Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:02 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:57 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:41 pm Everyone needs to stop arguing counterfactuals except that’s what everyone wants in reality.
I don't mind speculation and what-ifs as long as you bring receipts. Fun to do so sometimes.

But people being forum policemen because they dont agree with the poster? Then they do the same stuff they complain about? With hardly any actual participation or discussion? Sophomoric.
The pot calling the kettle black, you would be the best defender in the NBA. The Mavs could really use! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe
The Mavs are not a poor defensive team. You have not been paying attention. Prior to last night, in games 2&3 each team made the exact same number of baskets in each game. Boston’s made more three points baskets who accounted for the difference in score. Neither team was shooting the ball “well” from behind the line. Last night, 3 point makes were pretty even. Rebounding is what enabled Dallas to prevail. You need to pay closer attention if you are going to point out a tactical deficiency.
They need to give Rick mahorn or oak a Benjamin button deal and then throw some coke in the pregame smoothie. That’s the only way they can survive Luke SieveD Doncic
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:40 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:58 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:45 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:12 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:05 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:59 pm Good conservatives. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why that's dirty pool. Kinda acting like those FLP extremists who hijack conservative types while their family is dining in a restaurant. What am I thinking that's a totally acceptable form of harassment. :D
You see these as equivalent?

If not, pray tell, what do you see as different?
At least is wasn’t a no knock like they do in Baltimore I suppose…

And come on you dummy he’s from the school of hard knocks which can translate and synthesize Highly localizes and biased anecdotes into omniscience. Far superior to your stupid colleges and higher education and intellectual curiosity and all that bu**s**t.
Your expansive vocabulary is quite impressive. When you can't dazzle em with brilliance baffle em with big words. Pretty good for white trash from Binghamton. 8-) You should have your own syndicated radio show. Your talent should be shared with all of America. They will collectivily be amazed an astonished at your verbal skillery.
You act like I reject that I’m white trash form Binghamton who has and can done better for others instead of being effete on the 18th hole yelling at clouds with increasing ignorance an inability to justify the resources I consume anymore. Can from church going rural WNY and a mix of LI, Brooklyn, Bronx and Albany people. Went to college in the finger lakes, once was a tv kid bowling champ for more than three months which was filmed in your backyard in the same alley where they used to have lilac bowl and where my uncle who killed himself later in Rome Ny has built a prosperous but blind to reality life via Kodak that led him to be very lonely at the end. And you keep lecturing me on NY and on the rest of the country you know nothing about. It’s hilarious and depressing to think about how much you are living are living in an alternate reality that just is a self created bubble of fear.

It’s one thing to disagree about philosophy or approaches to move individual and collective actions forward. It’s another to avoid making an effort to live in the present reality. And self defeating negative feedback loop for folks trapped on that hamster wheel but it doesn’t mean those in reality have to lay down and give up reality too because of some loud and aggressive but weak people. Keep shouting.
You and I have heard similar disparaging remarks our entire life. If your white trash from Bingo then I'm white trash from Rochester. When I was stationed at Ft Bragg some red neck rebels referred to us a just f***ing Yankees. My standard reply was that us Yankees kicked your rebel asses. Have the folks in Atlanta forgiven Sherman yet? I don't know if things have changed that much down south. My experience was reminding rebels they lost the war always made someone take a swing at you.
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:41 pm Everyone needs to stop arguing counterfactuals except that’s what everyone wants in reality.
I don't mind speculation and what-ifs as long as you bring receipts. Fun to do so sometimes.

But people being forum policemen because they dont agree with the poster? Then they do the same stuff they complain about? With hardly any actual participation or discussion? Sophomoric.
I’m reading this as not directed at my comment but if so I’d note that I was making an observation about how it often goes and generally not noted or acknowledged. It started all w X coming out with a weak rabbit punch that bounced off the back of my head accusing me of being effectively an out of touch intellectual. Which given the volumes I’ve share transparently about myself not to mention the dirty hypocritical behavior that we have evidence of perpetrated by cradle exploiting my original well intended outreach to empathize with him. I don’t even deny that and have openly embedded it because to do otherwise would in fact be not living in reality.

So dude comes from left field with a b*tch a** blindside shot that that is unwarranted and not accurate or correct in its target and folks are defending him ethics and his sense of reality. That is dope. In the real world you get punched in the face for such behavior. I’ve been punched and bones broken and occasionally done the same to others and can only do better now. Not whatever this petty stuff some folks do is. But they don’t know reality from planet safe cave.
I believe he was referring to Joe, but maybe X.

Regardless of who, it's sometimes almost funny, maybe a little sad or pathetic, how some folks get all up in arms when someone simply challenges a statement of fact, a line of reasoning. or just an opinion by them or another poster, and then does exactly the same behavior with rancor and vitriol themselves. It's as if this isn't a forum for actual discussion, just spouting off ala twitter and FB etc.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:02 pm
get it to x wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:06 am
Why that's dirty pool. Kinda acting like those FLP extremists who hijack conservative types while their family is dining in a restaurant. What am I thinking that's a totally acceptable form of harassment. :D

And come on you dummy he’s from the school of hard knocks which can translate and synthesize Highly localizes and biased anecdotes into omniscience. Far superior to your stupid colleges and higher education and intellectual curiosity and all that bu**s**t.
Your expansive vocabulary is quite impressive. When you can't dazzle em with brilliance baffle em with big words. Pretty good for white trash from Binghamton. 8-) You should have your own syndicated radio show. Your talent should be shared with all of America. They will collectivily be amazed an astonished at your verbal skillery.
Credentialism at it's finest. Probably believes stupidity and advanced degrees are mutually exclusive.
you think my degrees make me stupid?
You do realize you're talking about me in specific, right?
If so, go ahead and say so.

I do agree that advanced degrees are no substitute for common sense, and I'd be surprised if Geneva disagrees.
"Stupidity" is more rare in my experience, though. Not mutually exclusive, but darn rare.

I'd note that I asked a pretty simple question about cradle's opinion, which only required his exercise of some good common sense. No fancy degrees required. ;) But he's avoided answering that straightforward, uncomplicated question. To be clear, I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence or education. Just personality.
To be clear I said intellectual curiosity as well.
Yes, hugely more important than any degree attainment.

I just find the incidence of such to be pretty high among those who pursue higher degrees, as it's tough to do without some hunger in that area. And there's typically a heck of a lot of demand for critical thinking as well. But intellectual curiosity sure isn't the sole province of the highly educated, as I hope I made clear. For instance, my father-in-law, who never finished high school due to WWII and enlisting below age, had enormous intellectual curiosity.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:12 pm

The pot calling the kettle black, you would be the best defender in the NBA. The Mavs could really use! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe
The Mavs are not a poor defensive team. You have not been paying attention. Prior to last night, in games 2&3 each team made the exact same number of baskets in each game. Boston’s made more three points baskets who accounted for the difference in score. Neither team was shooting the ball “well” from behind the line. Last night, 3 point makes were pretty even. Rebounding is what enabled Dallas to prevail. You need to pay closer attention if you are going to point out a tactical deficiency.
They need to give Rick mahorn or oak a Benjamin button deal and then throw some coke in the pregame smoothie. That’s the only way they can survive Luke SieveD Doncic
So how did they manage to survive all the way to the NBA finals? He’s not Trae Young. Luka’s defense throughout the season has been praised. He’s playing at 85% and of course his deficiencies are magnified in the NBA finals against the best team in the league. Like everything these days, his inability to be a great defender is over blown. He’s been fine all season. Unfortunately most people have only started watching during the playoffs. I have been watching him since he was playing in Europe. I probably have better perspective than most.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:24 pm

Credentialism at it's finest. Probably believes stupidity and advanced degrees are mutually exclusive.

I do agree that advanced degrees are no substitute for common sense, and I'd be surprised if Geneva disagrees.
"Stupidity" is more rare in my experience, though. Not mutually exclusive, but darn rare.

I'd note that I asked a pretty simple question about cradle's opinion, which only required his exercise of some good common sense. No fancy degrees required. ;) But he's avoided answering that straightforward, uncomplicated question. To be clear, I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence or education. Just personality.

I just find the incidence of such to be pretty high among those who pursue higher degrees, as it's tough to do without some hunger in that area. And there's typically a heck of a lot of demand for critical thinking as well. But intellectual curiosity sure isn't the sole province of the highly educated, as I hope I made clear. For instance, my father-in-law, who never finished high school due to WWII and enlisting below age, had enormous intellectual curiosity.
My father was smarter than most. Excellent at math and science and even taught himself Sanskrit. Unfortunately he didn’t have the opportunity to attend college and wasn’t allowed to apply to the AF Academy where some of the guys he knew that weren’t as smart as him were able to apply to and then enroll in. He spent some early years in the AF working on Microwaves before souring on the military because obviously it wasn’t a meritocracy at the time. Plenty of smart people don’t go to college or have advanced degrees but it’s hard to be stupid and get through college and earn advanced degrees but it can happen. I will say it’s easier to find someone stupid that didn’t go to college or have an advance degree if forced to choose a stupid person from each of those categories.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:33 pm

My father was smarter than most. Excellent at math and science and even taught himself Sanskrit. Unfortunately he didn’t have the opportunity to attend college and wasn’t allowed to apply to the AF Academy where some of the guys he knew that weren’t as smart as him were able to apply to and then enroll in. He spent some early years in the AF working on Microwaves before souring on the military because obviously it wasn’t a meritocracy at the time. Plenty of smart people don’t go to college or have advanced degrees but it’s hard to be stupid and get through college and earn advanced degrees but it can happen. I will say it’s easier to find someone stupid that didn’t go to college or have an advance degree if forced to choose a stupid person from each of those categories.
Yes, there are all sorts of frictions, primarily socio-economic, that result in for some very smart, intellectually curious, folks having less access to more schooling.

Some of the most selective colleges now do a darn good job of addressing those challenges for the most challenged and yet obviously highly talented, but it's still an impediment for the vast majority. And the disadvantages begin very early. Thankfully, we do have at least some pathways whereas in some of history they were very limited.

On the other hand, while some folks with plenty of relative advantage don't have the appetite for higher education, perhaps out of a lack of aptitude or imagination, others possibly become discouraged because of an understood, or perhaps not understood, learning disability (which has nothing to do with smarts, creativity, or curiosity).

I'm particularly a fan of those who overcome frictions or such challenges and nevertheless have such hunger to learn that they go forward through life constantly learning.

I guess it's the bigoted resentment of those who Do have that appetite and sufficient aptitude and have succeeded in the educational grinder that disturbs me, particularly among those who actually did have every opportunity...except for the necessary intellectual hunger and drive.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:14 pm

You act like I reject that I’m white trash form Binghamton who has and can done better for others instead of being effete on the 18th hole yelling at clouds with increasing ignorance an inability to justify the resources I consume anymore. Can from church going rural WNY and a mix of LI, Brooklyn, Bronx and Albany people. Went to college in the finger lakes, once was a tv kid bowling champ for more than three months which was filmed in your backyard in the same alley where they used to have lilac bowl and where my uncle who killed himself later in Rome Ny has built a prosperous but blind to reality life via Kodak that led him to be very lonely at the end. And you keep lecturing me on NY and on the rest of the country you know nothing about. It’s hilarious and depressing to think about how much you are living are living in an alternate reality that just is a self created bubble of fear.

It’s one thing to disagree about philosophy or approaches to move individual and collective actions forward. It’s another to avoid making an effort to live in the present reality. And self defeating negative feedback loop for folks trapped on that hamster wheel but it doesn’t mean those in reality have to lay down and give up reality too because of some loud and aggressive but weak people. Keep shouting.
You and I have heard similar disparaging remarks our entire life. If your white trash from Bingo then I'm white trash from Rochester. When I was stationed at Ft Bragg some red neck rebels referred to us a just f***ing Yankees. My standard reply was that us Yankees kicked your rebel asses. Have the folks in Atlanta forgiven Sherman yet? I don't know if things have changed that much down south. My experience was reminding rebels they lost the war always made someone take a swing at you.
This is where I don’t need you and certainly not “getting a hot shot in the X” flying in from left field like a sissy saying I’m not in touch with the street or school of hard knocks. That you don’t like I picked up some brain game along the way isn’t my problem it’s yours. But I feel like these situations we have to stop our fighting and turn to the guy who has no business being there and running his mouth and stomp him. That’s how I grew up. Respect the real tough guys and snuff out the talkers.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:16 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:07 pm

I’m reading this as not directed at my comment but if so I’d note that I was making an observation about how it often goes and generally not noted or acknowledged. It started all w X coming out with a weak rabbit punch that bounced off the back of my head accusing me of being effectively an out of touch intellectual. Which given the volumes I’ve share transparently about myself not to mention the dirty hypocritical behavior that we have evidence of perpetrated by cradle exploiting my original well intended outreach to empathize with him. I don’t even deny that and have openly embedded it because to do otherwise would in fact be not living in reality.

So dude comes from left field with a b*tch a** blindside shot that that is unwarranted and not accurate or correct in its target and folks are defending him ethics and his sense of reality. That is dope. In the real world you get punched in the face for such behavior. I’ve been punched and bones broken and occasionally done the same to others and can only do better now. Not whatever this petty stuff some folks do is. But they don’t know reality from planet safe cave.
I believe he was referring to Joe, but maybe X.

Regardless of who, it's sometimes almost funny, maybe a little sad or pathetic, how some folks get all up in arms when someone simply challenges a statement of fact, a line of reasoning. or just an opinion by them or another poster, and then does exactly the same behavior with rancor and vitriol themselves. It's as if this isn't a forum for actual discussion, just spouting off ala twitter and FB etc.
That’s why I’m checking but my observations apply more broadly which was my intent with the second paragraph. I wasn’t sure what I was reading then made my broader observation though my mind and writing style leave something to be desired I know sometimes .
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:25 pm

Joe
So how did they manage to survive all the way to the NBA finals? He’s not Trae Young. Luka’s defense throughout the season has been praised. He’s playing at 85% and of course his deficiencies are magnified in the NBA finals against the best team in the league. Like everything these days, his inability to be a great defender is over blown. He’s been fine all season. Unfortunately most people have only started watching during the playoffs. I have been watching him since he was playing in Europe. I probably have better perspective than most.
The west surprised me - I expected Minny. But they need a tough guy still. And I’d don’t reminds me of that trade I just puked in my mouth again for the millionth time . Somebody please give me just a papaya king smoothie and Katz corned beef no mustard and you can’t have Trae.

I watch my share of games but Dallas is your team so I’m not going toe to toe with you on their individual. But you don’t want a mean a** SOB regulating? David West? Nothing like that on your squad?
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:26 pm

Joe
The west surprised me - I expected Minny. But they need a tough guy still. And I’d don’t reminds me of that trade I just puked in my mouth again for the millionth time . Somebody please give me just a papaya king smoothie and Katz corned beef no mustard and you can’t have Trae.

I watch my share of games but Dallas is your team so I’m not going toe to toe with you on their individual. But you don’t want a mean a** SOB regulating? David West? Nothing like that on your squad?
We could use a tough guy but the league has moved away from that. It’s a no touch league so the need for a “goon” has been diminished. We could benefit from a Marcus Smart, Dillon Brooks, Lu Dort type but there aren’t many. I wanted the Atlanta guy that was traded to Utah. The tough forward that didn’t get along with Trae. I really wanted him in Dallas.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defen ... lar+Season

See Luka is ranked #62
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:22 pm

This is where I don’t need you and certainly not “getting a hot shot in the X” flying in from left field like a sissy saying I’m not in touch with the street or school of hard knocks. That you don’t like I picked up some brain game along the way isn’t my problem it’s yours. But I feel like these situations we have to stop our fighting and turn to the guy who has no business being there and running his mouth and stomp him. That’s how I grew up. Respect the real tough guys and snuff out the talkers.
The tough guys were always much less of a problem than the crazy guys. Tough guys survive on intimidation, Crazy guys survive by their unpredictability. If you have had a confrontation with a person with depraved indifference to human life you'll understand the difference. I've witnessed more than a few tough guys get the living chit beat out them. Their toughness and lack of respect for their opponent came back to bite them in the ass. Now those tough guys that have crazy mixed in are folks you try and avoid at all costs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My dad too though without nearly the finishing but a CC degree from Corning eh was ashamed of bc he didn’t finish SUNY Geneseo twice (first was being unprepared coming from a rural HS of 125 kid and second was to get married in the early mid 60s-yes my dad has been dead 12yrs now and there’s a lot of folks here who are probably born at or before 1941 I’d guess)

He could reduce things well but not articulate what he learned very well. He never stopped asking questions. He iterated his thinking naturally with what he’d learn or observe constantly. That last part is key to me. I iterate like crazy. To the point of being crazy.

You know a person who has intellectual curiosity from ones that don’t by either are received by the world when they ask questions or make comments/statements.

Harder since the 70s and certainly expansion of student lending and co-opting of higher ed as a place to get job training I suspect but just ask some fng questions of propel you don’t know or don’t agree with and listen. That’s all it takes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:31 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:22 pm

The tough guys were always much less of a problem than the crazy guys. Tough guys survive on intimidation, Crazy guys survive by their unpredictability. If you have had a confrontation with a person with depraved indifference to human life you'll understand the difference. I've witnessed more than a few tough guys get the living chit beat out them. Their toughness and lack of respect for their opponent came back to bite them in the ass. Now those tough guys that have crazy mixed in are folks you try and avoid at all costs.
Tough survive intimidation say what????! You’ve got to be kidding. Tough guys are quiet and don’t get intimidated. Where did you come up with that??? The guy I am most concerned about is the guy in the corner most don’t know is saying attention to everything but making themselves as small as possible in the room and try to avoid getting physical generally. You’re definition couldn’t even be an entry in urbandictionary let alone the real world.

I’ve seen plenty of depraved indifference from a buddy who was selling weed in HS who owed $400 to a 20 something dealer as he smoked instead of sold and got a hammer in the face when he opened his door one night to the mayor and police saying they’d hunt Ed Travis down like the animal he is for totally fng up and shooting a cop for which he deserved life in prison without parole not killing himself over a wretched manhunt that had the parents of every kid who looked anything close to Travis incl my best friend terrified the police would shoot blindly (in that ten then they were out of control and would’ve) to folks busting out heaters and throwing them in another guys face inside a bar inside a bar I used to procure at and go “oh my god do you want to die” while holding a gun in a dudes face inside the bar thee feet from me over petty stuff.

I also have a cousin murdered by crazy and guns.

You don’t understand tough. Tough is quiet and doesn’t instigate unless maybe to defend a weak person. More importantly real tough guys respect the game and know there’s always someone tougher and they can and will get their ass kickedz. Tough guys just end up on the ground like everyone else except the other guy limps away a Wimer but wondering what the heck he got himself into. I don’t think you actually do understand tough-you sound like inclusions in Bath who talk tough but confuse it with harder life which aren’t the same at all. Just a little overlap generally.

Tough guys avoid confrontation but when they do they put the other down fast and violently. You haven’t been outside your cave in a long time have you?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:37 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:26 pm

Joe

We could use a tough guy but the league has moved away from that. It’s a no touch league so the need for a “goon” has been diminished. We could benefit from a Marcus Smart, Dillon Brooks, Lu Dort type but there aren’t many. I wanted the Atlanta guy that was traded to Utah. The tough forward that didn’t get along with Trae. I really wanted him in Dallas.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defen ... lar+Season

See Luka is ranked #62
I didn’t want him traded and Murray is better than Young IMO.

To me that’s fuel bright out the best in guys like my childhood favorite Tim chambers and are accretive. The pistons teams were fine but the Knicks early 90s were stupid. Though I thank Jeff Van Giant every day because it brings a smile to my face every time I think of him ankle biting Alonzo Mourning. That due was a tough guy, in the real world too, mourning
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:51 am

My dad too though without nearly the finishing but a CC degree from Corning eh was ashamed of bc he didn’t finish SUNY Geneseo twice (first was being unprepared coming from a rural HS of 125 kid and second was to get married in the early mid 60s-yes my dad has been dead 12yrs now and there’s a lot of folks here who are probably born at or before 1941 I’d guess)

He could reduce things well but not articulate what he learned very well. He never stopped asking questions. He iterated his thinking naturally with what he’d learn or observe constantly. That last part is key to me. I iterate like crazy. To the point of being crazy.

You know a person who has intellectual curiosity from ones that don’t by either are received by the world when they ask questions or make comments/statements.

Harder since the 70s and certainly expansion of student lending and co-opting of higher ed as a place to get job training I suspect but just ask some fng questions of propel you don’t know or don’t agree with and listen. That’s all it takes.
Way too many veterans like my father came back home with serious issues. I asked my dad once why he didn't join the VFW like so many other vets. His reply was typical for him. He had no interest in being around people who wanted to relive events he had spent decades trying to forget. There were no good memories there was nothing but death and destruction every day. My mom said it took a long time before my dad wasn't terrified by thunder. PTSD hadn't been invented yet in the late 1940s.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

More bullying from the Right, emboldened by the corrupt idiots Alito and Thomas:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/19/us/l ... rooms.html

"Gov. Jeff Landry signed legislation on Wednesday requiring the display of the Ten Commandments in every public classroom in Louisiana, making the state the only one with such a mandate and reigniting the debate over how porous the boundary between church and state should be.

Critics, including the American Civil Liberties Union and the Freedom From Religion Foundation, vowed a legal fight against the law they deemed “blatantly unconstitutional.” But it is a battle that proponents are prepared, and in many ways, eager, to take on.

“I can’t wait to be sued,” Mr. Landry said on Saturday at a Republican fund-raiser in Nashville, according to The Tennessean. And on Wednesday, as he signed the measure, he argued that the Ten Commandments contained valuable lessons for students.

“If you want to respect the rule of law,” he said, “you’ve got to start from the original law giver, which was Moses.”

The legislation is part of a broader campaign by conservative Christian groups to amplify public expressions of faith, and provoke lawsuits that could reach the Supreme Court, where they expect a friendlier reception than in years past. That presumption is rooted in recent rulings, particularly one in 2022 in which the court sided with a high school football coach who argued that he had a constitutional right to pray at the 50-yard line after his team’s games.

“The climate is certainly better,” said Charles C. Haynes, a senior fellow at the Freedom Forum and a scholar with an expertise in religious liberty and civil discourse, referring to the viewpoint of those who support the legislation.

Still, Mr. Haynes said that he found the enthusiasm behind the Louisiana law and other efforts unwarranted. “I think they are overreaching,” he said, adding that “even this court will have a hard time justifying” what lawmakers have conceived.

The measure in Louisiana requires that the commandments be displayed in each classroom of every public elementary, middle and high school, as well as public college classrooms. The posters must be no smaller than 11 by 14 inches and the commandments must be “the central focus of the poster” and “in a large, easily readable font.”

It will also include a three-paragraph statement asserting that the Ten Commandments were a “prominent part of American public education for almost three centuries.”

That reflects the contention by supporters that the Ten Commandments are not purely a religious text but also a historical document, arguing that the instructions handed down by God to Moses in the Book of Exodus are a major influence on United States law.

“The Ten Commandments is there, time and time again, as the basis and foundation for the system that America was built upon,” said Matt Krause, a lawyer for the First Liberty Institute, a nonprofit legal organization defending religious expression.

Still, as lawmakers debated the measure, its supporters argued that such a visible display was about more that just sharing legal history.

“Given all the junk our children are exposed to in classrooms today, it is imperative that we put the Ten Commandments back in a prominent position,” said State Representative Dodie Horton, the Republican sponsor of the legislation.

The measure allows for “our children to look up and see what God says is right and what he says is wrong,” Ms. Horton told colleagues. “It doesn’t preach a certain religion, but it definitely shows what a moral code we all should live by is.”

Critics said the legislation was a clear constitutional violation. In a joint statement, groups including the American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana, Americans United for Separation of Church and State and the Southern Poverty Law Center argued that the law “violates students’ and families’ fundamental right to religious freedom.”

“Our public schools are not Sunday schools,” the statement said, “and students of all faiths, or no faith, should feel welcome in them.”

The law is a product of a legislative season in which Republican lawmakers who had felt stifled for eight years under a Democratic governor, John Bel Edwards, sought to advance a flurry of conservative legislation to Mr. Landry, his Republican successor.

In a special session this year, lawmakers rolled back a previous overhaul of the criminal justice system and passed bills to lengthen sentences for some offenses, strictly limit access to parole, prosecute 17-year-olds charged with any crime as adults and allow methods of execution beyond lethal injection.

Lawmakers also advanced first-in-the-nation measures like designating abortion pills as dangerous controlled substances and allowing judges to order surgical castration of child sex offenders.

Louisiana is the first state to enact a requirement for displaying the Ten Commandments in schools since the Supreme Court struck down a Kentucky law in 1980 that had a similar directive. In that case, Stone v. Graham, the court found that the law violated the establishment clause of the First Amendment.

But the Supreme Court has become more likely to rule in favor of religious rights under Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr.

Perhaps the strongest signal, conservative lawyers and activists said, was the 2022 ruling that found that Joseph Kennedy, an assistant football coach at a public high school near Seattle, was protected by the First Amendment when he offered prayers after games, often joined by students.

With that ruling, the majority discarded a longstanding precedent known as the Lemon test, which was applied to cases related to the establishment clause of the First Amendment. The clause is intended to “prevent government from either advancing (that is, establishing) or hindering religion, preferring one religion over others, or favoring religion over nonreligion,” Mr. Haynes wrote.

The test required courts to consider whether the government practice being challenged had a secular purpose, whether its primary effect was to advance or inhibit religion, and whether it encouraged excessive government entanglement with religion.

The ruling was “kind of an inflection point,” Mr. Krause said, adding, “I think that any decision that was based solely on the Lemon test is open to new scrutiny, whether that was graduation prayers or Nativity scenes on public lands or the Ten Commandments.”

The Louisiana legislation — and the litigation it essentially guarantees — provides an opportunity to apply that scrutiny to public displays of the Ten Commandments.

Legislative efforts in other states have had a bumpy path. Similar proposals failed recently in Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas. One introduced in Utah this year was watered down to a measure that would add the Ten Commandments to a list of documents and principles that could be included in school curriculums.

Mr. Haynes of the Freedom Forum said he believed that the courts — including the Supreme Court, if the cases ascends that high — would see through the statements about historical context and recognize that the motivation was to inject religious teaching into public classrooms.

If the courts did not agree, he said, the result would amount to a catastrophic erosion in the divisions between government and religion.

“That would change who we are as a country, to go in that direction and have no barrier to government entanglement with religion,” Mr. Haynes said. “What would be left? What couldn’t the government do?”
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

STEVE BANNON AND STEPHEN MILLER DEMAND THE RIGHT [IN COURT FILINGS!!] TO FOSTER RIGHT WING VIOLENCE FOR THE ELECTION
Both Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller have made legal arguments in recent days, claiming not just the right, but the need, to sow right wing violence before the election.

In Bannon’s unsuccessful emergency motion to delay reporting to prison filed June 11, he argued that he needs to stay out of prison so he can “speak out on important issues” in the four months leading up to the Presidential election.
The government seeks to imprison Mr. Bannon for the four-month period leading up to the November election, when millions of Americans look to him for information on important campaign issues. This would also effectively bar Mr. Bannon from serving as a meaningful advisor in the ongoing national campaign.

[snip]

There is also a strong public interest in Mr. Bannon remaining free during the run-up to the 2024 presidential election. The government seeks to imprison him for the four-month period immediately preceding the November election—giving an appearance that the government is trying to prevent Mr. Bannon from fully assisting with the campaign and speaking out on important issues, and also ensuring the government exacts its pound of flesh before the possible end of the Biden Administration.

No one can dispute that Mr. Bannon remains a significant figure. He is a top advisor to the President Trump campaign, and millions of Americans look to him for information on matters important to the ongoing presidential campaign. Yet from prison, Mr. Bannon’s ability to participate in the campaign and comment on important matters of policy would be drastically curtailed, if not eliminated. There is no reason to force that outcome in a case that presents substantial legal issues.
These scumbags pump Trump's nonsense into the Body Politic on a daily basis...can't wait to see the Moron Bannon frog-marched off to prison for 4 months...criminal idiot...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes

Return to “POLITICS”