COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

nyjay wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:43 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:15 pm
nyjay wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:43 pm IL just tweeted it. Gait to be SU coach. It’s real. Someone has good sources around here.
I saw it on a text chain earlier this week. Shrugged it off.
Gait isn’t that surprising. But the Petro and Spallina pieces seem real too. Amazing.
That’s what I was waiting to see.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Agree with HF16 that a change had to be made. And when you consider the way they operate with keeping things within the Syracuse bubble and only hiring Syracuse people; Gait makes a lot of sense. It was too soon for Galloway and there was no one else out there among Syracuse alums.

Not sure about the move with Petro. Obviously gets you some experience on how to run a Men's D1 program but his defenses weren't good at the end with Hopkins and he himself said he should have hired a defensive coordinator.

Bold move, will definitely be fascinating to see how it plays out
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

laxrat1976 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:55 pm
laxrat1976 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:26 am A Gait on the sideline for 'Cuse would be interesting. Would be even more interesting if it wasn't Paul...
Calling it back on May 27th
Please ... folks have been speculating for decades about Gait coaching Syracuse.

I’ve done so in years past, and did so again just this last May 17.

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... &start=600

It’s just hard to believe it’s actually happening this time around.

DocBarrister :? :o
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:31 pm Agree with HF16 that a change had to be made. And when you consider the way they operate with keeping things within the Syracuse bubble and only hiring Syracuse people; Gait makes a lot of sense. It was too soon for Galloway and there was no one else out there among Syracuse alums.

Not sure about the move with Petro. Obviously gets you some experience on how to run a Men's D1 program but his defenses weren't good at the end with Hopkins and he himself said he should have hired a defensive coordinator.

Bold move, will definitely be fascinating to see how it plays out
If Coach Pietramala does become the new defensive coordinator, I think we will see a very different defense from him. Petro must have watched Hopkins in the B1G tournament and the aggressive defense just about every team played in the Final Four. He had to see his approach to defense is badly out of date.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:45 pm He had to see his approach to defense is badly out of date.
:lol:
He stuck with that approach right through getting fired. You only hire the guy if that's the approach you want.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

OCanada was plugged right in.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I thought Cuse was right to move on from Desko but I feel bad for the guy at this point. You're supposed to let him "retire" before the news of his replacement leaks. Strange way to treat someone who's been with the university for nearly half a century. But not really a surprise given how the school handled PR around the Scanlan debacle. Not the best couple of months for the communications department at a school where that's supposed to be an area of strength.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:02 pm OCanada was plugged right in.

Yup. O’Canada had the goods.

The Spallina hire is likely to be the best outcome here. Dude is a god. Good for Cuse women.

Not sure the Petro hire helps the men though.
viho

Post by viho »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:13 pm

The Spallina hire is likely to be the best outcome here. Dude is a god. Good for Cuse women.

I would call Beardsley before Petro.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:11 pm I thought Cuse was right to move on from Desko but I feel bad for the guy at this point. You're supposed to let him "retire" before the news of his replacement leaks. Strange way to treat someone who's been with the university for nearly half a century. But not really a surprise given how the school handled PR around the Scanlan debacle. Not the best couple of months for the communications department at a school where that's supposed to be an area of strength.
Especially when you consider that this clearly had to be in the works for enough time that a retirement announcement could have happened. I mean they're already reporting that Treanor turned down the women's team job. This didn't just happen now
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

viho wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:16 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:13 pm

I would call Beardsley before Petro.
Not if Petro brings his boys with him. :D
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Adding to the shocking news; several reports have claimed that Dave Pietramala, the former legendary Johns Hopkins coach and player, is in line to join Gait’s staff as the defensive coordinator. Pietramala left Hopkins last year after 20 years as the program’s head coach and 24 in total as part of the Hopkins program, all of which saw him face the Orange as either a player or coach.

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2021/6/6/ ... ing-change

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:45 pm If Coach Pietramala does become the new defensive coordinator, I think we will see a very different defense from him. Petro must have watched Hopkins in the B1G tournament and the aggressive defense just about every team played in the Final Four. He had to see his approach to defense is badly out of date.
Right. Because coaching defense in the shot clock era is too complicated for the former Hopkins head coach to figure out. Remember Conry? Hot Shot D coordinator, right? How's that working out in terms of making Final Fours? Oh, right. He's not getting the best players.....so he's not coming anywhere close to the NCAA tournament, let alone Final Fours. He must have missed the memo on how to coach Defense, or something.

Hopkins had bad defensive players. Period. X's and O's had nothing to do with it. Or did you not notice that Milliman's defense tied for #43?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:46 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:45 pm If Coach Pietramala does become the new defensive coordinator, I think we will see a very different defense from him. Petro must have watched Hopkins in the B1G tournament and the aggressive defense just about every team played in the Final Four. He had to see his approach to defense is badly out of date.
Right. Because coaching defense in the shot clock era is too complicated for the former Hopkins head coach to figure out. Remember Conry? Hot Shot D coordinator, right? How's that working out in terms of making Final Fours? Oh, right. He's not getting the best players.....so he's not coming anywhere close to the NCAA tournament, let alone Final Fours. He must have missed the memo on how to coach Defense, or something.

Hopkins had bad defensive players. Period. X's and O's had nothing to do with it. Or did you not notice that Milliman's defense tied for #43?
Did you even bother to check what Hop’s defensive stats were in 2020 with much of the same personnel? “X’s and O’s had nothing to do with it” is an absolutely PREPOSTEROUS statement lol.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:46 pm

Sorry a fan ... that is simply a wrong statement.

Coach Milliman and Coach Koesterer inherited a defense that was a complete mess. They slowly improved the defense over the course of the season. First, they made good progress on slides against the dodge. Then they markedly improved the off-ball defense. By the B1G tournament, the Blue Jays had a solid defense that managed to contain the potent offenses of Rutgers and Maryland.

Turns out Hopkins had some good defensive talent. Their current coaches made good use of that talent, managing to shape them into a cohesive defensive unit.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:55 pm Did you even bother to check what Hop’s defensive stats were in 2020 with much of the same personnel? “X’s and O’s had nothing to do with it” is an absolutely PREPOSTEROUS statement lol.
So the idea here is that Milliman moved the quality of the defense all the way up to #43 in D1? If the problem was x's and o's and not personnel.....they should have glided into the top 20 D in the nation, with room to spare.

I can see---clear as day---that Desko has been getting killed the recruiting trail for years now.

I have no idea why it's so hard for Hop fans to see it. I honestly thought this would be the season where you'd all FINALLY see the talent gap.....new coach, 4-9 result. And yet here you are, acting like I'm nuts for suggesting---for the n'th year in a row----that the talent isn't there, relative to other teams.

This is a simple, simple sport. What happened when Ament left? Are you telling me that Tambroni "forgot" his x's and o's? Or is losing the best pure feeder the game has seen in quite some time make his team....just average?
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Does Syracuse provide tuition for sons/daughters of their faculty?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:09 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:55 pm Did you even bother to check what Hop’s defensive stats were in 2020 with much of the same personnel? “X’s and O’s had nothing to do with it” is an absolutely PREPOSTEROUS statement lol.
So the idea here is that Milliman moved the quality of the defense all the way up to #43 in D1? If the problem was x's and o's and not personnel.....they should have glided into the top 20 D in the nation, with room to spare.

I can see---clear as day---that Desko has been getting killed the recruiting trail for years now.

I have no idea why it's so hard for Hop fans to see it. I honestly thought this would be the season where you'd all FINALLY see the talent gap.....new coach, 4-9 result. And yet here you are, acting like I'm nuts for suggesting---for the n'th year in a row----that the talent isn't there, relative to other teams.

This is a simple, simple sport. What happened when Ament left? Are you telling me that Tambroni "forgot" his x's and o's? Or is losing the best pure feeder the game has seen in quite some time make his team....just average?
You’re simply wrong. You are not accounting for the marked improvement in the Blue Jays’ play over the course of the season.

You are also not adequately accounting for the extremely challenging schedule that the Blue Jays played. Three of the 9 losses came against the national championship runners-up and two more losses came against a Rutgers team that took North Carolina to OT.

Blue Jays have some of the best young talent in the nation. Talent-wise, they are probably in the top ten. They probably have a top-ten coaching staff as well. The coaches did a great job getting them to play like a top ten team by the B1G tournament.

No one can look at the Blue Jays’ roster and late season play and say the team lacks talent.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
ggait

Post by ggait »

Sorry dude, but you've been out of the game at any level for a decade, and out of the college game for three decades.
Sorry dude, but I'm back. In a big way. [More correctly, I never left.]

Go ask you 15 year old son who Sharon Stone is. Clueless. Then ask him (if he's a laxer) if he knows who I am. You bet he does.

He knows about Air Gait. He knows they had to change the rules because of me. He knows about #22. And he knows whose name is written on his shoulder pads and gloves.

Should be a lot of fun to see how this goes.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:16 am No one can look at the Blue Jays’ roster and late season play and say the team lacks talent.
Relative to other D1 teams?

4-9. Scoreboard.

Let's move on....

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”