Re: NESCAC

Post by NNELax »

BallHunt wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:32 pm
NNELax wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:01 am
BallHunt wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:56 am
smoova wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 pm
NNELax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 pm
smoova wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:26 am
NNELax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am I would venture to guess some of those LL kids were strung along in the recruiting process at some of the NESCAC schools they are now beating...karma
IME, your guess is not correct. I know a bunch of kids playing in/committed to programs in both leagues and AFAIK this did not happen to any of them. Rather, NESCAC coaches were brutally transparent about where kids stood, particularly with respect to admissibility, in order to ensure that no one passed on interest from LL (or any other) schools while they waited for July 1/August 1 to roll around. Perfect example of this is SLU's top recruit in the most-recent class.
False...watched it happen to more than a few kids during my time coaching HS lacrosse....You can say it doesn't happen....but I know it does....
Interesting - didn't happen to any of the kids I know who were talking to NESCAC coaches and are currently playing or committed to play at LL schools. Maybe they were lucky ... stringing kids along certainly occurs in every level of lacrosse recruiting.
Unfortunately this happened to my player. Communication all the way to 7/1, then crickets - Thompson, Campbell. Danalfo, to his credit, admitted they began looking at my guy very late, and likely would not make an offer.

I imagine Amherst has changed their ways, but their methods not only came across as disingenuous, but also as actively preventing kids from taking offers at other schools, trying to keep the clock ticking so coaches would move through their lists thus boxing kids out. Just shameful to mess with kids, families, and futures this way.

Thankfully my player's situation worked out well. Families need to do a lot of homework and contact current players on the teams to understand their experiences.
+1
Like them apples...
It's just nice to have people on here rooted in reality...
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Jumbo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:26 am
justanotherperson wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:29 am
D1: 1-30
D3: 1-3
D1: 31-50
D2: 1-5
D3: 4-20
D1: 51-76
D2: 6-20
D3: 21-75
High School: 1-10
MCLA: 1-10
D2: 21-76 / D3 76-245
this is a really good list. i would suggest there are a few randoms that you could throw in. top 1-3 HS and top 1-3 MCLA can compete with D1 65-76 , D2 10-15, and D3 25-35

D1 65-76 are not D1 caliber teams.
Jumbo
Calllaxdad
Laxxal

I was trying to be friendly being cognizant of the one D1 team vs the NESCAC that happened a few weeks ago :D :lol: If I really gave my true (troll) feelings, I would definitely move HS top five up (i think Lawrenceville could beat D1 65-76) and MCLA top five up as well and move d1 65-76 and D3 5-75 down. I agree that D1 65-76 are "D1 name in only" but I was aware of the "sensitivity" of the subject but I see there has been some fighting on the CLC fourm so maybe it will stay there...

On the NESCAC front, Middlebury and Amherst continues to Jekyll and Hyde their play, though give credit to a decent Lynchburg team. Pre season, I would have picked CC above Trinity based on the buzz but I agree that the wheels have fallen off. Respectable showing by Colby. Nothing against the GVA era but I was expecting a score similar to those games. Moved a freshman pole into the starting lineup may have helped

Finally on the recruiting front, we never took offense to the ghosting by some of the NESCAC coaches though some could have been more transparent. I tell kids its similar to a high school dance back in the day: everyone is looking at everybody in the beginning and seeing who they can partner with and before you know it, there are a lot of kids dancing alone unfortunately. I found the Middlebury and Williams coaches to be the most transparent and upfront and took the time to communicate, even after they have moved on. They were a class act that all coaches should strive to be but I think they are from a different era. Amherst and Bowdoin were not as great at communication; again, younger coaches maybe from this current era. Colby cast a very wide net in the beginning reaching out to a lot of people but their communication was not great. Trinity and CC seemed like they were throwing spaghetti on the wall and looking to see what stuck as they seemed to recruit larger classes. Wesleyan seemed a little "distant"; their prospect day was not run very well. And tufts is tufts. This was back a few years and not meant to slight any program. Its business; best not to take it personal, like a school dance.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

justanotherperson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:56 am
Jumbo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:26 am
justanotherperson wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:29 am
D1: 1-30
D3: 1-3
D1: 31-50
D2: 1-5
D3: 4-20
D1: 51-76
D2: 6-20
D3: 21-75
High School: 1-10
MCLA: 1-10
D2: 21-76 / D3 76-245
this is a really good list. i would suggest there are a few randoms that you could throw in. top 1-3 HS and top 1-3 MCLA can compete with D1 65-76 , D2 10-15, and D3 25-35

D1 65-76 are not D1 caliber teams.
Jumbo
Calllaxdad
Laxxal

I was trying to be friendly being cognizant of the one D1 team vs the NESCAC that happened a few weeks ago :D :lol: If I really gave my true (troll) feelings, I would definitely move HS top five up (i think Lawrenceville could beat D1 65-76) and MCLA top five up as well and move d1 65-76 and D3 5-75 down. I agree that D1 65-76 are "D1 name in only" but I was aware of the "sensitivity" of the subject but I see there has been some fighting on the CLC fourm so maybe it will stay there...

On the NESCAC front, Middlebury and Amherst continues to Jekyll and Hyde their play, though give credit to a decent Lynchburg team. Pre season, I would have picked CC above Trinity based on the buzz but I agree that the wheels have fallen off. Respectable showing by Colby. Nothing against the GVA era but I was expecting a score similar to those games. Moved a freshman pole into the starting lineup may have helped

Finally on the recruiting front, we never took offense to the ghosting by some of the NESCAC coaches though some could have been more transparent. I tell kids its similar to a high school dance back in the day: everyone is looking at everybody in the beginning and seeing who they can partner with and before you know it, there are a lot of kids dancing alone unfortunately. I found the Middlebury and Williams coaches to be the most transparent and upfront and took the time to communicate, even after they have moved on. They were a class act that all coaches should strive to be but I think they are from a different era. Amherst and Bowdoin were not as great at communication; again, younger coaches maybe from this current era. Colby cast a very wide net in the beginning reaching out to a lot of people but their communication was not great. Trinity and CC seemed like they were throwing spaghetti on the wall and looking to see what stuck as they seemed to recruit larger classes. Wesleyan seemed a little "distant"; their prospect day was not run very well. And tufts is tufts. This was back a few years and not meant to slight any program. Its business; best not to take it personal, like a school dance.
The reason I would say a Lawrenceville could beat a lower level D1 program is that half the Lawrenceville roster are PG guys so they are old enough to be in college already. And, they are high level D1 commits who are talented AF (as my kids would say!)

And I like the high school dance analogy!! Well done!
TucoBPJMRamirez

Post by TucoBPJMRamirez »

callaxdad wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:22 pm
justanotherperson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:56 am Finally on the recruiting front, we never took offense to the ghosting by some of the NESCAC coaches though some could have been more transparent. I tell kids its similar to a high school dance back in the day: everyone is looking at everybody in the beginning and seeing who they can partner with and before you know it, there are a lot of kids dancing alone unfortunately. I found the Middlebury and Williams coaches to be the most transparent and upfront and took the time to communicate, even after they have moved on. They were a class act that all coaches should strive to be but I think they are from a different era. Amherst and Bowdoin were not as great at communication; again, younger coaches maybe from this current era. Colby cast a very wide net in the beginning reaching out to a lot of people but their communication was not great. Trinity and CC seemed like they were throwing spaghetti on the wall and looking to see what stuck as they seemed to recruit larger classes. Wesleyan seemed a little "distant"; their prospect day was not run very well. And tufts is tufts. This was back a few years and not meant to slight any program. Its business; best not to take it personal, like a school dance.
And I like the high school dance analogy!! Well done!
But, but ... what 'bout 'dem apples? :(
ToeDipper78

Post by ToeDipper78 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Very similar experience ... Williams, Middlebury, Bowdoin excellent communication and smooth process. Amherst, Colby good but almost excessive comms which spun wheels. Tufts too cool for school. Wes distant and hard to read. Trin, Conn just piles of bad. Sorry, no Hamilton or Bates outreach.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

ToeDipper78 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:26 pm
[/quote]

Very similar experience ... Williams, Middlebury, Bowdoin excellent communication and smooth process. Amherst, Colby good but almost excessive comms which spun wheels. Tufts too cool for school. Wes distant and hard to read. Trin, Conn just piles of bad. Sorry, no Hamilton or Bates outreach.
[/quote]

Thanks ToeDipper! Sometimes validation is needed for me when I post recruiting thoughts with such a low "n". I too have no Hamilton or Bates experience but I think you summed NESCAC recruiting much better than I did.

Calllaxdad: you are absolutely right on Lawrenceville - the only thing I will say is that I heard they have no PG's but since many of them are re-classed, I think it is essentially the same as they are all old teenagers. I think they will win the High School "championship / ranking" again this year and hot take: if they were to be ranked in D1 I would slot them in around 55...
slippinjimmy

Post by slippinjimmy »

Midway through the season here. Any thoughts on rankings? / Any surprises?

Looks to me like Tufts GAP Bowdoin/Midd GAP everyone else.

Interested to hear what NESCAC fans are thinking.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Outside of Tufts, I really have no idea. Amherst goalie with an extremely rough day vs Lynchburg, outside of that they would have OOC with over Lynchburg, Swarthmore and Gettysburg. I know the southern teams have struggled mightily vs northern but that is still a very strong resume. Can't ignore the loss vs Middlebury but the Panthers seem to have regressed since then. I guess at this point I would say:

1. Tufts
gap
2. Amherst
3. Bowdoin
4. Midd
gap
5. Wes
6. Williams
gap
7. Hamilton
8. Colby
9. Trinity
gap
10. Bates
11. CC
Last edited by pcowlax on Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

slippinjimmy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:30 am Midway through the season here. Any thoughts on rankings? / Any surprises?

Right now Tufts looks to be head and shoulders above the rest of the NESCAC. However, all 4 of their league wins thus far have come against the bottom half of the conference standings. That said, if you look at scores amongst common opponents versus the top half of the league, there is a wide disparity in the results. Nothing earth shattering there! We’ll know more this week and as April continues to unfold!
Laxguy456

Post by Laxguy456 »

slippinjimmy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:30 am Midway through the season here. Any thoughts on rankings? / Any surprises?

Mid-Season Rankings (pre-season ranking):
1. Tufts (up from 3)
2. Bowdoin (down from 1)
3. Middlebury (down from 2)
4. Amherst (up from 7)
5. Williams (same)
6. Wesleyan (same)
7. Hamilton (up from 9)
8. Colby (up from 10)
9. Trinity (down from 8)
10. Connecticut College (down from 4)
11. Bates (same)

Biggest surprise is the Camels…
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:20 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:52 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:45 pm Teams such as Gettysburg, Lynchburg, CNU, W&L, previously York somehow are supposed to get credit for beating each other. Babson and Endicott are easily as impressive wins as any of those teams have vs each other.
CNU over Dickinson
= not teams you mentioned playing against each other, and far better than Endicott and Babson. :roll:

#downyear
Dickinson 😂😂 And they have beaten who? A classic one of your examples of a team ranked based pre-season hype and insular games. They beat 2-6 York. WOW! And Stevens…whose best win is over a team you say sucks. Dickinson was blown out by an obviously extremely overrated CNU. See how fun this is?!! All of the teams you hyped best wins are vs each other. #worthlesswins
Pcow, how does this logic translate when all your beloved teams play each other in conference in the NESCAC and all beat each other..??

Quite the contradiction you've got yourself into.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

StevieUAlum wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:04 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:45 pm Teams such as Gettysburg, Lynchburg, CNU, W&L, previously York somehow are supposed to get credit for beating each other. Babson and Endicott are easily as impressive wins as any of those teams have vs each other.
CNU over Dickinson
= not teams you mentioned playing against each other, and far better than Endicott and Babson. :roll:

#downyear
Dickinson 😂😂 And they have beaten who? A classic one of your examples of a team ranked based pre-season hype and insular games. They beat 2-6 York. WOW! And Stevens…whose best win is over a team you say sucks. Dickinson was blown out by an obviously extremely overrated CNU. See how fun this is?!! All of the teams you hyped best wins are vs each other. #worthlesswins
Pcow, how does this logic translate when all your beloved teams play each other in conference in the NESCAC and all beat each other..??

and let me blow your mind.
2-6 york, that was just mocked. played RIT tighter then Tufts. does that mean York is better then Tufts? whoa.

yes, this is sarcasm. but with a splash of reality. some teams match up better against other teams. but in Dickinson defense, at least they play a tough OOC schedule compared to some other teams
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Jumbo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:18 pm
CNU over Dickinson

#downyear

2-6 york, that was just mocked. played RIT tighter then Tufts. does that mean York is better then Tufts? whoa.

yes, this is sarcasm. but with a splash of reality. some teams match up better against other teams. but in Dickinson defense, at least they play a tough OOC schedule compared to some other teams
OOC SOS is really my only argument against a lot of Northern teams this year outside of RIT, Tufts and SLU.

Being an early 2010's Stevie guy I just have so much more respect for the Tufts and RITs of the world bc they've shyed away from no one for over a decade. Just my personal opinion. Also this whole North "dominance" thing confuses me bc unless you're Tufts, RIT or Wesleyan you haven't dominated anyone, especially come tourney time.

Huge drop off between tier 1 and tier 2 in both the NESCAC and LL. Any tier 2 team in those conferences would have the same struggles as they do now playing in the NESCAC if they played in the ODAC or Centennial. Good lacrosse is good lacrosse, don't discredit based off emotions and bias.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Lecturing about emotions and bias after blaming all northern teams for Salisbury never playing any of them or traveling to face OOC opponents…come on man. A lot of this is based on feelings in the first place.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Jumbo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:18 pm
CNU over Dickinson

#downyear

Jumbo, you mentioned York above, who is an abysmal 3-6...I'm not sure what the context is why you referred to them, I haven't read all of the texts previous to yours so my bad but, if one digs deeper into their record you will find....

Lost to #1 Salisbury 17-11, not a horrible loss
Lost by a single goal to #2 RPI, #3 RIT, #5 SLU
Lost to #6 Dickinson by 3
Lost to a decent 7-4 Grove City team by 2

Not saying they are a really good team but their record is definitely misleading, IMO.

My guess is they will easily make the tourney by winning the MAC Commonwealth AQ, be a lower seed by virtue of their record and a team who no one will want to see!
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

ah23 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:29 pm Lecturing about emotions and bias after blaming all northern teams for Salisbury never playing any of them or traveling to face OOC opponents…come on man. A lot of this is based on feelings in the first place.
Not emotional over here.

Just stating a simple fact that no North teams outside of Tufts and RIT play a tough OOC schedule. Again, if you want to be the best, beat the best.

Talk is cheap, especially when year and year out claiming the North is always "dominate." Too much kool aid drinking going on.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

As a Stevens alum you have to realize you've got a geographical blessing in terms of how many opponents are a 3-5 hour bus ride away. Between the large number of league games, the late start date (Salisbury plays games before the NESCAC starts practicing), half the schools being in the boonies, and the administrations really not liking class time being missed for athletics, the opportunities to go out of region for out of conference games is tough. It's more logistics more than anything else.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:14 am
ah23 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:29 pm Lecturing about emotions and bias after blaming all northern teams for Salisbury never playing any of them or traveling to face OOC opponents…come on man. A lot of this is based on feelings in the first place.
Not emotional over here.

Just stating a simple fact that no North teams outside of Tufts and RIT play a tough OOC schedule. Again, if you want to be the best, beat the best.

Talk is cheap, especially when year and year out claiming the North is always "dominate." Too much kool aid drinking going on.
Williams plays Union, RPI, CNU, Babson, MIT. Not sure if your blanket statement of "no North teams outside of Tufts and RIT play a tough OOC schedule" is valid.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:32 am As a Stevens alum you have to realize you've got a geographical blessing in terms of how many opponents are a 3-5 hour bus ride away. Between the large number of league games, the late start date (Salisbury plays games before the NESCAC starts practicing), half the schools being in the boonies, and the administrations really not liking class time being missed for athletics, the opportunities to go out of region for out of conference games is tough. It's more logistics more than anything else.
It seems more teams would be interested in going to Hoboken. Great setting!
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
ah23

Post by ah23 »

StevieUAlum wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:14 am Just stating a simple fact that no North teams outside of Tufts and RIT play a tough OOC schedule. Again, if you want to be the best, beat the best.
That is objectively untrue, which is why I said this is/has been about feelings and not facts.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”