All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Peter Brown

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:40 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:28 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm My friend and #1 governor in America, Ron DeSantis, has ordered all residents except for those working in essential businesses to stay home starting tonight, for 30 days. In other words, all Democrats must stay home.
Please keep all those food workers, grocery shelf stockers, pharmacists, etc working PB...you know, all those Dems. ;)

Good news though. Expect it to be through May.

They would be Democrats but they don't vote. We suppress the vote down here however we can. :lol:

I am now awaiting apologies from JHU72, DocB, Red and all the others who criticize DeSantis but not Pennsylvania's Wolf, who still has not issued a stay at home order.
Sorry bozo, JHU72 has never mentioned your governor. EVER. He gets no apology from me. He will however need to apologize to the people of Florida for waiting so long.

I'll accept that as a heartfelt apology and will pass it along.

Also, show me your critique of Governor Wolf (D) of Pennsylvania. Thanks!
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:29 pm Anyone heard any info on how many people with underlying conditions are dying from those issues and not coronavirus.

Nearly nine million people die annually from Heart disease, 3 million from lung disease, 3 million more from pneumonia etc—are they really dying from corona virus.
Don't worry, its all a "democrat hoax". :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:30 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:58 pm
Cooter wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:53 pm https://www.yahoo.com/news/already-had- ... 11866.html
Could I have had it and been asymptomatic?

Hillmann: Coronavirus is actually quite a significant spectrum of symptoms, from people who are entirely asymptomatic and would have no idea that they have it to people with very mild, cold-like symptoms – runny nose, congestion, sore throat – to people with more flu-like symptoms – high fevers, muscle aches, shortness of breath and cough. All the way up to people with severe illness, who we’re seeing in the hospital with respiratory failure, requiring ICU care. (Editor’s note: recent reports suggest that loss of smell and taste are also signs of Covid-19 infection.)
What percentage of carriers are asymptomatic?

Dr David Buchholz: Right now in New York, we’re only testing the sickest possible people. So we have no idea. However, there was a study in Iceland, which tested [a large segment of its] population, and 50% of the people who tested positive had no symptoms.

Are people who are asymptomatic also contagious?

Hillmann: A significant proportion of people who are totally asymptomatic are contagious for some portion of time. We just don’t know [for how long] at this point, because we don’t have the kind of testing available to screen for asymptomatic infections.
If I’ve had it, can I get it again?

Buchholz: There’s not been any evidence that anyone’s gotten it more than once. Someone with a normal immune system that can react to the virus and get better should have immunity for quite some time, at least a year, if not lifelong.

There have been reports out of China suggesting people are testing positive for Covid-19 a second time. Most scientists think it is an issue around the inaccuracy of the testing and not that people are having two separate cases of the disease.
On the latter, we really don't know how this will evolve. We are unable to build substantial immunity to the common cold, similar virus to CV we think, nor are we able to develop a vaccine. That's because it evolves.

Apparently there are already 8 variations that have been found of CV-19. No guarantee that they will each build immunity for the others.

Of course, that the dark perspective.
The flu virus mutates on average 10 -12 times a month. The current literature I have read indicates this virus mutates at 1 - 2 times a month. Most of the mutations that occur in both the flu and corona are in non coding nonsense regions. We seem to be able to generate a fairly effective vaccine against a virus that mutates at quite a different rate. From what I have read given these factors the ability to generate a viable vaccine is quite likely. You would expect the antigens to target the spike protein or some other highly conserved surface protein.
This why this forum is terrific!

Thanks, let's hope it works out.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:39 pm
More people will die from hunger poverty and depression than this virus. 10's of millions unemployed—Thats not stupid. Thats fact.
Perhaps true in some scenarios. I myself am terrified of the economic fallout. But that isn't actionable information.

Leave the economy fully open and you get 2.2 million U.S. deaths from the virus. Total U.S. deaths in a year is 2.8 million. And at that level (as Bill Gates correctly points out) you can't have a functioning economy anyway.

Realtor showing a house for sale: here's the open concept kitchen, there's the big family room, oh don't worry about that pile of bodies in the corner...

So please, Six, tell us what YOUR April 1, 2020 action plan would be?

A. Do nothing and have 2.2 million deaths.
B. Continue current course and get 100-240k deaths.
C. Do ______ and get _______ deaths?

What is C?
Can standing next to starving person cause you to starve also?
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:43 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:39 pm
More people will die from hunger poverty and depression than this virus. 10's of millions unemployed—Thats not stupid. Thats fact.
Perhaps true in some scenarios, but not actionable information.

Leave the economy fully open and you get 2.2 million U.S. deaths from the virus. Total U.S. deaths in a year is 2.8 million. And at that level (as Bill Gates correctly points out) you can't have a functioning economy anyway.

Realtor showing a house for sale: here's the open concept kitchen, there's the big family room, oh don't worry about that pile of bodies in the corner...

So please, Six, tell us what YOUR plan would be?
Fed ex is currently running 350,000 employees. The trucking industry is running 10s of thousands in the supply chain.

Grocery store. Drug stores. In the midst of this crisis. Seems we could learn some lessons to apply to the other market segments.

Realtor showing a house—No Buyers.
Interestingly, my realtor brother in law is selling houses at a decent clip even now. Not sure how long that lasts.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:49 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:29 pm Anyone heard any info on how many people with underlying conditions are dying from those issues and not coronavirus.

Nearly nine million people die annually from Heart disease, 3 million from lung disease, 3 million more from pneumonia etc—are they really dying from corona virus.
FK you really. Its a legitimate question
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:47 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm My friend and #1 governor in America, Ron DeSantis, has ordered all residents except for those working in essential businesses to stay home starting tonight, for 30 days. In other words, all Democrats must stay home.
Please keep all those food workers, grocery shelf stockers, pharmacists, etc working PB...you know, all those Dems. ;)

They would be Democrats but they don't vote. We suppress the vote down here however we can. :lol:

I am now awaiting apologies from JHU72, DocB, Red and all the others who criticize DeSantis but not Pennsylvania's Wolf, who still has not issued a stay at home order.
Sorry bozo, JHU72 has never mentioned your governor. EVER. He gets no apology from me. He will however need to apologize to the people of Florida for waiting so long.

just a suggestion, PB, but you may want to re-read 72's response.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Im getting more and more convinced that you and JHU72 are the same poster.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:53 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:49 pm

FK you really. Its a legitimate question
some day it will be a legit question and certainly will be analyzed.
But no way to read your question now as other than to suggest that they aren't being caused by this virus and its infection.

Certainly there's what is described as "co-morbidity", the overlapping of issues.
In this case, we know that various co-morbidities increase likelihood of early death precipitated by COVID-19.

But yeah, we know these deaths were early and specifically precipitated by COVID-19.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:57 pm

:lol: He's smarter than me. More liberal too.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

:lol:

If Trump had called for a two-week stay-at-home in January rather than the China travel ban (which Dems of course opposed), he would have been called a fascist dictator by the same Dems now calling him derelict.

You can't win with Dems...they're the laggards in the fam.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:58 pm

That proves it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:46 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:42 pm A good news story.
for all tyou smart guys'

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2002/0 ... low-grades

The Cornell researchers found that young people, ages 15 to 16, in homes where there is not always enough to eat, are five times more likely to attempt suicide, compared with well-fed adolescents.
Interesting, though not entirely surprising.
But relevance?

72 posts some good news and this is responsive how?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:00 pm

That proves it.
:lol: :D
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:46 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:42 pm A good news story.
for all tyou smart guys'

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2002/0 ... low-grades

The Cornell researchers found that young people, ages 15 to 16, in homes where there is not always enough to eat, are five times more likely to attempt suicide, compared with well-fed adolescents.
Guess short stick doesn't much care for the folks in Waxahachie TX with their partial solution to the ventilator problem.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:01 pm

That proves it.
… and better looking!!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Dolly Parton puts her money where her ti!!ies are.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus ... story.html

Can we at least agree that this woman is one helluva American woman?!

Her comments in 2016: "I have not endorsed Hillary Clinton nor Donald Trump. I try not to get political but if I am, I might as well just run myself 'cause I've got the hair for it and they could always use more b##bs in the race." man oh man, I bet she was a knockout when she was younger...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:02 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:01 pm

That proves it.
… and better looking!!
indubitably :D
Bart

Post by Bart »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:50 pm
Bart wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:30 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:58 pm
Cooter wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:53 pm https://www.yahoo.com/news/already-had- ... 11866.html
Could I have had it and been asymptomatic?

Hillmann: Coronavirus is actually quite a significant spectrum of symptoms, from people who are entirely asymptomatic and would have no idea that they have it to people with very mild, cold-like symptoms – runny nose, congestion, sore throat – to people with more flu-like symptoms – high fevers, muscle aches, shortness of breath and cough. All the way up to people with severe illness, who we’re seeing in the hospital with respiratory failure, requiring ICU care. (Editor’s note: recent reports suggest that loss of smell and taste are also signs of Covid-19 infection.)
What percentage of carriers are asymptomatic?

Dr David Buchholz: Right now in New York, we’re only testing the sickest possible people. So we have no idea. However, there was a study in Iceland, which tested [a large segment of its] population, and 50% of the people who tested positive had no symptoms.

Are people who are asymptomatic also contagious?

Hillmann: A significant proportion of people who are totally asymptomatic are contagious for some portion of time. We just don’t know [for how long] at this point, because we don’t have the kind of testing available to screen for asymptomatic infections.
If I’ve had it, can I get it again?

Buchholz: There’s not been any evidence that anyone’s gotten it more than once. Someone with a normal immune system that can react to the virus and get better should have immunity for quite some time, at least a year, if not lifelong.

There have been reports out of China suggesting people are testing positive for Covid-19 a second time. Most scientists think it is an issue around the inaccuracy of the testing and not that people are having two separate cases of the disease.
On the latter, we really don't know how this will evolve. We are unable to build substantial immunity to the common cold, similar virus to CV we think, nor are we able to develop a vaccine. That's because it evolves.

Apparently there are already 8 variations that have been found of CV-19. No guarantee that they will each build immunity for the others.

Of course, that the dark perspective.
The flu virus mutates on average 10 -12 times a month. The current literature I have read indicates this virus mutates at 1 - 2 times a month. Most of the mutations that occur in both the flu and corona are in non coding nonsense regions. We seem to be able to generate a fairly effective vaccine against a virus that mutates at quite a different rate. From what I have read given these factors the ability to generate a viable vaccine is quite likely. You would expect the antigens to target the spike protein or some other highly conserved surface protein.
This why this forum is terrific!

Thanks, let's hope it works out.
This article from Popular Science talks about mutation in a pretty nice context: https://www.popsci.com/story/health/cov ... s-changes/
njbill

Post by njbill »

Wolf has put in place a stay at home order for all of Pennsylvania.

Return to “POLITICS”