COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxrat1976

Re: COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by laxrat1976 »

A Gait on the sideline for 'Cuse would be interesting. Would be even more interesting if it wasn't Paul...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:24 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:14 am I'm posting this here. But it's from todays baltimore sun piece on Petro working for espn this weekend. I'm not really sure what schools will be an option next week.

“I’m poking my nose around,” he said. “A lot of this is dependent on if people have interest in you. I’m aware there are a lot of good coaches out there, and the season hasn’t come to an end yet. So we’ll see what happens and what transpires in the next two weeks or so.”

But if his weekend appearances with ESPN are deemed a success, could Pietramala follow predecessors like Army West Point’s Jack Emmer, Denver’s Jamie Munro and UMBC’s Don Zimmerman into a career in TV?

“You’re kind to think I could even hit it off,” Pietramala said. “But I would much rather be on the sideline, and I’d much rather be talking to reporters than being one. And that is in no way, shape or form meant as a negative to the media. But there’s no place I’d rather be than on a sideline.”
TV punditry is not what he wants.

Besides, it’s a part-time gig and the money is probably fairly marginal at best.

Pietramala wants his own team again and he wants to coach. God Bless him. He has won two national championships (a third as a player); been Player of the Year, Defenseman of the Year, and Coach of the Year; is the winningest coach at the winningest lacrosse program in history; and has expressed a willingness to change—that last one arguably being the most important right now.

If a guy like that can’t get a coaching job in Division I lacrosse, then there is something seriously wrong with the sport.

DocBarrister :?
I don't think it would mean there's anything wrong with the sport. The opportunities are extremely limited. 70 or so D1 teams. Only a small percentage of them will have openings. And only a percentage of that percentage would be the right fit for Petro. That program would also have to be able to afford him. His price tag is higher than that of a younger head coach with less experience. I'm not saying he won't coach again but when you break it down there are really only a handful of jobs that make sense for him and right now none of them are available. In a few weeks, maybe one opens up. But it's slim pickings, especially for someone, as he's said on numerous occasions, who only wants a job at a certain type of school.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:28 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:14 am I'm posting this here. But it's from todays baltimore sun piece on Petro working for espn this weekend. I'm not really sure what schools will be an option next week.

“I’m poking my nose around,” he said. “A lot of this is dependent on if people have interest in you. I’m aware there are a lot of good coaches out there, and the season hasn’t come to an end yet. So we’ll see what happens and what transpires in the next two weeks or so.”

But if his weekend appearances with ESPN are deemed a success, could Pietramala follow predecessors like Army West Point’s Jack Emmer, Denver’s Jamie Munro and UMBC’s Don Zimmerman into a career in TV?

“You’re kind to think I could even hit it off,” Pietramala said. “But I would much rather be on the sideline, and I’d much rather be talking to reporters than being one. And that is in no way, shape or form meant as a negative to the media. But there’s no place I’d rather be than on a sideline.”

Besides, it’s a part-time gig and the money is probably fairly marginal at best.

Pietramala wants his own team again and he wants to coach. God Bless him. He has won two national championships (a third as a player); been Player of the Year, Defenseman of the Year, and Coach of the Year; is the winningest coach at the winningest lacrosse program in history; and has expressed a willingness to change—that last one arguably being the most important right now.

If a guy like that can’t get a coaching job in Division I lacrosse, then there is something seriously wrong with the sport.

I don't think it would mean there's anything wrong with the sport. The opportunities are extremely limited. 70 or so D1 teams. Only a small percentage of them will have openings. And only a percentage of that percentage would be the right fit for Petro. That program would also have to be able to afford him. His price tag is higher than that of a younger head coach with less experience. I'm not saying he won't coach again but when you break it down there are really only a handful of jobs that make sense for him and right now none of them are available. In a few weeks, maybe one opens up. But it's slim pickings, especially for someone, as he's said on numerous occasions, who only wants a job at a certain type of school.
I hear ya ... but the man has two boys heading to college soon. Even with partial scholarship money, college isn’t going to be cheap. Plus, I’m sure he has other financial obligations.

Wherever he goes, the money probably won’t approach what he was getting at Hopkins. I’m sure he understands that. There aren’t many openings, but there aren’t any candidates like him either.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I would bet college is free for one of his boys
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:55 pm I would bet college is free for one of his boys
Atleast one lol. Petro has also earned a fortune from his coaching days. Will be interesting to see if Petro lands somewhere
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It won’t be free unless UNC offers him a full ride which I doubt will happen
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

OCanada wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:41 pm It won’t be free unless UNC offers him a full ride which I doubt will happen
A full ride for Dom? Umm I would think that’s already been offered
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:58 pm
OCanada wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:41 pm It won’t be free unless UNC offers him a full ride which I doubt will happen
A full ride for Dom? Umm I would think that’s already been offered
Yes, past tense, however:
IF offered...very few actual full rides...but presumably if any from UNC for that class, he'd be in the running...but they have a lot of mouths to feed on 12.6 total team.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

12.6 versus the other “money” found elsewhere for lacrosse players
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Urban myths are strong. Dom was originally going to Hopkins. There are very few full rides in lax.

There are very few above alloted to minor sports in general. Cuse has a special program for Indians. Hopkins has had the occasional player qualify for a special established scholarship. But very few. QK was the first full ride at Hopkins as I recall. 12.6 per D-1 program and not all schools fully fund their programs. As a practical matter Dom was not on UNC’s radar or possibly in their budget until very late. UNC was the logical landing place.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

OCanada wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:09 pm Urban myths are strong. Dom was originally going to Hopkins. There are very few full rides in lax.

There are very few above alloted to minor sports in general. Cuse has a special program for Indians. Hopkins has had the occasional player qualify for a special established scholarship. But very few. QK was the first full ride at Hopkins as I recall. 12.6 per D-1 program and not all schools fully fund their programs. As a practical matter Dom was not on UNC’s radar or possibly in their budget until very late. UNC was the logical landing place.
In my experience there are more full rides than you think. Comes out to about 3 scholarships per class. At a place like UNC they can fill in really solid classes easily while using 1 scholarship on 1 kid.
lilax

Post by lilax »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:21 pm
OCanada wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:09 pm Urban myths are strong. Dom was originally going to Hopkins. There are very few full rides in lax.

In my experience there are more full rides than you think. Comes out to about 3 scholarships per class. At a place like UNC they can fill in really solid classes easily while using 1 scholarship on 1 kid.
The other thing is athletic money is stackable with academic money.

Therefore if a player qualifies for a lot of academic money, an athletic team can sprinkle a portion of athletic aid on top of that.

I would guess that many of the "Full Rides" in lacrosse are a combination of athletic and academic scholarship.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

We have discussed this ad nauseam over the years. Full scholarships only exist at cocktail parties where parents are bragging to other parents.

Full rides are typically a result of stacked money (academic scholarship given at time of admission + lax scholarship portion awarded by coach).

12.6 scholarships. 45 guys on a roster. Do the math. Full scholarships are fiscally irresponsible.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 pm We have discussed this ad nauseam over the years. Full scholarships only exist at cocktail parties where parents are bragging to other parents.

Full rides are typically a result of stacked money (academic scholarship given at time of admission + lax scholarship portion awarded by coach).

12.6 scholarships. 45 guys on a roster. Do the math. Full scholarships are fiscally irresponsible.
not true.
academic money can only be coincided with like academic awards to the rest of the school. or they're included as athltetic schollys.
at a place like north carolina out-of-state, even if they give out-of-state academic $$, which i doubt, that's unlikely.
there are places (top places) that full rides happen. i'm not sure if unc is one any longer.
ggait

Post by ggait »

not true.
academic money can only be coincided with like academic awards to the rest of the school.
The other thing is athletic money is stackable with academic money.

Therefore if a player qualifies for a lot of academic money, an athletic team can sprinkle a portion of athletic aid on top of that.
True. But that ain't happening at UNC. Because to get the academic merit money, the lax player has to earn it on an even stephen basis with all other students.

Unless the young Petro is a future Rhodes Scholarship contender, he ain't getting a Morehead-Cain scholarship from UNC as an OOS-er. Just like no UVA laxers have ever gotten a Jefferson Scholarship (modeled after and similar to the M-C).

Now if the young Petro was going to someplace like DU, then maybe he could get some merit money stacked onto his lax schollie. Since privates like DU give merit money to 25-50% of all students.

The deal at UNC is that its OOS sticker price is a lot less than the OOS sticker at high end publics like UVA and UMich. Shave that a bit with a partial lax schollie and you get a nice value. But still far far from a full ride.

The best deal in D1 mlax (but only if you can get in and only if your family qualifies) is to get the fat need based financial aid from HYP.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 pm We have discussed this ad nauseam over the years. Full scholarships only exist at cocktail parties where parents are bragging to other parents.

So all the above,

and the conclusion is the same as xx number of years
ago at LP,

no such thing as a full ride lacrosse scholarship.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Yup.

Dom Starsia said he gave out exactly one full ride schollie in all his years at uva.

IIRC, that was to John Christmas.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

I still see him as a great fit at Michigan.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

We can agree to disagree on this. 1.0’s do exist in college lacrosse with only athletic money. Just as good players go to school paying full boat’s bc a lot families can afford it. It’s a balancing act college coaches have to play, which I know to be true.

There are not many, and I know they exist much more at cocktails parties, I get that.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:36 pm

not true.
academic money can only be coincided with like academic awards to the rest of the school. or they're included as athltetic schollys.
at a place like north carolina out-of-state, even if they give out-of-state academic $$, which i doubt, that's unlikely.
there are places (top places) that full rides happen. i'm not sure if unc is one any longer.

Not true. Money is stackable and academic money does not count toward 12.6 limit IF the student athlete is exempt based on three prong test : 1200 sat (old two part test) 3.5 gpa, or top 10% of class coming out of high school. If they don’t have one of those, then yes academic money counts. If they do, they are exempt and the academic money doesn’t count toward 12.6 limit

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”