Cornell coach search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Cornell coach search

Post by HopFan16 »

As Milliman heads to JHU, the coaching carousel spins. Let the games begin...

Some possibilities off the top of my head. I don't know a thing, just spitballing here:

- Greg Raymond
- Dave Pietramala
- Pat March
- John Galloway
- Kevin Cassese
- Sean Kirwan
- Chris Feifs
- Mike Phipps
- Rick Sowell
- Ryan Polley
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AustinDangerPowers

Re: Cornell coach search

Post by AustinDangerPowers »

Why do Cornell struggle to keep coaches around? 4 coaches in ten years.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I imagine that if the JHU opportunity didn't come up that Coach Milliman would have stayed around.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

I would expect a lot of the same names from the Harvard search from last offseason to be contenders, with the exception of Thompson (formerly Amherst). Cassese, Kirwan, Polley, Sowell.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:42 pm As Milliman heads to JHU, the coaching carousel spins. Let the games begin...

Some possibilities off the top of my head. I don't know a thing, just spitballing here:

- Greg Raymond
- Dave Pietramala
- Pat March
- John Galloway
- Kevin Cassese
- Sean Kirwan
- Chris Feifs
- Mike Phipps

I think it’s got to be someone who has recruited for a selective academic school and knows the ropes for that. Cassese is an intriguing possibility, as he’s brought in some excellent recruits to a program that is not a traditional power.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah, we are serious about drinking red wine from skulls if you even get into the 315 to try to approach Raymond...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Sowell is a guy I could see getting a good look. Coached at Dartmouth and Navy so he knows the ropes as far as recruiting. Navy was an up and down tenure, but before that his resume was tremendous; only coach to ever get Dartmouth to the tournament, did a tremendous job at Stony Brook. Experience in the area. Checks the boxes
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:11 pm Sowell is a guy I could see getting a good look. Coached at Dartmouth and Navy so he knows the ropes as far as recruiting. Navy was an up and down tenure, but before that his resume was tremendous; only coach to ever get Dartmouth to the tournament, did a tremendous job at Stony Brook. Experience in the area. Checks the boxes
And, he grew up less than a hour from Ithaca..
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:13 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:11 pm Sowell is a guy I could see getting a good look. Coached at Dartmouth and Navy so he knows the ropes as far as recruiting. Navy was an up and down tenure, but before that his resume was tremendous; only coach to ever get Dartmouth to the tournament, did a tremendous job at Stony Brook. Experience in the area. Checks the boxes
And, he grew up less than a hour from Ithaca..
He wouldn’t be high on my list but probably can’t be ruled out.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The Cornell job requires someone on the younger end of the spectrum with a strong work ethic and an upbeat attitude. Flying in & out of Ithaca (or other central New York airports), spending time with the team to keep spirits up and keeping up with the large alumni base are all things that take a toll on family life, and energy levels. If you look at successful Cornell coaches, Moran, Pietromala, Tambroni, Deluca, Milliman, they all started in a youngish part of their coaching life with tremendous energy levels. Sowell might be the guy, but he'd need to clearly understand the challenges of the job.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:20 pm
The Cornell job requires someone on the younger end of the spectrum with a strong work ethic and an upbeat attitude. Flying in & out of Ithaca (or other central New York airports), spending time with the team to keep spirits up and keeping up with the large alumni base are all things that take a toll on family life, and energy levels. If you look at successful Cornell coaches, Moran, Pietromala, Tambroni, Deluca, Milliman, they all started in a youngish part of their coaching life with tremendous energy levels. Sowell might be the guy, but he'd need to clearly understand the challenges of the job.
I mean, the guy just spent 8 years coaching at the Naval Academy. I think he understands the rigors of a potential job like that just fine.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Then why isn't he still the coach at Navy?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

More importantly he’s kind of a roll the ball out and let em play guy like Kerwick with less boozing. They were the two key assistants under Urick for a long time. Doesn’t fit the mold of every other coach since Moran.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:33 pm Then why isn't he still the coach at Navy?
Because they didn't win enough? You can "understand" how difficult the job is and the challenges that come with it and also ultimately not succeed. Sowell wouldn't be my first choice for Cornell, but I can absolutely see him being in contention for the job
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:33 pm Then why isn't he still the coach at Navy?
My question, too.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Isn't Milliman's wife the women's lax coach at Wells College? Tough commute...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maybe they threw some of that Bloomberg cheddar at the whole family so she could quit working?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:35 pm More importantly [Sowell is] kind of a roll the ball out and let em play guy like Kerwick with less boozing. They were the two key assistants under Urick for a long time.
I'd forgotten that bit of history.

And Navy didn't win enough because, IMO, Sowell did not coach well enough. Ditto Hop and Petro. I don't want either of them in Ithaca.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Still don’t understand why Polley isn’t talked about more? Has Pat Myers dome enough to warrant a look? What abot Cheis Gabrielli or I still think Jim Morrissey got a raw deal at HC.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

What about the young guy at Vermont? Was with Breschi for a while, then seemed to do a good deal with a tough recruit in Burlington.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”