Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 12:00 PM

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 12:00 PM

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:36 am
Finster wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:08 am Rewatched.

Trying hard not to blame any one player, but man alive, NOT EVEN ONE SAVE IN THE FIRST HALF?!! Just being picked apart high right hand; ND saw film which shows McNaney prefers bouncers.

Team deflated after they saw their goalie wasn’t seeing much. That Taylor goal on the crease to tie it up 2-2 with no one on him (why was Burlace drifting over to an already covered Dobson?!!) was the back breaker imo. Championship gane, defense allowing a doorstep goal…you can see the energy drain away from there, other than Weirman. Which came first ? Perhaps the goalie, got deflated, after that second goal ? Could have sworn Terps goalie saved a shot, with Anish stating after " ....a question mark, and McNaey had the answer.." in the first half Perhaps, my misremembering goes along with sucks penchant for "misinformation". ;)

John T is the best and I just don’t think he had any option other than to leave McNaney in. He obviously began to see the ball better in the second half but the damage was done by then.

If McNaney makes a few early saves then levels out at 60%, different ending. When you’re that mentally exhausted (I’d say the same happened to Maryland in ‘22 for the championship game, but different angle), it doesn’t take much to break your back.
Definitely did not have a save until well into second half
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:55 am

Trying hard not to blame any one player, but man alive, NOT EVEN ONE SAVE IN THE FIRST HALF?!! Just being picked apart high right hand; ND saw film which shows McNaney prefers bouncers.

Team deflated after they saw their goalie wasn’t seeing much. That Taylor goal on the crease to tie it up 2-2 with no one on him (why was Burlace drifting over to an already covered Dobson?!!) was the back breaker imo. Championship gane, defense allowing a doorstep goal…you can see the energy drain away from there, other than Weirman. Which came first ? Perhaps the goalie, got deflated, after that second goal ? Could have sworn Terps goalie saved a shot, with Anish stating after " ....a question mark, and McNaey had the answer.." in the first half Perhaps, my misremembering goes along with sucks penchant for "misinformation". ;)

John T is the best and I just don’t think he had any option other than to leave McNaney in. He obviously began to see the ball better in the second half but the damage was done by then.

If McNaney makes a few early saves then levels out at 60%, different ending. When you’re that mentally exhausted (I’d say the same happened to Maryland in ‘22 for the championship game, but different angle), it doesn’t take much to break your back.
He had a save on a P Kav question mark in the first quarter. Can’t recall any others though.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

masondixonlax wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:41 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:45 am

Team deflated after they saw their goalie wasn’t seeing much. That Taylor goal on the crease to tie it up 2-2 with no one on him (why was Burlace drifting over to an already covered Dobson?!!) was the back breaker imo. Championship gane, defense allowing a doorstep goal…you can see the energy drain away from there, other than Weirman.

I couldn’t believe both d men drifting away from crease on that goal. Immediately thinking about the Tillman greatest coach since god advised Adam thread.
Tills sleep with your wife or something? Pretty fixated on this
One comment is fixated?

Maybe I need to go find your wife…I’m sure she’s been missing a lot since the day she made that commitment.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigTurn wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:57 am

He had a save on a P Kav question mark in the first quarter. Can’t recall any others though.
Well the scoreboard at the game had zero into the second half and everyone. Around us was talking about it. I recall the shot but not sure it was a save or when it happened. We were in that end of the sideline as well.

Doesn’t really matter the d let him down badly all day.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Did I hear right that ND has 20 seniors and grad students contributing to the team?

Oh, sure, this abundance is a consequence of Covid, which is no one's fault or plan, but until this Covid year-or-two eligibility jiggering winds off of the rosters I'm putting an asterisk next to these super-teams.

This is the 4th year of 'Covid-year' eligibility extensions, right? So we're done, right?
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Team deflated after they saw their goalie wasn’t seeing much. That Taylor goal on the crease to tie it up 2-2 with no one on him (why was Burlace drifting over to an already covered Dobson?!!) was the back breaker imo. Championship gane, defense allowing a doorstep goal…you can see the energy drain away from there, other than Weirman.

I couldn’t believe both d men drifting away from crease on that goal. Immediately thinking about the Tillman greatest coach since god advised Adam thread.
One comment is fixated?

Maybe I need to go find your wife…I’m sure she’s been missing a lot since the day she made that commitment.
Your 2 inches won’t do
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:03 pm Did I hear right that ND has 20 seniors and grad students contributing to the team?

Oh, sure, this abundance is a consequence of Covid, which is no one's fault or plan, but until this Covid year-or-two eligibility jiggering winds off of the rosters I'm putting an asterisk next to these super-teams.

This is the 4th year of 'Covid-year' eligibility extensions, right? So we're done, right?
Maryland had a ton of 5th year contributors. The entire ACC was loaded with them. Hopkins had at least a handful. Even the ivies had guys withdraw and come back to gain extra years. Brandau began his career in 2019. The tops schools were all on the same footing, no asterisks needed.
Finster

Post by Finster »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:03 pm Did I hear right that ND has 20 seniors and grad students contributing to the team?

All the wrong teams won this weekend:

ND division 1
Tufts division 3
Adelphi division 2
Boston College women’s D1
Middlebury women’s D3

Just a ridiculous royal flush of teams I actively cheer against. 😂
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:02 pm

Well the scoreboard at the game had zero into the second half and everyone. Around us was talking about it. I recall the shot but not sure it was a save or when it happened. We were in that end of the sideline as well.

I thought he got a piece of that shot, and one of the announcers did as well. I guess the scorekeeper thought it was a pipe.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:41 pm

I thought he got a piece of that shot, and one of the announcers did as well. I guess the scorekeeper thought it was a pipe.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6q4l2YEWr ... NzZQ%3D%3D

Dodge at 3:05. Regardless of number of saves, he flat out did not see the ball until the 4th
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

Bunch of old men bitching about college kids. I am assuming this Finster character must of been one heck of a goalie in the past. Maybe a coach at the youth level now?I could be wrong. Someone who blames one particular person for TEAM loss probably never played. If Finster did ever play and made commitments like this I sure wouldn't want him on my team.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Pork42 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Bunch of old men bitching about college kids. I am assuming this Finster character must of been one heck of a goalie in the past. Maybe a coach at the youth level now?I could be wrong. Someone who blames one particular person for TEAM loss probably never played. If Finster did ever play and made commitments like this I sure wouldn't want him on my team.

Actually Pork, I’m looking at Tillman mostly for the loss. When your FOGO gets you 70%+ and your team has already demonstrated it can hold a high performing offense like UVA to 6 goals, I’m gonna look mostly at your coaching schemes. They clearly weren’t correct.

For McNaney, he’s not my teammate so I don’t have any problem saying he was a decided weak link. If he was my teammate, I’d shut my mouth. But if you’re or were a lacrosse player, you should certainly look around when your FOGO dominates and you lose. He wasn’t THE reason, but he was certainly one. Zero saves in one half ain’t great.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

You can’t simply out coach a far more talented team. Maryland had an unbelievable playoff run which is apparently making people forget that their offensive personnel were incredibly average all year. Put up 5 against Hopkins, looked like a JV team vs PSU. They simply did not have the horses to compete with ND when ND was firing on all cylinders. No amount of scheming can fix 7-8 players who can blow right past your guys.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

1st quarter start watching at the 8:10 mark McNaney makes his 1st save. It was not a pipe.
Finster

Post by Finster »

BigTurn wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:06 pm You can’t simply out coach a far more talented team. Maryland had an unbelievable playoff run which is apparently making people forget that their offensive personnel were incredibly average all year. Put up 5 against Hopkins, looked like a JV team vs PSU. They simply did not have the horses to compete with ND when ND was firing on all cylinders. No amount of scheming can fix 7-8 players who can blow right past your guys.

You’re probably more correct than me here. But, my guess is Tillman wishes he could restart that game. I’m having a hard time getting past Weir man doing epic 70%+ work at FOGO against the ND tandem who until yesterday was on fire themselves. As a coach, when given that possession advantage, you have to figure something out. Mix it up. Try riding. Anything.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Think about how little time the coaches have to prepare for Monday. If lucky, they are back at the hotel by 8:00 pm on Saturday. Leave for the stadium by 9:00 am on Monday. That's 37 hours. At least a little of that will be spent sleeping. One practice on Sunday with a bunch of worn out players who just pulled off their third upset win in a row. Coaching takes a back seat to talent/depth under this scenario and ND had a big advantage in both of those departments (not to say ND doesn't have good coaching too - they do).
CU77

Post by CU77 »

AreaLax wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:31 pm 1st quarter start watching at the 8:10 mark McNaney makes his 1st save. It was not a pipe.
That shot was going wide. McNaney snagged it, but it would not have gone in. Scorekeeper got it right, that was not a save.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

BigTurn wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:18 pm

Maryland had a ton of 5th year contributors. The entire ACC was loaded with them. Hopkins had at least a handful. Even the ivies had guys withdraw and come back to gain extra years. Brandau began his career in 2019. The tops schools were all on the same footing, no asterisks needed.
This is not entirely accurate. When you weigh the inflow and outflow of talent in the portal over the past three post-Covid seasons, the Ivy League was significantly disadvantaged as compared to the ACC/B10 and other conferences. It is not easy to transfer into Ivy League schools as an undergraduate. But the major reason the extra eligibility years hampered the Ivies vs the ACC/B10 was because its schools did not permit grad students to play even if they still had eligibility. While a handful of Ivy players kept their undergraduate eligibility by withdrawing from school for a semester or two, most did not (it is incredibly disruptive to one's college years and delays graduation and entry into the post-lax "real world"). The result was a steady flow of top Ivy talent to ACC/B10 teams as 5th year graduate students. Many of the ACC/B10 programs had these 23-24 year old former Ivy players as key components of their post season rosters. So you were subtracting from Ivy rosters and adding to ACC/B10 rosters. Not the same footing at all.

As for the asterisks, I think it is impossible to compare this entire Covid era (2021-24) without taking into account that the championship teams from this era had 23-25 year old players playing a 5th year in key spots when prior title winning teams did not.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

masondixonlax wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:11 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:00 pm

One comment is fixated?

Your 2 inches won’t do
Well…if I was just warned for something far less egregious by admin…otherwise this is a let a B be a B situation.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AreaLax wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:31 pm

1st quarter start watching at the 8:10 mark McNaney makes his 1st save. It was not a pipe.
Does one save vs zero matter? He was left alone too often as I said it was on the d

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”