Total votes: 48

azim21

Re: QF #1 Notre Dame vs #8 Georgetown Saturday @ noon

Post by azim21 »

DMV_Guy wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:22 pm
azim21 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:20 pm
random observer wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:15 pm
Hooz123 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:56 pm
NYlax222 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:53 pm Carc praises everyone, even the pretenders . He's watching the best coached, hardest working, most talented team. Historically great team. He could be saying alot more,
LOL - This is same exact script from 2022 when Maryland was the "best team ever" -- there can't be a "historical best team ever" every freaking year.
2022 Maryland actually was probably the best team ever though. This year's ND team is not on their level IMO, but if they continue to take care of business they will certainly deserve to be considered one of the best teams of the past decade or two.
Honestly leave that for others to discuss. All they gotta be is the best team on the field next Saturday and the following Monday.

Also, the Irish covered. I wonder how much money I could make fading teams that people here say “certainly will cover” 🤣
You would have made money, but you didn’t because you’re a keyboard warrior who’s scared of your own shadow. If Georgetown has a faceoff guy it’s a one goal game. It’s a bad beat, but that’s why they call it gambling.
I clearly struck a cord with this one 😅 I did make money today and will hopefully be making more with that ND National Champion ticket I placed back in March. I will have to be careful avoiding that spooky shadow next weekend, I hear it’s always sunny in Philly 😳

Also maybe you’re new to this sports betting stuff. A bad beat would be if the Irish got a goal in their last possession they didn’t need to make it 5 goals and cover. Not GT not scoring enough garbage time goals against the backups to cover
Last edited by azim21 on Sat May 18, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:18 pm IMO , I don’t think ND will face a better defense than GT rest of the way. Really do a nice job w slides & recovery.
Whut?
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

DMV_Guy wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:49 pm Credit to Notre Dame. They are an extremely good team.

Very disappointed that an injury at the X robbed us of a closer matchup. Just impossible to beat a team like that when they’re playing make it take it. Hoyas showed some heart at the end, but too little too late. Georgetown HAS to figure out the X in May, end of story.

Agree that the game would have been a closer matchup with Ball healthy. The thing is, to make it to Memorial Day, you probably need a guy at 60% and a next man up that’s at least around 50%. Gtown just doesn’t have that guy right now and hasn’t historically. Having to overuse your #1 guy leads to getting worn out over a long season.

Time to get on the recruiting trail. I have heard they are bringing in a promising FO recruit next year. Don’t know if Ball is going to use his last year of eligibility.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:22 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:05 pm Carc's unbridled gushing is extremely annoying...
...then there's his ongoing pimping for the PLL :roll:
He's like a pelican.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
chuckbuckthecanuck

Post by chuckbuckthecanuck »

Roll dodge,

I agree that the game today would have been closer if Ball would have been healthy. However, Corrigan is an excellent Xs and Os coach who is good at half time adjustments. Georgetown’s late goals made the score look better but the game was already lost by then.

I think that Warne is an excellent recruiter and Georgetown this year had strong talent; talent that was superior to PC, Villanova and Penn State but at this level of the tournament most teams have similar talent and it comes down to game management. Has Warne proven that he can out-coach the opposing coach in the NCAA tourney?

I agree with your comment about a good backup face-off man. I would suggest at least 2-3 because that position gets battered and kids get hurt and often it is an issue of individual matchups. Their first guy can smoke your first guy but maybe your number 2 can handle him well. Also, teams like ND have brutally aggressive ball hogs at ss and pole on the face-offs and winning the clamp does not guarantee that your team will end up with the ball.

Has Warne given sufficient attention to face-offs? While he recently has had some strong players at that position, it is not constant and GU is not deep at the face-off X which was quite evident today.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

chuckbuckthecanuck wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:07 pm Roll dodge,

I agree that the game today would have been closer if Ball would have been healthy. However, Corrigan is an excellent Xs and Os coach who is good at half time adjustments. Georgetown’s late goals made the score look better but the game was already lost by then.

I think that Warne is an excellent recruiter and Georgetown this year had strong talent; talent that was superior to PC, Villanova and Penn State but at this level of the tournament most teams have similar talent and it comes down to game management. Has Warne proven that he can out-coach the opposing coach in the NCAA tourney?

I agree with your comment about a good backup face-off man. I would suggest at least 2-3 because that position gets battered and kids get hurt and often it is an issue of individual matchups. Their first guy can smoke your first guy but maybe your number 2 can handle him well. Also, teams like ND have brutally aggressive ball hogs at ss and pole on the face-offs and winning the clamp does not guarantee that your team will end up with the ball.

Has Warne given sufficient attention to face-offs? While he recently has had some strong players at that position, it is not constant and GU is not deep at the face-off X which was quite evident today.

I don’t think any amount of X’s and O’s would have overcome the possession deficit today. And generally I don’t think the issue is coaching. I think Georgetown is always 1 or 2 guys short of having the personnel to make it Memorial Day. If you take the defense from 2022 and pair it with the offense from 2023 you have a final four (and maybe more) team.

Additionally, playing in the Big East tends to limit the chances of getting a good bracket in the playoffs. Gtown always seems to end up playing the National Champion or runner up in the quarterfinal. The exception was the first round loss in 2022 - and maybe that’s a place you can point to coaching.

But generally I do think Gtown needs one or two more studs to make it to Memorial Day. Particularly at attack. That’s what was nice about Schuberts emergence toward the end of this year. We shall see.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Good bracket? They were the #2 seed in 2022 and lost to Delaware in the first round.
rollwave

Post by rollwave »

Gtown is always seeded correctly (perhaps even favorably), but I don’t think it’s controversial to say they’ve had an unlucky draw the past couple of years in terms of the relative caliber of their QF opponents.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SkipPass wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:41 pm Good bracket? They were the #2 seed in 2022 and lost to Delaware in the first round.
Did you see he referenced 2022 or stop reading and prepare to respond before finishing?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
azim21

Post by azim21 »

Say what you want about todays game, but Kevin Warne is one of my favorite college lacrosse coaches. Love or hate the antics, the boys love playing for that guy.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:02 pm
SkipPass wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:41 pm Good bracket? They were the #2 seed in 2022 and lost to Delaware in the first round.
Did you see he referenced 2022 or stop reading and prepare to respond before finishing?
Yes sir.

Complaining about bracket seeding is about as soft as it gets. Cry more.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SkipPass wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:12 pm
Yes sir.

When did I cry? You’d definitely don’t read critically skippy. Perhaps you should throw a few more punches at your wife and kick your dog a bit more?
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

rollwave wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:48 pm Gtown is always seeded correctly (perhaps even favorably), but I don’t think it’s controversial to say they’ve had an unlucky draw the past couple of years in terms of the relative caliber of their QF opponents.
Which Quarterfinal team would you have preferred to play? The fact of the matter is the result would have likely been the same because of the inability to win face offs. This was the case in 21, 23 and now 24.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:14 pm
SkipPass wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:12 pm
Yes sir.

When did I cry? You’d definitely don’t read critically skippy. Perhaps you should throw a few more punches at your wife and kick your dog a bit more?
🤡
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

lol. Nobody’s crying about seeding. In fact in 2022 we had arguably the best path to the final four and blew it.

The point is that, generally, it’s harder to build up a high RPI coming out of the Big East.

This year, Georgetown was seeded appropriately. Arguably they could have been lower. They had the chance for a better seed if they had beaten Denver in the regular season. But those chances are fewer and further between in the Big East then they are in other conferences.

If you were referencing my post in good faith, instead of snark, you would have acknowledged that the overall thrust of the message was that Gtown just does not yet have the personnel to make the jump.
chuckbuckthecanuck

Post by chuckbuckthecanuck »

azim21 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:09 pm Love or hate the antics,
Azim, do you think that players on most teams enjoy playing Coaches who exhibit less antics? This may be an oversimplification but two coaching aspects take teams to the final four: recruiting strong players which Warne does and outreaching the other coach with Xs and Os. I would be happy to be corrected but when has Warne out-coached a team with better talent?

Respectfully, antics don't win games, One could argue the Thierney, Corrigan, maybe a young Petro had "antics" but they were in the final four and were victorious on Memorial Day.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

chuckbuckthecanuck wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:16 pm
I would be happy to be corrected but when has Warne out-coached a team with better talent?
Notre Dame this year? Tierney in the multiple Big East finals he won against him?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

chuckbuckthecanuck wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:16 pm
Azim, do you think that players on most teams enjoy playing Coaches who exhibit less antics? This may be an oversimplification but two coaching aspects take teams to the final four: recruiting strong players which Warne does and outreaching the other coach with Xs and Os. I would be happy to be corrected but when has Warne out-coached a team with better talent?

Respectfully, antics don't win games, One could argue the Thierney, Corrigan, maybe a young Petro had "antics" but they were in the final four and were victorious on Memorial Day.
Literally last weekend? They held a Penn State team that's Top 10 in the country in offense to like 2 goals the last 40+ minutes of the game.

Warne is one of, if not the best defensive coach in the country and has hired quality offensive coordinators to take care of that side of the ball. They're a consistent Top 8 team. Obviously the gap between where they're at and the Final Four is a chasm right now. 2021 they lost Reilly early and just got jumped by a hot UVA team. 2023 they were a Final Four quality team by the end of the year IMO but the early season cost them a high seed and they lost a competitive game to a great UVA. This year they weren't a Final Four team, they overachieved, Notre Dame was great.

Their year was 2022 and they missed the moment. Warne obviously deserves some blame for that, but acting as if he's just a caricature and hasn't proven his coaching chops at multiple points is silly
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

rolldodge wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:52 pm
lol. Nobody’s crying about seeding. In fact in 2022 we had arguably the best path to the final four and blew it.

The point is that, generally, it’s harder to build up a high RPI coming out of the Big East.

This year, Georgetown was seeded appropriately. Arguably they could have been lower. They had the chance for a better seed if they had beaten Denver in the regular season. But those chances are fewer and further between in the Big East then they are in other conferences.

If you were referencing my post in good faith, instead of snark, you would have acknowledged that the overall thrust of the message was that Gtown just does not yet have the personnel to make the jump.
Aside from the bad faith many folks assume things said are done in a “normative” manner (infused with value judgement) when often it’s communicated in a “positive” (what is or was) manner. Leads to all sorts of idiocy. This site is a case study .
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:48 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:52 pm

Aside from the bad faith many folks assume things said are done in a “normative” manner (infused with value judgement) when often it’s communicated in a “positive” (what is or was) manner. Leads to all sorts of idiocy. This site is a case study .
💯

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”