Fair Pay to Play Act

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Fair Pay to Play Act

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:15 pm How do you do the color for postseason blues?
Well played!

Now I hope you freeze your ass off.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Felt good when I typed it.

Wouldn’t mind freezing, have northern blood and it’s hot as hell down here where I live.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
LandM

Post by LandM »

afan,
It has been my experience that in the P5 that 5 guys per major programs have a shot every year to play on Sunday. Those 5 will be getting the sponsorships - if you do not think that is not gonna cause some issues in the lockeroom and on the field - I would hate to be that coach in that circumstance - I totally disagree with you. As you get lower by team then pick the other conferences it will just get worse. These guys got there through hard-work and ego's - IMHO you will be creating disunity.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LandM wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:47 pm afan,
It has been my experience that in the P5 that 5 guys per major programs have a shot every year to play on Sunday. Those 5 will be getting the sponsorships - if you do not think that is not gonna cause some issues in the lockeroom and on the field - I would hate to be that coach in that circumstance - I totally disagree with you. As you get lower by team then pick the other conferences it will just get worse. These guys got there through hard-work and ego's - IMHO you will be creating disunity.
Ah, so then you'd be ok with, for example, capping a CEO's salary?

After all, the disparity between the CEO and the frontline workers would create "disunity" in the workforce, right? ;)

Of course it will create disunity. Never said it wouldn't. It could easily rip apart college sports as we know it. I don't have a crystal ball.

And yet, shouldn't the free market sort out what a man's worth is? This thread has been a real eye opener. Surprised at how many believe the answer is "no".
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

And yet, shouldn't the free market sort out what a man's worth is? This thread has been a real eye opener. Surprised at how many believe the answer is "no".
I think the reason you see some many "NOs" is these are team sports, it is not a man's worth but a teams worth. Without the grunts in the trenches doing their job, the superstar no matter how gifted is not going to succeed. You think Pat Spencer is Pat Spencer without the ball. Guys getting him the ball like McNulty are part of Spence's success.
LandM

Post by LandM »

afan,
In the corporate world at least everyone (emphasis on everyone) is getting a paycheck, some benefits and hopefully a retirement plan.
Take Barkley, great kid btw. He is going to get the major sponsorship but without those 5 beefy guys in front of him and a QB who can do the reads, good luck. So he gets all the money and the other guys get nothing. Now Barkley being the kid he is decides to share with the beefy boys what about the second line of beefy boys - how do they get paid? They do in many cases allot of the heavy lifting - now how is that going to get shared by the group. You have 105 active players usually on a roster and only 5 are getting any benefit......cause for disaster in the lockeroom. Huge difference IMHO.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

a fan,

This is an extremely complex issue. Your antagonistic approach to others' opinions represents two-dimensional thinking. You are better than that.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... y-play-law

shashefski @ d.b.a. is on board. won't be long before the groundswell happens. unless saban still says no.
a fan

Post by a fan »

QuakerSouth wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:08 am a fan,

This is an extremely complex issue. Your antagonistic approach to others' opinions represents two-dimensional thinking. You are better than that.
I've said that it's complex about five times now. I've also said that I personally see both sides of the issue. Just pointing out my surprise at how many people think that an adults earning potential should be capped. I find that to be an odd opinion for an American to hold, is all.

And I've made all my points politely.

We're just having a discussion here.
a fan

Post by a fan »

palaxoff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 am
I think the reason you see some many "NOs" is these are team sports, it is not a man's worth but a teams worth. Without the grunts in the trenches doing their job, the superstar no matter how gifted is not going to succeed. You think Pat Spencer is Pat Spencer without the ball. Guys getting him the ball like McNulty are part of Spence's success.
Who said that McNulty couldn't get paid from this same free market?

If you're a ten year old kid and a Loyola fan, and McNulty runs a weekend lacrosse camp for $200, would you go?

Of course you would. Right now, McNulty can't do that. He's barred from doing it. Or heck, have the whole Loyola team run a camp.

I'd think that at the very least, it's worth discussing why we would want to keep McNulty from doing that, don't you think?

Taking food off someone's plate is a pretty serious thing to do, and shouldn't be done lightly, IMHO.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LandM wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:57 am afan,
In the corporate world at least everyone (emphasis on everyone) is getting a paycheck, some benefits and hopefully a retirement plan.
You've never seen dog eat dog "why is he getting the promotion, and not me?" or "why is he getting paid more than me" in the corporate world? It happens all the time, no?

Again, I'm not saying you're not right. But I'm not sure "locker unity" is much an argument as to why a man or woman can't put food on the table based on their work.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I'm surprised to see this from JB, he's always been opposed to players being compensated, that $280,000 education was plenty good enough in his opinion. I've heard him answer questions about compensation for players as stupid questions in the past. The NCAA is losing their grip and it's long past due the time they did.
a fan's example of the lax boys charging for a clinic, why is that different from the music student on scholarship charging for a gig at a local spot on a Friday night? No way the NCAA should have the kind of control on these student athletes when they're on their own time, no way.
https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketba ... rness.html
LandM

Post by LandM »

afan,
You named one of the two reasons I got out of the corporate rat race, the other was after laying off 500 people with two companies (I was the hatch it man) I thought it would be better to build something, even with all the struggles of owning a business than continue to tear something down;

If you honestly believe this has to do with putting food on the table - doubtful. Next time you are in PA or NY, let me know, I will walk you through the PSU athletic facilities they do not want for food, drink or clothing and that includes any sport affiliated with the school. My son who did play D1 lax had the same experience.

I think Dmac posted the correct article on what Boheim stated, I do not have an issue with players getting paid as long as everyone is getting something not the superstars only. But as Tebow stated once you start down that path you become a minor league team. The one and done in hoops is a pretty good example.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

LandM wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:21 am afan,
You named one of the two reasons I got out of the corporate rat race, the other was after laying off 500 people with two companies (I was the hatch it man) I thought it would be better to build something, even with all the struggles of owning a business than continue to tear something down;

If you honestly believe this has to do with putting food on the table - doubtful. Next time you are in PA or NY, let me know, I will walk you through the PSU athletic facilities they do not want for food, drink or clothing and that includes any sport affiliated with the school. My son who did play D1 lax had the same experience.

I think Dmac posted the correct article on what Boheim stated, I do not have an issue with players getting paid as long as everyone is getting something not the superstars only. But as Tebow stated once you start down that path you become a minor league team. The one and done in hoops is a pretty good example.
I don’t like college sports serving as a minor league. The NBA has one foot in and one foot out. I liked it better when players could jump straight to the NBA. Collective bargaining by NBA vets sold those guys down the river. This system will have many unintended negative consequences. Wait until the hood rat agents get involved and sow dissension.....
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

As I understand it (and admittedly only at a high level) the CA law is a pay for name, image, and likeness law, not a pay for services law. It’s going to all come down to implementation. I don’t think college players will have a salary provided a roster. I think the players on the posters and those whose jerseys sell on-line and at the bookstores will get a royalty. As for this causing locker room dissension - the players in the locker rooms already know who their team’s superstars are by whose images are already on the posters and which player’s autograph line is longer.

What I find interesting is the potential field leveling consequences of paying for name, image, and likeness. Will this change the ability for perennial top 20 schools in the revenue generating sports of football and basketball to stockpile athletes? Will a basketball player who’s not a sure thing “one and done” superstar choose a school like Butler over Duke because he’s more likely to be the face of that program’s products? What effect might a broader distribution of talent have on these college sports?
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

A bit more about the other States stepping up to this

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ecruiting/
a fan

Post by a fan »

I'm not talking about on campus food. I'm saying: plenty of these kids come from households that are in poverty. Just $500 goes a long way in those homes. You're saying: no, you can't earn that honest dollar from your hard work. That's a pretty serious thing to do to a man, don't you think?

If you guys are really serious about amateurism, locker rooms, and the team, isn't the solution obvious?

You peg the salary of every single person in the athletic department, and all the athletic conferences to what the players get, and not one penny more. The cash equivalent of room, board, books, fees, etc. that they players get.

Problem solved. You get locker room unity, and the kids aren't being exploited.

You think all those administrators and coaches would sign up for that?

Thank you for the kind offer of showing me around Penn St.. I might take you up on that some day.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

a fan wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm not talking about on campus food. I'm saying: plenty of these kids come from households that are in poverty. Just $500 goes a long way in those homes. You're saying: no, you can't earn that honest dollar from your hard work. That's a pretty serious thing to do to a man, don't you think?

If you guys are really serious about amateurism, locker rooms, and the team, isn't the solution obvious?

You peg the salary of every single person in the athletic department, and all the athletic conferences to what the players get, and not one penny more. The cash equivalent of room, board, books, fees, etc. that they players get.

Problem solved. You get locker room unity, and the kids aren't being exploited.

You think all those administrators and coaches would sign up for that?

Thank you for the kind offer of showing me around Penn St.. I might take you up on that some day.
Granted it's related to the topic of this thread, but what CA, FL, etc. are trying to do is pay for name, image, and likeness.

They (the NCAA, states, and big time college/university) don't care that the third string soccer goalie and the star QB both get a few $100 so they can go to the movies, it's so the star football and basketball players get $1000s because they're the faces on the billboards around town and, in the case of the REALLY big-time college athletes, the faces ESPN uses to advertise Sports Center.
a fan

Post by a fan »

I guess we have to wait for the NCAA to react, and decide what to allow and not allow.

Enjoying the discussion.
dawn patrol

Post by dawn patrol »

This law will grow quite a few of tentacles before it’s all said and done. How is the name on the front of the jersey going to be considered? If my likeness includes my school’s logo how many points do I have to pay my school or the NCAA? I could see the government utilizing tax law to cap income i.e. your scholarship will be considered taxable if your income exceeds a certain amount. It’s a simple concept but I think we’ll end up with a complex law, I keep seeing that scene when the Germans open the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfQWz4gVcP8[/youtube]

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”