Roster Limits for lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
River Donkey

Roster Limits for lacrosse

Post by River Donkey »

Personally I feel roster limits is long overdue for lacrosse. Schools are abusing the integrity of the game as a way to facilitate higher enrollment numbers. “Heads in beds” programs are becoming more and more common. I can go on and on but more looking for other peoples opinions. I think a roster limit of 50 would be more then fine.
D1 baseball has roster limits, why not lacrosse??
wgdsr

Re: Roster Limits for lacrosse

Post by wgdsr »

River Donkey wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:34 pm Personally I feel roster limits is long overdue for lacrosse. Schools are abusing the integrity of the game as a way to facilitate higher enrollment numbers. “Heads in beds” programs are becoming more and more common. I can go on and on but more looking for other peoples opinions. I think a roster limit of 50 would be more then fine.
who needs to be protected from unlimited rosters?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

I don’t think anyone needs to be protected but to see some rosters of 75 and other programs struggling to get 30 isn’t good for the game. Plus factor in the guys on larger rosters who really have zero chance at every seeing playing time. Some probably would be better off going to a different school where they have a chance to play.
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:58 pm
River Donkey wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:34 pm Personally I feel roster limits is long overdue for lacrosse. Schools are abusing the integrity of the game as a way to facilitate higher enrollment numbers. “Heads in beds” programs are becoming more and more common. I can go on and on but more looking for other peoples opinions. I think a roster limit of 50 would be more then fine.
The non ACC/B1G programs? There is no reason why any program needs a 60+ man roster. A couple ACC/B1G schools routinely take 15-17 players in a recruiting class.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bar_down wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:24 pm
The non ACC/B1G programs? There is no reason why any program needs a 60+ man roster. A couple ACC/B1G schools routinely take 15-17 players in a recruiting class.
so then programs? and players can't go to school where they choose as a result, that's the end game?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

River Donkey wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:17 pm I don’t think anyone needs to be protected but to see some rosters of 75 and other programs struggling to get 30 isn’t good for the game. Plus factor in the guys on larger rosters who really have zero chance at every seeing playing time. Some probably would be better off going to a different school where they have a chance to play.
do you believe these players are unaware of the roster size and the difficulty factor of getting on the field?

and if no, is it better that someone else makes their choice for them?
smoova

Post by smoova »

This is an interesting perspective. If I understand the premise, limiting rosters would prevent schools from taking classes of >15 and, by extension, hoarding talented players (many of whom would likely never play meaningful minutes) away from other/"lower" schools.
Last edited by smoova on Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:36 pm
so then programs? and players can't go to school where they choose as a result, that's the end game?
It happens in other sports all the time. The goal is to grow the game not to allow the schools with tons of resources hoard all the players. If they didn’t have roster limits in football Alabama would have 120 four and five star recruits. It’s not healthy for the sport. The NCAA put the limits in after Johnny Majors took a 50 player recruiting class at Pitt and won a national championship.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

bar_down wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:53 pm
It happens in other sports all the time. The goal is to grow the game not to allow the schools with tons of resources hoard all the players. If they didn’t have roster limits in football Alabama would have 120 four and five star recruits. It’s not healthy for the sport. The NCAA put the limits in after Johnny Majors took a 50 player recruiting class at Pitt and won a national championship.
Did he win because he took 50 players or because he took Tony Dorsett? I didn’t realize he had a 50 player recruiting class. That’s insane.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ok. so not a rule change to benefit players, then.
what i think won't change anything, and we all have different visions of equity.
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:57 pm
Did he win because he took 50 players or because he took Tony Dorsett? I didn’t realize he had a 50 player recruiting class. That’s insane.
No one football player is good enough to carry a team to a national title singlehandedly. That Pitt team had a ton of future NFL players. Dorsett was clearly the best of the bunch though.
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:59 pm
what i think won't change anything, and we all have different visions of equity.
Why do you assume it doesn’t benefit the player? Imagine the horror of not being the 60th player on the Hopkins roster but being a contributor at Dartmouth.

Every year kids at the schools with bloated rosters transfer because they can’t travel with the team, let alone play. Or consider the kids who quit the sport because they get to their “dream” school only to find out they will never see the field.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bar_down wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:19 pm
Why do you assume it doesn’t benefit the player? Imagine the horror of not being the 60th player on the Hopkins roster but being a contributor at Dartmouth.

Every year kids at the schools with bloated rosters transfer because they can’t travel with the team, let alone play. Or consider the kids who quit the sport because they get to their “dream” school only to find out they will never see the field.
i get it. you would rather other people make that decision for them.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

majors was hired in '72?-'73 and that was the last year of unlimited schollys.
sherrill puts the guess at 76, but they didn't come out of camp with that many:
https://archive.triblive.com/news/class ... al-season/
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:26 pm
Tony Dorsett may have been the best college running back I have ever seen and OJ Simpson was the best pro I have ever seen.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:42 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:26 pm
Tony Dorsett may have been the best college running back I have ever seen and OJ Simpson was the best pro I have ever seen.
i would take earl campbell ahead of td (and even with hershel and with adrian peterson right there), but no one touches barry sanders at okie st.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:38 pm
River Donkey wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:17 pm I don’t think anyone needs to be protected but to see some rosters of 75 and other programs struggling to get 30 isn’t good for the game. Plus factor in the guys on larger rosters who really have zero chance at every seeing playing time. Some probably would be better off going to a different school where they have a chance to play.
do you believe these players are unaware of the roster size and the difficulty factor of getting on the field?

I believe they players are aware of the roster sizes but I think they are a little optimistic about their ability and somewhat misled about their chances of seeing time.
And no I don’t think it’s better for them for someone else to make their choice for them. But if there was roster limits they wouldn’t be getting recruited or have a choice to make.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

River Donkey wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:57 pm

I believe they players are aware of the roster sizes but I think they are a little optimistic about their ability and somewhat misled about their chances of seeing time.
And no I don’t think it’s better for them for someone else to make their choice for them. But if there was roster limits they wouldn’t be getting recruited or have a choice to make.
so someone else is making their choice. school presidents, in fact.
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:23 pm
bar_down wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:19 pm

i get it. you would rather other people make that decision for them.
I think that a fairly simplistic way of looking at it but you do you boo.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:01 pm
River Donkey wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:57 pm

so someone else is making their choice. school presidents, in fact.
No, my point was if they weren’t being recruited to play lacrosse they wouldn’t be interested in that school.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”