Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 12:00 PM

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Championship-ND Vs. MD On Monday, 05/27, At 12:00 PM

Post by Wheels »

IvyBrown wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:33 pm ND is a powerhouse - hate to say it - but they have the resources and academics to lure the top players - think they will be solid natty champs for near future.
All of the teams with significant COVID seniors and graduate transfers will take a step back next year. The portal isn't as deep this year with the Ivy COVID years finally expiring. Duke, Notre Dame, Virginia, Hopkins, and even Syracuse were really old teams. They're going to relatively young starting next season. It doesn't mean that those teams won't content next year, but there will be growing pains for sure. It's hard to see anyone running roughshod next season.

Post by 1766 »

Congrats to ND. It's not their job to keep games close, or Maryland's for that matter, but this was the least exciting FF I can remember. It would have been nice to see more competitive games.
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

Wheels wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:56 pm
IvyBrown wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:33 pm ND is a powerhouse - hate to say it - but they have the resources and academics to lure the top players - think they will be solid natty champs for near future.
All of the teams with significant COVID seniors and graduate transfers will take a step back next year. The portal isn't as deep this year with the Ivy COVID years finally expiring. Duke, Notre Dame, Virginia, Hopkins, and even Syracuse were really old teams. They're going to relatively young starting next season. It doesn't mean that those teams won't content next year, but there will be growing pains for sure. It's hard to see anyone running roughshod next season.
Good. A 24yo defenseman versus a 19yo Attack is dumb. Or vice versa. I’m generalizing of course but from close experience, it’s the reality of many college sports.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Rewatched.

Trying hard not to blame any one player, but man alive, NOT EVEN ONE SAVE IN THE FIRST HALF?!! Just being picked apart high right hand; ND saw film which shows McNaney prefers bouncers.

Team deflated after they saw their goalie wasn’t seeing much. That Taylor goal on the crease to tie it up 2-2 with no one on him (why was Burlace drifting over to an already covered Dobson?!!) was the back breaker imo. Championship gane, defense allowing a doorstep goal…you can see the energy drain away from there, other than Weirman.

John T is the best and I just don’t think he had any option other than to leave McNaney in. He obviously began to see the ball better in the second half but the damage was done by then.

If McNaney makes a few early saves then levels out at 60%, different ending. When you’re that mentally exhausted (I’d say the same happened to Maryland in ‘22 for the championship game, but different angle), it doesn’t take much to break your back.
Last edited by Finster on Tue May 28, 2024 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Finster wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:08 am Rewatched.

Trying hard not to blame any one player, but man alive, NOT EVEN ONE SAVE IN THE FIRST HALF?!! Just being picked apart high right hand; ND saw film which shows McNaney prefers bouncers.

Team deflated after they saw their goalie wasn’t seeing much. That Taylor goal on the crease to tie it up 2-2 with no one on him (why was Burlace drifting over to an already covered Dobson?!!) was the back breaker imo. Championship gane, defense allowing a doorstep goal…you can see the energy drain away from there, other than Weirman.

John T is the best and I just don’t think he had any option other than to leave McNaney in. He obviously began to see the ball better in the second half but the damage was done by then.

He makes a few early saves then levels out at 60%, different ending.
Adding to this...

ND had numbers in this sequence, why? b/c Liam made a great save and pushed it out quickly (won't see that in stats), catching Terps off balance, then as you see in the clip snip below, Burlace was stuck in no mans land b/c ND was extra (5v4) while MD was playing catching up. Not to mention, McNaney was covering (momentarily) PatKav at the same time Burlace was but they could not see one another.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
coda

Post by coda »

If McNaney makes a few early saves then levels out at 60%, different ending. When you’re that mentally exhausted (I’d say the same happened to Maryland in ‘22 for the championship game, but different angle), it doesn’t take much to break your back.
I thought both goalies struggled in the 1Q. Some weak goals given up early
Finster

Post by Finster »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:47 am

Adding to this...

ND had numbers in this sequence, why? b/c Liam made a great save and pushed it out quickly (won't see that in stats), catching Terps off balance, then as you see in the clip snip below, Burlace was stuck in no mans land b/c ND was extra (5v4) while MD was playing catching up. Not to mention, McNaney was covering (momentarily) PatKav at the same time Burlace was but they could not see one another.

Good pickup. I didn’t see that. In this instance, maybe there needs to be better awareness on Ajax’s part to disrupt the pass. Or others could have slid down to Dobson? Or McNaney needs to direct better? Or Burlace and Maryland #51 need to communicate better?
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:50 am

I agree though Entenmann righted the ship quickly whereas McNaney saw absolutely nothing into the fourth quarter tbh.

You also saw Entenmann telling his teammates ‘my bad’ on one goal, taking responsibility. Not sure that’s McNaney’s style.
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:55 am

I agree though Entenmann righted the ship quickly whereas McNaney saw absolutely nothing into the fourth quarter tbh.

You also saw Entenmann telling his teammates ‘my bad’ on one goal, taking responsibility. Not sure that’s McNaney’s style.
Not that McNaney was good, but ND was getting more quality looks.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Finster wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:51 am

Adding to this...

Good pickup. I didn’t see that. In this instance, maybe there needs to be better awareness on Ajax’s part to disrupt the pass. Or others could have slid down to Dobson? Or McNaney needs to direct better? Or Burlace and Maryland #51 need to communicate better?
Hard to blame any one person....a case could be made that Schaller had no business being that far away from the crease in transition. Most of them in this clip had poor positioning where they could not see their man and the ball. The golden rule is everyone 'get in the hole' on transition, then, you can work out. I think Terps were so locked in on maintaining matchups (the entire game) that simple fundamental elements of defense fell apart. Alternatively, ND's defense trusted each and every player on their D unit could manage their matchup.....and that is not just vs. Terps, it's a signature of their DC.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Finster

Post by Finster »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:04 am
Finster wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:51 am

Adding to this...

Hard to blame any one person....a case could be made that Schaller had no business being that far away from the crease in transition. Most of them in this clip had poor positioning where they could not see their man and the ball. The golden rule is everyone 'get in the hole' on transition, then, you can work out. I think Terps were so locked in on maintaining matchups (the entire game) that simple fundamental elements of defense fell apart. Alternatively, ND's defense trusted each and every player on their D unit could manage their matchup.....and that is not just vs. Terps, it's a signature of their DC.

Those are very good points. Solid analysis.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I couldn’t believe both d men drifting away from crease on that goal. Immediately thinking about the Tillman greatest coach since god advised Adam thread.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Entemann didn’t see the first two but well before end of Q1 he adjusted
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Don't understand giving P Kav space and free hands to dissect Maryland D with his quick passing to openings and cutters. He needed to be closed on and pressed from the moment the ball was being delivered to him. Mcnaney might have been off in 1h but Weirman dominated face-offs which limited the carnage, despite that wide disparity ND would have put up twenty plus if they didn't slow pace with large lead . Most at gathering who aren't all that familiar with lax lost interest watching as came off as a jv varsity scrimmage which was very disappointing especially after the long delay. Feel for Terps who surpassed expectations , had a expected a close game but ND despite the early season loss to Grown might just be one of the greatest teams if you look at the talented teams that they dismantled this year
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Team deflated after they saw their goalie wasn’t seeing much. That Taylor goal on the crease to tie it up 2-2 with no one on him (why was Burlace drifting over to an already covered Dobson?!!) was the back breaker imo. Championship gane, defense allowing a doorstep goal…you can see the energy drain away from there, other than Weirman. Which came first ? Perhaps the goalie, got deflated, after that second goal ? Could have sworn Terps goalie saved a shot, with Anish stating after " ....a question mark, and McNaey had the answer.." in the first half Perhaps, my misremembering goes along with sucks penchant for "misinformation". ;)

ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:45 am

I couldn’t believe both d men drifting away from crease on that goal. Immediately thinking about the Tillman greatest coach since god advised Adam thread.
Tills sleep with your wife or something? Pretty fixated on this
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

McNaney did not have a great game, but I don't see how anyone can lay the loss at his feet. ND got a LOT of good looks. If you list the 5 best best O players on the field, I don't see how 4 of them aren't ND - the brothers Kav, Faison and Dobson.
Suitcase

Post by Suitcase »

Irish played 9 offensive middies yesterday. 8 of them had goals. Impressive and hard to do. Hard to tell Dobson and faison and mclane and gray , that your stats are only gonna be 70% of what they could be, but in the long run we hope it works out. Kudos to the ND “ stars “ who didn’t care about stats
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Suitcase wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:29 am Irish played 9 offensive middies yesterday. 8 of them had goals. Impressive and hard to do. Hard to tell Dobson and faison and mclane and gray , that your stats are only gonna be 70% of what they could be, but in the long run we hope it works out. Kudos to the ND “ stars “ who didn’t care about stats
This team understood it takes everybody to win a championship, from P Kav to the last guy on the depth chart. Corrigan pointed out in the post game presser being able to run depth not only wears on your opponent, but it’s great for the locker room. More guys contributing, more guys to cheer for, less guys potentially upset about playing time. I’m pretty damn positive none of those guys are trading a second ring for an extra 10 goals on their stat sheet
coda

Post by coda »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:05 am McNaney did not have a great game, but I don't see how anyone can lay the loss at his feet. ND got a LOT of good looks. If you list the 5 best best O players on the field, I don't see how 4 of them aren't ND - the brothers Kav, Faison and Dobson.
Agree.. it would be great if lacrosse stats grew to the point, where you could get shot charts. Percentage of shots inside 5 yards, 10 yards, etc.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”