NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
BallHunt

Re: NESCAC

Post by BallHunt »

smoova wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 pm
NNELax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 pm
smoova wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:26 am
NNELax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am I would venture to guess some of those LL kids were strung along in the recruiting process at some of the NESCAC schools they are now beating...karma
IME, your guess is not correct. I know a bunch of kids playing in/committed to programs in both leagues and AFAIK this did not happen to any of them. Rather, NESCAC coaches were brutally transparent about where kids stood, particularly with respect to admissibility, in order to ensure that no one passed on interest from LL (or any other) schools while they waited for July 1/August 1 to roll around. Perfect example of this is SLU's top recruit in the most-recent class.
False...watched it happen to more than a few kids during my time coaching HS lacrosse....You can say it doesn't happen....but I know it does....
Interesting - didn't happen to any of the kids I know who were talking to NESCAC coaches and are currently playing or committed to play at LL schools. Maybe they were lucky ... stringing kids along certainly occurs in every level of lacrosse recruiting.
Unfortunately this happened to my player. Communication all the way to 7/1, then crickets - Thompson, Campbell. Danalfo, to his credit, admitted they began looking at my guy very late, and likely would not make an offer.

I imagine Amherst has changed their ways, but their methods not only came across as disingenuous, but also as actively preventing kids from taking offers at other schools, trying to keep the clock ticking so coaches would move through their lists thus boxing kids out. Just shameful to mess with kids, families, and futures this way.

Thankfully my player's situation worked out well. Families need to do a lot of homework and contact current players on the teams to understand their experiences.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Unknown Participant wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 pm
NNELax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am I would venture to guess some of those LL kids were strung along in the recruiting process at some of the NESCAC schools they are now beating...karma
IME, your guess is not correct. I know a bunch of kids playing in/committed to programs in both leagues and AFAIK this did not happen to any of them. Rather, NESCAC coaches were brutally transparent about where kids stood, particularly with respect to admissibility, in order to ensure that no one passed on interest from LL (or any other) schools while they waited for July 1/August 1 to roll around. Perfect example of this is SLU's top recruit in the most-recent class.
False...watched it happen to more than a few kids during my time coaching HS lacrosse....You can say it doesn't happen....but I know it does....
Probably Trinity. Thanks for coming on here to bash Nescac coaches with questionable anecdotal evidence.
You do realize you are bashing Trinity coaches while criticizing someone for bashing NESCAC coaches, right?
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

So who is going to have a good game today? What team other than tufts will step up?

Wish all you argumentative people would pick a place to meet and just fight it out like men till one says enough and you shake hands and move on so we don’t have to read your keyboard jockey squabbles.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

SKUD wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:22 am So who is going to have a good game today? What team other than tufts will step up?

Wish all you argumentative people would pick a place to meet and just fight it out like men till one says enough and you shake hands and move on so we don’t have to read your keyboard jockey squabbles.
Hamilton
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

callaxdad wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:55 am
justanotherperson wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:37 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

they say you have lost a debate when you resort to name calling. if this bothers you so much that you need personal attacks, i will bow out of this conversation.
Hear! Hear!
WoodStick wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pmIf you do not enjoy reading my posts I suggest you skip them as I believe this forum is all about sharing thoughts and ideas.
Amen!
Say it louder for the people in the back.

NESCAC lacrosse takes that you disagree with are open for you to argue. BUT so are the positions that you take! This idea that ANYONE who doesn’t yield to you is; a troll, a clown, a d**k, or has some dreamt up personal vendetta is sad.
Strap on a helmet, because life’s tough.
From a non-NESCAC, non-CLC, non-Liberty League Dad:

In reality there can be 2 truths: there can be some NESCAC over-sensitive defense of the league and there also can be an overzealous anti-NESCAC biased stance that is sometimes clearly trolling mixed in with some truths which has hilariously made its way to the liberty league forum. I, for one, find it fascinating to read because I can understand the former but I am curious as the pathogenesis of the latter. But please dont stop with the sometimes-good insight intermixed with the biased trolling. However, there is no need for anyone to strap on a helmet because this is just an online forum - this is not tough and has no parallels to real life; its purely entertainment

Back to the topic on hand, I agree with almost all the predictions except I think Trinity over Bates and the MIddlebury-Wesleyan score may be higher but MIddlebury still on top.

The Trinity dynamic is interesting because last year it was stated, that it was addition by subtraction when the seniors left and they had a pretty decent year but they seemed to not have built on that this year. It is my neck of the woods but I dont have insight from insiders. But whatever it is, does CC suffer from the same issues?

As far as Tufts goes, I have always said they are the team to beat in the NESCAC until proven otherwise but I will now add-in, my confidence meter is low on them winning D3 overall, until proven otherwise.

LL > NESCAC this year; it may be 2 bid league for the NESCAC.

Good luck this weekend to those with kids playing
Pathogenesis?!!! Wow jap, methinks you are waaaaay too smart and well educated to be on this thread!! Cease and desist immediately!! :lol: :lol: Kidding, obviously.

I like your statement, back to the topic on hand....I think your comments re Tufts are fair. They certainly beat up on teams but, IMHO, they need to win a ship to prove the haters wrong. I would also agree, at this point anywho, the LL looks > than the CAC. I'm gonna predict 3 bids for the NESCAC but time will tell. Good luck to all and Go Bos!
Smart and educated? Hardly!! Just trying to bring a measured response to the addiction that Laxxal is not entirely wrong about sometimes on these forums of which I am guilty of as well at times. Would like to see 3 bids as well but beyond Tufts, who that will be, remains to be seen.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Pegasus6 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am I have never understood the fascination with "going D-1". I have met many a family and usually it is the dad who boasts about their kid "going D1" Typically in the context of an extra loud conversation on the side lines or the bleachers during a high school game I even have known a few who felt that D2 is almost D-1 so hey it must be better than D3. And then you see these kids going to bottom tier D1 programs, schools of questionable academic quality and they ride the bench for four years but hey they got a $2,500 athletic scholarship even though they still end up graduating with student loans. It is all the result of the for profit recruiting and club circuit. If you are a legit D1 recruit but not a Legit D1 starter, your experience, both academically and athletically at top a DIII school in a league like the LL or the NESCAC is going to be far better than riding the pine at a bottom tier D1 school. But like moths to a flame, off they go year after year.
I think the parent dynamic is real and pervasive I wonder if you removed the parent dynamic, where would kids actually commit. But in this day and age of instaface and NIL (there is no real NIL deals in lax for 99% of kids), there is also the desire for kids to keep up with the Joneses as well which plays a factor in going D1.

There are clearly many non D1 teams that are better than the bottom 10 d1 teams but yes the siren call of D1 remains. But i am genuinely curious about peoples preceptions about the strength of colleges if you were to put them 1v1 in the ThunderDome, where would all college teams shake out? Just typing this off the top of my head, would it be something like this (ill even throw high school teams in the mix):

D1: 1-30
D3: 1-3
D1: 31-50
D2: 1-5
D3: 4-20
D1: 51-76
D2: 6-20
D3: 21-75
High School: 1-10
MCLA: 1-10
D2: 21-76 / D3 76-245

Not meant to be a troll post, just a thought exercise and curious to everyones thoughts as I have no empirical evidence to back this up. All I have is anecdotal evidence of kids who chose education above lacrosse which is how they end up at schools like the NESCAC, LL, Swat, W&L and the MCLA schools
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Middlebury over Wesleyan.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

BallHunt wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:56 am
Interesting - didn't happen to any of the kids I know who were talking to NESCAC coaches and are currently playing or committed to play at LL schools. Maybe they were lucky ... stringing kids along certainly occurs in every level of lacrosse recruiting.
Unfortunately this happened to my player. Communication all the way to 7/1, then crickets - Thompson, Campbell. Danalfo, to his credit, admitted they began looking at my guy very late, and likely would not make an offer.

I imagine Amherst has changed their ways, but their methods not only came across as disingenuous, but also as actively preventing kids from taking offers at other schools, trying to keep the clock ticking so coaches would move through their lists thus boxing kids out. Just shameful to mess with kids, families, and futures this way.

Thankfully my player's situation worked out well. Families need to do a lot of homework and contact current players on the teams to understand their experiences.
+1
Attachments
sddefault.jpg
sddefault.jpg (32.65 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
ah23

Post by ah23 »

SKUD wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:22 am So who is going to have a good game today? What team other than tufts will step up?
Apparently Colby! My fake line for the game would have been Tufts -12.5 and I would have taken the Jumbos, but that looks way, way off right now (tied at 7-7 in the second).
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Apparently the humps have completely fallen off in New London.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Also taking Amherst over Lynchburg...by 4.
Laxdad457

Post by Laxdad457 »

ah23 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:45 pm
Apparently Colby! My fake line for the game would have been Tufts -12.5 and I would have taken the Jumbos, but that looks way, way off right now (tied at 7-7 in the second).
Colby gave the jumbos a scare. Very competitive game. Tufts outshot them 70-35. I am impressed with the progress the mules have shown this year. I could see them stealing a game in the nescac tournament if they get in.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laxdad457 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:29 pm
Colby gave the jumbos a scare. Very competitive game. Tufts outshot them 70-35. I am impressed with the progress the mules have shown this year. I could see them stealing a game in the nescac tournament if they get in.
Spot on Ld457. Colby is really improved and I think you have to attribute that to coaching, Coach Bernhardt had his team prepared and they played a solid, mostly mistake free game. Their goalie had an impressive game as well. If you look at their NESCAC losses, they’ve only lost by three to five goals… Very marked improvement over the last year. That program is definitely going in the right direction!!!
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

You speak the truth ah23, the Mules came to play!! They were very well prepared, a reflection of their coaching IMO. Well done Coach Bernhardt!!
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

justanotherperson wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:29 am
Pegasus6 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am I have never understood the fascination with "going D-1". I have met many a family and usually it is the dad who boasts about their kid "going D1" Typically in the context of an extra loud conversation on the side lines or the bleachers during a high school game I even have known a few who felt that D2 is almost D-1 so hey it must be better than D3. And then you see these kids going to bottom tier D1 programs, schools of questionable academic quality and they ride the bench for four years but hey they got a $2,500 athletic scholarship even though they still end up graduating with student loans. It is all the result of the for profit recruiting and club circuit. If you are a legit D1 recruit but not a Legit D1 starter, your experience, both academically and athletically at top a DIII school in a league like the LL or the NESCAC is going to be far better than riding the pine at a bottom tier D1 school. But like moths to a flame, off they go year after year.
I think the parent dynamic is real and pervasive I wonder if you removed the parent dynamic, where would kids actually commit. But in this day and age of instaface and NIL (there is no real NIL deals in lax for 99% of kids), there is also the desire for kids to keep up with the Joneses as well which plays a factor in going D1.

There are clearly many non D1 teams that are better than the bottom 10 d1 teams but yes the siren call of D1 remains. But i am genuinely curious about peoples preceptions about the strength of colleges if you were to put them 1v1 in the ThunderDome, where would all college teams shake out? Just typing this off the top of my head, would it be something like this (ill even throw high school teams in the mix):

Not meant to be a troll post, just a thought exercise and curious to everyones thoughts as I have no empirical evidence to back this up. All I have is anecdotal evidence of kids who chose education above lacrosse which is how they end up at schools like the NESCAC, LL, Swat, W&L and the MCLA schools
jap, this is definitely not a troll post but rather a fun discussion!! Such as, where would team A in D3 be ranked/competitive in D1…. there’s no right or wrong answer, just a fun discussion!! For lax junkies it’s a fun topic!
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

SKID, gimme the time and place!!! Hahahaha, kidding!!!

Really impressive performance by Colby today, they are much improved, Bernhardt is doing some good stuff up North.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

callaxdad wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:05 pm

jap, this is definitely not a troll post but rather a fun discussion!! Such as, where would team A in D3 be ranked/competitive in D1…. there’s no right or wrong answer, just a fun discussion!! For lax junkies it’s a fun topic!
This was not a fun topic back in Dec-Feb when one poster on a "me vs. the world" mission to tell us all how dumb we are. :lol:
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

NNELax wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:01 am
BallHunt wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:56 am

+1
Like them apples...
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:21 pm
callaxdad wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:05 pm

This was not a fun topic back in Dec-Feb when one poster on a "me vs. the world" mission to tell us all how dumb we are. :lol:
Yeah jap, this should be a fun collegial conversation about lax by lax fans… Sometimes things get a little derailed… And I am not inculpable by any stretch! We can all do a little better, that’s my goal.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

this is a really good list. i would suggest there are a few randoms that you could throw in. top 1-3 HS and top 1-3 MCLA can compete with D1 65-76 , D2 10-15, and D3 25-35

D1 65-76 are not D1 caliber teams.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”