All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

njbill

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by njbill »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:56 pmThey're examining ballots for hanging chads to see if the motion was approved or declined.
Hanging chads pretty clearly indicate voter intent. It’s those dimpled chads you have to worry about. ;)
old salt

Post by old salt »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:59 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:56 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:42 pm Florida cruise ship. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cr ... m-n1173576
The Broward County Commission is deciding whether or not to allow the ship to come into Ft Lauderdale.
They're examining ballots for hanging chads to see if the motion was approved or declined.
Trump should be able to allow the ship to tie up in Naval Station Mayport. Their pier can handle an aircraft carrier.
8000 ft runway to fly out the healthy, negative passengers.
Good place to try out the new Abbot point of care test gizmos.
These are mostly So Americans. The countries down there refused the ships to enter their countries, with their own citizens.

The Mayor really has final say so...he tells the Commission what to do. Broward and Ft Lauderdale are awful...the Mayor is a piece of work. Yes, Democrat. Yes, super liberal. It will be interesting to see what he ultimately says or decides.
300 Americans on the 2 ships. The cruise departed Buenos Aires on March 8.
Criminally stupid of both the cruise line & the passengers to embark on the cruise.
ggait

Post by ggait »

According to Vice President Pence, we are the new Italy, which means we are the new standard of failure in this pandemic.
I guess Pence is reading us here on this forum.

The death log graphs of the US look very similar to Italy's a few weeks back. Which means 300k deaths probably more likely than 100k.

Seems most valid to project on the basis of actual deaths. Metrics that are derived from cases are just so incomplete/suspect.

ggait wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:06 pm
It is going to take a pretty long time at the current death rate of 500 a day, to reach 100,000-200,000 deaths.
Say like 200-400 days.
With the curve of new cases starting to flatten out - it could mean that this will be a somewhat constant rate.
Let's assume our experience turns out to be EXACTLY the same as Italy's.

Italy is a couple weeks ahead of us. Italy's deaths were doubling every 2-3 days (which is where we are right now) a couple weeks back. Now Italy is doubling every 8 days as their curve gets bent. Let's assume they have one more week at that rate. And then two weeks at half of that (which is where SK currently is).

Italy is now at 12k deaths. So 25k one week from now, and 50k three weeks from now. And then they are mostly done with the crisis.

Italy has 60 million population, U.S. 325 million. 50k deaths times 5.4 pop adjustment gets you to 270,000 U.S. deaths. Over the next 4-5 weeks.
Last edited by ggait on Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:08 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:42 pm Florida cruise ship. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cr ... m-n1173576
The Broward County Commission is deciding whether or not to allow the ship to come into Ft Lauderdale.
They're examining ballots for hanging chads to see if the motion was approved or declined.
Trump should be able to allow the ship to tie up in Naval Station Mayport. Their pier can handle an aircraft carrier.
These are mostly So Americans. The countries down there refused the ships to enter their countries, with their own citizens.

The Mayor really has final say so...he tells the Commission what to do. Broward and Ft Lauderdale are awful...the Mayor is a piece of work. Yes, Democrat. Yes, super liberal. It will be interesting to see what he ultimately says or decides.
Criminally stupid of both the cruise line & the passengers to embark on the cruise.

Stupid but not criminal. Everyone has a right to be stupid, and you will not stop that.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:00 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:58 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:55 am Toronto has just announced that all public events are banned to June 30th. I’d say we’re in this for the long run.
I don’t see any end of quarantines for a month after a federal lockdown, whenever that happens. My biggest concerns are for the attrition of healthcare workers due to overuse and lack of essential supplies. Also for what will happen when food market workers start becoming sick which could lead to temporary shutdowns and reduced hours which would in turn lead to more panic buying. Civil unrest, especially in low income areas that lack services, could be troublesome made worse by reduced police, fire and EMT services due to illness.
my concerns as well.
My brother owns & operates a grocery store in MO. He's experiencing triple the normal sales volume.
The store also sells beer & liquor. He's also a guns & ammo dealer.
He has a group of guns/ammo friends/customers who have offered to guard 24/7 if needed.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

njbill wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:01 pm Thanks, gents. I missed that. I guess I am not watching enough TV. Better up it to 16 hours a day.

So the study is based on Chinese experience which may or may not be transferable to the US.

I focus more on the US death rate. Saw an article on CNN that the number of cases here could be 30-50% higher than those reported. So if you increase the current reported number of 187,392 by 50%, you get 281,088. Using current deaths of 3892, that gives you a death rate of about 1.4%.

I hope, and everyone hopes, the death rate will be as low as possible. Just trying to get my arms around this. Not trying to pick a fight. I’ll come up with an idea for that later in the day no doubt.😀
:lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:15 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:00 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:58 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:55 am Toronto has just announced that all public events are banned to June 30th. I’d say we’re in this for the long run.
I don’t see any end of quarantines for a month after a federal lockdown, whenever that happens. My biggest concerns are for the attrition of healthcare workers due to overuse and lack of essential supplies. Also for what will happen when food market workers start becoming sick which could lead to temporary shutdowns and reduced hours which would in turn lead to more panic buying. Civil unrest, especially in low income areas that lack services, could be troublesome made worse by reduced police, fire and EMT services due to illness.
my concerns as well.
My brother owns & operates a grocery store in MO. He's experiencing triple the normal sales volume.
The store also sells beer & liquor. He's also a guns & ammo dealer.
He has a group of guns/ammo friends/customers who have offered to guard 24/7 if needed.
Not surprised.
We need the food systems.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:14 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:08 pm

Stupid but not criminal. Everyone has a right to be stupid, and you will not stop that.
We'll have to ask our legal beagles when gross negligence becomes manslaughter.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

My friend and #1 governor in America, Ron DeSantis, has ordered all residents except for those working in essential businesses to stay home starting tonight, for 30 days. In other words, all Democrats must stay home.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm My friend and #1 governor in America, Ron DeSantis, has ordered all residents except for those working in essential businesses to stay home starting tonight, for 30 days. In other words, all Democrats must stay home.
Please keep all those food workers, grocery shelf stockers, pharmacists, etc working PB...you know, all those Dems. ;)

Good news though. Expect it to be through May.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:28 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm My friend and #1 governor in America, Ron DeSantis, has ordered all residents except for those working in essential businesses to stay home starting tonight, for 30 days. In other words, all Democrats must stay home.
Please keep all those food workers, grocery shelf stockers, pharmacists, etc working PB...you know, all those Dems. ;)

They would be Democrats but they don't vote. We suppress the vote down here however we can. :lol:

I am now awaiting apologies from JHU72, DocB, Red and all the others who criticize DeSantis but not Pennsylvania's Wolf, who still has not issued a stay at home order.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

For someone who bandies about that phrase "TDS" all the time, he sure has an obsession over how bad, stupid and worthless he thinks Democrats are.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Cuomo says only 20% of people who go on ventilators are able to come off and recover. Very sobering.

This is consistent with what I am hearing from my nephew who is an ER physician in the Poconos, one of the areas that serves as a bedroom community for NYC.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:31 pm

They would be Democrats but they don't vote. We suppress the vote down here however we can. :lol:

I am now awaiting apologies from JHU72, DocB, Red and all the others who criticize DeSantis but not Pennsylvania's Wolf, who still has not issued a stay at home order.
Wanna put a bet on how long it takes Wolf?
As I said, he's been catching a lot of flack from neighboring Govs.

My bet is if not announced today, it will be tomorrow.
Should have been weeks ago, all these guys.

I will say that some Govs like Hogan who did it officially Monday did get most of it done earlier than other states, just didn't issue a blanket order until this week.

But this should have come down from the Feds, nationally, much earlier.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Sorry bozo, JHU72 has never mentioned your governor. EVER. He gets no apology from me. He will however need to apologize to the people of Florida for waiting so long.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

According to Vice President Pence, we are the new Italy, which means we are the new standard of failure in this pandemic.

What

Daily Death rate
Italy 14 deaths per day per million.
Spain 17 deaths per day per million.
UK a little under 3 deaths per day per million.
US 1.2 deaths per day per million
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:41 pm According to Vice President Pence, we are the new Italy, which means we are the new standard of failure in this pandemic.

What

Daily Death rate
Is Pence wrong?

any chance you can reconcile this without help?
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:44 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:41 pm According to Vice President Pence, we are the new Italy, which means we are the new standard of failure in this pandemic.

What

Daily Death rate
Is Pence wrong?
Pence said we'd overtaken Italy in number of cases. Not that we were "the new standard in failure."
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Florida @GovRonDeSantis tis to sign order requiring residents to 'limit movements' outside home

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... iI.twitter
"I'm going to be doing an executive order today directing all Floridians to limit movements and all personal interactions outside the home to only those necessary to obtain or provide essential services or conduct essential activities," DeSantis said at a press briefing.
Finally at least some movement from the gov...after dragging his feet for a couple of weeks...

Return to “POLITICS”