Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BigTurn

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by BigTurn »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:25 pm Only one Gait wore the number 22 and there was no legend that came with the number.
Cody Jamieson earn the number? The expectations that come with the number is ripe for the
pickings of the critics. Sweaty typists at their keyboards. You don't think he's good enough to even
crack other team's lineups...accolades are laughable.
Okay.
Find me another respected 22 that completely disappears against top opponents. Also point me to the ACC line up outside of UNC he’s cracking. I’d love to hear this.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Another lost love. You're anticipating a response?
Won't play your game of nit-pickery and fault finding.
Welcome aboard, looking forward to more expert critique.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:31 pm Spallina has 63 points. 50 are against teams outside the Top 20. He has 4 goals and 9 assists for 13 points against teams in the Top 20. Would’ve been double bagels against ND if not for a one on none layup in transition. He had 4 turnovers.

The only other team in the ACC this kid would crack the starting line up on is UNC, and Duffy would still be #1 in that scenario. It’s absolutely laughable to put him above the likes of Kavanagh on AA lists.

Syracuse brings this on by using #22 as a recruiting tool, and then the lacrosse media drawing wood when he throws a btb in a blowout loss. The day they make a junior/senior earn #22 is the day all this (deserved) ridicule ends.
I like how Maryland designates the #1. It’s a good tradition.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:28 pm
BigTurn wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:31 pm Spallina has 63 points. 50 are against teams outside the Top 20. He has 4 goals and 9 assists for 13 points against teams in the Top 20. Would’ve been double bagels against ND if not for a one on none layup in transition. He had 4 turnovers.

The only other team in the ACC this kid would crack the starting line up on is UNC, and Duffy would still be #1 in that scenario. It’s absolutely laughable to put him above the likes of Kavanagh on AA lists.

Syracuse brings this on by using #22 as a recruiting tool, and then the lacrosse media drawing wood when he throws a btb in a blowout loss. The day they make a junior/senior earn #22 is the day all this (deserved) ridicule ends.
I like how Maryland designates the #1. It’s a good tradition.
Agree. The way it should be done.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

I'm still frustrated about the no call on the man down clear in the game yesterday. It wasn't an egregious penalty, but it still needed to be a tripping call. Totally changed the momentum of the game. How can you expect a player to proceed when the opposing team's player dives on their legs? At least call a loose ball push if you don't want to throw the flag. Liked how Syracuse battled back yesterday and stayed in the game. Thought the above along with the crazy Entenmann save kept Syracuse from overtaking ND and winning that game. Going to be a fun April and May.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:33 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:24 pm What is the worst I read about him?
He is more Stanwick, than Shellenberger.
If another Stanwick were available, I would hope the Jays go all-in.
So I get the slow afoot/top poles can handle him thing, but as of now he's 2nd team all-american which is about as good as it gets for a sophomore. He does have great stats. Curious if others think that all-american status is too high, or is he wrongfully criticized because of his number? I personally think it's too high but it's not meant as a criticism of him (he didn't name himself 2nd team aa).
Maybe I was being unclear. I think being another Stanwick is pretty good.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
lorin

Post by lorin »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:12 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:49 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:07 am
Wheels wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:52 am
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:27 pm
Bananas4Laxx wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:52 pm Spallina is wildly overhyped. He is a great transition and unsettled player. You get him on the 6 on 6 and he is very ineffective when covered by another teams #1 pole. In todays a case a freshmen pole as well.

Syracuse pick play on both sides of the ball wasn’t great and as a result ND was able to exploit some short stick matchups.
Spallina is not,

just some people have a bug up their arse about that guy.
It's perfectly fair to comment on a player who was given #22 as a freshman and who is the center of attention for every broadcast Syracuse game. He was on the cover of IL's preseason magazine this year. I'm sure if previous #22s put up those types of splits, there'd be a lot of conversation about it.
Yep. Syracuse invited the scrutiny by giving him a special jersey (along with all the associated fanfare) before he even stepped foot on campus. I don't blame the kid at all. But I'm not sure what anyone was expecting to happen? They put a target on his back.

A shorter Shack Stanwick isn't a bad comparison. To my eye he has not developed a whole lot since his freshman year. His raw point totals are up, but his shooting percentage is down and his turnovers have increased. I feel like this is just who he is. A very good lacrosse player, high-end IQ and passing ability, but with some athletic/speed limitations that put a ceiling on his overall impact.

What are you guys on??!

Spallina, a SOPHOMORE, averages 5.64 points per game, while having the #1 pole draped all over him.

Do you know how many Division 1 lacrosse players average MORE points per game than Spallina? 3. Three players top him in points per game. (As of March 27).

Let’s see their age:

TJ Malone (Grad Student)
Sam King (Junior)
Matt Brandau (Senior)

C’mon folks. Be real. Any realistic assessment of Spallina says he more than checks out. And you’d love to have him on your teams.
Unbelievable but ever so typical.
Spallina is a big Orange fan as a kid, wants to play for them when he grows up, gets himself good enough to be considered, gets himself good enough to start for them on opening day as a freshman. Has been a real asset, has proven to be a top contributor, draws the best long pole in every game, but he aint good enough cuz he wears #22.
Spallina is a good player but slow feet. You know the drill, big & strong or small &quick. etc. He is smaller and not alot of burst. I hope he finds his grove. I agree move someone down to attack.
Finds his groove? See numbers above.
When your the number one you have to put up numbers in the big games, please stop with the overall stats we are lacrosse guys on this site his stats against teams with winning records not good. 4 goals in last 5 games we see the numbers
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

lorin wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:14 pm
Bananas4Laxx wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:52 pm Spallina is wildly overhyped. He is a great transition and unsettled player. You get him on the 6 on 6 and he is very ineffective when covered by another teams #1 pole. In todays a case a freshmen pole as well.

Syracuse pick play on both sides of the ball wasn’t great and as a result ND was able to exploit some short stick matchups.
Spallina is not,

It's perfectly fair to comment on a player who was given #22 as a freshman and who is the center of attention for every broadcast Syracuse game. He was on the cover of IL's preseason magazine this year. I'm sure if previous #22s put up those types of splits, there'd be a lot of conversation about it.
Yep. Syracuse invited the scrutiny by giving him a special jersey (along with all the associated fanfare) before he even stepped foot on campus. I don't blame the kid at all. But I'm not sure what anyone was expecting to happen? They put a target on his back.

A shorter Shack Stanwick isn't a bad comparison. To my eye he has not developed a whole lot since his freshman year. His raw point totals are up, but his shooting percentage is down and his turnovers have increased. I feel like this is just who he is. A very good lacrosse player, high-end IQ and passing ability, but with some athletic/speed limitations that put a ceiling on his overall impact.

What are you guys on??!

Spallina, a SOPHOMORE, averages 5.64 points per game, while having the #1 pole draped all over him.

Do you know how many Division 1 lacrosse players average MORE points per game than Spallina? 3. Three players top him in points per game. (As of March 27).

Let’s see their age:

TJ Malone (Grad Student)
Sam King (Junior)
Matt Brandau (Senior)

C’mon folks. Be real. Any realistic assessment of Spallina says he more than checks out. And you’d love to have him on your teams.
Spallina is a big Orange fan as a kid, wants to play for them when he grows up, gets himself good enough to be considered, gets himself good enough to start for them on opening day as a freshman. Has been a real asset, has proven to be a top contributor, draws the best long pole in every game, but he aint good enough cuz he wears #22.
Spallina is a good player but slow feet. You know the drill, big & strong or small &quick. etc. He is smaller and not alot of burst. I hope he finds his grove. I agree move someone down to attack.
When your the number one you have to put up numbers in the big games, please stop with the overall stats we are lacrosse guys on this site his stats against teams with winning records not good. 4 goals in last 5 games we see the numbers
+1
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:22 pm

Spallina is not,

What are you guys on??!

Let’s see their age:

TJ Malone (Grad Student)
Sam King (Junior)
Matt Brandau (Senior)

+1
+2. No one who knows the game is impressed by a guy who lights it up against the deaf and blind and has incredibly pedestrian numbers against top 20 opponents.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:24 pm

Spallina is not,

What are you guys on??!

Let’s see their age:

TJ Malone (Grad Student)
Sam King (Junior)
Matt Brandau (Senior)

+1
+2. No one who knows the game is impressed by a guy who lights it up against the deaf and blind and has incredibly pedestrian numbers against top 20 opponents.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:28 pm
BigTurn wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:24 pm

Spallina is not,

What are you guys on??!

Let’s see their age:

TJ Malone (Grad Student)
Sam King (Junior)
Matt Brandau (Senior)

+1
That must be his goals - turnovers differential
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Joey's going to be fine. He's a sophomore, he's hardworking, he's got loads of talent, and his understanding of the game is top notch.

As long as he keeps an even mindset, keeps learning, and puts in the work, he'll reach his potential.

Certain commentators of course have a tendency to make bombastic and superlative claims, but I think we can use a little bit of critical thought to recognize that they're paid to and interested in drawing these larger narratives to make the sport more accessible and intriguing to casual fans.

We're still in the waning years of COVID eligibility. Freshmen and sophomores are playing against grown men. Joey's grabbing teams' #1 pole in every game. Are there other class of 22's that are contributing to their teams? Sure. But you really cannot argue that anyone from that class on the offensive end is contributing remotely in the same neighborhood and at the same level of competition.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Spallina is not,

What are you guys on??!

Let’s see their age:

TJ Malone (Grad Student)
Sam King (Junior)
Matt Brandau (Senior)

I don’t get it. And mea culpa: there’s no doubt I had some reservations about giving him #22 before playing a game, but facts on the table, I was still thinking too much about the Scanlan fiasco. Overthinking it if I’m being honest. Gary made the right call here.

Joey has proven himself on and off the field. He's a sophomore. In the entire lacrosse universe, only 3 players beat him in PPG. Anyone questioning the kid at this stage is just acting out other issues.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Lax Mouse wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:18 am Joey's going to be fine. He's a sophomore, he's hardworking, he's got loads of talent, and his understanding of the game is top notch.

As long as he keeps an even mindset, keeps learning, and puts in the work, he'll reach his potential.

Certain commentators of course have a tendency to make bombastic and superlative claims, but I think we can use a little bit of critical thought to recognize that they're paid to and interested in drawing these larger narratives to make the sport more accessible and intriguing to casual fans.

We're still in the waning years of COVID eligibility. Freshmen and sophomores are playing against grown men. Joey's grabbing teams' #1 pole in every game. Are there other class of 22's that are contributing to their teams? Sure. But you really cannot argue that anyone from that class on the offensive end is contributing remotely in the same neighborhood and at the same level of competition.

Agreed.
Finster

Post by Finster »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:28 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:25 pm Only one Gait wore the number 22 and there was no legend that came with the number.
Cody Jamieson earn the number? The expectations that come with the number is ripe for the
pickings of the critics. Sweaty typists at their keyboards. You don't think he's good enough to even
crack other team's lineups...accolades are laughable.
Okay.
Find me another respected 22 that completely disappears against top opponents. Also point me to the ACC line up outside of UNC he’s cracking. I’d love to hear this.

Why don’t YOU point us to any ACC coach that wouldn’t take Spallina today and find a role for him. I’m willing to bet you that Breschi would give up his salary if Joey would come over.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Finster wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:04 am

Spallina is not,

What are you guys on??!

Let’s see their age:

TJ Malone (Grad Student)
Sam King (Junior)
Matt Brandau (Senior)

I don’t get it. And mea culpa: there’s no doubt I had some reservations about giving him #22 before playing a game, but facts on the table, I was still thinking too much about the Scanlan fiasco. Overthinking it if I’m being honest. Gary made the right call here.

Joey has proven himself on and off the field. He's a sophomore. In the entire lacrosse universe, only 3 players beat him in PPG. Anyone questioning the kid at this stage is just acting out other issues.
You need to stop with the Sophomore stuff, yes great lax IQ, yes great stick skills, yes he works hard we all see that. the fact is he is not a great athlete and that's what you need to run by the number one pole. And I just think after 27 games you are who you are. Also there are so many great young players that should get more attention to grow the game.
Duffy, Kabiri, Firth, Johnson, Weisshaar. I understand only Duffy is getting the number one pole. Again if I have a choice between Spallini and Duffy its Duffy all day long the kid will be a Tewaaraton winner. and on the D side ND pole is great and I love the Ohio state goalie also Duke goalie etc:
Finster

Post by Finster »

lorin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:30 am
Finster wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:04 am

Spallina is not,

What are you guys on??!

Let’s see their age:

TJ Malone (Grad Student)
Sam King (Junior)
Matt Brandau (Senior)

You need to stop with the Sophomore stuff, yes great lax IQ, yes great stick skills, yes he works hard we all see that. the fact is he is not a great athlete and that's what you need to run by the number one pole. And I just think after 27 games you are who you are. Also there are so many great young players that should get more attention to grow the game.
Duffy, Kabiri, Firth, Johnson, Weisshaar. I understand only Duffy is getting the number one pole. Again if I have a choice between Spallini and Duffy its Duffy all day long the kid will be a Tewaaraton winner. and on the D side ND pole is great and I love the Ohio state goalie also Duke goalie etc:

Ok. As a Freshman, Spallina’s PPG were the same as Duffy this year. So we have some apple to apple comp. So neither is winning the Tewey this year, yet it’s Duffy who will win the Tewey one day not Spallina? C’mon man.

I’m a huge Owen Duffy fan. But Carolina is staring down the barrel of a 6-8 season. Let’s not get carried away.

Both are great players. Both are their teams’ functional leaders. Both have had great games against lesser teams, and both have put up goose eggs against better ones. No one can say with certainty where the story ends with either kid. Hard work, showing up every day, a little luck, and great coaching will tell. I hope both win a Natty and a Tewey.

And btw, those other players you mentioned are great. The reason we discuss Spallina here is because this is the ‘Syracuse’ thread. 😉
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:39 am
Laxitup21 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:09 am Powell fan,

1. These “kids” get paid to play now. What year are you living in?
2. My points are more so to make a point to the fan base who are the delusional ones, not the kid.

He’s a good kid I’m sure and good for the sport. Just don’t think he’s what people make him out to be (just yet). Moving on..
Nice job of backpedaling.
Same old story from his critics, if he doesn't beat his man on every possession, score ten goals, including the game winner, throw nine assists, and come up with eight GBs, he's not living up to the hype.

"After watching Syracuse, I can’t believe all the hype around Spallina."
Is this the first time you've seen him play? Sure sounds like it.

Have you figured out yet why it took so long for the coaching staff to recognize how
good Kohn is? Hint...it took 'em as long to figure out how good he as it took 'em to
figure out how good the freshman Mullen is.

Yes, please do move on. Maybe come back when you know w*t*f you're talking about.
Bump!
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Fun idea: look at the stats of the teams these guys are a fan of and see how they did against ND last time they played. How did the MD attack do this season? How about the Hop attack in the tourney last year? How many goals did their offenses put up? And those were all with much better performances at the faceoff X than cuse had on Saturday. Spallina is a piece. That is all we need him to be. It's not like our offense's only move is ramming Spallina into whoever is guarding him and hoping for the best. He only took 4 shots. We dice up defenses about as good as any team in the country with the offensive unit as a whole. Toughest defense on the road with a horrible day at the X and this is the game that brings out the Spallina trolls again? Just weak sauce. Coming from fans of teams who played much easier opponents this weekend.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bummed about the weather in Ithaca tomorrow for all four teams and fans.
Rain, rain, rain, and more rain starting early and ending late. Temps in the
mid 40s for the girls, dropping to the low 40s for the guys. April showers bring
May flowers...well I've got some news for ya, Mother Nature, aint no flowers
gonna be growing on that field at the Kopf. Give it a rest would ya, fer chrissakes.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”