Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
WashedUpLaxDad

Re: Recruiting

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

laxfanrs wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:53 pm Is it possible that many schools will not take a lot of 27s next year? Will the recruiting classes will be in the 6-8 range maybe even lower because many schools have taken a lot of 26s. Also I think compared to others the 27 class besides goalies is pretty weak.
I think all of this talk about roster size is overstated. The new rules only apply to a small number of schools and only a few (like Louisville) need to purge roster size. For those impacted, I think the answer won’t be taking fewer freshman, but more likely cutting juniors and seniors who don’t contribute.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

laxfanrs wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:53 pm Is it possible that many schools will not take a lot of 27s next year? Will the recruiting classes will be in the 6-8 range maybe even lower because many schools have taken a lot of 26s. Also I think compared to others the 27 class besides goalies is pretty weak.
I don’t think it will be any different than how it was before Covid. Teams usually took 6-8. Rosters were never this big. Seems last year it broke the trend with many teams taking around 10. Could be wrong but that’s how I see it. 2027s will be fine. If anything I think the few teams that are over the cap size when they go to it will cut 24s.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

What’s the general definition of hot bed? I see that referenced a lot in the recruiting discussion. Is it just NY/NJ/MD? Plus PA? VA/DC? MA? FL?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

lax410 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:26 am What’s the general definition of hot bed? I see that referenced a lot in the recruiting discussion. Is it just NY/NJ/MD? Plus PA? VA/DC? MA? FL?
Good question..to me it's any region that consistently produces good lacrosse players. Doesn't have to be super elite, maybe top 50-100 ish players over an extended period of time. There are established hotbeds like the northeast. NY,CT, MA, MD, NJ, PA, DMV area like you mentioned. Then there are emerging hotbeds in the midwest like Colorado, FL is an emerging hotbed, as well as California. Going forward i can see NC/GA starting to emerge as well. All these areas have produced D1 players who are either committed to or currently play at top 50 programs in the last 2-3 years.

In Short, i would say any region that produces top 50 program caliber players over a minimum of 3 years consistently.
njbill

Post by njbill »

My two cents.

The two main hotbeds for glax are Long Island and Maryland. I would put Upstate third. After that, there is a bit of a drop off. There are a lot of good lacrosse teams and players from some other areas (SE PA, NJ, SW CT), but I would not call them hotbeds.

I would not call any of the other regions hotbeds or even strong overall areas for lacrosse. That is not to say they don’t have some good teams and some very good players. Individual superstar talent can come from anywhere.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:49 pm
I don’t think it will be any different than how it was before Covid. Teams usually took 6-8. Rosters were never this big. Seems last year it broke the trend with many teams taking around 10. Could be wrong but that’s how I see it. 2027s will be fine. If anything I think the few teams that are over the cap size when they go to it will cut 24s.
WashedUp and Relax nailed it. Coaches aren't taking any fewer freshman. And from what i've heard lots of these top 10 programs who have 8 commits aren't done yet. The difference is that they will now have an easier time cutting juniors/seniors who are unlikely to play.

The new rules also give coaches some rationale with their ADs not to take kids of big donors.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

I doubt it. This just means the competition for top players will be more intense.

An examples from the top LI program. Typically every player on their A team and about half of their B team could play on a top 40 program. For 27s, some players on A will struggle to go to a top program and only the goalies on B team will likely go to a top 40 program.

What you are also seeing from the 27s is that some hotbeds are developing new "top" programs bringing more clubs in the mix. Looking at the final top 40 from last year, lots of non-traditional teams in the there, meaning more kids from non-traditional programs will likely get recruited high

4. Aces (Upstate)
6. Jesters (LI)
10. Steps CA (CA)
14. Triple Threat (NJ)
17. MD United (MD)
19. Gold Coast (CT)
20. CLC (NJ)
21. Team 180 (CO)
22. Coppermine (MD)
23. Liberty (LI)
30. Atlanta Storm (GA)
MDstateMan

Post by MDstateMan »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:00 am
I doubt it. This just means the competition for top players will be more intense.

An examples from the top LI program. Typically every player on their A team and about half of their B team could play on a top 40 program. For 27s, some players on A will struggle to go to a top program and only the goalies on B team will likely go to a top 40 program.

What you are also seeing from the 27s is that some hotbeds are developing new "top" programs bringing more clubs in the mix. Looking at the final top 40 from last year, lots of non-traditional teams in the there, meaning more kids from non-traditional programs will likely get recruited high

4. Aces (Upstate)
6. Jesters (LI)
10. Steps CA (CA)
14. Triple Threat (NJ)
17. MD United (MD)
19. Gold Coast (CT)
20. CLC (NJ)
21. Team 180 (CO)
22. Coppermine (MD)
23. Liberty (LI)
30. Atlanta Storm (GA)
I guess it depends what you define as "new" top teams. Aces & Jesters are new to the scene in every sense of the word.

MDU 2022 was a top-10 team and their non-HS teams are routinely in top-15. Team 180 has also had some high ranked teams.

Coppermine is "newer", def played big roll in TLC falling off the map.

To your point, I do think there are more club options showing in 2027. At 2028 you have Crush (MD) in the top-10, which is very much an outlier.
cdb

Post by cdb »

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about WLAX hotbeds. However, as a former football player, I can confidently make the following statements:

1. The outstanding athletes can come from anywhere -- e.g. five star football players.
2. The best players just under that skill set are best developed in areas (hotbeds) with great talent and coaching (hotbeds). In football we have areas such as Texas, GA, Florida, CA, NJ etc. where excellent high school football is played. I am thinking about TCU -- as power five football team, that recruits many of its players from high schools that play the same system that TCU does. A few years ago, TCU struck it rich with under recruited players and went to the NC game.
3. Five stars in high school may or may not be five stars in college where the competition is so fierce. Only about 1/2 of the football 5 stars make significant contributions to the team. This why the current NIL situation is such a crapshoot. Moreover, the athlete is on their own without the parental guidance or mentor guidance they had in high school. They will get some counsel and guidance about their lives from the coaches, but the athlete will not get significant personal guidance as they did from parents.
4. Starting upper classmen are to be highly respected. They are not just people the athlete is competing against -- in many cases they act as assistant coaches. They will frequently meet separate from the coaches (especially true at the top schools) and the athlete is expecting to be there. The athlete should earn their respect on the field and avoid confrontation off the field. The coaches listen to the players they trust the most.
5. College LAX is one of the most demanding sports -- we see the players huddling up to discuss strategy after each goal. You don't see that anywhere else -- but to do that players have to really understand the game -- and that usually comes from watching tape and extra meetings with your unit. With classes, homework, travel, and extra meetings, it is difficult to do when so many of your non-playing classmates get so much more free time. When I played it was class, football field, watching tape and meetings, dinner, and then study hall. Bed check at 10:00 pm on game eve's (Friday night was a significant date and party night -- we couldn't go). And then there is the travel. None of these schools make it easier in the classroom if you are an athlete -- if anything the teachers want to show the rest of the class that you do not get special treatment.

As parents, you know your child -- you know what makes them perform in all areas. Select a school and a coach that will give them the greatest chance of success. The glories of WLAX seem to be limited to their time in college with a few opportunities after college to the highly successful. I read recently that AAW recently became the highest paid coach in college -- I hope that honor will be short-lived as there are many great coaches -- but one of her recent graduates started her career at a higher salary. That's a shame, but that's a truth. Go for the degree that gives the athlete the best chance of a successful career. Also understand, that unless the athlete is planning to attend a grad school in another area, the greatest opportunities at most schools are in the area of that school -- that is where the network is the greatest -- I am not talking about going to Harvard where the degree sells everywhere -- yes, all these schools are recognized as excellent academic institutions, but if you want to work in Boston versus the Research Triangle, all other things being equal in your decision criteria, it is obvious what area of the country would be best for your personal goals.
COlaxdad

Post by COlaxdad »

The reality is, glax is a means to get into the schools and have some money kicked in to help pay for it. Very few girls are planning or want to come out and continue with lacrosse as a profession, there is no money and the opportunities are few.
COlaxdad

Post by COlaxdad »

MDstateMan wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:20 am

4. Aces (Upstate)
6. Jesters (LI)
10. Steps CA (CA)
14. Triple Threat (NJ)
17. MD United (MD)
19. Gold Coast (CT)
20. CLC (NJ)
21. Team 180 (CO)
22. Coppermine (MD)
23. Liberty (LI)
30. Atlanta Storm (GA)
I guess it depends what you define as "new" top teams. Aces & Jesters are new to the scene in every sense of the word.

MDU 2022 was a top-10 team and their non-HS teams are routinely in top-15. Team 180 has also had some high ranked teams.

To your point, I do think there are more club options showing in 2027. At 2028 you have Crush (MD) in the top-10, which is very much an outlier.
I think the landscape will change a lot in the near future. Take Team 180 for example, half of the age groups folded and they are now merging with Urban Elite and will build "super" teams pulling all the talent into one team. Some areas outside of "hotbeds" are having difficulty keeping up numbers because other sports are pulling from it. In our area, flag football and the rise in field hockey interest is definitely hurting lacrosse. The highschools are having trouble finding coaches and filling teams because of how fast flag football grew and now being more than seasonal with year round training.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

COlaxdad wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:53 am

4. Aces (Upstate)
6. Jesters (LI)
10. Steps CA (CA)
14. Triple Threat (NJ)
17. MD United (MD)
19. Gold Coast (CT)
20. CLC (NJ)
21. Team 180 (CO)
22. Coppermine (MD)
23. Liberty (LI)
30. Atlanta Storm (GA)

I think the landscape will change a lot in the near future. Take Team 180 for example, half of the age groups folded and they are now merging with Urban Elite and will build "super" teams pulling all the talent into one team. Some areas outside of "hotbeds" are having difficulty keeping up numbers because other sports are pulling from it. In our area, flag football and the rise in field hockey interest is definitely hurting lacrosse. The highschools are having trouble finding coaches and filling teams because of how fast flag football grew and now being more than seasonal with year round training.
Didn't know that about team 180, but makes sense. I know for some age groups a majority of players were also on second teams like Alliance, MadDogWest, etc. Would make sense if this keeps more girls focused on the program.
COlaxdad

Post by COlaxdad »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:27 pm

4. Aces (Upstate)
6. Jesters (LI)
10. Steps CA (CA)
14. Triple Threat (NJ)
17. MD United (MD)
19. Gold Coast (CT)
20. CLC (NJ)
21. Team 180 (CO)
22. Coppermine (MD)
23. Liberty (LI)
30. Atlanta Storm (GA)

Didn't know that about team 180, but makes sense. I know for some age groups a majority of players were also on second teams like Alliance, MadDogWest, etc. Would make sense if this keeps more girls focused on the program.
Good and bad, it keeps the "top" girls interested and competitive with the top 25 teams, but then it doesn't give the other girls a home and they end up leaving lacrosse. We are already seeing it a lot because everyone wants to play on teams they feel they can win on, but if options are few, then they will migrate to other sports and activities. It ultimately hurts the sport long term for a short term gain. Combine that with the insane prices to play club and all the other adjunct activity required now, the incentive for parents is low.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

COlaxdad wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:48 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:27 pm

4. Aces (Upstate)
6. Jesters (LI)
10. Steps CA (CA)
14. Triple Threat (NJ)
17. MD United (MD)
19. Gold Coast (CT)
20. CLC (NJ)
21. Team 180 (CO)
22. Coppermine (MD)
23. Liberty (LI)
30. Atlanta Storm (GA)

Good and bad, it keeps the "top" girls interested and competitive with the top 25 teams, but then it doesn't give the other girls a home and they end up leaving lacrosse. We are already seeing it a lot because everyone wants to play on teams they feel they can win on, but if options are few, then they will migrate to other sports and activities. It ultimately hurts the sport long term for a short term gain. Combine that with the insane prices to play club and all the other adjunct activity required now, the incentive for parents is low.
Does 3D Colorado still exist? I remember for my older girls that was a legit top 30 club.

The only thing I know about urban elite was I once saw them running a zone at the 5th grade level.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:17 am
lax410 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:26 am What’s the general definition of hot bed? I see that referenced a lot in the recruiting discussion. Is it just NY/NJ/MD? Plus PA? VA/DC? MA? FL?
Good question..to me it's any region that consistently produces good lacrosse players. Doesn't have to be super elite, maybe top 50-100 ish players over an extended period of time. There are established hotbeds like the northeast. NY,CT, MA, MD, NJ, PA, DMV area like you mentioned. Then there are emerging hotbeds in the midwest like Colorado, FL is an emerging hotbed, as well as California. Going forward i can see NC/GA starting to emerge as well. All these areas have produced D1 players who are either committed to or currently play at top 50 programs in the last 2-3 years.

In Short, i would say any region that produces top 50 program caliber players over a minimum of 3 years consistently.
Because I am stuck in an airport due to storms, I pulled #s for the 2025 recruiting class by state. These are number of commits to top 50 programs. (Obviously the definition of top 50 changes year by year, but this should be pretty accurate over time).

Pretty big drop off after NY/PA/PA/NJ and VA.

NY 108
PA 58
MD 58
NJ 42
MA 39
VA 32
CT 19
CA 17
GA 12
IL 12
NC 11
FL 10
CO 9
TX 9
OH 7
OR 6
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:22 pm

Because I am stuck in an airport due to storms, I pulled #s for the 2025 recruiting class by state. These are number of commits to top 50 programs. (Obviously the definition of top 50 changes year by year, but this should be pretty accurate over time).

NY 108
PA 58
MD 58
NJ 42
MA 39
VA 32
CT 19
CA 17
GA 12
IL 12
NC 11
FL 10
CO 9
TX 9
OH 7
OR 6
That had to be a lot of work.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:23 pm

NY 108
PA 58
MD 58
NJ 42
MA 39
VA 32
CT 19
CA 17
GA 12
IL 12
NC 11
FL 10
CO 9
TX 9
OH 7
OR 6
Under 10 minutes. Pivot Tables are your friends. Easy dump from Laxnumbers to excel and dumped top 50 schools in 2023 into a table and then just a lookup and pivot table
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:53 pm

NY 108
PA 58
MD 58
NJ 42
MA 39
VA 32
CT 19
CA 17
GA 12
IL 12
NC 11
FL 10
CO 9
TX 9
OH 7
OR 6
Under 10 minutes. Pivot Tables are your friends. Easy dump from Laxnumbers to excel and dumped top 50 schools in 2023 into a table and then just a lookup and pivot table
Looking ahead to 26s, CA is already ahead of their 25 number. Looks to be down CT, IL and OH. Solid year for GA.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:58 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:53 pm

NY 108
PA 58
MD 58
NJ 42
MA 39
VA 32
CT 19
CA 17
GA 12
IL 12
NC 11
FL 10
CO 9
TX 9
OH 7
OR 6
Looking ahead to 26s, CA is already ahead of their 25 number. Looks to be down CT, IL and OH. Solid year for GA.
Max. I felt bad for you. Have no idea what you’re talking about. But I see it was easier than I thought. Have a safe flight. Funny thing is 25-50 2023 probably a lot different from 2024. Gonna be interesting to see if that trend continues.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Now that bulk of top players have committed, lets look at some winners and losers. Teams like UNC, Maryland, Florida, BC, Notre Dame,Stanford, etc have already been discussed at length. Wanna focus on some teams that i think did well who haven't been talked about.

Winners

Navy: They do a great job recruiting every year. Lots of solid, really good athletic girls who have a never ending motor. No different this year. Kaitlyn Hill is a nice attacker from Maryland.

Florida State: This is a really good class for a first time program. Not too far off from Clemson's very first recruiting class, which was pretty impressive. They got one of the best goalies in the class in Hadley Booth. Also landed a couple of players from the talent rich YJ Manning and NXT club programs and Olivia DeSimone, who was a defensive stalwart for a really good Sayville team in 2024

Denver: A great program that no one really talks about. Has quietly stacked good recruiting classes back to back to back. And it shows in their on field performance. 2026 class doesn't have the quantity but it has quality, seems like they were more selective. Meredith Estepp is a rangy athletic middie who will thrive in Denver's system.

UVA: I like what this program is doing and where they are going. For the longest time we wondered why UVA wasn't better and constantly under performed for a school of it's stature and resources. Sonia LaMonica was a fantastic hire. She has breathed new life into the program and recruits are taking notice. Pulled a great coup landing the packaged deal of the Findora sisters. Regan Backer is a top 25 in this class and that was a great get as well. They had a strong class last year too. That plus the strong play on the field last year, i think this program is on the rise.

Dartmouth: They are wiping the floor with everyone in the ivies in terms of recruiting. Only Ivy school to land a top 25 player in back to back years and they landed 3 top 50 players in 2026.

Michigan: Landed a top tier attacker in Julie Shaughnessy and another top 25 middie in Abbie Rattay. They needed more offense and they got it. They've already shown a lot of growth as a program and i expect that to continue

Losers

Virginia Tech: seems like they are stuck in a cycle of mediocrity. All their good players transfer out after 2 or 3 years. and they are not recruiting at a level to adequately replace them.

Ohio State: Low expectations to begin with but 2 total commitments for the 2026 class? that's horrible. What's the reason? They have no excuse to not be competing with Michigan for recruits and talent coming out of Colorado and the midwest.

Louisville: if you're an ACC team and your recruiting class is on par with Kennesaw State, Liberty, and UAlbany, you're in trouble

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”