Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Re: Brown 2024

Post by gymman1031 »

Laxinmay wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:14 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:48 pm Could it be Ryan Wellner?
Please no. We want him back at Navy. But good for him if it is.
Don't get me wrong. I want to see him at Navy, too. I live in Annapolis.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:31 pm According to this, it's "averse":

https://www.quora.com/Diction-and-Word- ... mmatically

But my degree is in engineering ...
For the record you get one of the Cornell passes with the Hobart cult like Joe Willie. This is a compliment but I think of you somewhat like Kent Davison, a wildly efficient and focused data analytics expert in the White House but a real human being too like here:

https://youtu.be/nrfyIz5XnrY?si=y1-1Il_l9egdo5mc
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:07 pm

For the record you get one of the Cornell passes with the Hobart cult like Joe Willie. This is a compliment but I think of you somewhat like Kent Davison, a wildly efficient and focused data analytics expert in the White House but a real human being too like here:

Will you two nerds get a room
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

IvyBrown wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:37 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:07 pm

Will you two nerds get a room
I’m an exhibitionist. Sorry.
Laxnation

Post by Laxnation »

Brown needs an offensive minded head coach. John Crawley stands out to me because he played midfield in the PLL and had great success coaching the offensive at Notre Dame, Lehigh and is currently the OC at Hopkins. Daly's offensive coordinator was absolutely terrible in every aspect of the game and a good offensive coach can turn things around quicky for the Bears.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

I think the formula is some head coach experience. Head coach needs to have charisma be able to handle the program be the face of the program most importantly recruit You could add offensive coordinators, but having the ability to have run another program is ideal Whether that candidate exists, I don’t know If not, I still think the most important aspect is charisma leadership and you can backfill with coaches that are gurus on offense and defense Now, if you have a head coach, that is also a guru well that’s a home run but those are unicorns in any sport.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

IvyBrown wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:12 am I think the formula is some head coach experience. Head coach needs to have charisma be able to handle the program be the face of the program most importantly recruit You could add offensive coordinators, but having the ability to have run another program is ideal Whether that candidate exists, I don’t know If not, I still think the most important aspect is charisma leadership and you can backfill with coaches that are gurus on offense and defense Now, if you have a head coach, that is also a guru well that’s a home run but those are unicorns in any sport.
I agree with this 100%. I do think there are some assistants out there that fit this bill with the charisma to be the face of the program and recruit. But I think you are spot on.
laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

What would you guess the Brown job is paying?
I think most of these coaches are in the 300k range, I could be very wrong.
What are the coaches salaries?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

laxfanatic wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:20 am What would you guess the Brown job is paying?
Is that in pesos? (Thanks, I'm here all week!)

Let's look at this another way: for years in the AFC East the aim was to build a team that could beat the Patriots. Spectacular fail for the most part by the other teams. The Pat's aim was to build a team that could beat Denver, the Colts, Chargers, Steelers, Chiefs, depending on the time frame.

Up through 2022 I would have said Brown's- and everyone else's- aim was to build a team to beat Yale. (I mean obviously you want to beat everyone, but Eli was the consistent banner team: approach that level and you were OK) Now? There's so much talent at the other schools, players and coaches, that the hire has to have a real vision for program (re)building. That would look like an experienced head coach should be the choice. But who would be willing?
Is the Brown lacrosse community willing to give a current AC hire the time to make his mistakes and (hopefully) grow into the job? IDK.
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

IvyBrown wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:12 am I think the formula is some head coach experience. Head coach needs to have charisma be able to handle the program be the face of the program most importantly recruit You could add offensive coordinators, but having the ability to have run another program is ideal Whether that candidate exists, I don’t know If not, I still think the most important aspect is charisma leadership and you can backfill with coaches that are gurus on offense and defense Now, if you have a head coach, that is also a guru well that’s a home run but those are unicorns in any sport.
While I would generally agree with this there is a big difference between an AC with over 20 years of experience (Wellner/Cassesse) versus one with 6 years (Crawley). Some of the ACs at top 5 programs (think it's safe to say ND and UVA are in that category) bring much more applicable experience to the table than someone with HC credentials at a program that has enjoyed some success but doesn't regularly compete for 5 star recruits and national titles. That coach just "resigned".
Backinshape

Post by Backinshape »

Any chance that this process began last summer and now Brown is going through the motions?
Cassease's decision to step away from Lehigh to take an assistant role on Lars's staff caused a lot of head scratching. That move makes a lot more sense if he gets handed the keys to Lars's old program / alma mater.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:12 am
laxfanatic wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:20 am What would you guess the Brown job is paying?
Is that in pesos? (Thanks, I'm here all week!)

Let's look at this another way: for years in the AFC East the aim was to build a team that could beat the Patriots. Spectacular fail for the most part by the other teams. The Pat's aim was to build a team that could beat Denver, the Colts, Chargers, Steelers, Chiefs, depending on the time frame.

Up through 2022 I would have said Brown's- and everyone else's- aim was to build a team to beat Yale. (I mean obviously you want to beat everyone, but Eli was the consistent banner team: approach that level and you were OK) Now? There's so much talent at the other schools, players and coaches, that the hire has to have a real vision for program (re)building. That would look like an experienced head coach should be the choice. But who would be willing?
Is the Brown lacrosse community willing to give a current AC hire the time to make his mistakes and (hopefully) grow into the job? IDK.
Shekels

I hear a lot about 1-2 NESCAC guys but if you really want HC experience youth and pop it’s not coming via d1 I don’t think. Is there any other similar schools outside the NESCAC you should be looking like centennial or a W&L type?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Backinshape wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:35 am Any chance that this process began last summer and now Brown is going through the motions?
Cassease's decision to step away from Lehigh to take an assistant role on Lars's staff caused a lot of head scratching. That move makes a lot more sense if he gets handed the keys to Lars's old program / alma mater.
Not enoigh dough for this to happen and I think it might be legally problematic. Not a HR/employment lawyer though. Generally speaking Occam would like you to see a razor for a better solution.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

IvyBrown wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:06 pm I think with the right attitude Brown can be a destination job. I think it is important to follow how other now hall of fame coaches have built “stepping stone” jobs to destination jobs. The road maps are out there. 1. Hire someone that has ties to Brown whether directly or indirectly; 2. Need charisma as it is a CEO type job being the head coach; 3. Provide enough support to allow the coach to thrive.

There are some very real examples out there on other sports where the programs prior to such a coach arriving was a stepping stone. Coach K at Duke (Duke a joke prior). Coach Wright at Villanova (not a joke but not the blue blood he made it while there; while he didnt go to villanova his wife did and after success stayed for that reason among others.

Jim Valvano said “dont mess with happy” and that means to hire someone with Brown ties who will stay. Now if that person exists I dont know but Brown should be aiming for national championships It takes the right attitude to instill this mentality.
“CEO type.” So, looking for a sociopath?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Sounds like somebody might have gotten laid off.

Looking for a leader / winner that the kids and alumni want to follow

(And yes I realize there are some ceo type socios out there!- dont want that version)
coda

Post by coda »

Laxnation wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:05 am Brown needs an offensive minded head coach. John Crawley stands out to me because he played midfield in the PLL and had great success coaching the offensive at Notre Dame, Lehigh and is currently the OC at Hopkins. Daly's offensive coordinator was absolutely terrible in every aspect of the game and a good offensive coach can turn things around quicky for the Bears.
If you wander in the Hopkins thread, you may get more than a few people offering to drive Crawley to Brown to get the deal done.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

coda wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:12 pm
Laxnation wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:05 am Brown needs an offensive minded head coach. John Crawley stands out to me because he played midfield in the PLL and had great success coaching the offensive at Notre Dame, Lehigh and is currently the OC at Hopkins. Daly's offensive coordinator was absolutely terrible in every aspect of the game and a good offensive coach can turn things around quicky for the Bears.
If you wander in the Hopkins thread, you may get more than a few people offering to drive Crawley to Brown to get the deal done.
Koesterer will get a head coaching gig before Crawley. Hop thread is tearing Crawley to shreds sheezzzz
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

Trevor Yeboah-Kodie is trying out for the Buffalo Bills at their Rookie Mini-Camp
https://twitter.com/BuffaloBillsPR/stat ... 7883527530
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Anyone hearing anything? Rumors? Tidbits?
lorin

Post by lorin »

IvyBrown wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:58 am Anyone hearing anything? Rumors? Tidbits?
What about the Army assistant coaches?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”