All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

seacoaster

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by seacoaster »

"...let Mnuchin figure out where it goes...."

Someone really just...wrote this. It's hard to believe.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:48 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:22 pm
calourie wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:14 pm I think Trump is feeling increasingly bored by this whole shut down thing. Time to get back out on the golf course, regardless of the consequences. Maybe schedule a rally or two. You know, set the example on how to get back to normal.
And light a few more fires under the pandemic at the same time...

Fauci is privately urging not to let up on the 15 day thing:

Fauci Privately Warns Trump Admin Against Reversing Social Distancing Rules

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/fauc ... distancing
Unnamed sources told the Post that Fauci and his colleagues have warned the administration that health care workers’ vigorous response to the outbreak would be put in jeopardy if the social distancing guidelines were to be lifted once the period ends.
Yes, but it is pretty clear 15 days is not going to be enough - I know you know this.
It is absolutely insane that Trump and Congressional Republicans are considering easing social distancing measures by the end of the month. Absolutely. Insane.

Dr. Fauci, if anything, is recommending even tougher isolation measures.

Just the fact that Trump and Republicans are willing to go against the advice of health experts for what they perceive as political gain, at the potential risk of hundreds of thousands of American lives, shows how dangerous a threat Trump and the Republican Party pose to the American people.

Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a member of the president’s coronavirus task force, and other leading public health experts have told administration officials and Republican lawmakers that prematurely scaling back social distancing measures would hamper efforts to mitigate the virus and would devastate hospitals, according to the people with knowledge of the conversations, who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the private deliberations. More than 30,000 people in the United States have tested positive for the coronavirus, a number expected to significantly increase in the coming days and potentially overwhelm the nation’s health-care infrastructure.

But the push to reopen parts of the economy has gained traction among Republican lawmakers in both the Senate and the House, said two people with knowledge of the matter.

... Trump has begun canvassing his advisers, GOP senators and other allies about what his course of action should be, according to a senior administration official. He is worried about the impact of soaring unemployment numbers and severe economic contraction on his 2020 reelection bid, and fielded phone calls for much of the weekend from alarmed business leaders. He remains fixated on the plummeting stock market, is chafing at the idea of the country remaining closed until the summer and growing tired of talking only about the coronavirus, one person said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

Really?!? “[G]rowing tired of talking only about the coronavirus?”

Supporting Trump and the Republicans is tantamount to a betrayal of the American people.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:08 pm What 'moron' wouldn't know what the FDA is?
Much less one who ANYONE would consider electable for President.

I missed your post from earlier (I am trying to retrace these pages to be sure I've answered anyone; a fan gets very prickly when I don't :lol: )

I'd say Trump is that moron who wouldn't know what the FDA was. I've absolutely zero doubt he never paid even a minute's hard attention to the FDA prior to this.

I think you think I'm a Trumper, which I'm most certainly not. There's so much of him I do not like, mostly character-wise. He's not suited for this crisis at all. However, and there's 'always' a 'however', this guy always seems to find a way to survive; if he hangs in long enough, this whole crisis may end up lifting him up. You can say his voters are abetting him, but I think it's far more nuanced than that, plus disrespectful to his supporters, who are (If need reminding) your fellow countrymen.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:09 pm "...let Mnuchin figure out where it goes...."

Someone really just...wrote this. It's hard to believe.

We should indefinitely debate a bill while people go broke and businesses go bankrupt.

Someone really just...implied this.

Unfortunately, it's not hard to believe.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:49 pm What I actually do care about is when the Left reflexively targets ideas, publications, articles, and even people, simply because that person has postulated something that flies in the face of the Left's preferred outcome.
Fascinating that you see data analysis (with truly life-and-death consequences) through the lens of political ideology. It doesn't matter to you whether that data analysis was valid or not, whether people would live or die or not. What matters to you is that you perceive those who disagreed with it as being on the left.

And you profess to love the free market, but when free-market actors used the methods of the free market to bring about a desired outcome (with no involvement by the government at all), then you cried foul. Because apparently free markets only work when they deliver the outcomes that you want.

It is truly fascinating that you are apparently incapable of recognizing the internal contradictions of your own thinking.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:16 pm We should indefinitely debate a bill while people go broke and businesses go bankrupt.

Someone really just...implied this.

Unfortunately, it's not hard to believe.
Pass Pelosi's bill now!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

However, and there's 'always' a 'however', this guy always seems to find a way to survive; if he hangs in long enough, this whole crisis may end up lifting him up. You can say his voters are abetting him, but I think it's far more nuanced than that, plus disrespectful to his supporters, who are (If need reminding) your fellow countrymen.
I am not worried if he survives. My concern is for the citizens of this country and, more specifically, those who will contract the virus and become seriously ill as well as those who will treat them.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:13 pm Supporting Trump and the Republicans is tantamount to a betrayal of the American people.

For the neverTrumpers and Dems here, DocB is one of you. Just a casual observation.

The above is from a guy whose party's pride in America stands at 22% of their members (for their part, Republicans have always had significantly more pride in America than their counterparts, even during years when Democrats controlled the highest office in the land...see graphs in the link)

https://news.gallup.com/poll/259841/ame ... ystem.aspx
old salt

Post by old salt »

CU77 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:53 pm
Bart wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:48 pmlisten to your science advisers.
We've got people on this board who find it "compelling" that there's no airborne transmission of the virus,
Check the WHO's tweet of Jan 14th.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:24 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:17 pm I thought the right wingers on here were making the case that the virus is not a big deal...
You mean a hoax?

The virus may not, in hindsight, be as big a deal as we are making it, but for now, money is indeed a huge deal for blue collar workers, restaurant servers, cooks, nannies, and anyone else living paycheck to paycheck. In other words, 75% of Americans.

As the neverTrump and Dems score their gotcha points (cause that's what's important, right?, being petty and dismissive of whole swaths of Americans), real people are feeling real pain.

Give Mnuchin and Geithner the dough. Or Bloomberg. These guys will do fine with it.

(I realize that many Dems are incapable of compromising on this, I am just pointing out the best solution; what may happen without it is martial law, in which case your squad will get absolutely nothing)
bloomberg? really???

"Make the customer think he's getting laid when he's getting f@#$%d."
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

old salt wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:27 pm Check the WHO's tweet of Jan 14th.
Over two months ago. Try to keep up.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:22 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:13 pm Supporting Trump and the Republicans is tantamount to a betrayal of the American people.

For the neverTrumpers and Dems here, DocB is one of you. Just a casual observation.

The above is from a guy whose party's pride in America stands at 22% of their members (for their part, Republicans have always had significantly more pride in America than their counterparts, even during years when Democrats controlled the highest office in the land...see graphs in the link)

Yep. Docs a partisan, just like you. Annoying, isn’t it?

As for pride in America, Trump and His party think so little of America that their slogan and mantra is “make America great again”, telling Americans and the world that our country is no longer great.

Any other partisan drivel while you’re playing the grammar school “only my party loves America” nonsense ?

Something brilliant like Dems kick puppies and hate grandmothers?
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

maybe someone can enlighten me... why would facebook have 700,000 masks?
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

These people are about to try to lift social distancing. No way in hell are people going back to business as usual in one week. We were the last place to go social distancing, and not even the whole country, and we will be the first to exit.
🤡
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

This clown referenced Iowa, Nebraska and Idaho as “countries” with low numbers.
🤡
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

Peter Brown wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:06 pm
Whether or not you agree with Ginn’s arguments for, say, reopening schools, people like Ginn are asking some important and detailed questions about what we know about the progress of the coronavirus.

But it is unhelpful and hazardous to ignore the real, human costs of protracted lockdowns, which will require increasily strong justifications the longer they drag on.

Which if you allow yourself to read and not burn books, was his thesis.
Pete -- That Ginn guy's ideas and argument just suck. That isn't censorship by the lefties. It is the free marketplace of ideas, after review/reflection, deciding that the guy doesn't know what-the-fork he's talking about. And because of the bull shirt assymetry principle, it is a lot easier to create the bull shirt than to (rightly) debunk.

In contrast, this guy (a doc at Yale) makes a somewhat similar argument. But his arguments are just a lot better and (by the way) he's much more qualified. TBD what the marketplace of ideas will say about his take. FYI, I have no idea what Dr. Katz's politics are. But I'd note that his oped was published by the commie pinko NY Times (and later amplified by NYT's Tom Friedman).

So please retire the tired partisan ax grinding. If you want to engage over ideas, bring it. And if I disagree with you, it will be because of your facts or logics. Not your partisan slant.

Let me know your thoughts on Katz's views. I myself am quite concerned about the economic cost of curing this disease.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opin ... Position=2
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:47 pm These people are about to try to lift social distancing. No way in hell are people going back to business as usual in one week. We were the last place to go social distancing, and not even the whole country, and we will be the first to exit.
🤡
This is how you turn the screws on progress. You idly suggest something on the cusp of the 2nd to next logical chess move, so that you force the hand of the worker bees in their box to get the job done.

I am by no means suggesting we are close...but this is how leaders and people with vision tick. maybe some with ADD also. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Listening to tonight's rally from the WH - sure sounds like the current shutdown is likely going to end at the Federal level after 15 days listening to Trump talk. No Fauci tonight (who likely wouldn't agree yet).

Bill Barr is also addition by subtraction threatening prosecution of mega "hoarders".

And also let's not forget to riff on the press and b*tch about how they operate towards Mr Wartime Executive.
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trump thinks it’s almost time to go back to work. Dr Fauci is not present.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:35 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:22 pm

Yep. Docs a partisan, just like you. Annoying, isn’t it?

As for pride in America, Trump and His party think so little of America that their slogan and mantra is “make America great again”, telling Americans and the world that our country is no longer great.

Any other partisan drivel while you’re playing the grammar school “only my party loves America” nonsense ?

Something brilliant like Dems kick puppies and hate grandmothers?

Aren’t I the guy who tells his pals that Barack Obama was a “great” president? Also Bill Clinton?

Could you tell me how you define partisan again?

Return to “POLITICS”