Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Brown 2024

Post by bearlaxfan »

IvyBrown wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:58 am Anyone hearing anything? Rumors? Tidbits?
No, I'm not tapped in to official or unofficial sources. I suppose the search is on but waiting to see how the playoffs play out. If that's the case, here's a cautionary tale:

In 1969 the Patriots were looking for a new head coach, and narrowed the search down to 2 men; an AC on the AFL champion Jets, and an AC on the NFL champion Colts. The story goes that the Pat's ownership and search group decided to offer the job to the AC of the Super Bowl winning team. Jets won, Clive Rush was offered and took the job- lasted 2 or 3 years. The Colt AC being targeted was Chuck Noll, who went on to win 4 SBs with the Steelers. Not saying Noll would have approached those accomplishments in New England, but it is interesting. As an aside Noll was 2nd choice in Pittsburgh; took the offer after Joe Paterno said no.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

AD is thorough and methodical - new hire will have to exceed on her rubric…communicator/charismatic/ player developer/appreciates Brown’s uniqueness/ projects to be in Ivy Tourney annually/discipliner/ recruiting contacts/ teacher….hire by Memorial Day…..salary to be whatever it takes to land the top candidate….must embrace outstanding alum network and tap into such to attract the best recruits…..must lead what is anticipated to be a premiere program on a national level….will be a premiere program at Brown….all 2024 and 2025 recruits are solid and appreciate that the new coach will be an outstanding mentor to them and that expectations are the highest ….no hidden deals…much interest from sitting head coaches and top assistants in top programs reported …….lot of rhetoric I know but this AD has the wherewithals and depth of acuity to reach the bar established…
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Brown coach web page still has the AC's listed. Formality I suppose, but you know a new coach will want to pick his (or her) assistants.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Counselor wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:39 am AD is thorough and methodical - new hire will have to exceed on her rubric…communicator/charismatic/ player developer/appreciates Brown’s uniqueness/ projects to be in Ivy Tourney annually/discipliner/ recruiting contacts/ teacher….hire by Memorial Day…..salary to be whatever it takes to land the top candidate….must embrace outstanding alum network and tap into such to attract the best recruits…..must lead what is anticipated to be a premiere program on a national level….will be a premiere program at Brown….all 2024 and 2025 recruits are solid and appreciate that the new coach will be an outstanding mentor to them and that expectations are the highest ….no hidden deals…much interest from sitting head coaches and top assistants in top programs reported …….lot of rhetoric I know but this AD has the wherewithals and depth of acuity to reach the bar established…

LOVE IT!
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Assistant coaches remain employed to head the program until the new coach is retained ….he will then determine their status….recruiting continues….dealing with committed recruits continues…
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Counselor wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:39 am AD is thorough and methodical - new hire will have to exceed on her rubric…communicator/charismatic/ player developer/appreciates Brown’s uniqueness/ projects to be in Ivy Tourney annually/discipliner/ recruiting contacts/ teacher….hire by Memorial Day…..salary to be whatever it takes to land the top candidate….must embrace outstanding alum network and tap into such to attract the best recruits…..must lead what is anticipated to be a premiere program on a national level….will be a premiere program at Brown….all 2024 and 2025 recruits are solid and appreciate that the new coach will be an outstanding mentor to them and that expectations are the highest ….no hidden deals…much interest from sitting head coaches and top assistants in top programs reported …….lot of rhetoric I know but this AD has the wherewithals and depth of acuity to reach the bar established…
Can confirm this…hearing a hire by late May. Alumni are playing heavy into this one too. Don’t be surprised if it’s one of their own. Think some of the old guard didn’t like that MD wasn’t a Brown Bear (I personally don’t think it’s a big deal but they do). Gonna be an innovative mind who can adapt to the changing D1 game. Think there are some clear top level candidates that will fit this criteria. Just waiting for some of the first dominoes to fall.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Personally I don't care where the next coach went to school; it's not like the Brown alums didn't move on to bigger/better as well! That's coaching.
Coaching style matters, but maybe less than in the pre-shot clock era? The clock constrains some of the things a coach can do to win, especially against more talented teams. Slowing the game down is harder. Not saying I like the old slow-down style, but I do like winning. ;)

"It's not the Xs and Os, it's the Billys and Joes." Recruit superior players so other teams have to adapt to what and whatever you do.

ETA: How 'bout DeLuca? Ivy experience. I know the history, but that was Cornell, not Brown.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Brown is not a premier job on the national level. It's not a premier job in the Ivy league none the less. No issue saying its a good job, but premier on a national level is false
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

courtdog wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:25 pm
Brown is not a premier job on the national level. It's not a premier job in the Ivy league none the less. No issue saying its a good job, but premier on a national level is false
its a good thing Brown is not consulting "courtdog" for advice. There are many examples of "good job" schools becoming "premier job" schools based on the very issue at hand: hiring the right coach. Brown has made the final 4 in recent history, has a ton of funding, a new stadium and new indoor practice arena being built, is in a terrific city and in the Ivy League. It has an AD and alumni base that is fully in support of lax. The right coach and Brown can become a top destination. They just bought out Daly's guaranteed contract; estimated to be a $750k buy-out. Name another school that would do that?
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

IvyBrown wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:47 pm
courtdog wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:25 pm
its a good thing Brown is not consulting "courtdog" for advice. There are many examples of "good job" schools becoming "premier job" schools based on the very issue at hand: hiring the right coach. Brown has made the final 4 in recent history, has a ton of funding, a new stadium and new indoor practice arena being built, is in a terrific city and in the Ivy League. It has an AD and alumni base that is fully in support of lax. The right coach and Brown can become a top destination. They just bought out Daly's guaranteed contract; estimated to be a $750k buy-out. Name another school that would do that?
Premier jobs on a national level: Syracuse, Duke, UVA, Hop, ND, UNC, MD
CU77

Post by CU77 »

courtdog wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:21 pm Premier jobs on a national level: Syracuse, Duke, UVA, Hop, ND, UNC, MD
Yep. At just a notch below, I would add the other B1Gs and maybe Denver and GT.

I note that Brown's last two HCs (before Daly) both left to coach at one of these.

This is not a dis on Brown. Cornell has lost three HCs to the greener (green as in $) pastures of these schools, Harvard one, Princeton one. Recognized top coaching talent flows out of the Ivies, it has to be unrecognized to flow in. This seems to happen more by luck than by AD skill at spotting it.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:55 pm
courtdog wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:21 pm Premier jobs on a national level: Syracuse, Duke, UVA, Hop, ND, UNC, MD

I note that Brown's last two HCs (before Daly) both left to coach at one of these.

This is not a dis on Brown. Cornell has lost three HCs to the greener (green as in $) pastures of these schools, Harvard one, Princeton one. Recognized top coaching talent flows out of the Ivies, it has to be unrecognized to flow in. This seems to happen more by luck than by AD skill at spotting it.
Has GT ever won a natty? I do agree, however the first poster basically lists the ACC plus Maryland and Hopkins, which is geographically the ACC footprint - the latter two schools have a deep history in Lacrosse in addition. Georgetown is late to the game so to speak, but I agree it is a premier job Winning makes places premier jobs The ivy leagues do have the burden of needing good students - most have a 5% acceptance rate overall. But I think coaching at an Ivy League school has its added benefits that could allow student athletes to attend an ivy league school that otherwise could they would not. There are more stories of students choosing an ivy when they could’ve played at one of the Premier schools listed above for that very reason With the ban on graduate students in the Ivy the talent that plays in the IL is on full display. I think premier coaching job is broader than the lost you have. No knock on the schools listed but there is simply no doubt the IL is unique and above academically. For many that makes it a destination and thus premier jobs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

IvyBrown wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:03 am

Has GT ever won a natty? I do agree, however the first poster basically lists the ACC plus Maryland and Hopkins, which is geographically the ACC footprint - the latter two schools have a deep history in Lacrosse in addition. Georgetown is late to the game so to speak, but I agree it is a premier job Winning makes places premier jobs The ivy leagues do have the burden of needing good students - most have a 5% acceptance rate overall. But I think coaching at an Ivy League school has its added benefits that could allow student athletes to attend an ivy league school that otherwise could they would not. There are more stories of students choosing an ivy when they could’ve played at one of the Premier schools listed above for that very reason With the ban on graduate students in the Ivy the talent that plays in the IL is on full display. I think premier coaching job is broader than the lost you have. No knock on the schools listed but there is simply no doubt the IL is unique and above academically. For many that makes it a destination and thus premier jobs.
And yet Petro, Tierney, Milliman, Tambroni, Lars, Dom and on and on always seem to leave eventually. Georgetown doesn't have the history but between Urick and second of of warnes run here they have been in the quarters probably 2/3 of the time. That ECAC in the 2000s was nasty too, often got three in the playoffs. Even if it was a push Urick left GT to retire. Warne seems like hes getting comfortable there and decent odds of hanging until hes done in DC.

Great though the ivies may history shows they aren't for whatever reason destination jobs when most leave of their own volition for other jobs even after winning titles.

You're going to really have to swing from Shay's nuts to argue against that.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Could throw in sowell leaving dart for sbu and a few others.

Will be interesting to see how shays career unfolds.
See Martin, Malcolm
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Sounds like you or someone you know may have received a “thank you for applying but we regret to inform you…”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

IvyBrown wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:22 pm Sounds like you or someone you know may have received a “thank you for applying but we regret to inform you…”
Actually back in my day they his waitlist thing and you could actually get in off it. I got that late acceptance letter from Brown around not quite 30yrs ago.

You what’s a surprisingly petty and low brow response to someone pointing out facts? See the post above. Petty and inferred which makes me smile even more reading it.

Also as I’ve shared in brown threads before had a good friend who caught Cte in service of brown while being an midfielder captain (Mike alberelli, he football and the fight we were in with he NJ devils because he looked like and drunkenly talks ish to former NHL d man Scott Gomez and defiantly caught a concussion there but numerous in college the way he tells it never complaint they only really diagnosed 1/5 then).

I have no beef with brown. But have always had issues with petty defensive sycophants.

If you really want an explanation you don’t deserve at all the backup post was in defense of CU77, a legit IVY poster and person, after the pushback to him before. That and I personally know Dave Urick so not close to gtowns program but there was a period I was closer bc of Dave/.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Tue May 14, 2024 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

IvyBrown wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:22 pm Sounds like you or someone you know may have received a “thank you for applying but we regret to inform you…”
Actually back in my day they his waitlist thing and you could actually get in off it. I got that late acceptance letter from Brown around not quite 30yrs ago.

You what’s a surprisingly petty and low brow response to someone pointing out facts? See the post above. Petty and inferred which makes me smile even more reading it.

Also as I’ve shared in brown threads before had a good friend who caught Cte in service of brown while being an midfielder captain (Mike alberelli, he football and the fight we were in with he NJ devils because he looked like and drunkenly talks ish to former NHL d man Scott Gomez and defiantly caught a concussion there but numerous in college the way he tells it never complaint they only really diagnosed 1/5 then).

I have no beef with brown. But have always had issues with petty defensive sycophants.
See Martin, Malcolm

Post by 1766 »

LOL
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I see the Rutgers bottom feeder is still trying to swing from my nuts.
See Martin, Malcolm
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:26 pm

I have to tell you - the way you write sometimes, makes it really difficult to even follow you.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”