THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
viper

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by viper »

steel_hop wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:22 pm I get ESPN wanting to make cord cutters pay but if I have cable and pay for ESPN that way I should get it for free. I'm not paying twice.
I pay almost $300 a month for FIOS and now I am supposed to come up with more cash to see yet another ESPN channel?????
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Do the free seven day trial and then cancel it sometime this week.

It’s a W, and far from perfect, but it was enough.

On to the armpit of the universe, Syracuse, where antidepressants keep people alive in the gray, sooty snow.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Stars
Wings-Hubler/Zinn/Kuhn did a fantastic job. F/O-Great bounceback for Prouty and Narewski continues to play big. Foley-not sure what else you could've asked from a defenseman.

Up
The 5 pts sowers got are not the story. Tremendous job Foley did and the only times Sowers seemed to have the ball were off of restarts.
Hubler-not someone we talked about much during the offseason but he and kuhn have more responsibilities during the game than anyone. They were targeting him and jones and he got better as game went on.
Prouty-always happy to see kids bounce back.
Darby/Narewski-continue to give at least passable and sometimes better than efforts in areas we thought would be major concerns.
Won gbs-credit to f/o but owen also picked up 7.
Danny Jones-6 ct-wow.
Baskin-big day for him-continues to show he deserves to see the field more.
2 wins on the road in a row against rivals. Not sure how many Hop teams have won at unc/princeton in the same year but they weren't flukes. the 4th quarter especially today showed a lot of character. Prouty bouncing back and even though epstein struggled at times the hustle didn't let up and he kept working until success started falling.

Whatever
Did a great job getting back and pushing it on transition but too many shots weren't backed up 3-4 possessions lost w/no backup.
Marr-strong start, quiet as game went on.
Epstein-wasn't his day but the effort was still there

Down
The first midfield. Not sure what message it sends to the rest of the lockerroom when they continue to waste possessions. Cattoni, Baskin, Keogh-who drew an early penalty have earned the time.
Another turnover fest from cole, although he started to fill the net.
1/3 emo isn't going to do it. people other than marr need to step up and goes back to establishing 6v6 rhythm. 4 games, 4 scrimmages including fall ball and dozens of practices. shouldn't be hard.
Reinson-nice gb at end and nearly killed a man down but was beaten too many times.
shoddy production and scheme by espn with this plus garbage which I unsubscribed from. this stunt plus firing the barstool show which is now a more successful brand than any of their programs shows they've lost their ways. Carcs haircut thing is terrible too.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Too many unforced errors but, a great comeback in the 4th quarter. We're on to the Dome! :D
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

- Before anything else is mentioned the game's MVP was Daniel Jones—as good a game by a Hopkins shortie I've seen since I've been following the team. 6 caused turnovers for a Hopkins SSDM—or any SSDM for that matter—is almost unfathomable. They kept going at him and he stood his ground every time. I was annoyed the banana guys didn't throw him a banana after the game, he certainly deserved one. Foley, Hubler, Prouty, Narewski, Baskin were the fruit recipients I believe. All deserved but Jones should have gotten the first one.

- 12 goals allowed is far from ideal but to my eye the defense played a better game than that total might suggest. I'll have to watch the replay later this week and I'm sure I'll notice more breakdowns then but my first impression was they held up pretty well against what I think is an underrated offense. Admittedly Darby did bail them out a few times—the best game of the Texan's young career. Hopefully he builds some confidence from this.

- Foley won his matchup with Sowers, simple as that. They asked that he cover one of the top 3 players in the game and he got the job done. That's what you expect from an All-American defenseman. Sowers looked frustrated—he just couldn't get by him.

- Let Zinn play

- 6-3 fourth quarter. That's ballgame. Faceoff unit was good today. Narewski was limping around, last thing we need is for him to be at less than full strength but Prouty had a much-needed nice day in relief. I stand by my belief that Narewski is the real deal.

- 7 GBs for Colwell who has put in two nice games since the Loyola debacle. He's unexpectedly become an asset in transition.

- Epstein definitely had a rough start to this one, but he finished strong and that's nice to see from a freshman. Didn't let it get in his head. If 3 points, 3 GBs, and a yard sale on the ride is his version of a "bad game" then I'll take it.

-There has to be something wrong with the way Williams strings his stick, the ball just does not want to stay in there. But overall this was a better effort from him.

- Good to know Baskin can beat a shortie

- DeSimone...you there bud?

- Cattoni had another easy finish on a perfect skip pass feed from Epstein, but got stoned by the goalie. Thought their goalie made a few miraculous saves but that has to be canned. Cattoni has done that in every game so far. Should have 6 or 7 goals by now. Probably easier said than done but they've got to teach the young guys that they usually have more time on the crease than they think. Throw one more fake in there.

- Turning it over like that while a man-up is tough...#12 has to be better there

- The turnovers in general were pretty bad. We won't survive another game playing this sloppy. Faceoffs and caused turnovers of our own made up the difference but that won't always be the case.

- Hubler is turning into a nice player

- Petro did NOT have this team ready for when Princeton went to their ride...looked like chickens with their heads cut off trying to clear that first time. They made an adjustment but you've got to be prepared for that when they hit you with it.

- Refs seemed like they were just making it up as they went along...you just have no idea what they're going to call and what they aren't

- Princeton misses Currier and Sims

- We're onto Cuse
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the princeton twitter feed has about 8/9 of their goals in video form. 1 at the end of the first half probably was after the buzzer with connor caught on d+lost, 2 were in garbage time late and 2 were man up. 3 were guys-usually durbin beating reinson and the others were sowers related with him either beating foley or someone trying to help leaving their man open.

Having Kuhn and Hubler on the wings has stabilized things there. You're right on cattoni who like a lot of the freshmen to their credit have been ready to play/are growing each week.

the first midfield has 5 goals/5 assists/7 turnovers. narewski/prouty/hubler/kuhn has 5/5. Williams has 10 turnovers.

cuse blew another one today in the dome.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Finally saw the broadcast with my free seven day trial. Thanks Wombat.

What did Danny Jones have for breakfast? I want some of that. He came into the game with zero CTs in three games and walked out with six. Jones had 14 all last season which was a Hopkins record for an SSDM. Add his three GBs and that was an astonishing performance.

Matt Hubler was all over the field. Love the way he threaded that assist to Kuhn that made it 11-9. However, I did NOT like the way he shot in transition at 2:04 with 64 seconds left on the shot clock and Hopkins up 14-10. As a junior, Matt should have known that the play was to squeeze the clock down to 1:00. All he did was allow Princeton to show life with two late scores.

Evan Zinn can flat out fly. He catches your eye whenever he is in the game. Happy for him that he got his first career goal. Evan just needs more playing time and let the game come to him.

After watching Epstein at Landon for four years, I was convinced that his hand eye coordination is off the charts. He should have had two more assists if Marr and Cattoni had finished his beautiful feeds, but what really blew me away were his two near side goals that surprised Levine. Especially, the second goal that whizzed by Levine's air hold. I am in awe of such pinpoint shooting accuracy.

Speaking of accuracy, Baskin's 4th quarter goals were huge. Brett flashed moves, speed and accuracy that should net him more playing time.

Maybe the reason EMOs have been so anemic is due to the composition of the unit. DeSimone so far this season has displayed little scoring threat from a shooting or dodging standpoint. Shilling is a nifty passer, but again no scoring threat. I would replace them with Baskin and take your pick from Williams, Cattoni or Zinn.

The six on six offense looked most dynamic in the 4th quarter with Epstein, Williams, Marr, Baskin, Cattoni and Keogh.

Until the last 15 seconds, Foley and the D men held Sowers to 4 points and saddled him with four turnovers. Pretty impressive.

Also impressive were Colwell's vacuuming up seven GBs.

Glad to see Prouty get some runs at the X. People forget that he was a scoring machine from the X in HS. His goal that made it 9-8 was a key turning point in the game. Matt Narewski gave another strong performance, winning numerous FOs cleaniy, but needs to move the ball to his teammates quicker.

It is a very good sign for this Hopkins team that they have come from behind on the road twice, peaking in the 4th qtr. That shows the depth, talent and emotional resilience of this team.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:13 pmI was annoyed the banana guys didn't throw him a banana after the game, he certainly deserved one. Foley, Hubler, Prouty, Narewski, Baskin were the fruit recipients I believe. All deserved but Jones should have gotten the first one.
Five fruit available, so choices. Foley face guarding and shutting down Sowers (as much as one can) was defensive key -- left P with Durbin as "only" primary threat. Faceoffs were key, even though the post-draw help left much to be desired. Hubler's gbs and Baskin's goals came as momentum shifters. Consensus first five but, besides, Danny did what was one has come to expect. Ho Hum :mrgreen:
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:39 pm
Maybe the reason EMOs have been so anemic is due to the composition of the unit. DeSimone so far this season has displayed little scoring threat from a shooting or dodging standpoint. Shilling is a nifty passer, but again no scoring threat. I would replace them with Baskin and take your pick from Williams, Cattoni or Zinn.
Isn't Cattoni already playing on the extra man unit? You need at least one other lefty other than Marr out there. We had this debate last year about whether or not Williams should be there but now that his passing has improved and he's not solely a dodger I think his EMO case is better. I agree that Baskin has shown enough as an inside and mid-range finisher to warrant EMO consideration. 71% shooting so far this season after going 44% all of last year—when he does shoot it often goes in.
ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:46 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:13 pmI was annoyed the banana guys didn't throw him a banana after the game, he certainly deserved one. Foley, Hubler, Prouty, Narewski, Baskin were the fruit recipients I believe. All deserved but Jones should have gotten the first one.
Five fruit available, so choices. Foley face guarding and shutting down Sowers (as much as one can) was defensive key -- left P with Durbin as "only" primary threat. Faceoffs were key, even though the post-draw help left much to be desired. Hubler's gbs and Baskin's goals came as momentum shifters. Consensus first five but, besides, Danny did what was one has come to expect. Ho Hum :mrgreen:

Foley definitely deserved one, not arguing with those choices. But if you tie the school record for caused turnovers in a game, one would think you'd be rewarded with a sweet nutritious treat.
University West

Post by University West »

Danny. Jones. Kid was a monster today. I left before the bananas, but that's a crime.

I was happy with the defense, despite the score. Foley did a great job on Sowers. The two goals had nothing to do with Foley (garbage rebound and an EMO where Foley wasn't on the field. Great players are going to get some points, but Foley seemed to pretty much control the matchup. Both goalies had some huge saves.

Rough game for Joey, but he still got 3 points and created a ton of other chances for him and others.

Faceoff team did a great job

The only real problem today for me was turnovers. Throw out the UNC game because of conditions, but the other totals are all troubling. If we keep having that many turnovers, it's gonna be a problem when HOP doesn't dominate faceoffs. Maybe even if they do. Oh yeah, and backups on fast breaks.

This was also the second game in a row where there seemed to be an obvious need for a timeout near the end of the game to save a possession and it wasnt called. To be fair, Petro might have tried to call it today since he seemed pretty pissed at the ref (in addition to Hubler).

All in all, looked pretty good and beat a quality opponent. They seem to be trending in the right direction.
University West

Post by University West »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:39 pm

Also impressive were Colwell's vacuuming up seven GBs.
Degree of difficulty was pretty high on some of them too. Plus some great moves on solo clears.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Forgot to mention the Curt Schilling connection. Joey had his own bloody sock day. In fact, he had blood on his right sock too, which he probably got by using his right sock to wipe the blood off of his left shin.

If I were him, I’d frame those socks. He has two, and Curt only had one.
MusaCyanocitta

Post by MusaCyanocitta »

Foley definitely deserved one, not arguing with those choices. But if you tie the school record for caused turnovers in a game, one would think you'd be rewarded with a sweet nutritious treat.
Danny. Jones. Kid was a monster today. I left before the bananas, but that's a crime.
Yes, Danny deserved one.

And yes, everyone's a critic. :roll:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Is that you, Newton White?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Not much discussion of Darby - first +50 save percentage game and he had some big saves. His best game by far - though I still sometimes think he could have a few more saves when the shots are from long range.

Hard to argue with six caused turnovers though the only problem did rear its ugly head when the Princeton middie simply shouldered Jones to the ground and somehow missed a clean look from about 6 or 7 yards

Foley was great/the best game so far by the close D and the shortsticks - I thought the LSMs need to be better. There was a Princeton goal where Reinson was there but simply never touched the Princeton player and like the Carolina game Durbin I think was allowed to alley dodge unimpeded. This is an overall issue in my opinion - I thought the defense was very soft in the first quarter and was frankly concerned at 3-1 Tigers because of the ease at which they were getting good looks. I frankly thought Princeton passed up alot of opportunities in the middle of the field. And even though Kuhn finally scored - day to day I would rather see more ground balls than shots from our LSMs. If Kuhn had not potted one, it could have been a disastrous day as at least 2 and maybe all 3 prior shots were not backed up and became essentially turnovers.

Going mid/high 60 % in face-offs against a tandem that was 60% so far for the year was nice - and Prouty's goal was sorely needed. They'll need to play well next Saturday.

I was looking for highlights on you tube and came across ones from last year. Contrast DeSimone in that game to yesterday. In that game he did the Baskin invert and tied his defender in knots and scored. Then he blew past a man and rifled one in from the middle. Who knows but these reported 15 extra pounds appear to have slowed him down and this kid who looked really shifty with a great handle is not getting by anyone and there is no production. Maybe like the team he will improve with time and he won't hit the wall but Hopkins desperately needs him to get off the bus. Smith is not a midfielder and Concannon really isn't either but Alex's quickness can produce some moments.

UW West has it right - reduce the turnovers - that's the next key. Win your share of face-offs - (Cuse looks to be about a 50% squad - the only reason they are at 56 was a 17-4 decimation of Army at the face-off dot) - take care of the ball and you have a chance

EMO composition is a worthy discussion. There's good lacrosse IQ out there but not alot of outside firepower. If I were a defensive coordinator I would take Marr out of the equation. If Zinn has this outside cannon I have been hearing about - let's go. It looks like Hopkins either wants Marr to crank it from the outside or we want to force it to the middle to Smith. If I can see this - so can the opposing DCs. And this is not to mention the ridiculous issue Shilling had yesterday - though I didn't notice much help for the kid.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

University West wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:08 pmTo be fair, Petro might have tried to call it today since he seemed pretty ticked at the ref (in addition to Hubler).
A sign of the times: lack of good officials, so one sees a veteran paired with two others (e.g., Carolina where Hans was with two clowns). Case in point: Game was getting a bit too chippy; lots of little nasty stuff on both sides (although, given my bias, I put more of it on the Tigers :twisted: ). Hopkins ball carrier in corner below Princeton gle got hammered from behind directly in front of lead ref. No call from the lead, but the trail, who was way way back in front of the Hopkins bench (one wonders why he was so far back there), threw his flag. The trail then went to the lead for a longish discussion which one can imagine went this way, "I should not have had to throw the flag. You've got to call those. This game will get completely out of hand if you don't."
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Maybe they thought giving a banana to a black man would be an insult.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

University West wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:08 pm I was happy with the defense, despite the score. Foley did a great job on Sowers. The two goals had nothing to do with Foley (garbage rebound and an EMO where Foley wasn't on the field. Great players are going to get some points, but Foley seemed to pretty much control the matchup.
not for nothing, but on those 2 goals...
foley was standing right next to sowers, had no slide responsibility, and didn't react to the rebound as he should've and sowers did.
the emo goal, he was off and they were in emo because it was his penalty.
he had everything to do with both goals.
any event, he did a v good job on a quick and very dangerous player. and hopkins was willing to let him go at it with him pretty often until sowers could prove that was a bad strategy. as you say, a guy like that is going to get his points. limiting major damage is the key.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Emj1-Lc9Q

If this is the best player in the country not named Spencer or maybe Teat - and well deserved - Foley did pretty well - he guessed right some times on some of Sowers spins but Sowers took how many runs at Foley and never beat him once to score. I re watched the rebound goal - hard to fault Foley there - ball went fortuitously to Sowers side - smaller kid shorter stick in tight quarters - hey great players make great plays.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Drcthru wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:05 pm
Maybe they thought giving a banana to a black man would be an insult.
Just wait - someone, someday, will make a huge issue out of wearing eyeblack. Look at Cole Williams - he’s got his whole cheeks painted almost down to the bottom of his jaw.

Eyeblack started out as a way to cut glare off of your upper cheek bones at the eye socket.

Now it’s being used as a cosmetic for what? War paint?

It’s stupid.

Photos will wind up in electronic yearbooks, and none of them will be able to run for governor someday.

Just wait.

I personally think it’s a petty issue, but I fully expect it to blow up to be a national issue soon.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”