COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
a fan

Re: COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by a fan »

ggait wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:32 am
Should be a lot of fun to see how this goes.
I wonder if this Gait guy has any recruiting connections in Canada?

Likely not.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:09 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:55 pm Did you even bother to check what Hop’s defensive stats were in 2020 with much of the same personnel? “X’s and O’s had nothing to do with it” is an absolutely PREPOSTEROUS statement lol.
If the problem was x's and o's and not personnel.....they should have glided into the top 20 D in the nation, with room to spare.
For the love of god, both things can be problems. You said X’s and O’s had “nothing” to do with it. That is what I’m taking issue with.

More than a goal was shaved off the per-game average (despite winning fewer faceoffs) while defensive efficiency improved from 34% to 30% (lower is better). No one said they turned it into an elite unit overnight or that every issue is suddenly fixed because the coach is different—again, you’re arguing against a point of view that doesn’t exist, even in DocB’s land of perpetual sunshine and rainbows.

It is possible to acknowledge the ceiling of the defensive unit is likely capped by the talent level on the field while also using your eyes—and looking at the stats—to deduce there was, in year one of the new regime, real improvement. And that that alone could suggest the previous staff was failing to maximize what they had. Nobody was expecting a top 20 defense this year or last. One that knew how to slide and recover was a good start. We got that this year. The same players last year had no idea what they were doing. Something was deeply wrong and we know now it wasn’t just that these kids were incapable of running a defense.

I do not share Doc’s unyielding optimism but he does raise a valid point re: play toward the end of the year. The Hopkins defense of the last couple of games was utterly unrecognizable from the one that was routinely embarrassed last season. Basically the same group of players, but a few were put in different spots. And others had clearly been developed.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

ggait wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:32 am Should be a lot of fun to see how this goes.
On that point I absolutely agree!
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Laxbuck wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:15 am Does Syracuse provide tuition for sons/daughters of their faculty?
I was asking this same question. If Petro does join the staff and Joe Spallina succeeds Gait as the women’s coach, you could potentially get three impact players on the roster counting as zero scholarship money against your 12.6. That would seem to be a pretty nice advantage, plus Dom and Joey at attack for years. That’d be a very creative attack unit.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Henpecked wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:41 am
Laxbuck wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:15 am Does Syracuse provide tuition for sons/daughters of their faculty?
I was asking this same question. If Petro does join the staff and Joe Spallina succeeds Gait as the women’s coach, you could potentially get three impact players on the roster counting as zero scholarship money against your 12.6. That would seem to be a pretty nice advantage, plus Dom and Joey at attack for years. That’d be a very creative attack unit.
I know a few years ago it was a semi big deal at Nebraska where the coach had three sons on scholarship for football so I would assume yes they do pay/count against the 12.6.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

Football scholarships are different than non-revenue sports. if Cuse offers free tuition to coaches then they will not count towards their limit of scholarships. They are put on a different GL. Lax getting more and more like BBall every day and not in a good way. Club lax is almost as bad as AAU
laxrat1976

Post by laxrat1976 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:40 pm
laxrat1976 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:55 pm
laxrat1976 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:26 am A Gait on the sideline for 'Cuse would be interesting. Would be even more interesting if it wasn't Paul...
Calling it back on May 27th
Please ... folks have been speculating for decades about Gait coaching Syracuse.

I’ve done so in years past, and did so again just this last May 17.

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... &start=600

It’s just hard to believe it’s actually happening this time around.

DocBarrister :? :o
Well everyone was thinking Paul this time not Gary.

It's not that hard this time around, if you look at it from multiple view points.

1. He's wanted the job
2. Syracuse has been in a financial crunch big time and his salary was way out of line with most other womens coaches. This move will save the athletic department money
3. It's low risk for the AD. Bringing in one of the many young people who are big names but have no head coaching experience is a big risk to take.
laxrat1976

Post by laxrat1976 »

getitdone wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:30 am Football scholarships are different than non-revenue sports. if Cuse offers free tuition to coaches then they will not count towards their limit of scholarships. They are put on a different GL. Lax getting more and more like BBall every day and not in a good way. Club lax is almost as bad as AAU
3 year waiting period for employees to get the tuition benefit at Cuse. I imagine that the NCAA wouldn't look favorably on it if that was magically waived for him.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

laxrat1976 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:43 am
getitdone wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:30 am Football scholarships are different than non-revenue sports. if Cuse offers free tuition to coaches then they will not count towards their limit of scholarships. They are put on a different GL. Lax getting more and more like BBall every day and not in a good way. Club lax is almost as bad as AAU
3 year waiting period for employees to get the tuition benefit at Cuse. I imagine that the NCAA wouldn't look favorably on it if that was magically waived for him.
Petro's kids are only Jr's. Would give them their final 2 years free even with the 3yr period
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:35 am It’s official.

https://cuse.com/news/2021/6/7/mens-lac ... ement.aspx

Class guy.
I like this piece best,
those teams were so different from all others,
Desko was right there transforming lacrosse with
Simmons Jr.

“ He began his coaching career as an assistant to
Roy Simmons Jr. immediately following his playing
career. He then spent 19 seasons as an assistant
to Simmons Jr., helping build the Orange into a
perennial power “
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Class guy.
syracuse is supposed to be world renown for communications and public service and the scanlan issue (in multiple instances), desko retirement and presumptive gait hiring have all been haphazard. It's also another L for the professional lacrosse media which despite an abundance of sources and connections and alumni of that program was beaten on all 3 stories by fan lax commenters. Now come questions of roster turnover, changes in recruiting commitments, and potential transfers.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Looked it up in the NCAA bylaws. I now know more than I ever wanted to know about scholarship limitations.

Football is a "Head-count" sport where the number of students on a scholarship have a limit no matter the % of each scholarship (not to exceed 100%). Lacrosse is an equivalency sport where there cannot be more than 12.6 scholarships awarded but no limit (head count) to the number receiving partial scholarships. That all being said, according to NCAA bylaws 15.02.5.2 if the school has an employee dependent assistance program, which is not based on athletic ability (i.e. it is based on family dependency) and the employee has been full time employed for a minimum of 5 years, then the "scholarship" does not count against either the head count or equivalency numbers. So I read this as yes a coach with less than 5 years service at a school would have his dependent's scholarships count against both a head count and an equivalency sport.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:52 am

Class guy.
syracuse is supposed to be world renown for communications and public service and the scanlan issue (in multiple instances), desko retirement and presumptive gait hiring have all been haphazard. It's also another L for the professional lacrosse media which despite an abundance of sources and connections and alumni of that program was beaten on all 3 stories by fan lax commenters. Now come questions of roster turnover, changes in recruiting commitments, and potential transfers.
They leaked the Gait deal accidentally / on purpose
and they can just blame IL now for the real/fake FUBAR.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:56 am
Looked it up in the NCAA bylaws. I now know more than I ever wanted to know about scholarship limitations.

Football is a "Head-count" sport where the number of students on a scholarship have a limit no matter the % of each scholarship (not to exceed 100%). Lacrosse is an equivalency sport where there cannot be more than 12.6 scholarships awarded but no limit (head count) to the number receiving partial scholarships. That all being said, according to NCAA bylaws 15.02.5.2 if the school has an employee dependent assistance program, which is not based on athletic ability (i.e. it is based on family dependency) and the employee has been full time employed for a minimum of 5 years, then the "scholarship" does not count against either the head count or equivalency numbers. So I read this as yes a coach with less than 5 years service at a school would have his dependent's scholarships count against both a head count and an equivalency sport.
The Petro kids would get a break though with the presumed
hire of Petro Sr, on overall tuition costs, so there would
presumably be a benefit for bringing the kids on over,

over and above the kids counting against the
lacrosse scholarship counts.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:57 am

Class guy.
Duke did a nice job last week w/a similar situation. Announcement, retirement, handover w/all the pageantry that an HOF deserves.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:10 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:57 am

Class guy.
Duke did a nice job last week w/a similar situation. Announcement, retirement, handover w/all the pageantry that an HOF deserves.
Yeah, they did do a crap job for someone who’s
given 45 years of his life.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Class guy.
Agree on the first point re: communication but on the second, is anyone of note really going to transfer or decommit out of Syracuse because they ousted Desko? With all due respect to the guy I can't imagine there's going to be an exodus of talent.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:29 pm

Class guy.
Agree on the first point re: communication but on the second, is anyone of note really going to transfer or decommit out of Syracuse because they ousted Desko? With all due respect to the guy I can't imagine there's going to be an exodus of talent.
Didn't Hopkins lose a decent amount of recruits in the 2021 class after Petro left? That was after a year that looked to be going in an even more embarrassing direction than Cuse this past year. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) didn't Cole Williams announce he was in the transfer portal the day the news broke and had to be convinced to come back by the new staff? Obviously loads of factors at play as to why someone would decommit or transfer but it would not be totally out of left field for some guys make changes after the head coach who recruited them leaves. It's a reasonable concern.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Antonio114 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:42 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:29 pm

Class guy.
Didn't Hopkins lose a decent amount of recruits in the 2021 class after Petro left? That was after a year that looked to be going in an even more embarrassing direction than Cuse this past year. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) didn't Cole Williams announce he was in the transfer portal the day the news broke and had to be convinced to come back by the new staff? Obviously loads of factors at play as to why someone would decommit or transfer but it would not be totally out of left field for some guys make changes after the head coach who recruited them leaves. It's a reasonable concern.
Yes, that all happened, but I don't think it's going to happen with Desko. But I guess we'll find out soon.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”