Formerhound wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:12 pm
random observer wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:55 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:52 am
laxbro11 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:56 pm From Ty Xanders

Identify talent
Recruit talent
Develop talent
Scheme to maximize talent
Very few staffs do all of those things better than Joe Alberici and @ArmyWP_MLax. Special culture in
West Point.
It's never been as simple as just piling up 5-stars and Top 100 recruits.

This is what Loyola used to do
Which Loyola recruits are 5 stars?
Just Matt Minicus, who is off to a bit of a slow start after a terrific freshman season. The lack of development offensively is a warranted concern; how many of the starting six are significantly better than they were as freshmen?
Poitras (because he plays box) and James (because he never leaves the field). All of the rest have regressed.

Compare that to defense where Houlihan, Ramon, Bean, Callahan, Sullivan and others didn’t really see the field as freshmen but are contributing now. In addition Sherwood and Sally as well as McGilligudy have all gotten better under Coach Dwan.

What is the common denominator here?
You are lobbying for Marc Van Arsdales job?

This guy right? In multiple lacrosse hall of fames (at least Bart and UVA, think some others as well).

https://hwsathletics.com/honors/hall-of ... rsdale/107
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Formerhound

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by Formerhound »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:24 pm

Identify talent
Recruit talent
Develop talent
Very few staffs do all of those things better than Joe Alberici and @ArmyWP_MLax. Special culture in
West Point.

Just Matt Minicus, who is off to a bit of a slow start after a terrific freshman season. The lack of development offensively is a warranted concern; how many of the starting six are significantly better than they were as freshmen?
Poitras (because he plays box) and James (because he never leaves the field). All of the rest have regressed.

Compare that to defense where Houlihan, Ramon, Bean, Callahan, Sullivan and others didn’t really see the field as freshmen but are contributing now. In addition Sherwood and Sally as well as McGilligudy have all gotten better under Coach Dwan.

This guy right? In multiple lacrosse hall of fames (at least Bart and UVA, think some others as well).

Lots of coaches in lots of sports eventually lose their jobs when they are no longer effective in what they are doing. Sometimes what worked 10-20 years ago no longer works. The lack of development of his recruits (and yes, he is actively involved in recruiting, is a major concern. Lots of good young OCs and head coaches out there turning around programs. Sometimes changes need to be made.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Formerhound wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:06 pm

Identify talent
Recruit talent
Develop talent
West Point.

Lots of coaches in lots of sports eventually lose their jobs when they are no longer effective in what they are doing. Sometimes what worked 10-20 years ago no longer works. The lack of development of his recruits (and yes, he is actively involved in recruiting, is a major concern. Lots of good young OCs and head coaches out there turning around programs. Sometimes changes need to be made.
Sure. So then you are sure that Charlie is wrong (keeping him around) and MVA is anachronistic to the game today in your opinion. How much would you risk on that position?
Laxfam4life86

Post by Laxfam4life86 »

Utilizing some SAT words I see… yes, MVA’s time has passed.
Ignoring half of players and under developing the rest isn’t working. Making false promises to kids and telling them they will see play time if they do XY and Z and then failing to follow through isn’t cutting it. From what I’ve witnessed, atleast Toomey coaches up the kids during the course of the game and MVA rarely interacts with his players. I think MVA has lost quite a bit of respect from both parents and players over the last few years. He is the antithesis to both Dwan and Toomey.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Laxfam4life86 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:06 pm Utilizing some SAT words I see… yes, MVA’s time has passed.
Ignoring half of players and under developing the rest isn’t working. Making false promises to kids and telling them they will see play time if they do XY and Z and then failing to follow through isn’t cutting it. From what I’ve witnessed, atleast Toomey coaches up the kids during the course of the game and MVA rarely interacts with his players. I think MVA has lost quite a bit of respect from both parents and players over the last few years. He is the antithesis to both Dwan and Toomey.
You seem to know a lot more of what’s going on with the team than I do. Not saying Van’s time is done but clearly he’s having issues. He’s a HOF coach. Think he needs to reassess his style as it hasn’t been working the past three years. This offense has been terrible the past five games and that’s the issue. He needs to make changes in the lineup or in
The style they are playing or both.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Identify talent
Recruit talent
Develop talent
West Point.

MVA is a hall of fame coach, but are you telling me that he is coaching at a hall of fame level with the Loyola offense? They are not even average they are below average. A good coach changes things up when they are not working, doing the same thing over and over is insanity
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

A good coach tailors his team to the talent on hand giving it the best chance to win.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxfam4life86 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:06 pm Utilizing some SAT words I see… yes, MVA’s time has passed.
Ok…well some of the other loyola alums I know can handle big boy words and has passed kiddie math but I guess there’s always some that fall through the cracks. FYI there’s a Rutgers acolyte who makes things up and would love your style. Anything goes when a mind is made up setting aside derided facts or logic.

Why don’t you give very detailed and explicit examples in false promises and how MVA didn’t follow through? Obviously you’ve a personal position that bleeds through this above. Nobody’s going to change your mind that he’s the only problem I can see.

Funny how in reading here effectively “the offense doesn’t perform as well as it did when Spencer was here now that Pat Spencer is gone” and then coming up with the solution that it’s the experienced OC who the HC brought in and still supports that is the problem. Pretty brilliant stuff.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:03 am

Identify talent
Recruit talent
Develop talent
West Point.

MVA is a hall of fame coach, but are you telling me that he is coaching at a hall of fame level with the Loyola offense? They are not even average they are below average. A good coach changes things up when they are not working, doing the same thing over and over is insanity
I think it’s entirely possible he’s checked out or not working like he used to and that’s not accretive to the cause. But I’d have to both be there and be inside his head to say confidently.

Does a good coach act reactionary and change things quickly or stay the course? I think neither is true and a blend.

I think pointing the finger at MVA is lazy and lacking as to why you all are rolling your hair out these days. Dig deeper and get at it better. That’s all.

The only folks who should be saying things with absolute certainty and authority ought to have resumes that would at least not be embarrassed by Marc’s. Otherwise a little softer approach from some is far more logical. Who knows you could all be cradling his sack if they get hit back half of year and run the PL and then home these posts are long forgotten.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:21 am
Ok…well some of the other loyola alums I know can handle big boy words and has passed kiddie math but I guess there’s always some that fall through the cracks. FYI there’s a Rutgers acolyte who makes things up and would love your style. Anything goes when a mind is made up setting aside derided facts or logic.

Why don’t you give very detailed and explicit examples in false promises and how MVA didn’t follow through? Obviously you’ve a personal position that bleeds through this above. Nobody’s going to change your mind that he’s the only problem I can see.

Funny how in reading here effectively “the offense doesn’t perform as well as it did when Spencer was here now that Pat Spencer is gone” and then coming up with the solution that it’s the experienced OC who the HC brought in and still supports that is the problem. Pretty brilliant stuff.
Sorry but where did anyone in this thread use the “the offense doesn’t run as well as it did when Spencer was here” logic?
My prior posts set forth facts:
1. Almost every middie on offense has regressed statistically over the past three years. Higgins, Kamish and Heuston specifically.
2. Highly ranked recruits rarely play (Dixon, Cote, McGory, West, Murphy, Haberman and more)
3. This has happened previously when Van ran out Bateman, Seay and Wigley as a second line an entire year in spite of the fact that they scored FIVE goals the entire year while allowing guys like Binney and Heuston to wallow on the bench (and score when they eventually got the opportunity)
4. This year’s offense is stagnant. Midfielders don’t dodge. It’s the same every game since Georgetown. Maybe because our three starting attack (Minicus, Poitras and James) scored 13 goals v Georgetown, the subsequent opponents realized that our midfielders don’t produce offense. All of this teams production comes from four guys, all of whom are attack men. They ran Lindsey out of the box the first four games and he did nothing. Since moving him back to attack he has 10 points in his last two games.
5. Getting back to not using young guys, Henry Haberman is a perfect example. He had 12 goals as a freshman. This year he has three goals in six games in spite of sharing second line minutes with Murphy, Binney, Lindsey, Heuston. In his limited time he has produced much more than Kamish, Higgins or Heuston. Why doesn’t he play more? And what is the deal with Murphy who also continues to garner second line minutes? 1 assist in 6 games?
My point is that the offense has struggled all year. Highly recruited kids don’t play. Most of the offensive players have regressed over the past three or four years. Losing to Colgate???? Come on. Something needs to change and change fast.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Formerhound wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:03 am

Sorry but where did anyone in this thread use the “the offense doesn’t run as well as it did when Spencer was here” logic?
1. Almost every middie on offense has regressed statistically over the past three years. Higgins, Kamish and Heuston specifically.
2. Highly ranked recruits rarely play (Dixon, Cote, McGory, West, Murphy, Haberman and more)
3. This has happened previously when Van ran out Bateman, Seay and Wigley as a second line an entire year in spite of the fact that they scored FIVE goals the entire year while allowing guys like Binney and Heuston to wallow on the bench (and score when they eventually got the opportunity)
4. This year’s offense is stagnant. Midfielders don’t dodge. It’s the same every game since Georgetown. Maybe because our three starting attack (Minicus, Poitras and James) scored 13 goals v Georgetown, the subsequent opponents realized that our midfielders don’t produce offense. All of this teams production comes from four guys, all of whom are attack men. They ran Lindsey out of the box the first four games and he did nothing. Since moving him back to attack he has 10 points in his last two games.
5. Getting back to not using young guys, Henry Haberman is a perfect example. He had 12 goals as a freshman. This year he has three goals in six games in spite of sharing second line minutes with Murphy, Binney, Lindsey, Heuston. In his limited time he has produced much more than Kamish, Higgins or Heuston. Why doesn’t he play more? And what is the deal with Murphy who also continues to garner second line minutes? 1 assist in 6 games?
My point is that the offense has struggled all year. Highly recruited kids don’t play. Most of the offensive players have regressed over the past three or four years. Losing to Colgate???? Come on. Something needs to change and change fast.
1. It’s a suckers bet to be linear thinker. Also ignores everything outside of the control group and that impact. Don’t do that.
2. Don’t believe the hype. Can bang on recruiting but HS rankings are worthless to making a point about college performance. Bet Charlie understands that.
3. Your younger kid arguments is a mix
Of linear thinking and straight specious supposition.

MVA could be cooked. It happens to everyone. Or…it could be Charlie who’s long in the tooth for the gig. Can’t possibly be that though. So I’m sitting here unimpressed by your case. Might help if you add some lacrosse in there. The plays, substitutions, line mixes, offensive sets. That’s where one can make a real case. What I see above is linear thinking and a bunch of past Ex Post supporting arguments.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:14 am

1. It’s a suckers bet to be linear thinker. Also ignores everything outside of the control group and that impact. Don’t do that.
2. Don’t believe the hype. Can bang on recruiting but HS rankings are worthless to making a point about college performance. Bet Charlie understands that.

MVA could be cooked. It happens to everyone. Or…it could be Charlie who’s long in the tooth for the gig. Can’t possibly be that though. So I’m sitting here unimpressed by your case. Might help if you add some lacrosse in there. The plays, substitutions, line mixes, offensive sets. That’s where one can make a real case. What I see above is linear thinking and a bunch of past Ex Post supporting arguments.
“Linear thinking”??? How about the eye test: offense has been horrible since Georgetown. Statistics show regression of guys who were really good midfielders three years ago. Guys that Toomey and Van recruited on offense the past three years don’t play. That’s either bad recruiting or bad coaching. Nothing “linear” about those stats. Defensive recruiting has been, except for FOGO (we’ll see how Hall progresses) pretty good. Houlihan, Reynolds, Ramon, Bean, etc… have all developed into starters as juniors. Contrast that with the offense and but for Minicus (5star recruit) none of the junior recruits play. Of the sophomore recruits Minicus is the only one getting real playing time. Nothing “linear” about that either.
A poster who is clearly a parent of a kid on the team (laxfam4life86) clearly indicates that there are issues with Van in the room. True or not the offense looks brutal. Just look at the Colgate game for instance. Lindsey at X and hits a cutter for three tap in goals. Looks great correct? Except he tried that play nine times during the game leading to five turnovers and 2 saves.
Can you name a single time in the past five games where a midfielder dodged, beat his man, and scored (except for Binney in Rutgers game when he scored twice and has been invisible since)? Why? Why doesn’t Heuston, Higgins or Kamish do anything resembling an attempt to beat a defender one v one? Why does the offense always go to X? My God I’ve watched this team for the past four years since moving back to Bmore. I watched Higgins and Kamish as sophomores do 10x more offensively than they do today. Both dodged, beat defenders and scored when they were sophomores. Why can’t they do it today?

Look Farfromgeneva I don’t have the answers. As a former player for Charlie I do have serious questions. Those questions need to be addressed by Charlie as he’s the guy who hired Van and he’s the guy who’s given Van free rein to run this offense.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Loyola has an alum who is crushing it as the offensive coordinator at Army right now. Someone else is going to scoop him up first if the Hounds don't
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:30 pm Loyola has an alum who is crushing it as the offensive coordinator at Army right now. Someone else is going to scoop him up first if the Hounds don't
100%
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:30 pm Loyola has an alum who is crushing it as the offensive coordinator at Army right now. Someone else is going to scoop him up first if the Hounds don't
Another alum runs pretty good offense at Hobart too
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Formerhound wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:56 am

“Linear thinking”??? How about the eye test: offense has been horrible since Georgetown. Statistics show regression of guys who were really good midfielders three years ago. Guys that Toomey and Van recruited on offense the past three years don’t play. That’s either bad recruiting or bad coaching. Nothing “linear” about those stats. Defensive recruiting has been, except for FOGO (we’ll see how Hall progresses) pretty good. Houlihan, Reynolds, Ramon, Bean, etc… have all developed into starters as juniors. Contrast that with the offense and but for Minicus (5star recruit) none of the junior recruits play. Of the sophomore recruits Minicus is the only one getting real playing time. Nothing “linear” about that either.
A poster who is clearly a parent of a kid on the team (laxfam4life86) clearly indicates that there are issues with Van in the room. True or not the offense looks brutal. Just look at the Colgate game for instance. Lindsey at X and hits a cutter for three tap in goals. Looks great correct? Except he tried that play nine times during the game leading to five turnovers and 2 saves.
Can you name a single time in the past five games where a midfielder dodged, beat his man, and scored (except for Binney in Rutgers game when he scored twice and has been invisible since)? Why? Why doesn’t Heuston, Higgins or Kamish do anything resembling an attempt to beat a defender one v one? Why does the offense always go to X? My God I’ve watched this team for the past four years since moving back to Bmore. I watched Higgins and Kamish as sophomores do 10x more offensively than they do today. Both dodged, beat defenders and scored when they were sophomores. Why can’t they do it today?

Look Farfromgeneva I don’t have the answers. As a former player for Charlie I do have serious questions. Those questions need to be addressed by Charlie as he’s the guy who hired Van and he’s the guy who’s given Van free rein to run this offense.
So kids with good coaches never ever ever peak as FR? You’ve never seen that before and they always get better YoY right?

One of a tttttrillion (source: Keenan, Cornel West, Thompson) of regression from FR over time under good coaches:

https://fightingirish.com/roster/sergio-perkovic/

But that’s my point nobody knows if it’s Mark or something else and today to hold the alternate position is to directly say you don’t entice Charlie is running the program properly. That’s all. Look I know a ton of Hobart alums who would struggle to survive if they couldn’t make an income coaching or in lacrosse. Marc’s brother was not a good HC. Kerwick. BJ Ohara. So it’s possible but yet when Charlie Toomey and Dom Starsia are still ride or die, particularly Charlie where he in theory risks his job making a bad choice and this isn’t football where it’s easy to swing assistants around to save face. Hence I said how much are you willing to risk that Marc is definitely the problem. Because in theory Charlie is risking his paycheck on it.

My only skin here is I need Poitras to play at least a little
Middie so my son can use him in fantasy lacrosse at midfield this season and that is now the case so I’m good.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CnyLax wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:57 pm
Another alum runs pretty good offense at Hobart too
They’re gonna need him to replace Raymond soon…
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:23 pm

So kids with good coaches never ever ever peak as FR? You’ve never seen that before and they always get better YoY right?

One of a tttttrillion (source: Keenan, Cornel West, Thompson) of regression from FR over time under good coaches:

But that’s my point nobody knows if it’s Mark or something else and today to hold the alternate position is to directly say you don’t entice Charlie is running the program properly. That’s all. Look I know a ton of Hobart alums who would struggle to survive if they couldn’t make an income coaching or in lacrosse. Marc’s brother was not a good HC. Kerwick. BJ Ohara. So it’s possible but yet when Charlie Toomey and Dom Starsia are still ride or die, particularly Charlie where he in theory risks his job making a bad choice and this isn’t football where it’s easy to swing assistants around to save face. Hence I said how much are you willing to risk that Marc is definitely the problem. Because in theory Charlie is risking his paycheck on it.

Middie so my son can use him in fantasy lacrosse at midfield this season and that is now the case so I’m good.
Getting rid of a coach isn't always needed.
Two words: self scout.
Good coaches understand that they often don't have EVERY answer, or have become complacent, or are too close to a situation that your view is clouded.
I often find that a new set of eyes is very helpful. Things become stale. Ideas, lineups, drills, schemes, etc. We try to bring in another trusted coach every year or two to see if there 's anything we are missing in practice, games, or player development, that we can improve upon.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

You know I try to take you seriously but just can’t. Your misstatements of what other people claim as well as your pomposity relating to “linear” reasoning is just overwhelming. A perfect example of the absurdity of your argument comes in the form of “So kids with good coaches never peak as freshmen”. Many kids peak as freshmen. The problem at Loyola is that EVERY middie that plays at Loyola peaked as a freshman or a sophomore. If it was one or two then your argument bears considering. When you have Higgins, Kamish, Heuston, Bateman, Wigley, Seay, etc… all regress YET STILL START OR PLAY SIGNIFICANT MINUTES, there is a problem. If that’s thinking linear then I guess I’m a linear guy.
Oh, an by the way, if you’re watching Loyola the past two games maybe you’ve noticed that Poitras is playing middie ever time that Lindsey comes out to play attack. They’ve been basically trying to run an offense with four attack and sliding Poitras to mid. This results in four players (Heuston, Higgins, Binnney, Kamish) getting first or second line middie reps with Murphy/Haberman splitting the fifth spot. In doing this, Poitras has been the only middie who dodges and goes to the goal. This seems to limit Minicus’s influence on the offense dramatically.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:40 am

Getting rid of a coach isn't always needed.
Two words: self scout.
Good coaches understand that they often don't have EVERY answer, or have become complacent, or are too close to a situation that your view is clouded.
I often find that a new set of eyes is very helpful. Things become stale. Ideas, lineups, drills, schemes, etc. We try to bring in another trusted coach every year or two to see if there 's anything we are missing in practice, games, or player development, that we can improve upon.
I’m fine with all that but then is it MVAs eyes or Charlie’s? You think he can’t get stale like Desko, Urick, many FB and BB legends at the end? Scott Marr is at a state school so he’s good but at a private school w fans? Seth Tierney?

It these cats are talking about replacing one 3-7yr AC with another intermediate term one. Not what you’re suggesting which is more like Goldman and MA used to do by cutting the bottom quarter of producers every year programmatically and strategically. (GE too for a long time)

But I’m all in about adopting best practices from the street to inoculate yourself from too much inward thinking. That’s not what I was responding too here. It was the visceral “man we need to start a fire and burn someone for this s**t and MVA is the highest profile “LIFO” member of the crew we need to hold accountable.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”