Cornell coach search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Cornell coach search

Post by CU77 »

I watched many Navy games under Sowell. I do not consider the results "solid". And neither did the Navy AD, who fired him less than a year ago.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:36 pm I watched many Navy games under Sowell. I do not consider the results "solid". And neither did the Navy AD, who fired him less than a year ago.
Navy is a different animal(no Canadians)Cornell has always been effective using the boys from up north...to me, his Dartmouth results were impressive. SBU too, but to win a Dartmouth, with the goofy junior year requirements, is tough to do. Ask Wilson or Towers or anyone!

Still like Mike Abbott as the guy to lead the Big Red!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

May as well talk about Petro's 2 national championships if we're going to talk about Dartmouth re Sowell. WAY in the past. Sowell had a shot at Navy (was reportedly the highest paid lax coach in DI) and the brass at Navy was not sufficiently happy to keep him. And I'm sure they knew all about Dartmouth.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

The Big Red will find their way. A great tradition in lacrosse will attract a fine person. And it seems that person will have momentum on his side. The team looks to be have talent, so I am sure a slew of coaches will be line up to guide them.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Cornell would be crazy to not take a hard look at Ryan Pooley. He did a terrific job as an assistant coach at Yale and then turned a nothing program at BU into a perennial Patriot League playoff team. Not an easy chore.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:04 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:00 pmAre Buczek & Stevens of the same cloth? Benson and Dwan? Danowski & Caputo?
IMO, Kerwick & Sowell both under-plan. That's my personal observation from years of watching their teams play. That's why I said they're "cut from the same cloth". Does that have anything to do with serving together under the same HC? Maybe, maybe not.
Kerwick and Sowell are of the same mold. It’s that simple. Worked really well when they were recruiting under Urick, both had a little success as younger guys at Hobart and Dartmouth, SJU for Sowell was a project (Miller had a better season or two than Sowell ever did) and StonyBrook was a different animal where Sowell could waive in any canadian or other less than perfect SAT kid. Sowell is past the point of having the kid of momentum he did at Dartmouth or SBU so now he has to go to a place that’s fits him which is a AE school, Towson, NEC school where he could heavily recruit Canadians that aren’t Daryl Beltman, Jeff Teat types. He’s kill it at St Bonny, Canisius, Jax, UMBC, Vermont, SUNYs etc but he’s not a coach for an Ivy, PL school.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Lax3 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:24 pm Cornell would be crazy to not take a hard look at Ryan Pooley. He did a terrific job as an assistant coach at Yale and then turned a nothing program at BU into a perennial Patriot League playoff team. Not an easy chore.
Yes BU was a “nothing” program if you mean non-existent. He built it no different than Chemotti or Torpey. But if that’s the criterion then Feds is just as good of a choice, if a little older/more mature.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Paul Carcaterra@paulcarcaterra
1 hour ago
Cornell Lacrosse...this will be your 5th coach in 10 years. Want some stability? Think about hiring one of your own...Kyle Georgalas...who is a fantastic coach. Do what you can to keep those two (Stevens and Buczek) prized young assistants as well!
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sowell has a 54-56 record at Navy. Feds has a 133-84 (.613) record at Bucknell, .599 overall including F&M.
rmredlax

Post by rmredlax »

As an alum from the 70s it really is disturbing to see the perception of the Cornell job as a stepping stone to other programs especially JH. While I understand times change I have seen firsthand that the Cornell tradition for lacrosse and other sports like hockey, is still very strong. The numbers 10 & 21 hold special meaning to our team. And I hope the next coach will embrace the challenge and will want to stay for many, many years.

I don’t know the financials of our comp plan compared to other schools nor do I know the real effect of the “interim” tag designation, but I would have thought PM would have stayed for many years given his upstate roots and his connections to the players, alumni and community. We wish him well but in this case, red will always be the color of choice.

My preference for the next coach would be the following:

1. Youngish current head coach (or assistant) who will lead the program to success for many years and will embrace living in upstate NY regardless of the weather conditions! We don’t want someone who has great qualities but is just waiting for their dream job at ____U to open up.
2. Is able to relate to today’s players
3. A strong recruiter in traditional markets as well as in our case, build upon our “northern” strategy while keeping abreast of players in emerging markets
4. A strong communicator to the overall community. PM IMO excelled at keeping alumni up to date on what was happening with the team
5. An alumni if they have the skill set noted above
6. Respect for and embracing of our Tradition

We have the makings - current players and incoming recruiting classes for the next coach to take us to the next level. The ’77 banner needs to be replaced.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:00 pmAre Buczek & Stevens of the same cloth? Benson and Dwan? Danowski & Caputo?
IMO, Kerwick & Sowell both under-plan. That's my personal observation from years of watching their teams play. That's why I said they're "cut from the same cloth". Does that have anything to do with serving together under the same HC? Maybe, maybe not.
Kerwick and Sowell are of the same mold. It’s that simple. Worked really well when they were recruiting under Urick, both had a little success as younger guys at Hobart and Dartmouth, SJU for Sowell was a project (Miller had a better season or two than Sowell ever did) and StonyBrook was a different animal where Sowell could waive in any canadian or other less than perfect SAT kid. Sowell is past the point of having the kid of momentum he did at Dartmouth or SBU so now he has to go to a place that’s fits him which is a AE school, Towson, NEC school where he could heavily recruit Canadians that aren’t Daryl Beltman, Jeff Teat types. He’s kill it at St Bonny, Canisius, Jax, UMBC, Vermont, SUNYs etc but he’s not a coach for an Ivy, PL school.
I guess Dartmouth is now pseudo-Ivy like their color red brethen! Oh well, it's academic, good luck Bruiser!!
Last edited by FMUBart on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

That was quick, per Spectrum News in Central NY

#Breaking former #BigRed All-American and current assistant, Connor Buczek
@cbucz33, will be named Cornell men’s lacrosse coach for the 2021 season. Assistant Jordan Stevens will remain on staff as associate HC.

Cornell will conduct a national search following their hiring freeze but according to a source, Buczek WILL be a candidate for the full time gig during the search. The coaching search won’t begin until 2021

https://twitter.com/TheRealJKJ/status/1 ... 9398579200
118:24 #HHH
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:54 pm Sowell has a 54-56 record at Navy. Feds has a 133-84 (.613) record at Bucknell, .599 overall including F&M.
NCAA tournament wins? PL titles? Other coaching awards? Love Frank, but w/o the 10 man, he's just another coach..
CU77

Post by CU77 »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:59 pmI guess Dartmouth is now pseudo-Ivy like their color red brethen!
Sowell coached Dartmouth when Petro coached Cornell! It was a billion years ago! It has zero relevance to today, as the ADs at Hop and Navy will tell you.
Last edited by CU77 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:59 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm
I guess Dartmouth is now pseudo-Ivy like their color red brethen! Oh well, it's academic, good luck Bruiser!!
Or as I pointed out there’s different abilities at different points in coaches careers. Younger guys off strong AC roles have a ton of momentum they can ride. Further along in their careers they have to adjust, and, you know, Coach more. Sowell May be a good dude but he’s not gotten it done in quite a while at the same time being paid like a Desko, Starsia, Petro, Tierney.

He’s been gone from Dartmouth for what, 15yrs now? I played in the Phil Simms NY/NJ football game in HS, clearly I should be in the NFL.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

cuseman4133 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:00 pm That was quick, per Spectrum News in Central NY

@cbucz33, will be named Cornell men’s lacrosse coach for the 2021 season. Assistant Jordan Stevens will remain on staff as associate HC.

Cornell will conduct a national search following their hiring freeze but according to a source, Buczek WILL be a candidate for the full time gig during the search. The coaching search won’t begin until 2021

Acceptable for now.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If they go outside next year and don't make Buzcek permanent how many Cornell heads will explode.

FMU - 54-56 is less than .500 at a place that has a bunch of nat'l titles, Feds is > 60% at a place where Sid Jameison was barely above .500 and didn't give scholarship dough for a long time. Personally I'd take Polley anyway, but Feds has done more with less in the same conference. And since he had some home life issues has been interested in coming back to upstate NY. Sowell would just be taking a paycheck and probably have one foot out the door more than Petro did back in the day.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

*sigh* You're becoming tiresome. No heads will explode. Buczek is very green. Lots of good potential younger candidates with more experience, some mentioned already.
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:08 pm
cuseman4133 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:00 pm That was quick, per Spectrum News in Central NY

Acceptable for now.
How is this any different than how Noel handled PM? 1 year gig = interim.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

so am i reading this right- CB is the coach, on a one year contract, and eligible to interview for the job that he will be on a year long interview for?

and this is interim without the tag, right?

*if true, tells me that if PM left partially because of the tag, they didnt learn their lesson, or they did and decided to call it something else

either way, i like it. give my regards to davy.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”