Cornell coach search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Cornell coach search

Post by CU77 »

Circumstances are now very different than when Kerwick left, to wit: there's a pandemic and a pandemic-induced hiring freeze.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Works for me.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:08 pm
cuseman4133 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:00 pm That was quick, per Spectrum News in Central NY

#Breaking former #BigRed All-American and current assistant, Connor Buczek
@cbucz33, will be named Cornell men’s lacrosse coach for the 2021 season. Assistant Jordan Stevens will remain on staff as associate HC.

Cornell will conduct a national search following their hiring freeze but according to a source, Buczek WILL be a candidate for the full time gig during the search. The coaching search won’t begin until 2021

https://twitter.com/TheRealJKJ/status/1 ... 9398579200
Acceptable for now.
This is clearly the Cornell modus operandi now. Is this a good thing? Even more uncertainty than Petro on the last year of his contract. Can’t be good for recruiting.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:24 pm Circumstances are now very different than when Kerwick left, to wit: there's a pandemic and a pandemic-induced hiring freeze.
Not really, interviews can be done face to face, so to speak, a bunch of different ways with the technology pretty much everyone has on their desk or in their hands these days.
Another interim hire...brilliant. Put the beanie hat with the propeller on it (as was so aptly described by someone earlier) on the next guy too.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:41 pm
CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:24 pm Circumstances are now very different than when Kerwick left, to wit: there's a pandemic and a pandemic-induced hiring freeze.
Not really, interviews can be done face to face, so to speak, a bunch of different ways with the technology pretty much everyone has on their desk or in their hands these days.
Another interim hire...brilliant. Put the beanie hat with the propeller on it (as was so aptly described by someone earlier) on the next guy too.
Guess if a hiring freeze is in place, it would outrage many at Cornell to make an exception for lacrosse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:18 pm *sigh* You're becoming tiresome. No heads will explode. Buczek is very green. Lots of good potential younger candidates with more experience, some mentioned already.
Weren't you just complaining about how Milliman should've been named permanent HC back in the day rather than stuck with the interim tag? This is different than Milliman I guess you're saying, but it would be a six coach in 11-12yr stretch if they go with someone else. If Petro could be replaced in a month or so why can't Cornell make a permanent decision?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
CU77

Post by CU77 »

There's a staff hiring freeze, no exceptions for sports:

https://www.ithaca.com/news/ithaca/corn ... a66c1.html

And Buczek is way too green to be permanent HC, IMO. As is Stevens.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Fair enough. Still causes problems having another coach in a year for recruiting and general stability though, no? Even if it's institution wide.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Hopkins has a hiring freeze as well. Didn't stop them.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... e-of-virus
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Buczek has been in Ithaca around 10 years, has two Cornell degrees, was a first team AA, has represented the USA in both box and field lacrosse, and is a highly respected pro player. There's a lot for the players to look up to. He's been the OC and done a great job training and developing goalies. He's been a good communicator with alums. Between Stevens and Ciferri, he has two fellow coaches who know the program. There's a lot to be said for this promotion.
Last edited by faircornell on Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

According to CNY Sports Anchor, John Johnson II, former Cornell All-American and current assistant, Connor Buczek will be named Cornell men’s lacrosse coach for the 2021 season. Assistant Jordan Stevens will remain on staff as associate Head Coach.

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/04/27/d1- ... ell-coach/
Caddy Day
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:04 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:59 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm
CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:04 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:00 pmAre Buczek & Stevens of the same cloth? Benson and Dwan? Danowski & Caputo?
IMO, Kerwick & Sowell both under-plan. That's my personal observation from years of watching their teams play. That's why I said they're "cut from the same cloth". Does that have anything to do with serving together under the same HC? Maybe, maybe not.
Kerwick and Sowell are of the same mold. It’s that simple. Worked really well when they were recruiting under Urick, both had a little success as younger guys at Hobart and Dartmouth, SJU for Sowell was a project (Miller had a better season or two than Sowell ever did) and StonyBrook was a different animal where Sowell could waive in any canadian or other less than perfect SAT kid. Sowell is past the point of having the kid of momentum he did at Dartmouth or SBU so now he has to go to a place that’s fits him which is a AE school, Towson, NEC school where he could heavily recruit Canadians that aren’t Daryl Beltman, Jeff Teat types. He’s kill it at St Bonny, Canisius, Jax, UMBC, Vermont, SUNYs etc but he’s not a coach for an Ivy, PL school.
I guess Dartmouth is now pseudo-Ivy like their color red brethen! Oh well, it's academic, good luck Bruiser!!
Or as I pointed out there’s different abilities at different points in coaches careers. Younger guys off strong AC roles have a ton of momentum they can ride. Further along in their careers they have to adjust, and, you know, Coach more. Sowell May be a good dude but he’s not gotten it done in quite a while at the same time being paid like a Desko, Starsia, Petro, Tierney.

He’s been gone from Dartmouth for what, 15yrs now? I played in the Phil Simms NY/NJ football game in HS, clearly I should be in the NFL.
Yeah, and there's a reason Phil Jackson never coached the Nets...my point simply was, if you can win at Dartmouth, you can win anywhere. Anyway, this is the Cornell M.O. Elevate the assistant as an "interim" HC and then make them permanent if they win..
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:15 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:04 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:59 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm
CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:04 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:00 pmAre Buczek & Stevens of the same cloth? Benson and Dwan? Danowski & Caputo?
IMO, Kerwick & Sowell both under-plan. That's my personal observation from years of watching their teams play. That's why I said they're "cut from the same cloth". Does that have anything to do with serving together under the same HC? Maybe, maybe not.
Kerwick and Sowell are of the same mold. It’s that simple. Worked really well when they were recruiting under Urick, both had a little success as younger guys at Hobart and Dartmouth, SJU for Sowell was a project (Miller had a better season or two than Sowell ever did) and StonyBrook was a different animal where Sowell could waive in any canadian or other less than perfect SAT kid. Sowell is past the point of having the kid of momentum he did at Dartmouth or SBU so now he has to go to a place that’s fits him which is a AE school, Towson, NEC school where he could heavily recruit Canadians that aren’t Daryl Beltman, Jeff Teat types. He’s kill it at St Bonny, Canisius, Jax, UMBC, Vermont, SUNYs etc but he’s not a coach for an Ivy, PL school.
I guess Dartmouth is now pseudo-Ivy like their color red brethen! Oh well, it's academic, good luck Bruiser!!
Or as I pointed out there’s different abilities at different points in coaches careers. Younger guys off strong AC roles have a ton of momentum they can ride. Further along in their careers they have to adjust, and, you know, Coach more. Sowell May be a good dude but he’s not gotten it done in quite a while at the same time being paid like a Desko, Starsia, Petro, Tierney.

He’s been gone from Dartmouth for what, 15yrs now? I played in the Phil Simms NY/NJ football game in HS, clearly I should be in the NFL.
Yeah, and there's a reason Phil Jackson never coached the Nets...my point simply was, if you can win at Dartmouth, you can win anywhere. Anyway, this is the Cornell M.O. Elevate the assistant as an "interim" HC and then make them permanent if they win..
Hiring freeze makes things difficult, albeit Hopkins had one and hired a coach anyway as pointed out above; but it's strange that they haven't seemed to notice how this process isn't working out for them. No one's doing this except for Cornell, and both prior times they did it, in the "long" run it did not work out at all. Buczek as interim for the moment to guide them through everything makes sense but provided you can run a search...do it.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I am not a fan of Cornell's long-time AD, Andy Noel. Send all your complaints to him. See if he pays any more attention to you than he does to me.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Postponing the search until 2021 may serve to increase the talent pool. It gives prospective applicants a chance to weigh their options, talk with family, etc. At any rate, doing it differently is a moot point now. I wish Connor Buczek, his staff, and the players all the best.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The thing that bothers me is the interim tag. Or the "1 year only" tag and then a search. Either conduct a search or name Buczek the HC and if it doesn't work out because he isn't right for the job, replace him after 2-3 years. Cornell has lost 4 coaches in 10 years, but only two left. The other two were fired (maybe Kerwick "resigned" - don't remember). But give him and the players and recruits some feeling of stability. Why repeat this idiotic status/situation again?????? The only reason I can see to do this was a quick move to retain Buczek and Stevens so Milliman didn't poach and to maintain stability during this crisis, both of which are understandable. But scrap the interim stuff and give him the job. If you have enough faith in him to lead the program for one year, you should have enough faith to give him the full title.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Chousnake wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:43 pm... a quick move to retain Buczek and Stevens so Milliman didn't poach and to maintain stability during this crisis...
How does this create stability with Stevens?
Caddy Day
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Wow :!:
Tremendous, if official, in my opinion.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”