All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

CU77

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by CU77 »

Jim Malone wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:00 pm Pass the bloody bill.
Which one? The House or the Senate?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Excellent article on how viruses work including CV. It will degenerate to something more akin to the common cold, if we wait long enough and don't die out as a species first.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Republicans blasted Democrats for trying to tack unrelated policies onto the bill. McConnell said Democrats were holding up the bill in order to add tax credits for solar energy and new emission standards for airlines.

“Are you kidding me?” McConnell said on the Senate floor. “This is the moment to debate new regulations that have nothing whatsoever to do with this crisis?”

Democrats confirmed that they made the proposals, but only in response to unrelated Republican proposals that they did not reveal. Democrats, meanwhile, are pushing back on language in the bill that would exclude nonprofits that receive Medicaid funding from receiving the new small business assistance. The exclusion would leave out Planned Parenthood, but also home health agencies, group homes for people with disabilities and community health centers.

“The last thing anyone should be doing in the middle of a public health crisis is restricting access to healthcare providers that women, people with disabilities, people with substance abuse disorders and more trust and rely on,” said Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash). “There’s absolutely no justification for this -- it’s exactly the kind of partisan, harmful politics we frankly don’t have time for right now.”
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... mulus-plan
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

CU77 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:14 pm
Republicans blasted Democrats for trying to tack unrelated policies onto the bill. McConnell said Democrats were holding up the bill in order to add tax credits for solar energy and new emission standards for airlines.

“Are you kidding me?” McConnell said on the Senate floor. “This is the moment to debate new regulations that have nothing whatsoever to do with this crisis?”

Democrats confirmed that they made the proposals, but only in response to unrelated Republican proposals that they did not reveal. Democrats, meanwhile, are pushing back on language in the bill that would exclude nonprofits that receive Medicaid funding from receiving the new small business assistance. The exclusion would leave out Planned Parenthood, but also home health agencies, group homes for people with disabilities and community health centers.

“The last thing anyone should be doing in the middle of a public health crisis is restricting access to healthcare providers that women, people with disabilities, people with substance abuse disorders and more trust and rely on,” said Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash). “There’s absolutely no justification for this -- it’s exactly the kind of partisan, harmful politics we frankly don’t have time for right now.”
The longer these idiots take the more suspicion they cast that this virus isn't as bad as they've portrayed.
calourie

Post by calourie »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-social ... 05278.html

It might prove a moral dilemma for some pro lifers to swallow a "let's just let a few more older folks die in the name of commerce" strategy, which looks to be creeping into Trump's predictably unpredictable psyche. We will know more in a week or so about all things coronavirus in the US, and what the president and congress are going to do about it. There is no magic wand here, and leadership will be sorely tested. Good luck and health to all, even those we disagree with, even profoundly. It will be up to us all to keep the peace among ourselves.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The R's have been pushing the anti-abortion / anti-planned parenthood BS since this whole thing started in the House. But that is legitimate. :lol: :lol: They don't play politics. :lol: :lol: This has nothing to do with this emergency.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

pretty good interview with WHO director bruce aylward (sorry if posted already): https://time.com/5805368/will-coronavir ... anization/
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
calourie

Post by calourie »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:37 pm pretty good interview with WHO director bruce aylward (sorry if posted already): https://time.com/5805368/will-coronavir ... anization/
Was going to add that link to this one that I posted above. Compellingly relevant

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-social ... 05278.html
Bart

Post by Bart »

My thought today, right now.......listen to your science advisers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

Please.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Bart wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:48 pmlisten to your science advisers.
We've got people on this board who find it "compelling" that there's no airborne transmission of the virus, because some guy on medium.com said so. And when medium.com, a private-sector publishing company, makes a private-sector business decision as to what they will publish, the same poster screams that the left is denying him free thought.

So good luck to us all, we're going to need it.
calourie

Post by calourie »

I think Trump is feeling increasingly bored by this whole shut down thing. Time to get back out on the golf course, regardless of the consequences. Maybe schedule a rally or two. You know, set the example on how to get back to normal.
njbill

Post by njbill »

calourie wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:23 pm Good luck and health to all, even those we disagree with, even profoundly. It will be up to us all to keep the peace among ourselves.
+1.

Once we get through this, we can all go back to doing what we love best: arguing with those with whom we disagree. :)

Shoutout, too, to the FanLax folks for this website which provides us with an outlet (and information) during these tough times.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

calourie wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:14 pm I think Trump is feeling increasingly bored by this whole shut down thing. Time to get back out on the golf course, regardless of the consequences. Maybe schedule a rally or two. You know, set the example on how to get back to normal.
And light a few more fires under the pandemic at the same time...

Fauci is privately urging not to let up on the 15 day thing:

Fauci Privately Warns Trump Admin Against Reversing Social Distancing Rules

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/fauc ... distancing
Unnamed sources told the Post that Fauci and his colleagues have warned the administration that health care workers’ vigorous response to the outbreak would be put in jeopardy if the social distancing guidelines were to be lifted once the period ends.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:37 pm pretty good interview with WHO director bruce aylward (sorry if posted already): https://time.com/5805368/will-coronavir ... anization/
Great quote:
Is there reason to be concerned about a second wave of infections in China?

Absolutely, and China is concerned. As we traveled around China, one of the most striking things that I found, especially in contrast to the West, as I spoke to governors, mayors, and their cases were plummeting—in some of the places they were down to single digit cases already—as I spoke to them and I said, “So what are you doing now?” They said, “We’re building beds, we’re buying ventilators, we’re preparing.” They said, “We do not expect this virus to disappear, but we do expect to be able to run our society, run our economy, run our health system. We cannot end up in this situation again.”
Will our leaders do this on the backside (whenever that may occur)?
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

i hope so- but i'd add, it's not just our leaders. sure it begins with them- but we need individuals to do the same, right?

all it takes is one bad actor...
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
a fan

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:19 pm

The longer these idiots take the more suspicion they cast that this virus isn't as bad as they've portrayed.
+1000.

Rent is due in 7 days. What happens when a few million people don't pay rent?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Boris Johnson just closed Britain.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU77 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:53 pm
Bart wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:48 pmlisten to your science advisers.
We've got people on this board who find it "compelling" that there's no airborne transmission of the virus, because some guy on medium.com said so. And when medium.com, a private-sector publishing company, makes a private-sector business decision as to what they will publish, the same poster screams that the left is denying him free thought.

So good luck to us all, we're going to need it.

I could not care less that Medium takes a post down; the article has been read now over 10,000,000 times on multiple outlets. I'm way more amused that the first instinct of the Left is to deny publication of 'thought crimes'.

In that article is a bunch of stuff I disagree with, there's also a lot of good info and it is a conversation well worth having. The Left don't want no convo, they got a culture war to win, cool.

Info suppression is not a great way to advance any solution, but you do you CU77!

FTR, here was Gint's summary:

1) pick the metric for success
2) increase measurement
3) open public spaces+schools
4) expand acute care capacity
5) focus on those most vulnerable

Man, off with that author's head!!!! How dare he seek a measured outcome! :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:32 pm
6ftstick wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:19 pm

+1000.

Rent is due in 7 days. What happens when a few million people don't pay rent?

ummm, martial law is what you do. No other choice.

Sorry to keep harping on this, but this is all on Pelosi and gang. The only way I will take that back is if you can convince me that equitable racial representation on boards, windmills, the postal service, and private union pensions should be part of a Cornoavirus package. I'm always willing to change my mind, so have at it.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

calourie wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:14 pm I think Trump is feeling increasingly bored by this whole shut down thing. Time to get back out on the golf course, regardless of the consequences. Maybe schedule a rally or two. You know, set the example on how to get back to normal.
That will happen. 8-)

Return to “POLITICS”