thread. Admin has set up a separate forum with various threads for that simple purpose.

It’s not personal, simply business.

Please respect that Admin has set up a new sandbox for us to play in, but it’s still his sandbox.

If you need a timeout, go for it.
Danny Jones got named to the USILA weekly team for his record-setting (for a Hopkins SSDM) 6 CTs (plus 3 GBs). Captain stepped up for his team.

Want to post about that instead of urging my exile?

My tweet on Danny Jones’ accomplishment garnered over 3,000 views and 17 “likes” in a very short time. The young man, who has been criticized often in the past, obviously commands a lot of respect.

Congratulations Mr. Jones.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Hopkins-Syracuse

Post by DocBarrister »

Didn’t watch the game, but reportedly Virginia inverted frequently on offense with much success.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracu ... utType=amp

That sounds like a game plan custom-built for Epstein and Williams. Might see a big game from both, especially if Matt Narewski and Prouty can have another good game.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Petro's Life Lessons

Post by DocBarrister »

Not sure why, but I’ve been thinking about the past quite a bit recently. Here’s one of the best articles I have ever read about Coach Pietramala and Hopkins lacrosse, from 2007. Petro didn’t know it at the time, but his team was putting together one of the monumental seasons in the program’s illustrious history ... the “Band of Brothers” national championship year:

"David was quite a talent," Tierney said. "Most people would say he's the best defenseman who ever played the game and I would never argue that fact. He was a fabulous talent, a fabulous athlete."

"He saw things before they happened," Kessenich said. "And he wasn't afraid to make the play. Today, guys aren't as aggressive. They'll just wait and see what happens. Not Dave. He'd see a play he could make and he was gone. He was tremendous."

https://www.pressboxonline.com/story/16 ... fe-lessons

Ten caused turnovers against Princeton. Glad to see Petro coaching his team to be more aggressive.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:32 am Ten caused turnovers against Princeton. Glad to see Petro coaching his team to be more aggressive.
I wish it were true that they were more aggressive but I really don't think that is the case. One player is aggressive because, frankly, he has to be. If Jones played defense like the rest of the defensive mid-field he would get eaten alive as he is too small. He needs the wrap around check and hounding at well planned instances to provide his contributions. Because as we saw in the second quarter, a Tiger middie simply knocked him over and somehow shot wide of the cage. BTW - it was Jones who drew the flag for hitting Sowers after Foley had gotten Sowers to the ground - you can argue whether Foley should have gotten a hold first but Jones' play was very ill advised. Princeton scored and had an EMO face-off. Senior Captains need to make better decisions.

I watched alot of the Cuse/Virginia game on replay. I also happened o catch some of Syracuse/Army. It seems to me the Orange like to alley dodge to start alot of their plays. This has been a Hopkins defensive weakness. If we let Syracuse operate like Atayan and Durbin did - could be a long day. To have a chance - win your share of face-offs, take much better care of the ball, have your goalie play reasonably well and maybe come out wearing UVA basketball jerseys - after Monday the home crowd may get ill and leave - that was a shooting display of the first order.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

45wewantmore wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:47 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:49 pm Do the free seven day trial and then cancel it sometime this week.

It’s a W, and far from perfect, but it was enough.

On to the armpit of the universe, Syracuse, where antidepressants keep people alive in the gray, sooty snow.
what bleak prose from a Mod Emeritus

Does Wombat need a hug?

If you are cold put a coat on

Cuse vs The Hop

Cavaliers vs The Roundheads

Hatfields vs The McCoys

Rebels vs The Evil Empire
I did not register that name because I did not want to tempt fate.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
runrussellrun

Re: Petro's Life Lessons

Post by runrussellrun »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:32 am Not sure why, but I’ve been thinking about the past quite a bit recently. Here’s one of the best articles I have ever read about Coach Pietramala and Hopkins lacrosse, from 2007. Petro didn’t know it at the time, but his team was putting together one of the monumental seasons in the program’s illustrious history ... the “Band of Brothers” national championship year:

"David was quite a talent," Tierney said. "Most people would say he's the best defenseman who ever played the game and I would never argue that fact. He was a fabulous talent, a fabulous athlete."

"He saw things before they happened," Kessenich said. "And he wasn't afraid to make the play. Today, guys aren't as aggressive. They'll just wait and see what happens. Not Dave. He'd see a play he could make and he was gone. He was tremendous."

https://www.pressboxonline.com/story/16 ... fe-lessons

Ten caused turnovers against Princeton. Glad to see Petro coaching his team to be more aggressive.

DocBarrister 8-)
How many CTO's did Dave have in his ullustrious career? (sorry for spelling like a Canadian )
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HopFan16

Re: Petro's Life Lessons

Post by HopFan16 »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:41 am

How many CTO's did Dave have in his ullustrious career? (sorry for spelling like a Canadian )
CTs weren't an official stat until 2009. Not sure if it's possible to obtain that info. Nothing in the Hopkins archives that I'm seeing. My guess is the answer is "a lot."

Agree with 51—I haven't seen much to indicate that the defense is being any more aggressive than usual. They almost never press out or put much pressure on the ball carrier. Jones has always been something of an outlier for the reasons stated, and despite the occasional bone-headed decision I think he's earned the right to go for some of those more risky checks.

For what it's worth I actually think Foley is better when he's not playing as aggressively—his footwork is phenomenal and he can match feet with pretty much any attackman, as we saw this weekend. He doesn't need to go for those risky takeaway checks. When he does he's gotten into a little bit of trouble. He did just fine putting Sowers on the turf without ceding good position.

Our #2 SSDM has the same number of points as our #1 offensive middie (4), more points than the other two guys on the first line, and more points than two of the guys on the second line. The transition game, till this point, has been a more reliable source of offense than the midfield in 6v6 sets. Add that to the fact that Syracuse has some big and athletic SSDMs—now might be the time to throw Zinn into the fire and see how he does. If we don't see more of him on Saturday, I don't love his chances of playing much more for the rest of this season barring injury. And that would...upset me.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Absolutely 're: Zinn ! He should be on the field as much as possible. :ugeek:
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I pointed out the first midfields dreadful stats during last weeks game and you're right we're not talking about the lack of production because the transition game has produced the scoring they're supposed to be giving us and not. We've also done a good job limiting other teams in transition. Forry and Connor were two candidates primed to make the jump this year that cole made last year and they clearly haven't. Cole Williams has been a turnover machine although he started to heat up last week. Teams did their homework on him over the summer.

If you're looking for positives concannon and connor had very strong games in the dome last year as did marr and cole.

Mt St Marys and Princeton had nice wins last night. Delaware has a game today.

Apparently we're getting a new student center, the photo on the release looks like a WOMBAT choice. I don't want to get banned, but my gosh.
https://hub.jhu.edu/2019/03/06/hopkins- ... ouncement/
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

It's not like they let the kids drink on the Beach anymore, thus, doesnt real serve a purpose, might as well put a building there.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

steel_hop wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:11 pm It's not like they let the kids drink on the Beach anymore, thus, doesnt real serve a purpose, might as well put a building there.
Sounds like they’re bulldozing the Mattin Center and expanding the new building’s footprint to be a much larger use of that space.

Looks like The Beach is safe.

06, didn’t catch the photo you were referring to, unless it was the one that looked like a well aimed two ton drop of weights could have launched a president over Union Memorial.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

I'm all in for Zinn.
University West

Post by University West »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:24 pm
JJ_Lax wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:17 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:43 pm
admin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:50 am Tweet. Doc, keep politics off the field. Seems like a little Trump ribbing is a relatively innocuous thing to do but... It's not. Politics here, Lacrosse here. Tweet. Keep playing...
Yeah ... but what if Hopkins wins the national championship & Trump has been impeached? Go to the White House or not? Lacrosse forum or political forum?

And should the Blue Jays be allowed to eat all those Big Macs that Trump serves? Could adversely impact their health and future lacrosse performance. Lacrosse forum or political forum? :?:

I’m asking. :?: :?

DocBarrister ;)
The Jays’ postgame fare at Princeton included hoagies stuffed with chicken tenders, deep fried mozzarella, and French fries so health concerns might not carry as much weight as you might hope
Hoagie Haven?
If you go to Princeton for the day and don't stop at Haven, you're doing it wrong. 5 days and I'm already craving it.
45wewantmore

Post by 45wewantmore »

bit late for #TBT but thought some of you might like a trip down memory lane

2006 Hop visits Rome
also plays a friendly vs "Old Blighty" or your colonial cousins (depending on POV)
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Hawkeye's page has JHU/SU on ACC network but, ESPN doesn't show it. Any help?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Never mind, Found it.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

If you signed up for the free ESPN+ 7 day trial last Saturday, be sure to cancel it by TONIGHT.
Hopkins34

Post by Hopkins34 »

Thanks for the ESPN Plus cancel alert.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”