Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by molo »

Schreiber is a great player. Does he have coaching experience?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:28 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:18 pm '06 tangentially/accidentally brings up maybe the most important point which is Crawley was also the Director of Recruiting. As an OC in and of itself - there are no real secrets - they all run the same formations/plays/approaches - secrets are likely more in how you relate and bring out the best in your players - mesh your talent with your principles and swim in the same direction with the other coaches. BUT as PM detailed in the last WWM vodcast - there was a big divide and conquer approach on summer/early fall recruiting based on geography/personal summer calendars and who they wanted to see i.e. JC might go to the summer tournament where a much desired offensive player was playing. So - IMO - the onus to hire the right guy has more immediacy than it might first appear and PM/JK maybe just saw their airline and auto mileage go up for a while.
Another reason to hire someone who is already out recruiting for another school, so they can hit the ground running.

"Swim in the same direction" is a big component — have to get the right culture fit. That is priority #1 IMO, well ahead of X's and O's. #2 would be recruiting ability.
The recruiting component is definitely critical here. It's not hard to fit good players together as long as their ego's don't get in the way. Chic always said they would win the NC if they didn't care who gets the credit.
I hope they hire someone with a ton of Charisma. I think recruiting might actually be the major focus of this role. X's and O's don't decide the outcome of a lacrosse game according to QK. You need players who can stick their shots with efficiency which means you need other players who can set them up for quality looks. A case could be made that recruiting/coaching is ~51/49 important in this particular role.
This seems to be the first example we've had of positive staff attrition since Seth Tierney left. Is that correct?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:45 pm Too much OC change as of late
Look at the rest of the university, every 5 minutes a Provost or Dean gets a job as a President of another college or something. This is Johns Hopkins. Crawley's 7 years out of Hopkins and going to his 4th job. This was a man in a hurry. Lee "Fastest man in the game, although no assists" Coppersmith/Evan Punt returner Zinn type speed up the career ladder.

PM's going on his third round of assistant searches now at hopkins, he should have a pretty good lay of the land.

Benson and Crawley when you listen to them, talk like the camp counselor kids worship like superheroes. At a place like Hopkins with all the negatives people run through here on an almost daily basis it's not a surprise they were hits in getting kids.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:48 pm Schreiber is a great player. Does he have coaching experience?
No and he's in the thick of his PLL and NLL careers. This wouldn't make any sense
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:21 am Wowza, Crawley's off to lead High Point: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/63632

It was a quick stop at his alma mater but he was instrumental in changing the culture for the better. And while the offense had its struggles down the stretch this year it was inarguably improved from the previous two seasons after Crawley stepped in. Will be fascinated to see how he does at High Point. Leaving the program without its recruiting coordinator at the height of recruiting season is not ideal but what can you do.

The train keeps rollin. Some possible candidates for OC:
  • Matt Rewkowski: Delaware OC, has had some good offenses and recruits there, always seems to punch above his weight. Also had stops at Georgetown and Cornell. Played with Coach K on the 2005 title team. Feels like a no-brainer if he's willing to make the "lateral" move.
    Steven Boyle: Obviously an alum, believe he's well liked too. Drexel hasn't done a whole lot but doubt that's been his fault
    Joel Tinney: Might be too much of a "Petro guy" but then again so was Crawley. Was Michigan's third assistant this year and coached at Calvert Hall before that. Probably not enough experience but who knows.
    Colin Nesdale: Not an alum, but coached Yale to the #5 offense in adjusted efficiency this year and will know at least two guys on the team very well to help him get started. Also volunteered at Michigan and coached/played at Quinnipiac
    John Hogan: Has done a nice job as OC at both Richmond and Georgetown. Played at Cornell while PM was an assistant there.
    Jim Mitchell: One of the best in the business at Princeton and his name tends to come up a lot during these searches, might be open to a move
    Justin Ward: Young OC doing a great job at Army, also coached at Georgetown and played at Loyola
    Neil Hutchinson: His Harvard offenses have been good (defense has been the issue there surprisingly), and he's from Baltimore. Played at Towson and Loyola Blakefield
    John Haus: Don't think he'd leave Penn State but he is more than qualified and does have a significant Hopkins connection
Also keep hearing people say that Ryder Garnsey at ND needs to be given a shot as someone's offensive coordinator. Would be a bit outside the box for sure. You could promote Brian Kelly? I don't know if that makes sense, but maybe. If that happens I think it means PM is basically taking over the offense. And this is unlikely but maybe you can get a mid-major HC to take a demotion, like Cassese to Virginia last year. Not even sure who'd be a candidate for that. Seth Tierney? Lol
John Haus was HC previously. I don’t think hecwill retirn but i suppose there is a chance i suppose
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:17 pm John Haus was HC previously. I don’t think hecwill retirn but i suppose there is a chance i suppose
I was referring to his son (also named John), who is the OC at Penn State.

In any case I don't think he's a very realistic option, which is why I put him last.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:45 am I also don't know the portal rules, but my guess is that Crawley now can not "bring" kids he recruited to hopkins who may want a fresh start "with him to hpu" or if he'll now be competing with PM for staff or recruits he may have been seeking to bring to homewood.
I would seriously doubt any kids would transfer to HPU from Hopkins even with Crawley.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Rewkowski is my top choice. Former Duke transfer and was on Hopkins' championship team. Delaware has been good consistently despite talent gaps.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:04 pm
norcalhop wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:45 pm Too much OC change as of late
Look at the rest of the university, every 5 minutes a Provost or Dean gets a job as a President of another college or something. This is Johns Hopkins. Crawley's 7 years out of Hopkins and going to his 4th job. This was a man in a hurry. Lee "Fastest man in the game, although no assists" Coppersmith/Evan Punt returner Zinn type speed up the career ladder.

PM's going on his third round of assistant searches now at hopkins, he should have a pretty good lay of the land.

Benson and Crawley when you listen to them, talk like the camp counselor kids worship like superheroes. At a place like Hopkins with all the negatives people run through here on an almost daily basis it's not a surprise they were hits in getting kids.
Didn't use to be this way but yes things have changed.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:13 pm
molo wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:48 pm Schreiber is a great player. Does he have coaching experience?
No and he's in the thick of his PLL and NLL careers. This wouldn't make any sense
TS has 10 years playing professionally, at 32, I'd expect him to hang up the cleats in the next or so. He has nothing further to prove; coaching is the next logical step, assuming he wants to remain in the game. HIs style of play suits that which would benefit JHU.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:17 pm
TS has 10 years playing professionally, at 32, I'd expect him to hang up the cleats in the next or so. He has nothing further to prove; coaching is the next logical step, assuming he wants to remain in the game. HIs style of play suits that which would benefit JHU.
After Grant, I think PM will think twice.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I mean if he calls you up and says he wants to get into coaching, you listen. But I don't see it. He's still playing at a high level. At minimum he'd have to retire from the NLL immediately, as their season overlaps with college lacrosse. Can't have your OC playing professionally half the year. Then there's the small matter of him having zero coaching or recruiting experience. Yes he's an all-time great but so was Junior. It'd be a massive risk. There should be plenty of good options who are proven as coaches and recruiters at the college level. If he wants to get into coaching I suspect his very first job won't be as a coordinator on a top 5-10 team.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:27 pm
Meh.....birds of a different feather, but I see your point.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
coda

Post by coda »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:30 pm
totally different skill sets. It can actually be harder to coach when you are a great player. Probably want him on the staff, but Coordinator is too lofty a position at this time.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

coda wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:43 pm
totally different skill sets. It can actually be harder to coach when you are a great player. Probably want him on the staff, but Coordinator is too lofty a position at this time.
I think we overhype our sport. It’s really not that hard to coach if you are fully invested in your craft and not an egomaniac.

I was given a bunch of crap that Phipps could not be blamed for any of UMD’s issues this year by Terps faithful because it was his first year there and he’s got a decade of experience.

Then again when March was gone for a couple games I was told Gait could handle it all and he should be locked in on the offense.

More to my point….someone like TS could easily work with Crawleys offensive schemes, add some of his flare, and in a year or two you’d be thanking me for the idea. 😉

Happy Fathers’s Day weekend fellas!!
~Livy
coda

Post by coda »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:56 pm
I think we overhype our sport. It’s really not that hard to coach if you are fully invested in your craft and not an egomaniac.

I was given a bunch of crap that Phipps could not be blamed for any of UMD’s issues this year by Terps faithful because it was his first year there and he’s got a decade of experience.

Then again when March was gone for a couple games I was told Gait could handle it all and he should be locked in on the offense.

More to my point….someone like TS could easily work with Crawleys offensive schemes, add some of his flare, and in a year or two you’d be thanking me for the idea. 😉

Jordan talked about it. He said it was so frustrating. He was like do this, but they were not Michael Jordan, so they could not go that. One thing about being really good is you take for granted the things you think are obvious and limitations of players. Then there is the ability to relate to kids and the pride sucking work of recruiting. I have 0 doubts he coudl build and construct a good offense. How well he teaches it or how well he stacks it with talent is a bit of an unknown.
PotomacRiver

Post by PotomacRiver »

coda wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:02 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:56 pm

Jordan talked about it. He said it was so frustrating. He was like do this, but they were not Michael Jordan, so they could not go that. One thing about being really good is you take for granted the things you think are obvious and limitations of players. Then there is the ability to relate to kids and the pride sucking work of recruiting. I have 0 doubts he coudl build and construct a good offense. How well he teaches it or how well he stacks it with talent is a bit of an unknown.
Happy for Crawley, don't love so much OC turnover, but if we were going to lose him this is probably the right timing given our graduation losses on O. Agree with comments that there are only so many offensive schemes, it's really about building chemistry and recruiting. I like Boyle/Rewkowski as alumni options who have put in the time as assistant coaches. Schreiber not going to happen, but honestly if we wanted to go the route of "big name" but little/no coaching experience as an option purely for recruiting purposes...I'd be giving Kyle Harrison a call. Not saying that's realistic or feasible.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Jim Mitchell is probably the gold standard reach. Probably would require one of those “Associate Head Coach” titles and more money.

Joel Tinney is the low-hanging fruit who would jump at the chance.

John Hogan may be the Goldilocks candidate … just right.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:21 am Wowza, Crawley's off to lead High Point: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/63632

It was a quick stop at his alma mater but he was instrumental in changing the culture for the better. And while the offense had its struggles down the stretch this year it was inarguably improved from the previous two seasons after Crawley stepped in. Will be fascinated to see how he does at High Point. Leaving the program without its recruiting coordinator at the height of recruiting season is not ideal but what can you do.

The train keeps rollin. Some possible candidates for OC:
  • Matt Rewkowski: Delaware OC, has had some good offenses and recruits there, always seems to punch above his weight. Also had stops at Georgetown and Cornell. Played with Coach K on the 2005 title team. Feels like a no-brainer if he's willing to make the "lateral" move.
    Steven Boyle: Obviously an alum, believe he's well liked too. Drexel hasn't done a whole lot but doubt that's been his fault
    Joel Tinney: Might be too much of a "Petro guy" but then again so was Crawley. Was Michigan's third assistant this year and coached at Calvert Hall before that. Probably not enough experience but who knows.
    Colin Nesdale: Not an alum, but coached Yale to the #5 offense in adjusted efficiency this year and will know at least two guys on the team very well to help him get started. Also volunteered at Michigan and coached/played at Quinnipiac
    John Hogan: Has done a nice job as OC at both Richmond and Georgetown. Played at Cornell while PM was an assistant there.
    Jim Mitchell: One of the best in the business at Princeton and his name tends to come up a lot during these searches, might be open to a move
    Justin Ward: Young OC doing a great job at Army, also coached at Georgetown and played at Loyola
    Neil Hutchinson: His Harvard offenses have been good (defense has been the issue there surprisingly), and he's from Baltimore. Played at Towson and Loyola Blakefield
    John Haus: Don't think he'd leave Penn State but he is more than qualified and does have a significant Hopkins connection
Also keep hearing people say that Ryder Garnsey at ND needs to be given a shot as someone's offensive coordinator. Would be a bit outside the box for sure. You could promote Brian Kelly? I don't know if that makes sense, but maybe. If that happens I think it means PM is basically taking over the offense. And this is unlikely but maybe you can get a mid-major HC to take a demotion, like Cassese to Virginia last year. Not even sure who'd be a candidate for that. Seth Tierney? Lol
Just a side note … HPU is just a few minutes away from Dewberry Farms, which is renowned for its Spring You-Pick-It Tulip Festival!

https://goodtomicha.com/dewberry-farms-spring-tulips/

https://www.dewberrymanor.com/history

Best wishes to Coach Crawley!

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Culture is important so I hope the captains are part of the search process. As for crawley, I'm sure he'll be on to greener pastures again in a few years.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”