Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
COlaxdad

Re: Recruiting

Post by COlaxdad »

[/quote]

Does 3D Colorado still exist? I remember for my older girls that was a legit top 30 club.

The only thing I know about urban elite was I once saw them running a zone at the 5th grade level.
[/quote]

No, that went belly up just like True did. The Directors and front office people did start other clubs- Concept (all former 3D) will be a player in the '28 and younger. The UE '29 and 28 are likely going to be in the top 25 this year if not top 15. They are very good. The old 3d National Director is now building the first D1 program at Austin Peay that will kick off in the 2026 season so they are recruiting to build the entire team right now.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:24 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:58 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:53 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:23 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:22 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:17 am
lax410 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:26 am What’s the general definition of hot bed? I see that referenced a lot in the recruiting discussion. Is it just NY/NJ/MD? Plus PA? VA/DC? MA? FL?
Good question..to me it's any region that consistently produces good lacrosse players. Doesn't have to be super elite, maybe top 50-100 ish players over an extended period of time. There are established hotbeds like the northeast. NY,CT, MA, MD, NJ, PA, DMV area like you mentioned. Then there are emerging hotbeds in the midwest like Colorado, FL is an emerging hotbed, as well as California. Going forward i can see NC/GA starting to emerge as well. All these areas have produced D1 players who are either committed to or currently play at top 50 programs in the last 2-3 years.

In Short, i would say any region that produces top 50 program caliber players over a minimum of 3 years consistently.
Because I am stuck in an airport due to storms, I pulled #s for the 2025 recruiting class by state. These are number of commits to top 50 programs. (Obviously the definition of top 50 changes year by year, but this should be pretty accurate over time).

Pretty big drop off after NY/PA/PA/NJ and VA.

NY 108
PA 58
MD 58
NJ 42
MA 39
VA 32
CT 19
CA 17
GA 12
IL 12
NC 11
FL 10
CO 9
TX 9
OH 7
OR 6
That had to be a lot of work.
Under 10 minutes. Pivot Tables are your friends. Easy dump from Laxnumbers to excel and dumped top 50 schools in 2023 into a table and then just a lookup and pivot table
Looking ahead to 26s, CA is already ahead of their 25 number. Looks to be down CT, IL and OH. Solid year for GA.
Max. I felt bad for you. Have no idea what you’re talking about. But I see it was easier than I thought. Have a safe flight. Funny thing is 25-50 2023 probably a lot different from 2024. Gonna be interesting to see if that trend continues.
I could easily run again with 2024 26-50. Honestly doubt it will materially change the results.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:54 pm Now that bulk of top players have committed, lets look at some winners and losers. Teams like UNC, Maryland, Florida, BC, Notre Dame,Stanford, etc have already been discussed at length. Wanna focus on some teams that i think did well who haven't been talked about.

Winners

Navy: They do a great job recruiting every year. Lots of solid, really good athletic girls who have a never ending motor. No different this year. Kaitlyn Hill is a nice attacker from Maryland.

Florida State: This is a really good class for a first time program. Not too far off from Clemson's very first recruiting class, which was pretty impressive. They got one of the best goalies in the class in Hadley Booth. Also landed a couple of players from the talent rich YJ Manning and NXT club programs and Olivia DeSimone, who was a defensive stalwart for a really good Sayville team in 2024

Denver: A great program that no one really talks about. Has quietly stacked good recruiting classes back to back to back. And it shows in their on field performance. 2026 class doesn't have the quantity but it has quality, seems like they were more selective. Meredith Estepp is a rangy athletic middie who will thrive in Denver's system.

UVA: I like what this program is doing and where they are going. For the longest time we wondered why UVA wasn't better and constantly under performed for a school of it's stature and resources. Sonia LaMonica was a fantastic hire. She has breathed new life into the program and recruits are taking notice. Pulled a great coup landing the packaged deal of the Findora sisters. Regan Backer is a top 25 in this class and that was a great get as well. They had a strong class last year too. That plus the strong play on the field last year, i think this program is on the rise.

Dartmouth: They are wiping the floor with everyone in the ivies in terms of recruiting. Only Ivy school to land a top 25 player in back to back years and they landed 3 top 50 players in 2026.

Michigan: Landed a top tier attacker in Julie Shaughnessy and another top 25 middie in Abbie Rattay. They needed more offense and they got it. They've already shown a lot of growth as a program and i expect that to continue

Losers

Virginia Tech: seems like they are stuck in a cycle of mediocrity. All their good players transfer out after 2 or 3 years. and they are not recruiting at a level to adequately replace them.

Ohio State: Low expectations to begin with but 2 total commitments for the 2026 class? that's horrible. What's the reason? They have no excuse to not be competing with Michigan for recruits and talent coming out of Colorado and the midwest.

Louisville: if you're an ACC team and your recruiting class is on par with Kennesaw State, Liberty, and UAlbany, you're in trouble
Agree Michigan is on the way up. Been doing well for a couple years. I think Schaller has the potential to make a massive impact this season.

FSU: Agree with your comments about their 26 class, but assumed they would do better for 25 flips.

Denver: Good callout for Denver; great example of a coach recruiting to a system focusing on speed, speed and then some more speed.

From what I'm hearing, there will likely be alot of movement in the January transfer window. Would expect FSU, Ohio State and a few others to make a move here.

Surprised you didn't put ND under losers. Outside of Rassass, this doesn't look like a recruiting class for a top 10 class.

I also would have called out Florida as a winner, definitely a top 6 or 7 class which should help. Stanford also with a great class.

I'd also put Georgetown as a winner as well. Not a great class by any stretch, but still better than any class Ricky ever pulled... and all done without a coach in place until the second week of September. I'd argue Teagan Cook was the best recruit who didn't go to a top 25 school.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:42 am
Kleizaster wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:54 pm Now that bulk of top players have committed, lets look at some winners and losers. Teams like UNC, Maryland, Florida, BC, Notre Dame,Stanford, etc have already been discussed at length. Wanna focus on some teams that i think did well who haven't been talked about.

Winners

Navy: They do a great job recruiting every year. Lots of solid, really good athletic girls who have a never ending motor. No different this year. Kaitlyn Hill is a nice attacker from Maryland.

Florida State: This is a really good class for a first time program. Not too far off from Clemson's very first recruiting class, which was pretty impressive. They got one of the best goalies in the class in Hadley Booth. Also landed a couple of players from the talent rich YJ Manning and NXT club programs and Olivia DeSimone, who was a defensive stalwart for a really good Sayville team in 2024

Denver: A great program that no one really talks about. Has quietly stacked good recruiting classes back to back to back. And it shows in their on field performance. 2026 class doesn't have the quantity but it has quality, seems like they were more selective. Meredith Estepp is a rangy athletic middie who will thrive in Denver's system.

UVA: I like what this program is doing and where they are going. For the longest time we wondered why UVA wasn't better and constantly under performed for a school of it's stature and resources. Sonia LaMonica was a fantastic hire. She has breathed new life into the program and recruits are taking notice. Pulled a great coup landing the packaged deal of the Findora sisters. Regan Backer is a top 25 in this class and that was a great get as well. They had a strong class last year too. That plus the strong play on the field last year, i think this program is on the rise.

Dartmouth: They are wiping the floor with everyone in the ivies in terms of recruiting. Only Ivy school to land a top 25 player in back to back years and they landed 3 top 50 players in 2026.

Michigan: Landed a top tier attacker in Julie Shaughnessy and another top 25 middie in Abbie Rattay. They needed more offense and they got it. They've already shown a lot of growth as a program and i expect that to continue

Losers

Virginia Tech: seems like they are stuck in a cycle of mediocrity. All their good players transfer out after 2 or 3 years. and they are not recruiting at a level to adequately replace them.

Ohio State: Low expectations to begin with but 2 total commitments for the 2026 class? that's horrible. What's the reason? They have no excuse to not be competing with Michigan for recruits and talent coming out of Colorado and the midwest.

Louisville: if you're an ACC team and your recruiting class is on par with Kennesaw State, Liberty, and UAlbany, you're in trouble
Agree Michigan is on the way up. Been doing well for a couple years. I think Schaller has the potential to make a massive impact this season.

FSU: Agree with your comments about their 26 class, but assumed they would do better for 25 flips.

Denver: Good callout for Denver; great example of a coach recruiting to a system focusing on speed, speed and then some more speed.

From what I'm hearing, there will likely be alot of movement in the January transfer window. Would expect FSU, Ohio State and a few others to make a move here.

Surprised you didn't put ND under losers. Outside of Rassass, this doesn't look like a recruiting class for a top 10 class.

I also would have called out Florida as a winner, definitely a top 6 or 7 class which should help. Stanford also with a great class.

I'd also put Georgetown as a winner as well. Not a great class by any stretch, but still better than any class Ricky ever pulled... and all done without a coach in place until the second week of September. I'd argue Teagan Cook was the best recruit who didn't go to a top 25 school.

Agree. Awesome job with FSU getting the goalie but I think they whiffed with the 25s which quite frankly I was surprised. I thought they were gonna grab quite a few kids that I know that were passed on by the top 25 teams for one reason or another. One main reason is size and I see from the early stages that was something FSU was trying to do as well.
SweeptheLeg

Post by SweeptheLeg »

Winners

Losers

Agree with Louisville and VT. Those two programs will battle it out with Pitt for the bottom of the ACC. Their recruiting classes to date are not knocking anyone’s socks off. I’m not surprised Louisville struggles to attract talent, but am surprised that VT doesn’t recruit better.

VT lost a lot of experience in the transfer portal this year. That team had a lot of turmoil last season, which led to the exodus. Skiera lost the locker room and the program is not progressing. They lack speed and the athletes to compete in the ACC. I would not be surprised to see them finish last in the ACC this season.

My daughter's friend who played at Louisville did not have great things to say about her experience. I don’t know all of the details but know safety was a concern. This was one person’s experience but it was enough for us to scratch them off the list.

I don’t see either program making great strides. Teeter seems entrenched at Louisville but Skiera may be on shaky ground. With LaMonica elevating UVA in her first year and with Klaes consistently having Top 20 teams at JMU I don’t see how VT doesn’t make a change if they finish at the bottom of the ACC.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:22 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:17 am
lax410 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:26 am What’s the general definition of hot bed? I see that referenced a lot in the recruiting discussion. Is it just NY/NJ/MD? Plus PA? VA/DC? MA? FL?
Good question..to me it's any region that consistently produces good lacrosse players. Doesn't have to be super elite, maybe top 50-100 ish players over an extended period of time. There are established hotbeds like the northeast. NY,CT, MA, MD, NJ, PA, DMV area like you mentioned. Then there are emerging hotbeds in the midwest like Colorado, FL is an emerging hotbed, as well as California. Going forward i can see NC/GA starting to emerge as well. All these areas have produced D1 players who are either committed to or currently play at top 50 programs in the last 2-3 years.

In Short, i would say any region that produces top 50 program caliber players over a minimum of 3 years consistently.
Because I am stuck in an airport due to storms, I pulled #s for the 2025 recruiting class by state. These are number of commits to top 50 programs. (Obviously the definition of top 50 changes year by year, but this should be pretty accurate over time).

Pretty big drop off after NY/PA/PA/NJ and VA.

NY 108
PA 58
MD 58
NJ 42
MA 39
VA 32
CT 19
CA 17
GA 12
IL 12
NC 11
FL 10
CO 9
TX 9
OH 7
OR 6
Wow super helpful.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Winners

Losers

I agree. What the hell is going on with Notre Dame? Four commits? They are acting like a team on the bottom of the rankings. What’s next, “We are taking our time and would like to see you come to our prospect camp in October?” They’re lucky Rassas had a legacy there or this would’ve been a disaster. Still is in my eyes.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Stony Brook. 12 committed. Guess we are throwing things on a wall, hoping it sticks. Worry about cutting later? Their roster will be 47 in 2026. 🤔
laxfanrs

Post by laxfanrs »

I feel like for ND they are a lot of top players last few choices, but they pick the other top schools over them. If that makes sense.
laxfanrs

Post by laxfanrs »

Two surprisingly good recruiting classes. Flordia State and Georgetown. I thought Georgetown was done for when their coach left. Phillips has done very well, she gave a much needed refresh to the program. Clemson I thought was going to be up there after all the summer switches, but still picked up some good players. To me the winners are BC, Florida, Virginia all three picked up speed and athleticism that will translate well in collage no matter what.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

SweeptheLeg wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:00 pm

Winners

Losers

Agree with Louisville and VT. Those two programs will battle it out with Pitt for the bottom of the ACC. Their recruiting classes to date are not knocking anyone’s socks off. I’m not surprised Louisville struggles to attract talent, but am surprised that VT doesn’t recruit better.

VT lost a lot of experience in the transfer portal this year. That team had a lot of turmoil last season, which led to the exodus. Skiera lost the locker room and the program is not progressing. They lack speed and the athletes to compete in the ACC. I would not be surprised to see them finish last in the ACC this season.

My daughter's friend who played at Louisville did not have great things to say about her experience. I don’t know all of the details but know safety was a concern. This was one person’s experience but it was enough for us to scratch them off the list.

I don’t see either program making great strides. Teeter seems entrenched at Louisville but Skiera may be on shaky ground. With LaMonica elevating UVA in her first year and with Klaes consistently having Top 20 teams at JMU I don’t see how VT doesn’t make a change if they finish at the bottom of the ACC.
My 25 daughter said Teeter had "serious creeper vibes"
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:13 pm Stony Brook. 12 committed. Guess we are throwing things on a wall, hoping it sticks. Worry about cutting later? Their roster will be 47 in 2026. 🤔
Stonybrook is the definition of a system program. Meaning they recruit players who fit the system to a T. Recruits know that when they committ to SB, they are committing to play a certain way. and It's not high flying offense.

They mine overlooked talent on Long Island and around New York and JS plugs them into the SB factory and..it works. I feel like they have to get a pass every recruiting cycle until proven otherwise.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

laxfanrs wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:45 pm Two surprisingly good recruiting classes. Flordia State and Georgetown. I thought Georgetown was done for when their coach left. Phillips has done very well, she gave a much needed refresh to the program. Clemson I thought was going to be up there after all the summer switches, but still picked up some good players. To me the winners are BC, Florida, Virginia all three picked up speed and athleticism that will translate well in collage no matter what.
Completely agree. the real test for FSU is who they get in the portal in May.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:08 pm

Winners

Losers

I agree. What the hell is going on with Notre Dame? Four commits? They are acting like a team on the bottom of the rankings. What’s next, “We are taking our time and would like to see you come to our prospect camp in October?” They’re lucky Rassas had a legacy there or this would’ve been a disaster. Still is in my eyes.
What's interesting is that 2 of the best uncommitted girls left have serious ND connections -- both on Grizzlies. Will be shocked if they don't end up in South Bend.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:07 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:13 pm Stony Brook. 12 committed. Guess we are throwing things on a wall, hoping it sticks. Worry about cutting later? Their roster will be 47 in 2026. 🤔
Stonybrook is the definition of a system program. Meaning they recruit players who fit the system to a T. Recruits know that when they committ to SB, they are committing to play a certain way. and It's not high flying offense.

They mine overlooked talent on Long Island and around New York and JS plugs them into the SB factory and..it works. I feel like they have to get a pass every recruiting cycle until proven otherwise.
I wasn’t knocking their recruiting class. Just surprised they took 12 kids. 47 is a lot
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:48 pm

Winners

Losers

kind of new to the women's threads, but is this a typical post on here?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:12 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:07 pm

I wasn’t knocking their recruiting class. Just surprised they took 12 kids. 47 is a lot
I'm also guessing SB isn't looking to be a part of roster limits/revenue sharing so won't have to cut anyone.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:27 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:48 pm

Winners

Losers

kind of new to the women's threads, but is this a typical post on here?
Agree that was a strange post. Teeter has coached for many years. Haven’t heard anything related to his suitability to interacting with his players. Would be much more interested in what an alum or parent of a former player would say than what a 16 year old girl supposedly said to her dad.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Winners

Losers

Didn't Schaller tear her ACL pretty late in the season this past spring? Is she even going to be ready to play at the start of the season?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

hmmm wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:18 am

Winners

Losers

Didn't Schaller tear her ACL pretty late in the season this past spring? Is she even going to be ready to play at the start of the season?
I didn't know that. Feel bad for her, thought she was most underrated player in that class.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”