kramerica.inc

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by kramerica.inc »

laxbro11 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:56 pm From Ty Xanders

Identify talent
Recruit talent
Develop talent
Scheme to maximize talent
Very few staffs do all of those things better than Joe Alberici and @ArmyWP_MLax. Special culture in
West Point.
It's never been as simple as just piling up 5-stars and Top 100 recruits.

This is what Loyola used to do
Which Loyola recruits are 5 stars?
random observer

Post by random observer »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:52 am

Identify talent
Recruit talent
Develop talent
Very few staffs do all of those things better than Joe Alberici and @ArmyWP_MLax. Special culture in
West Point.

Just Matt Minicus, who is off to a bit of a slow start after a terrific freshman season. The lack of development offensively is a warranted concern; how many of the starting six are significantly better than they were as freshmen?
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Identify talent
Recruit talent
Develop talent
West Point.

5 star is what you take from the post and you are a supposed coach Not the development and schemes to fit the players Once upon a time Loyola found the diamonds in the rough Van is not that type of offensives coach he comes off as more of an elitist
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Yes, I've been a "supposed" coach, for 20 years. At every level. And I do it 7 days a week.
We're talking lax and you're talking "elitist?"
What's that mean in a lacrosse context? Very odd. All my years, and I've never heard that one.

Please list which college teams you truly think would come out with more than 2 wins over this early season schedule:

#11 Gtown
#4 UMD
#10 JHU
#17 Rutg
#20 Tow

Then let's look at where those teams fall on IL's class ranks. My guess is all are getting blue chips on a yearly basis and/or rank well ahead of Loyola on the recruit class lists.
random observer

Post by random observer »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:49 pm Yes, I've been a "supposed" coach, for 20 years. At every level. And I do it 7 days a week.
What's that mean in a lacrosse context? Very odd. All my years, and I've never heard that one.

Please list which college teams you truly think would come out with more than 2 wins over this early season schedule:

#11 Gtown
#4 UMD
#10 JHU
#17 Rutg
#20 Tow

Then let's look at where those teams fall on IL's class ranks. My guess is all are getting blue chips on a yearly basis and/or rank well ahead of Loyola on the recruit class lists.
Maryland and Hopkins absolutely. Georgetown more years than not. But Rutgers doesn't get more big time recruits than Loyola and Towson certainly recruits at a lower level than Loyola.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:49 pm Yes, I've been a "supposed" coach, for 20 years. At every level. And I do it 7 days a week.

#11 Gtown
#4 UMD
#10 JHU
#17 Rutg
#20 Tow

It wasn’t about losing to MD, JHU and Rutgers. It was that their offense was brutal in three straight games. It was about not being in those games in the second half. It was about guys who were good when they got here and guys who were supposed to be good when they got here not developing.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

random observer wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:28 pm

#11 Gtown
#4 UMD
#10 JHU
#17 Rutg
#20 Tow

Maryland and Hopkins absolutely. Georgetown more years than not. But Rutgers doesn't get more big time recruits than Loyola and Towson certainly recruits at a lower level than Loyola.
UMD, JHU and Gtown all generally get earlier cracks at recruits than Loyola.
Rutgers gets worse recruits, but is 10X more active in the portal. Might be the most active team in the nation. But Patriot League rules severely limit who Loyola can bring in.
Again, Very few teams in the whole nation come out of that 5 game stretch with more than 2 wins.
Very few.

After we pounded Gtown, and their terrible day at Richmond, Loyola had the full attention of the Terps.
Same with Hopkins after they pisssed away the game against Denver.
The Rutgers game was the only one I was disappointed in. Flat start. No juice. But I think they had us circled on their schedule for a while.
So I don't think the sky is falling. There's a lot of lax left to play. And we've seen the range of play. Very good to very bad.
Let the boys cook. We'll have a better sample size, ang get to see where that average falls by the time we get through the Lehigh game.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:13 am

#11 Gtown
#4 UMD
#10 JHU
#17 Rutg
#20 Tow

Rutgers gets worse recruits, but is 10X more active in the portal. Might be the most active team in the nation. But Patriot League rules severely limit who Loyola can bring in.
Again, Very few teams in the whole nation come out of that 5 game stretch with more than 2 wins.
Very few.

After we pounded Gtown, and their terrible day at Richmond, Loyola had the full attention of the Terps.
The Rutgers game was the only one I was disappointed in. Flat start. No juice. But I think they had us circled on their schedule for a while.
So I don't think the sky is falling. There's a lot of lax left to play. And we've seen the range of play. Very good to very bad.
Let the boys cook. We'll have a better sample size, ang get to see where that average falls by the time we get through the Lehigh game.
Agree with everything you’ve said here about the schedule as well as the recruiting process discrepancies between Loyola and the other schools. What I’m bothered with is the apparent regression of midfielders under Van. Seems these kids have their best years early and then regress. In addition, in spite of these regressions they never seem to lose their spots. Two years ago we saw a second line group of middies score 5 goals the entire year and yet they continued to play second line the entire year and while younger highly recruited kids never even got on the field. It just seems to me that Van picks his guys at the start of the season and then refuses to make changes. Again, I’m not at practice so I have no idea how these kids practice but to see 4 star recruits like West, Dixon, McGory, Cote, McCullough and others not play means that they were badly recruited or badly coached. If it were one or two guys that’s one thing. But when it seems that none of these guys have progressed to get playing time screams poorly developed and poorly coached. That falls on Van.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Wow! Words cannot describe Thus was a bad loss and certainly not the “ebbs and flow” of a season

Colgate is a better team, last time Loyola lost was 2915
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

20 saves for the Colgate goalie. Either he’s a 1st team AA or we have no shooters. 8 yard empty net and the shot was wide… shots they took were good shots but terrible placement. This has been noticeable the last couple games.
Faceoffs were working and the Hounds were scoring. Didn’t happen that way in the 4th.
Defense, I’d love to know the average goals per minute played against a defense by team. It’s feels like they are playing really well but spend so much time on that side of the ball. Sally’s got to control his emotions and play with more composure. Can’t make that mistake in a close game.
Keep grinding, Hounds!

Post by 1766 »

#11 Gtown
#4 UMD
#10 JHU
#17 Rutg
#20 Tow

Very few.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in recruiting rankings. IL has a couple of guys trying to view film and see every player in person and simply doesn't have the bandwidth or resources to do so. There are programs who bring in more raw talent than Rutgers typically does without question, but I'd be surprised if any program is developing players more than the staff there. Few graduate without being significantly better than they arrived. The portal is also a big thing which it seems to be for a number of schools but ability of the staff and players to integrate those transfers is the real secret sauce. Some programs seem to have a hard time doing that.

Charlie and the staff know talent when they see it. I'd trust them a lot more than the guys at IL.

Tough one for Loyola today. Colgate seemed to win the faceoffs that mattered most.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Formerhound wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:58 pm

#11 Gtown
#4 UMD
#10 JHU
#17 Rutg
#20 Tow

Very few.

Agree with everything you’ve said here about the schedule as well as the recruiting process discrepancies between Loyola and the other schools. What I’m bothered with is the apparent regression of midfielders under Van. Seems these kids have their best years early and then regress. In addition, in spite of these regressions they never seem to lose their spots. Two years ago we saw a second line group of middies score 5 goals the entire year and yet they continued to play second line the entire year and while younger highly recruited kids never even got on the field. It just seems to me that Van picks his guys at the start of the season and then refuses to make changes. Again, I’m not at practice so I have no idea how these kids practice but to see 4 star recruits like West, Dixon, McGory, Cote, McCullough and others not play means that they were badly recruited or badly coached. If it were one or two guys that’s one thing. But when it seems that none of these guys have progressed to get playing time screams poorly developed and poorly coached. That falls on Van.
Agree 100%, it is all about the development and prepardness to play.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

1766 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:41 pm

#11 Gtown
#4 UMD
#10 JHU
#17 Rutg
#20 Tow

Very few.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in recruiting rankings. IL has a couple of guys trying to view film and see every player in person and simply doesn't have the bandwidth or resources to do so. There are programs who bring in more raw talent than Rutgers typically does without question, but I'd be surprised if any program is developing players more than the staff there. Few graduate without being significantly better than they arrived. The portal is also a big thing which it seems to be for a number of schools but ability of the staff and players to integrate those transfers is the real secret sauce. Some programs seem to have a hard time doing that.

Charlie and the staff know talent when they see it. I'd trust them a lot more than the guys at IL.

Tough one for Loyola today. Colgate seemed to win the faceoffs that mattered most.
Loyola can use the transfer portal, they just dont, Mustang, came from Richmond.

I am seeing wins against Bucknell, Holy Cross, Lafayette and Leheigh, maybe Navy, Go 5-2 the next 7 games, end up 7-7
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

#11 Gtown
#4 UMD
#10 JHU
#17 Rutg
#20 Tow

Very few.

They know talent when they see it??? Then what is going on here? Not a single dodge to the goal by a single midfielder today. I rewatched the game. Not one dodge. Higgins’s go a tap in. Otherwise our midfield was invisible. Kamish, Heuston, Binney, Murphy, etc…. There are 17 4 star recruits on this roster and most don’t even play. That’s either bad recruiting or poor development. I vote the latter. Higgins and Kamish were really good when they were freshmen and sophomores. They do nothing now. Murphy has one point in six games yet plays all the time. Binney gets two goals in a game and hasn’t put the ball on net since. Heuston, who I thought would be a stud this year, has been invisible since game one. The offense is one dimensional. Get the ball to x and see if Lindsey can hit a cutter. Worked 3 times today. 6 times it turned into a turnover. Only guys that dodge are James, Poitras, Minicus and Lindsey. So predictable.
Defense today was brutal also. Short sticks getting torched. Bad clears. 10 man Ride gave us fits like it did the last two years.
This team needs to do something and fast. Duke next week will be ugly.

Post by 1766 »

Formerhound wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:08 pm

#11 Gtown
#4 UMD
#10 JHU
#17 Rutg
#20 Tow

Very few.

They know talent when they see it??? Then what is going on here? Not a single dodge to the goal by a single midfielder today. I rewatched the game. Not one dodge. Higgins’s go a tap in. Otherwise our midfield was invisible. Kamish, Heuston, Binney, Murphy, etc…. There are 17 4 star recruits on this roster and most don’t even play. That’s either bad recruiting or poor development. I vote the latter. Higgins and Kamish were really good when they were freshmen and sophomores. They do nothing now. Murphy has one point in six games yet plays all the time. Binney gets two goals in a game and hasn’t put the ball on net since. Heuston, who I thought would be a stud this year, has been invisible since game one. The offense is one dimensional. Get the ball to x and see if Lindsey can hit a cutter. Worked 3 times today. 6 times it turned into a turnover. Only guys that dodge are James, Poitras, Minicus and Lindsey. So predictable.
Defense today was brutal also. Short sticks getting torched. Bad clears. 10 man Ride gave us fits like it did the last two years.
This team needs to do something and fast. Duke next week will be ugly.
I don't have the insight into the program to hazard a guess but I'm sure it's not talent. Some of the stars may align with their recruiting but it means very little. I've seen enough IL two stars or whatever come through Rutgers to know those who are doing these evaluations either don't know what they are looking at or don't have nearly the resources to see the number of players that go through the system. Probably a combination of both.

If you were simply going by "stars" without doing any research I'd bet Loyola has a similar profile recruit that they've always had. That would leave me to think there are other challenges in the program if previous levels aren't being reached. Could be scheme, player leadership, any number of things.

I didn't see the entire game and haven't looked at the stats but I noticed Colgate was winning a lot of the faceoffs from what I did see. That has a huge impact on a team, specifically the offense who feels they have to play perfect to have a chance.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:16 pm

#11 Gtown
#4 UMD
#10 JHU
#17 Rutg
#20 Tow

Very few.

Loyola can use the transfer portal, they just dont, Mustang, came from Richmond.

I am seeing wins against Bucknell, Holy Cross, Lafayette and Leheigh, maybe Navy, Go 5-2 the next 7 games, end up 7-7
They can use it, but there are some weird rules for PL and grad students.

Didn't watch the game today. Don't have to. Whatever you say, I'm on board.

Worst program loss since Butler.

Too much talent to lay that egg.

There needs to be some introspection and some new focus.

Coaches, players, trainers, bus driver- they are all on notice. No one's safe from blame for this one.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The secret of the recruiting rankings is for the most part they rely on the opinions of the coaches. It's not a coincidence that for the most part all of the 5-star players or Top 50 recruits are going to the schools that are winning the most games.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

random observer wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:55 am

Identify talent
Recruit talent
Develop talent
West Point.

Just Matt Minicus, who is off to a bit of a slow start after a terrific freshman season. The lack of development offensively is a warranted concern; how many of the starting six are significantly better than they were as freshmen?
Poitras (because he plays box) and James (because he never leaves the field). All of the rest have regressed.

Compare that to defense where Houlihan, Ramon, Bean, Callahan, Sullivan and others didn’t really see the field as freshmen but are contributing now. In addition Sherwood and Sally as well as McGilligudy have all gotten better under Coach Dwan.

What is the common denominator here?
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Formerhound wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:12 pm
random observer wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:55 am

Identify talent
Recruit talent
Develop talent
West Point.

Poitras (because he plays box) and James (because he never leaves the field). All of the rest have regressed.

Compare that to defense where Houlihan, Ramon, Bean, Callahan, Sullivan and others didn’t really see the field as freshmen but are contributing now. In addition Sherwood and Sally as well as McGilligudy have all gotten better under Coach Dwan.

What is the common denominator here?
100% correct

I have said it now for a long time... Dwan and Toomey has the players ready to play and they develop players. We are on the same page, if Loyola wants to get back to where they were, there needs to be a change in the offense. Van Arsdale is not putting the players into situations that they can be successful. For example, different players with different skill sets, but we are still using the same Man up offense that we used with Spencer et al.

Plus as former hound has said, the middies cannot dodge, beat their man or create the slides that are needed for the attack. And some of the middies that have played are or were just window dressing, Bateman played for three years and did nothing
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Not a lot of talk about a forgone conclusion this Saturday.

Baby steps to improve

Glaring stats as we reach the halfway point of the season

56 goals 32 assists 88pts or 14.67/game rank 56
Out GBs 153=194 69/77
Clears 82% rank 61/77
Faces offs, rank 68/77
Shot percentage 25% 62/77
Man up 20% tied at 64

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”