Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by jhu72 »

dislaxxic wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:44 pm Matt Taibbi on Why Policing Is Broken

"I met a lot of police officers researching this issue. Plenty of jerks, but many went into the job for good reasons. They had seen police shows like Law & Order and Columbo and movies like Serpico growing up, and dreamed of being heroes who caught killers, rescued the injured, protected women and children. Others, like Pedro Serrano, were themselves victims of racist profiling while growing up, and joined the force to help change it. Many say they want to do a very difficult job the right way, and would welcome reform, but find themselves stymied by bureaucratic imperatives they say cast police in the roles of harassers and occupiers, working alongside known problem officers the system refuses to discipline.

A reimagined police force that allowed officers to focus on serious crime would allow better officers to rise through the ranks and teach a new generation how to do the job in a smarter, more humane way. The current strategy turns policing into a physically intrusive, military-style endeavor, with artificially high numbers of tense confrontations. Ending those strategies could have dramatic positive consequences.

Even in the poorest neighborhoods, residents have conflicting views about police. There is deep anger, but also a desire for the same level of protection people in wealthier neighborhoods take for granted. Polls sometimes show a desire for more police, not fewer: That may not be the case with the defund movement, but improvements would surely be welcomed in any case. Changing the hearts of bad officers is a project for the ages. Changing the job is something that can be done for people now."

… don't always agree with Taibbi, but he got this one right. The militarization of the average COP is a big problem.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 am
ggait wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:01 pm
W&L must change its name because Lee was a Confederate 160 years ago, Washington was a slave owner 240 years ago; but the same state where W&L resides has a governor who wore blackface and a KKK hood only 30 years ago. The most recent racist is safe though....almost like this isn't about racism.
As is always the case, Peter Brown doesn't know shirt about fork. He's certainly ignorant of history.

Lee took over the presidency of W&L later on in 1865. He served that institution very well and honorably. He also worked to stitch his country back together. Upon accepting the W&L job, he told the Trustees:

"it is the duty of every citizen, in the present condition of the Country, to do all in his power to aid in the restoration of peace and harmony."

He wasn't a Lost Cause-er. He didn't waste his time flying the Confederate Battle Flag like an ignorant redneck. He spent his time on more important things.

Far be it for me (as a Wahoo) to tell W&L what to do. But there's a fine argument to leave the W&L name as it is.

But not for any of the reasons that a gross brainless loser like Peter Brown thinks.

https://www.virginiahistory.org/collect ... -after-war
http://cwmemory.com/2017/05/30/w-e-b-du ... ert-e-lee/

W.E.B. Dubois' take on Robert E Lee and other Confederates in 1928 is illuminating.
… Dubois got it in the first quarter of the 20th century. It took most white historians another 40 years. Probably because so many of them, who studied the civil war period, were southerners.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Fascinating Piece, if you have 2 hours, or even just the first 22 minutes.
Black Intellectual Roundtable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHGt733yw3g

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No calls for tearing down statues
No BLM
No name calling
No statistic quoting just to support a narrow view of race

Great example of how discussion and debate should be held.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Carroll81 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:35 pm Fascinating Piece, if you have 2 hours, or even just the first 22 minutes.

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

Excellent debate. Bret is genius...he happens to also be liberal, but he's not a leftist.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Carroll81 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:35 pm Fascinating Piece, if you have 2 hours, or even just the first 22 minutes.

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

Thanks for this; never would have encountered this without your post.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:13 pm

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

Thanks for this; never would have encountered this without your post.
I have watched a few McWorter discussions. It’s not an easy topic with easy solutions and it won’t be solved overnight.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

- I watched the first 22 minutes and found it fascinating. Given who these individuals are, black intellectuals, I was not even a little surprised that there was no discussion of any of the bullets you noted. A few observations; 1) the two oldest individuals were most apologetic for what they perceive as "bad behavior" by the young black protestors (liberals) and were not very upbeat about the situation. Were clearly troubled by it. 2) all of the others did not seem really concerned about it, while acknowledging there was some problematic behavior. They were far more upbeat indicating that there was opportunity in the situation we find ourselves in. 3) This is not surprising really. The older black intellectuals (both university academics) are today pretty far removed from the worst manifestations of individual racist interactions and the systematic racism of society. They have not escaped it, but have lived through far worse. The seemed almost personally embarrassed. 4) I thought the fellow batting cleanup, "knocked it out of the park".
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:05 pm

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

- I watched the first 22 minutes and found it fascinating. Given who these individuals are, black intellectuals, I was not even a little surprised that there was no discussion of any of the bullets you noted. A few observations; 1) the two oldest individuals were most apologetic for what they perceive as "bad behavior" by the young black protestors and were not very upbeat about the situation. Were clearly troubled by it. 2) all of the others did not seem really concerned about it, while acknowledging there was some problematic behavior. They were far more upbeat indicating that there was opportunity in the situation we find ourselves in. 3) This is not surprising really. The older black intellectuals (both university academics) are today pretty far removed from the worst manifestations of individual racist interactions and the systematic racism of society. They have not escaped it, but have lived through far worse. 4) I thought the fellow batting cleanup, "knocked it out of the park".
I don’t know may people that want to return to life pre civil rights movement.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:18 pm

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

- I watched the first 22 minutes and found it fascinating. Given who these individuals are, black intellectuals, I was not even a little surprised that there was no discussion of any of the bullets you noted. A few observations; 1) the two oldest individuals were most apologetic for what they perceive as "bad behavior" by the young black protestors and were not very upbeat about the situation. Were clearly troubled by it. 2) all of the others did not seem really concerned about it, while acknowledging there was some problematic behavior. They were far more upbeat indicating that there was opportunity in the situation we find ourselves in. 3) This is not surprising really. The older black intellectuals (both university academics) are today pretty far removed from the worst manifestations of individual racist interactions and the systematic racism of society. They have not escaped it, but have lived through far worse. 4) I thought the fellow batting cleanup, "knocked it out of the park".

I would be surprised if you knew any.
a fan

Post by a fan »

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

Yes. But I think we all understand the problem here, yes?

Our legislators aren't listening to these thinkers. They ignore them when they discuss these problems.

So these problems fester, and more radical voices grab the microphone. BLM should never have materialized. We should have tackled these policing issues years ago.

Lesson: listen to the peaceful moderates when they talk, and legislate accordingly before people want to burn it all down out of frustration.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:23 pm

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

Just a couple guys here.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

French investigators have determined that there was no arson in the tragic Nantes Cathedral fire. Once again a fail for Peanut Butters and his fantasy of liberals worldwide burning down churches in some massive conspiracy. :lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:32 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:23 pm

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

Just a couple guys here.
Ah, yes.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:24 pm

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

Our legislators aren't listening to these thinkers. They ignore them when they discuss these problems.

So these problems fester, and more radical voices grab the microphone. BLM should never have materialized. We should have tackled these policing issues years ago.

Lesson: listen to the peaceful moderates when they talk, and legislate accordingly before people want to burn it all down out of frustration.
+1
tech37

Post by tech37 »

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

Wow...just excellent. Thanks for posting Carroll81.
Typical Lax Dad

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

There is a turf battle over what is considered the nouveau anti-racist regime and the older black intellectual guard. There has always been an element of diverse thinking within the black community. No different than diverse philosophical thought amongst any group. Not sure why someone would find it surprising.....Media can distort what people’s perceptions are....that’s why it is good to get out and meet a lot of different people.

McWhorter is perturbed at Ibram Kendi. He can’t stand him. it’s Like anything there is some justification for his dismissiveness of the anti-racist movement. Anything that is too radical, isn’t sustainable. Most people are moderate. Kendi makes some good points but like anything, there are some holes in his approach and he has blind spots.

If we had just done the right thing in this country during reconstruction, all of this crap would be behind us...the problem set would be different. The longer we put off acknowledging the problem and addressing it, we will continue to sub-optimize the productivity of this country.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

tech37 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:01 pm

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

Wow...just excellent. Thanks for posting Carroll81.
Glad you all liked it. I think Bret took over a little too much at the end.

I thought the discussion around having to not only develop solutions but also be able to sell them through the "influencers" was spot on. Led back to the comment about influencers vs. leaders (or was it a challenge).

I was also surprised by the discussion on schools and education.

Wish they could get the group together on a regular basis.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:15 pm

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

There is a turf battle over what is considered the nouveau anti-racist regime and the older black intellectual guard. There has always been an element of diverse thinking within the black community. No different than diverse philosophical thought amongst any group. Not sure why someone would find it surprising.....Media can distort what people’s perceptions are....that’s why it is good to get out and meet a lot of different people.

McWhorter is perturbed at Ibram Kendi. He can’t stand him. it’s Like anything there is some justification for his dismissiveness of the anti-racist movement. Anything that is too radical, isn’t sustainable. Most people are moderate. Kendi makes some good points but like anything, there are some holes in his approach and he has blind spots.

If we had just done the right thing in this country during reconstruction, all of this dump would be behind us...the problem set would be different. The longer we put off acknowledging the problem and addressing it, we will continue to sub-optimize the productivity of this country.
Not everyone wants optimization.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Hey I heard from some Fanlax friends that Portland is actually serene and peaceful, and that the protests are about justice.

So today's edition of Truth in Advertising brings you actual videos from last night, not you know, spurious 'friends' who claim otherwise. Let's roll the tape!

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/12 ... 65568?s=20

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/12 ... 99075?s=20

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/12 ... 53985?s=20

My favorite is the 'moms' who are actually transvestite men...too funny. How do you lunatics support these lunatics is beyond me. Even children are laughing at you. :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:39 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:15 pm

No White man bad
No Orange man bad
No BLM
No name calling

If we had just done the right thing in this country during reconstruction, all of this dump would be behind us...the problem set would be different. The longer we put off acknowledging the problem and addressing it, we will continue to sub-optimize the productivity of this country.
Not everyone wants optimization.
Yep.

Return to “POLITICS”