All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

cradleandshoot

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:49 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:41 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:33 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:30 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:21 pm Man, I tell you, the free market is a beautiful thing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Gilead got their money for this research from......who? :lol:

Government handouts staring you in the face. And you still can't see it.

The FDA's granting of orphan status for remdesivir as a treatment for COVID-19 came with financial incentives for Gilead that include tax breaks, waiver of FDA fees and market exclusivity for seven years if the drug is approved. New drug molecules typically only get five years of this exclusivity.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... treatments

BTW, US taxpayers are suing your super awesome "free market" company for IP theft. Might want to put that into your stock pricing.

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2019/11/ ... s-hiv.html

I'm long and strong and riding with my boy Dan O'Day until this pandemic is crushed. My cap gains will pay for the jumbo crabs at MD's plus a few bottles of your reserve collection. ;)
Love the jumbo crabs but without fresh schucked raw clams there can be no party... period.
Some Chincoteagues are indeed tasty! I'm more of an oyster guy myself, but I do like to mix few a salty clams into the mix. Generally better, or at least safer, in cold months though. Gotta slurp.

Never really seen the appeal of large quahogs up north, but I do love me a big platter of fried full bodies, soft shells.

It'll certainly be good to get back, at some point, to being able to share these experiences with families and pals.

Meanwhile, buy and prepare as much seafood as you can while at home, the industry is hurting as people usually eat most seafood at restaurants.
Our freezer is full. Raw shrimp and prawns, scallops, a ton of salmon. My wife buys the wild caught from Alaska. They sell it twice a year and it is damn good, especially the prawns. I love me some oysters too. Way back in the day at Ft Bragg the Red Lobster Rest use to have all you can eat oysters on the half shell with a lighthouse cocktail where you could keep the glass. My buddy was from Rhode Island and he taught me the finer points of slurping down oysters. The slurping is mandatory. I still love the raw clams, little necks with a tiny dab of cocktail sauce or Texas Pete
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:03 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:21 pm Man, I tell you, the free market is a beautiful thing.

The FDA's granting of orphan status for remdesivir as a treatment for COVID-19 came with financial incentives for Gilead that include tax breaks, waiver of FDA fees and market exclusivity for seven years if the drug is approved. New drug molecules typically only get five years of this exclusivity.

BTW, US taxpayers are suing your super awesome "free market" company for IP theft. Might want to put that into your stock pricing.

I'm long and strong and riding with my boy Dan O'Day until this pandemic is crushed. My cap gains will pay for the jumbo crabs at MD's plus a few bottles of your reserve collection. ;)
Love the jumbo crabs but without fresh schucked raw clams there can be no party... period.
Some Chincoteagues are indeed tasty! I'm more of an oyster guy myself, but I do like to mix few a salty clams into the mix. Generally better, or at least safer, in cold months though. Gotta slurp.

Never really seen the appeal of large quahogs up north, but I do love me a big platter of fried full bodies, soft shells.

It'll certainly be good to get back, at some point, to being able to share these experiences with families and pals.

Meanwhile, buy and prepare as much seafood as you can while at home, the industry is hurting as people usually eat most seafood at restaurants.
Our freezer is full. Raw shrimp and prawns, scallops, a ton of salmon. My wife buys the wild caught from Alaska. They sell it twice a year and it is damn good, especially the prawns. I love me some oysters too. Way back in the day at Ft Bragg the Red Lobster Rest use to have all you can eat oysters on the half shell with a lighthouse cocktail where you could keep the glass. My buddy was from Rhode Island and he taught me the finer points of slurping down oysters. The slurping is mandatory. I still love the raw clams, little necks with a tiny dab of cocktail sauce or Texas Pete
I knew I liked you, cradle. 🦀 🦐 🐟
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:01 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:37 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:35 pm That's all fine.

Just stop complaining about big government and big handouts. You like both quite a bit.

Whether you'll admit it or not, you've learned a ton this year at the Forum. ;)
Hey, a Fan... here at the forum the learning never stops and no one ever graduates. ;)
:lol: Amen! I've learned more about the military from you, OS, and DMac then I ever would if I just went about life......

And that's just ONE subject.
Thank you again for what you are doing for your local community. You may appreciate this. I don't understand everything that goes into making hand sanitizer. The stuff they are using at our local Wegmans store smells just like freaking white wine. It almost wanted to make me lick it off of my hands.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:03 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:03 pm

I knew I liked you, cradle. 🦀 🦐 🐟
Good seafood is a universal language in itself. My wifes best recipe is Shrimp Scampi served over her moms recipe for greens and beans. Mighty fine stuff indeed.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 pm
or the social democrats who have basically run things there for over 100 years. same difference, i guess.
Nope. Republicans. Hoover, Nixon, Reagan, Bush I, Bush II, Trump, McCarthy, McConnell, Palin ~ all hellbent on sinking the USA in a hell pit.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:06 pm
Thank you again for what you are doing for your local community. You may appreciate this. I don't understand everything that goes into making hand sanitizer. The stuff they are using at our local Wegmans store smells just like freaking white wine. It almost wanted to make me lick it off of my hands.

:lol: It could be made from grapes.....

Goes like this:

1. Mash and ferment something into a beer/wine. You can use grapes, sugar, malted barley, corn...anything that you can convert into sugar.
2. The alcohol of that fermented mash is between 5% and 15% alcohol by volume.
3. Put this mash into what's called a vodka column, distill it into 95% alcohol.
4. In a mixing tank, mix the 95% alcohol with other ingredients
a. Glycerine/Glycerol. This "holds" the alcohol on your hands, and keeps it from evaporating, allowing the alcohol to remain in contact with germs, dissolving their cell membranes
b. Hydrogen Peroxide: this is an additional germ-killer that works via oxidation, stealing electrons from a germ's cell membrane, destroying it.

That's it! So if the base used to make the 95% spirit is grapes....you'll still get a bit of that smell.

Our vodka column:

https://images.app.goo.gl/ErphwaiWENKQXEeu6
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Cooter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:36 pm

I think in shutting a state down for a period of a month, the state legislature should be allowed to vote on it.

Every survey taken on the matter reveals that the majority says keep the mitigation safeguards in place. Because of that, most likely the legislatures will vote for their continuation.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:03 pm I love me some oysters too. Way back in the day at Ft Bragg the Red Lobster Rest use to have all you can eat oysters on the half shell with a lighthouse cocktail where you could keep the glass. My buddy was from Rhode Island and he taught me the finer points of slurping down oysters. The slurping is mandatory. I still love the raw clams, little necks with a tiny dab of cocktail sauce or Texas Pete
I like oysters to an embarrassing degree. I could eat 30 of them in a sitting with NO PROBLEM. My wife and I went to Eliot's in Seattle ...there for a wedding. Popped in to their oyster bar.....I stopped eating to keep my wife from getting embarrassed (she didn't care, actually). I eat them with nothing....no mignonette, no horseradish....just the oyster!

One of the highlights of my career was getting our Leopold Gin on in the Union Station Oyster Bar in NYC......the spirits buyer there at the time was a huge fan. What a treat is was slurping down oysters at such a historic place with a perfect Gin martini !
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:24 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:03 pm I love me some oysters too. Way back in the day at Ft Bragg the Red Lobster Rest use to have all you can eat oysters on the half shell with a lighthouse cocktail where you could keep the glass. My buddy was from Rhode Island and he taught me the finer points of slurping down oysters. The slurping is mandatory. I still love the raw clams, little necks with a tiny dab of cocktail sauce or Texas Pete
I like oysters to an embarrassing degree. I could eat 30 of them in a sitting with NO PROBLEM. My wife and I went to Eliot's in Seattle ...there for a wedding. Popped in to their oyster bar.....I stopped eating to keep my wife from getting embarrassed (she didn't care, actually). I eat them with nothing....no mignonette, no horseradish....just the oyster!

One of the highlights of my career was getting our Leopold Gin on in the Union Station Oyster Bar in NYC......the spirits buyer there at the time was a huge fan. What a treat is was slurping down oysters at such a historic place with a perfect Gin martini !
Grand Central Station? The Oyster Bar served a She Crab Soup on Thursday’s. It’s phenomenal.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

:lol: Whoops. Sorry. Yes....Grand Central Station. It's Union Station in Denver....wrong city.

I pretty sure they still have our Gin......
ggait

Post by ggait »

1. Mash and ferment something into a beer/wine. You can use grapes, sugar, malted barley, corn...anything that you can convert into sugar.
3. Put this mash into what's called a vodka column, distill it into 95% alcohol.
Sounds like you are making artisanal Everclear.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:17 pm
or the social democrats who have basically run things there for over 100 years. same difference, i guess.
Nope. Republicans. Hoover, Nixon, Reagan, Bush I, Bush II, Trump, McCarthy, McConnell, Palin ~ all hellbent on sinking the USA in a hell pit.
ok. i'll admit to not knowing what you're referencing. for the record, i don't need to.

however, just in the spirit of accuracy, here was the entire quote post from which you took my snippet:
Brooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:54 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:31 pm Yes. It remains to be seen. The philosophy seems to be, "we will let some of these old people die off and hopefully the younger people will develop some immunity". The question seems to be what is an acceptable number of deaths?... for the greater good.
Yup. Today's version of Republican Aktion 4. This coming from the people who proclaim themselves to be "pro life" while their Republican death panels perform their true agenda.
i had quoted all of your post, but you had not quoted all of tld's. here is where his post came from:
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:31 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:26 pm
I posted this Swedish interview the other day. The head health guy in Sweden is being pretty open about what he is doing and why. He still thinks it is the right plan.

He's waaaaaay behind at halftime. Up to 192 deaths per million pop -- that is 3X Denmark and 6X Norway. UW is projecting Sweden is still three weeks from the peak. UW projecting 9,200 deaths for Sweden -- which would be 900 deaths per million pop. For reference, Italy is currently at 415.

He's betting that he'll win in the second half -- because Sweden will have developed herd immunity sooner than other countries. Very much TBD.
Yes. It remains to be seen. The philosophy seems to be, "we will let some of these old people die off and hopefully the younger people will develop some immunity". The question seems to be what is an acceptable number of deaths?... for the greater good.
the conversation was sweden. you're either conflating or contrasting the 2 countries' political moves, making another argument,or whatevs i can't follow.
again, don't need to. peace.
a fan

Post by a fan »

ggait wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:43 pm
Sounds like you are making artisanal Everclear.
That's pretty much it! All Everclear is, is slightly diluted vodka.

Believe it or not----there are whiskey nuts that are....I kid you not....trying to collect hand sanitizer from every distillery making it.

And yup, we've gotten some well-earned razzing about "handcrafted sanitizer".
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:44 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:17 pm
ok. i'll admit to not knowing what you're referencing. for the record, i don't need to.

however, just in the spirit of accuracy, here was the entire quote post from which you took my snippet:
Brooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:54 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:31 pm Yes. It remains to be seen. The philosophy seems to be, "we will let some of these old people die off and hopefully the younger people will develop some immunity". The question seems to be what is an acceptable number of deaths?... for the greater good.
Yup. Today's version of Republican Aktion 4. This coming from the people who proclaim themselves to be "pro life" while their Republican death panels perform their true agenda.
i had quoted all of your post, but you had not quoted all of tld's. here is where his post came from:
I posted this Swedish interview the other day. The head health guy in Sweden is being pretty open about what he is doing and why. He still thinks it is the right plan.

He's waaaaaay behind at halftime. Up to 192 deaths per million pop -- that is 3X Denmark and 6X Norway. UW is projecting Sweden is still three weeks from the peak. UW projecting 9,200 deaths for Sweden -- which would be 900 deaths per million pop. For reference, Italy is currently at 415.

He's betting that he'll win in the second half -- because Sweden will have developed herd immunity sooner than other countries. Very much TBD.
Yes. It remains to be seen. The philosophy seems to be, "we will let some of these old people die off and hopefully the younger people will develop some immunity". The question seems to be what is an acceptable number of deaths?... for the greater good.
the conversation was sweden. you're either conflating or contrasting the 2 countries' political moves, making another argument,or whatevs i can't follow.
That seemed to be my take on the Swedish view based on that article..... Old people need to be more careful. They are going to let the virus run it’s course. They are not going to shut down the country. Seems like they have decided that the more vulnerable population is what it is...more vulnerable. We will see if it works. I was initially of that mind....shelter the old people and let everyone else move about. But I discovered that a number of people 55 and under end up in the hospital and a chunk of them die. Changed my opinion. If you go to the hospital in Sweden with COVID 19, there is a 75% chance you won’t be leaving. Our numbers are better.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:24 pm

If you get the opportunity, check out Rodney’s Oyster House in Toronto.A former Nova Scotia oysterman bringing the goods to TO. Best in my experience.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

That seemed to be the Swedish view based on that article..... Old people need to be more careful. They are going to let the virus run it’s course. They are not going to shut down the country. Seems like they have decided that the more vulnerable population is what it is...more vulnerable. We will see if it works. I was initially of that mind....shelter the old people and let everyone else move about. But I discovered that a number of people 55 and under end up in the hospital and a chunk of them die. Changed my opinion. If you go to the hospital in Sweden with COVID 19, there is a 75% chance you won’t be leaving. Our numbers are better.
[/quote]going by what they've said recently on miscalculating and put in place originally, there was supposed to be a big emphasis on isolating the elderly and vulnerable. the virus either was more severe than they anticipated or more easily slipped thru their cracks there.
they've also admitted more testing would have helped in that regard, particularly with the elderly, and are supposedly ramping that.

not knowing exactly what level of social contact is there vs. other places like ours, i still would've guessed their case numbers would be growing a lot more rapidly than they are by now. immunity? lack of enough tests? we'll see. if it's the former (and there is such a thing), their outcomes may not be nearly as bad as predicted. and wrapped sooner.
Last edited by wgdsr on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:45 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:41 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:23 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:18 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:48 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:29 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:37 pm Also in general, I expect Swedes are healthier than say Italians. I bet that fact weighed in favor of their decision/approach.
Fredo is holding on line 2 for you, and he doesn’t sound happy.
:D

I know it's stereotypical, generalized, and probably not PC to many here but the fact remains, Swedes are a pragmatic lot living a pragmatic culture as compared...

Put another way, Greta Thunberg is Swedish, not Italian. :lol: Is that worse?
Ingrid Bergman vs. Sophia Loren. Debate among yourselves.
It's my Dennis Miller theory of homosexuality shot through the movie "Boy and the Dolphin." If you're a 12-year-old boy and you're watching the movie "Boy and a Dolphin" and a 27-year-old Sofia Loren crawls up out of the Aegean Sea after sponge diving, she's standing there in the deck of the boat in a see-through gauze top, rivulets of water dripping off her torso onto the deck of the boat. If you're a 12-year-old boy and you're watching that and you still want to make it with the captain of the boat, you're gay.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050208/me ... 1671141376
This wasn't Sophia, but was still a good litmus test for a 12 yr old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2eIC4YiEq8
What about this one?

Tony Curtis sounds like he is from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
That's because he was born not too far away in Manhattan as Bernard Schwartz.

His best line from the medieval 1950s classic The Black Shield of Falworth made shortly before Spartacus
"Yondah is duh cassel of my fadduh!"
njbill

Post by njbill »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:46 pm Top of the list... Raquel Welch and she is still hot.
Bet you had THE poster on your wall. I did.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:44 pm The philosophy seems to be, "we will let some of these old people die off and hopefully the younger peopl

Those thoughts have been echoed here in the USA, discussed before on this forum, and reflects the type of prevailing right wing delusionalism that is so typical of Republican ideology. I understand there is an ultra right wing group in Sweden called Sweden Democrats {sic} that subscribes to much of their delusionalism. Not sure, however, that they have declared a willingness to sacrifice old people for the greater "good" as they see it. But may check on it some day soon.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Ticked Off Vic: "Patriots" and Nazi Flags

And it comes as no surprise that the USA's self anointed "Chosen" supports those radical lunatics.

Return to “POLITICS”