Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:12 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:48 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:10 am
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:27 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:51 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:44 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:41 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:32 pm forget that TJ may have been a rapist. he was a racist slaveowner. humans in bondage. forget the year. it's reprehensible.

arguments against???

we are all the same. (TJ didnt think so)

here's one in support of the above theory- ibram kendi defines antiracist: https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/2020 ... ntiracist/
An antiracist idea is any idea that suggests the racial groups are equals in all their apparent differences—that there is nothing right or wrong with any racial group. Antiracist ideas argue that racist policies are the cause of racial inequities.
g'head. tell ibram he's wrong.
… that gets no argument from me - FACT - he was a slaveowner.
even facts are often in dispute these days... :mrgreen:
… its pretty clear acknowledging Jefferson's flaws causes some folks to get their panties in a bunch.
grant too. :ugeek:
The Presidential List of Slave Holders

I was aware of a number of these, but some come as a surprise.
precisely why i use grant as an example! :)
I was aware of Grant, he had been in the news the past month. The one that really surprised me was Van Buren, a northerner who I remembered from American History as being anti-slavery, which it turns out he was but later in his life. It is really the northerners on the list. The Virginians were no surprise at all. :lol: I am surprised people are not making a much bigger deal over Jackson. He was not just a slave owner, but a slave trader as well.

At the end of the day, I think all of this is a tempest in a teacup. You are not going to see long-term removal of a lot of these Presidential statues, and certainly not removal of the significant ones in DC. That will be a bridge too far and I suspect the BLM folks are well aware of this. It is probably good however to rub our nose in it a little - educate white society as to the real legacy and history. I am sure this is news to a lot of white American society.
just posing a concept here- as i wasnt there- but there very well may have been a sliding scale (or at least varying degrees) of bondage. for example, i wouldnt be surprised if somewhere (let's say the north- or even the quasi north like delaware) there were workers who werent bonded but really couldnt go- where would they go, how, and get housing, work, income, food, etc. something like that. quasi-bondage maybe tantamount to actual bondage? i dunno, it's a question...

correct on jackson- the founder of the modern democratic party! a different discussion perhaps.

im ok with nose rubbing. what i'm thinking is, those who ask the difficult questions of the movement, will likely reveal that the movement is somewhat arbitrary and haphazard. and when a movement is arbitrary and haphazard...
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

More disorganized than haphazard and certainly not “arbitrary”.
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

There has to be an honest overall assessment.

No one is perfect. On CNN the other day, a black woman was passionately advocating taking down all memorials to Washington, Jefferson, etc. My wife wanted to ask her if she would also want to take down the MLK memorial, given this:
https://theconversation.com/im-an-mlk-s ... ght-118015

This article, published May 2019, has a picture of a King statue with the caption: "Will statues come down? Or will they remain, giving fodder to those who defend Confederate memorials?"
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

CU77 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:50 pm There has to be an honest overall assessment.

No one is perfect. On CNN the other day, a black woman was passionately advocating taking down all memorials to Washington, Jefferson, etc. My wife wanted to ask her if she would also want to take down the MLK memorial, given this:
https://theconversation.com/im-an-mlk-s ... ght-118015

This article, published May 2019, has a picture of a King statue with the caption: "Will statues come down? Or will they remain, giving fodder to those who defend Confederate memorials?"
it's an interesting point; because it asks why do we draw this line here for this person but not this person. like is said, could be viewed as arbitrary.

but also understand your comment about the overall assessment.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:52 pm mj via the undefeated:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/theundefea ... ilent/amp/
The best part: “The problems we face didn’t happen overnight and they won’t be solved tomorrow, but if we all work together, we can foster greater understanding, positive change and create a more peaceful world for ourselves, our children, our families and our communities.”
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

This is how it begins:

"As a proud American, a father who lost his own dad in a senseless act of violence, and a black man, I have been deeply troubled by the deaths of African-Americans at the hands of law enforcement and angered by the cowardly and hateful targeting and killing of police officers. I grieve with the families who have lost loved ones, as I know their pain all too well."

Published on July 25, 2016.
old salt

Post by old salt »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:55 am Which was my point. I thought I made that clear. It was not rape in any legal sense, what it was we really don't know, or likely ever will know. If I understand your point, you do not allow for any feeling between the two on Sally's part. Of that I am less certain. I don't think there was anything run of the mill in her just as there was not in Jefferson. Have to agree to disagree.
So jhu72's a hopeless romantic. Who knew ?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For you, I would expect you to watch the opening portion of the Accused and think "sweet, a love story" the way you have spoken about multiple women on these boards.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Don Lemon dropping 'tough love"...starting around 1:10

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
tech37

Post by tech37 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:22 pm Don Lemon dropping 'tough love"...starting around 1:10

That's great... really. Who is he talking to though? Who will listen? Is this just some sort of personal soul-search?
DocBarrister

Tucker Carlson’s Top Writer is a Vulgar Racist

Post by DocBarrister »

The top writer for Fox News host Tucker Carlson has for years been using a pseudonym to post bigoted remarks on an online forum that is a hotbed for racist, sexist, and other offensive content, CNN Business learned this week.

Just this week, the writer, Blake Neff, responded to a thread started by another user in 2018 with the subject line, "Would u let a JET BLACK congo n****er do lasik eye surgery on u for 50% off?" Neff wrote, "I wouldn't get LASIK from an Asian for free, so no." (The subject line was not censored on the forum.) On June 5, Neff wrote, "Black doods staying inside playing Call of Duty is probably one of the biggest factors keeping crime down." On June 24, Neff commented, "Honestly given how tired black people always claim to be, maybe the real crisis is their lack of sleep." On June 26, Neff wrote that the only people who care about changing the name of the NFL's Washington Redskins are "white libs and their university-'educated' pets."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/media/tu ... index.html

So, Tucker Carlson’s top writer is a vulgar racist.

Gee, I’m kinda, ya know ... sorta ... ummm ... well ... shocked ... yeah, that’s it ... pretty much ... uh ... really, golly ... more than surprised ... so ... errr ... shocked.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Good old Rochester NY is quickly turning into the wild west. It seems like every street corner block party is turning into a shooting gallery after 2am. The cops are taking a whole new approach. You get the call, finish your cup of coffee and your paper work from the last call. Five or ten minutes later you mosey on over to the shooting scene. By then the black life that does not matter has bled out into the street. The crowd is still ticked off that the police showed up and had the audacity to ask people questions like... who did the shooting? The meatwagon shows up and takes the next customer to the coroners office. The fire department washes the blood out of the street. All done here folks... as you were. Same old story, same old song and dance my friend... Some black lives matter, others.... not all that much. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:53 pm Good old Rochester NY is quickly turning into the wild west. It seems like every street corner block party is turning into a shooting gallery after 2am. The cops are taking a whole new approach. You get the call, finish your cup of coffee and your paper work from the last call. Five or ten minutes later you mosey on over to the shooting scene. By then the black life that does not matter has bled out into the street. The crowd is still ticked off that the police showed up and had the audacity to ask people questions like... who did the shooting? The meatwagon shows up and takes the next customer to the coroners office. The fire department washes the blood out of the street. All done here folks... as you were. Same old story, same old song and dance my friend... Some black lives matter, others.... not all that much. :roll:
1. They should be fired.
2. Too many guns with too easy access
3. Are there any anti violence groups working in Rochester?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I'll bite, just b/c you want something to do..... ;)

1. Should be fired?... they have been told to pull back by the elected democratic leaders. Why risk their lives to only be video taped, ridiculed, spat on, have their vehicle vandalized, and put into a compromising situation to be fired, sued or put on leave. They were fine doing it until told to stop.
2. Hey gun...shoot that guy, GUN...I said shoot that guy, GUN....why won't you listen. Oh that's right a person has to pull the trigger, silly me. Blame the gun. :roll:
3. You can contact them and ask how they can help fix this.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:46 pm I'll bite, just b/c you want something to do..... ;)

1. Should be fired?... they have been told to pull back by the elected democratic leaders. Why risk their lives to only be video taped, ridiculed, spat on, have their vehicle vandalized, and put into a compromising situation to be fired, sued or put on leave. They were fine doing it until told to stop.
2. Hey gun...shoot that guy, GUN...I said shoot that guy, GUN....why won't you listen. Oh that's right a person has to pull the trigger, silly me. Blame the gun. :roll:
You can set up a ministry
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:19 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:53 pm Good old Rochester NY is quickly turning into the wild west. It seems like every street corner block party is turning into a shooting gallery after 2am. The cops are taking a whole new approach. You get the call, finish your cup of coffee and your paper work from the last call. Five or ten minutes later you mosey on over to the shooting scene. By then the black life that does not matter has bled out into the street. The crowd is still ticked off that the police showed up and had the audacity to ask people questions like... who did the shooting? The meatwagon shows up and takes the next customer to the coroners office. The fire department washes the blood out of the street. All done here folks... as you were. Same old story, same old song and dance my friend... Some black lives matter, others.... not all that much. :roll:
1. They should be fired.
https://www.whec.com/rochester-new-york ... e/5782849/

Because this is the new norm for what happens when the police respond. Should this cop be fired? He was responding to a call for assistance and was punched in the face for his efforts. Why should he be fired? he was doing his job trying to find out who did the shooting. Maybe the azzholes who came up with the no snitch rule should be fired? You ever thought about that? I don't blame the cops one little bit if they choose to just let the situation come to its natural conclusion. Nobody seems to want them to do their job. What is wrong with them becoming nothing more than janitors in blue who clean up the mess after the game is over? The police can no longer win. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

# Some Black Lives Matter, Others Not So Much... :roll:
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:19 pm
1. They should be fired.
https://www.whec.com/rochester-new-york ... e/5782849/

Because this is the new norm for what happens when the police respond. Should this cop be fired? He was responding to a call for assistance and was punched in the face for his efforts. Why should he be fired? he was doing his job trying to find out who did the shooting. Maybe the azzholes who came up with the no snitch rule should be fired? You ever thought about that? I don't blame the cops one little bit if they choose to just let the situation come to its natural conclusion. Nobody seems to want them to do their job. What is wrong with them becoming nothing more than janitors in blue who clean up the mess after the game is over? The police can no longer win. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

# Some Black Lives Matter, Others Not So Much... :roll:
Did. He sit around ignoring a call? If so he should be fired. If not, he shouldn’t be. The people that assaulted him should be arrested. Do you believe otherwise? As for guns, I have no problem with gun ownership. We have a problem with the number and access to guns for young people. Less guns, the police don’t fee as vulnerable and perhaps we have less violence all the way around. Seems like a win / win to me.

http://clbb.mgh.harvard.edu/juvenilejustice/
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:46 pm I'll bite, just b/c you want something to do..... ;)

+1
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:12 pm

+1
You can also join the ministry.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”