Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Homer

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by Homer »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:47 pm Thanks Homer - Should have come up with Richie - mind didn't go back that far. I believe in an interview one time - Dave said early recruiting and assuming both HC & DC duties were two issues he might do differently. Bad coaching was not an issue. Dave resurrected the program and Hopkins owes him a great deal of gratitude.
Definitely never a question of bad coaching. When you have a very long tenure in one place with essentially one staff, over time problems are going to creep in and -- if not dealt with -- eventually accumulate to the point where the incumbent can't be the one to fix them. AT that point you have to separate the past successes and continuing abilities from the fact that retaining the current staff has become counterproductive and even damaging to the program. But the basic truth remains that Dave accomplished the first 5-8 years is not only remarkable in itself but absolutely fundamental to where the program is today.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wowza, Crawley's off to lead High Point: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/63632

It was a quick stop at his alma mater but he was instrumental in changing the culture for the better. And while the offense had its struggles down the stretch this year it was inarguably improved from the previous two seasons after Crawley stepped in. Will be fascinated to see how he does at High Point. Leaving the program without its recruiting coordinator at the height of recruiting season is not ideal but what can you do.

The train keeps rollin. Some possible candidates for OC:
  • Matt Rewkowski: Delaware OC, has had some good offenses and recruits there, always seems to punch above his weight. Also had stops at Georgetown and Cornell. Played with Coach K on the 2005 title team. Feels like a no-brainer if he's willing to make the "lateral" move.
    Steven Boyle: Obviously an alum, believe he's well liked too. Drexel hasn't done a whole lot but doubt that's been his fault
    Joel Tinney: Might be too much of a "Petro guy" but then again so was Crawley. Was Michigan's third assistant this year and coached at Calvert Hall before that. Probably not enough experience but who knows.
    Colin Nesdale: Not an alum, but coached Yale to the #5 offense in adjusted efficiency this year and will know at least two guys on the team very well to help him get started. Also volunteered at Michigan and coached/played at Quinnipiac
    John Hogan: Has done a nice job as OC at both Richmond and Georgetown. Played at Cornell while PM was an assistant there.
    Jim Mitchell: One of the best in the business at Princeton and his name tends to come up a lot during these searches, might be open to a move
    Justin Ward: Young OC doing a great job at Army, also coached at Georgetown and played at Loyola
    Neil Hutchinson: His Harvard offenses have been good (defense has been the issue there surprisingly), and he's from Baltimore. Played at Towson and Loyola Blakefield
    John Haus: Don't think he'd leave Penn State but he is more than qualified and does have a significant Hopkins connection
Also keep hearing people say that Ryder Garnsey at ND needs to be given a shot as someone's offensive coordinator. Would be a bit outside the box for sure. You could promote Brian Kelly? I don't know if that makes sense, but maybe. If that happens I think it means PM is basically taking over the offense. And this is unlikely but maybe you can get a mid-major HC to take a demotion, like Cassese to Virginia last year. Not even sure who'd be a candidate for that. Seth Tierney? Lol
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Crowley will be back to take over when you guys run Peter out of town in a few years.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:21 am Wowza, Crawley's off to lead High Point: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/63632

It was a quick stop at his alma mater ...

Steven Boyle: Obviously an alum, believe he's well liked too. Drexel hasn't done a whole lot but doubt that's been his fault
Boyle is a good choice.
It is more the conference that is the problem, hard to attract real top level players with that conference as it is.

A good time for Boyle to move up. He's well liked, still young. Less of a position-less offensive coordinator, more traditional, good at midfield development. I could see him developing things so as Hopkins offense goes three lines deep consistently at midfield.
lorin

Post by lorin »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:21 am Wowza, Crawley's off to lead High Point: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/63632

It was a quick stop at his alma mater but he was instrumental in changing the culture for the better. And while the offense had its struggles down the stretch this year it was inarguably improved from the previous two seasons after Crawley stepped in. Will be fascinated to see how he does at High Point. Leaving the program without its recruiting coordinator at the height of recruiting season is not ideal but what can you do.

• Matt Rewkowski: Delaware OC, has had some good offenses and recruits there, always seems to punch above his weight. Also had stops at Georgetown and Cornell. Played with Coach K on the 2005 title team. Feels like a no-brainer if he's willing to make the "lateral" move.
    Joel Tinney: Might be too much of a "Petro guy" but then again so was Crawley. Was Michigan's third assistant this year and coached at Calvert Hall before that. Probably not enough experience but who knows.
    Colin Nesdale: Not an alum, but coached Yale to the #5 offense in adjusted efficiency this year and will know at least two guys on the team very well to help him get started. Also volunteered at Michigan and coached/played at Quinnipiac
    John Hogan: Has done a nice job as OC at both Richmond and Georgetown. Played at Cornell while PM was an assistant there.
    Jim Mitchell: One of the best in the business at Princeton and his name tends to come up a lot during these searches, might be open to a move
    Justin Ward: Young OC doing a great job at Army, also coached at Georgetown and played at Loyola
    Neil Hutchinson: His Harvard offenses have been good (defense has been the issue there surprisingly), and he's from Baltimore. Played at Towson and Loyola Blakefield
    John Haus: Don't think he'd leave Penn State but he is more than qualified and does have a significant Hopkins connection
Also keep hearing people say that Ryder Garnsey at ND needs to be given a shot as someone's offensive coordinator. Would be a bit outside the box for sure. You could promote Brian Kelly? I don't know if that makes sense, but maybe. If that happens I think it means PM is basically taking over the offense. And this is unlikely but maybe you can get a mid-major HC to take a demotion, like Cassese to Virginia last year. Not even sure who'd be a candidate for that. Seth Tierney? Lol
Ward would only leave Army for head coaching job ,IMO
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Man, my offseason bingo card didn't have "hire new OC" on it.

Good for JC but definitely sad to see him go. Options this time around feel a little less obvious of a fit.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

Seems like an optimistic list. Boyle would be a good one IMO.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Was Boyle involved in recruiting Molloy, Bellistri, Blynn etc. to Brown? He had left for Drexel by the time Brown made the Final Four in 2016, but curious if he had a hand in their recruitment/development while he was there from 2012-2014. Obviously Kirwan correctly gets a lot of the credit for that supercharged offense, but most of the players were already there when he arrived in '15.

Drexel has had some good offenses over the years but it's been a bit of a struggle there as of late. That 2021 team that won the CAA and then gave ND a game in the NCAAs was good.
lilax

Post by lilax »

I’d throw Scott Meehan at St. Joe’s in that list as well. He has done a really nice job with that offense and recruiting since he got there in 2019.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What about Tom Schreiber?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Nesdale would be a good aspirational hire. Not sure he'd take it, but Yale's offenses have been elite for several years, and he did a great job adjusting with the losses of 2 starting attackmen to injury.

If I were to go the alum route, I'd go for Rewkowski. Those offenses have always been good, recruits good players, and they're particularly good at executing out of timeouts/late game situations. Signs of a good coach IMO.

Hogan would be interesting. Not sure he'd want to jump to a 3rd job in 3 years, but he's always had good offenses at Richmond and now Georgetown.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:29 am
Drexel has had some good offenses over the years but it's been a bit of a struggle there as of late. That 2021 team that won the CAA and then gave ND a game in the NCAAs was good.
A lot of that was Boyle (also Durkin's D started coming around).
But Boyle was able to recognize quickly what he had in terms of talent, and recognized that there was a window to take advantage vis the other conference teams, that year.
They went conservative against ND, but still, a lot of getting to the NCAAs in 2021 was Boyle's efforts.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Crawley leaves a very strong legacy over his 6 years
-They won his first game-I believe against OSU his freshman year where he contributed points and he had a very strong career including a ff
-He got the team back to 2 qfs in 2 years with an offense that struggled badly under 2 previous coordinators
-Obviously a very polished emerging coach.
-It's a massive win for Petro/Benson, PM and the program as a whole when a Hopkins recruited and Hopkins developed kid becomes an assistant and now head coach at a d1 level. It says whatever the record has been on the field, the people in the sport view the man as a leader.
'
I don't know if there "was pressure" for PM to hire alums for his aides when he was hired, but it certainly was on peoples minds. I don't think its on peoples minds now. With an extension in hand, 2 strong seasons, an established staff, a program entering year 5, he should have a lot of options and be dealing from a position of strength. Given the losses to graduation they're also starting with a bit of a fresh start.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I also don't know the portal rules, but my guess is that Crawley now can not "bring" kids he recruited to hopkins who may want a fresh start "with him to hpu" or if he'll now be competing with PM for staff or recruits he may have been seeking to bring to homewood.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:45 am I also don't know the portal rules, but my guess is that Crawley now can not "bring" kids he recruited to hopkins who may want a fresh start "with him to hpu" or if he'll now be competing with PM for staff or recruits he may have been seeking to bring to homewood.
Missing the forest for the shrubs as always. This is not something to worry about. If anyone wants to trade in a Hopkins degree and a shot at the Final Four for High Point they are more than welcome.
jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:04 am Nesdale would be a good aspirational hire. Not sure he'd take it, but Yale's offenses have been elite for several years, and he did a great job adjusting with the losses of 2 starting attackmen to injury.

If I were to go the alum route, I'd go for Rewkowski. Those offenses have always been good, recruits good players, and they're particularly good at executing out of timeouts/late game situations. Signs of a good coach IMO.

Hogan would be interesting. Not sure he'd want to jump to a 3rd job in 3 years, but he's always had good offenses at Richmond and now Georgetown.
Think I'm roughly on the same page. Both alums and non-alums are going to be considered. Rewkowski, Boyle, Hogan, Hutchinson, Nesdale feel like the each make sense in different ways. No idea why I even included Tinney on that initial list — if anything maybe he joins Crawley at High Point.

And just to get ahead of the inevitable — no, Kyle Harrison has no interest in coaching.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:37 am Crowley will be back to take over when you guys run Peter out of town in a few years.
I will root for Coach PM for the remainder of his contract. :)

Congratulations to Coach Crawley!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

'06 tangentially/accidentally brings up maybe the most important point which is Crawley was also the Director of Recruiting. As an OC in and of itself - there are no real secrets - they all run the same formations/plays/approaches - secrets are likely more in how you relate and bring out the best in your players - mesh your talent with your principles and swim in the same direction with the other coaches. BUT as PM detailed in the last WWM vodcast - there was a big divide and conquer approach on summer/early fall recruiting based on geography/personal summer calendars and who they wanted to see i.e. JC might go to the summer tournament where a much desired offensive player was playing. So - IMO - the onus to hire the right guy has more immediacy than it might first appear and PM/JK maybe just saw their airline and auto mileage go up for a while.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:18 pm '06 tangentially/accidentally brings up maybe the most important point which is Crawley was also the Director of Recruiting. As an OC in and of itself - there are no real secrets - they all run the same formations/plays/approaches - secrets are likely more in how you relate and bring out the best in your players - mesh your talent with your principles and swim in the same direction with the other coaches. BUT as PM detailed in the last WWM vodcast - there was a big divide and conquer approach on summer/early fall recruiting based on geography/personal summer calendars and who they wanted to see i.e. JC might go to the summer tournament where a much desired offensive player was playing. So - IMO - the onus to hire the right guy has more immediacy than it might first appear and PM/JK maybe just saw their airline and auto mileage go up for a while.
Another reason to hire someone who is already out recruiting for another school, so they can hit the ground running.

"Swim in the same direction" is a big component — have to get the right culture fit. That is priority #1 IMO, well ahead of X's and O's. #2 would be recruiting ability.
molo

Post by molo »

Couldn’t agree more with the observation about offenses. There are only so many things you can run. It is—or was—easier to be more creative on d, riding , and the like. Most dominant offenses don’t win because they fool the other team. They win with superior personnel and execution.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Too much OC change as of late

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”