Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Madlax59

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by Madlax59 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:25 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:10 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:57 pm I certainly didn’t expect to win today, but I think this loss showed bigtime character from The Orange.

Down 12-7 and really winning very few faceoffs, it looked like this game could spiral really out of control.

Instead, Syracuse ground out some possessions and goals. From a character standpoint, you can count this game as a win. I don’t think Syracuse will win the NCAA championship this year, but they will solidly contend next two years. The vast majority of the team is sophomore, with really only the goalie spot questionable for next year (I think Mullen will ease the loss of Kohn at FO).
Can you explain to me the Spallina hype? I never see the guy do much against tough teams. Against crappy teams he lights it up. But when they need him to be the super star he is touted to be....he does very little and has a ton of turnovers..... typically turnover -> change of possession -> goal or shot from other team. I genuinely want to know why all the hype?
Why do you care?

Hype is just that, nothing really.
I guess when I hear his name in the Tewaarton convo I just dont get it. And Paul Carc sings his praises ad infinitum...
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Madlax59 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:43 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:25 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:10 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:57 pm I certainly didn’t expect to win today, but I think this loss showed bigtime character from The Orange.

Down 12-7 and really winning very few faceoffs, it looked like this game could spiral really out of control.

Instead, Syracuse ground out some possessions and goals. From a character standpoint, you can count this game as a win. I don’t think Syracuse will win the NCAA championship this year, but they will solidly contend next two years. The vast majority of the team is sophomore, with really only the goalie spot questionable for next year (I think Mullen will ease the loss of Kohn at FO).
Can you explain to me the Spallina hype? I never see the guy do much against tough teams. Against crappy teams he lights it up. But when they need him to be the super star he is touted to be....he does very little and has a ton of turnovers..... typically turnover -> change of possession -> goal or shot from other team. I genuinely want to know why all the hype?
Why do you care?

Hype is just that, nothing really.
I guess when I hear his name in the Tewaarton convo I just dont get it. And Paul Carc sings his praises ad infinitum...
Syracuse needs another dodger with Spallina. When Syracuse plays Top 10 teams, Spallina is going to draw the top close defender. In the 5 games against highly-ranked opponents, Spallina has 4 goals and 9 assists (2.6 points per game). Against everyone else he has 21 goals and 29 assists (7.1 points per game). Those are pretty stark splits.

I'd think about putting Leo down at attack to see if he can draw more attention from dodging, and that might help get Spallina get some different match-ups that he can do better against.

And yes...the hype is pretty high, and I get that ESPN has a vested interest in hyping him up (RATINGS!!!), but against good teams, he's a good not great player. On the plus side, at least teams sending their best pole to him frees up other players on the field.
Bananas4Laxx

Post by Bananas4Laxx »

Spallina is wildly overhyped. He is a great transition and unsettled player. You get him on the 6 on 6 and he is very ineffective when covered by another teams #1 pole. In todays a case a freshmen pole as well.

Syracuse pick play on both sides of the ball wasn’t great and as a result ND was able to exploit some short stick matchups.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Bananas4Laxx wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:52 pm Spallina is wildly overhyped. He is a great transition and unsettled player. You get him on the 6 on 6 and he is very ineffective when covered by another teams #1 pole. In todays a case a freshmen pole as well.

Syracuse pick play on both sides of the ball wasn’t great and as a result ND was able to exploit some short stick matchups.
Spallina is not,

just some people have a bug up their arse about that guy.
lorin

Post by lorin »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:27 pm
Bananas4Laxx wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:52 pm Spallina is wildly overhyped. He is a great transition and unsettled player. You get him on the 6 on 6 and he is very ineffective when covered by another teams #1 pole. In todays a case a freshmen pole as well.

Spallina is not,

10 Stone Who would you take Spallina or Duffy?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Spallina is not,

It's perfectly fair to comment on a player who was given #22 as a freshman and who is the center of attention for every broadcast Syracuse game. He was on the cover of IL's preseason magazine this year. I'm sure if previous #22s put up those types of splits, there'd be a lot of conversation about it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:52 am

Spallina is not,

It's perfectly fair to comment on a player who was given #22 as a freshman and who is the center of attention for every broadcast Syracuse game. He was on the cover of IL's preseason magazine this year. I'm sure if previous #22s put up those types of splits, there'd be a lot of conversation about it.
Yep. Syracuse invited the scrutiny by giving him a special jersey (along with all the associated fanfare) before he even stepped foot on campus. I don't blame the kid at all. But I'm not sure what anyone was expecting to happen? They put a target on his back.

A shorter Shack Stanwick isn't a bad comparison. To my eye he has not developed a whole lot since his freshman year. His raw point totals are up, but his shooting percentage is down and his turnovers have increased. I feel like this is just who he is. A very good lacrosse player, high-end IQ and passing ability, but with some athletic/speed limitations that put a ceiling on his overall impact.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Joey's like a masturbatory exercise for some of you boys.
Feels like you get off on knocking him, getting a lot of
pleasure there. Enjoy yourselves sweating at your keyboards..
Finster

Post by Finster »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:07 am

Spallina is not,

Yep. Syracuse invited the scrutiny by giving him a special jersey (along with all the associated fanfare) before he even stepped foot on campus. I don't blame the kid at all. But I'm not sure what anyone was expecting to happen? They put a target on his back.

A shorter Shack Stanwick isn't a bad comparison. To my eye he has not developed a whole lot since his freshman year. His raw point totals are up, but his shooting percentage is down and his turnovers have increased. I feel like this is just who he is. A very good lacrosse player, high-end IQ and passing ability, but with some athletic/speed limitations that put a ceiling on his overall impact.

What are you guys on??!

Spallina, a SOPHOMORE, averages 5.64 points per game, while having the #1 pole draped all over him.

Do you know how many Division 1 lacrosse players average MORE points per game than Spallina? 3. Three players top him in points per game. (As of March 27).

Let’s see their age:

TJ Malone (Grad Student)
Sam King (Junior)
Matt Brandau (Senior)

C’mon folks. Be real. Any realistic assessment of Spallina says he more than checks out. And you’d love to have him on your teams.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:49 pm

What are you guys on??!

Spallina, a SOPHOMORE, averages 5.64 points per game, while having the #1 pole draped all over him.

Do you know how many Division 1 lacrosse players average MORE points per game than Spallina? 3. Three players top him in points per game. (As of March 27).

Let’s see their age:

TJ Malone (Grad Student)
Sam King (Junior)
Matt Brandau (Senior)

C’mon folks. Be real. Any realistic assessment of Spallina says he more than checks out. And you’d love to have him on your teams.
Wheels wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:48 pm
Syracuse needs another dodger with Spallina. When Syracuse plays Top 10 teams, Spallina is going to draw the top close defender. In the 5 games against highly-ranked opponents, Spallina has 4 goals and 9 assists (2.6 points per game). Against everyone else he has 21 goals and 29 assists (7.1 points per game). Those are pretty stark splits.

I'd think about putting Leo down at attack to see if he can draw more attention from dodging, and that might help get Spallina get some different match-ups that he can do better against.

And yes...the hype is pretty high, and I get that ESPN has a vested interest in hyping him up (RATINGS!!!), but against good teams, he's a good not great player. On the plus side, at least teams sending their best pole to him frees up other players on the field.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Spallina? We'll take him for Hobart anytime!
OldOrange

Post by OldOrange »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:19 pm Spallina? We'll take him for Hobart anytime!
Stay in your lane, FMUBart :D
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Spallina is a good player but slow feet. You know the drill, big & strong or small &quick. etc. He is smaller and not alot of burst. I hope he finds his grove. I agree move someone down to attack.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:49 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:07 am

Spallina is not,

What are you guys on??!

Let’s see their age:

TJ Malone (Grad Student)
Sam King (Junior)
Matt Brandau (Senior)

Unbelievable but ever so typical.
Spallina is a big Orange fan as a kid, wants to play for them when he grows up, gets himself good enough to be considered, gets himself good enough to start for them on opening day as a freshman. Has been a real asset, has proven to be a top contributor, draws the best long pole in every game, but he aint good enough cuz he wears #22.
Spallina is a good player but slow feet. You know the drill, big & strong or small &quick. etc. He is smaller and not alot of burst. I hope he finds his grove. I agree move someone down to attack.
Finds his groove? See numbers above.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

What is the worst I read about him?
He is more Stanwick, than Shellenberger.
If another Stanwick were available, I would hope the Jays go all-in.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Spallina has 63 points. 50 are against teams outside the Top 20. He has 4 goals and 9 assists for 13 points against teams in the Top 20. Would’ve been double bagels against ND if not for a one on none layup in transition. He had 4 turnovers.

The only other team in the ACC this kid would crack the starting line up on is UNC, and Duffy would still be #1 in that scenario. It’s absolutely laughable to put him above the likes of Kavanagh on AA lists.

Syracuse brings this on by using #22 as a recruiting tool, and then the lacrosse media drawing wood when he throws a btb in a blowout loss. The day they make a junior/senior earn #22 is the day all this (deserved) ridicule ends.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:24 pm What is the worst I read about him?
He is more Stanwick, than Shellenberger.
If another Stanwick were available, I would hope the Jays go all-in.
So I get the slow afoot/top poles can handle him thing, but as of now he's 2nd team all-american which is about as good as it gets for a sophomore. He does have great stats. Curious if others think that all-american status is too high, or is he wrongfully criticized because of his number? I personally think it's too high but it's not meant as a criticism of him (he didn't name himself 2nd team aa).
DMac

Post by DMac »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:31 pm The day they make a junior/senior earn #22 is the day all this (deserved) ridicule ends.
Oh, please. Like they did with Casey and Mikey and others?
You don't score the winning goal and bring the magic Gary Gait
did wearing #22 and the same people will be saying the same thing to the
junior and senior as they have been about the freshman and sophomore.
Hairy palmed keyboard critics get off on the criticism, satisfies them
somehow.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:57 pm
BigTurn wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:31 pm The day they make a junior/senior earn #22 is the day all this (deserved) ridicule ends.
Oh, please. Like they did with Casey and Mikey and others?
You don't score the winning goal and bring the magic Gary Gait
did wearing #22 and the same people will be saying the same thing to the
junior and senior as they have been about the freshman and sophomore.
Hairy palmed keyboard critics get off on the criticism, satisfies them
somehow.
Yea the difference is the Gaits and the Powells performed. A 22 hasn’t done that since Marasco…
DMac

Post by DMac »

Only one Gait wore the number 22 and there was no legend that came with the number.
Cody Jamieson earn the number? The expectations that come with the number is ripe for the
pickings of the critics. Sweaty typists at their keyboards. You don't think he's good enough to even
crack other team's lineups...accolades are laughable.
Okay.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”