Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Lax101

Re: Games Today

Post by Lax101 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:43 am Stonybrook beating CUSE wasn't a surprise..SB is a strong well coached team and they do this every year. Just goes to show how small the gap is between all these teams. Why not StonyBrook? if there was ever a year for them to have a shot to win it all..it would be this year.

You can't say they arent contenders because no else really is. They qualify by default
I disagree completely. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. SB played the much better game. Their defense was better and their offensive execution was better, and they squeeked out a 1 goal game against Cuse who in my opinion played awful, looked awful and made zero adjustments. Dropped passes in the 8 by girls wide open, girls more concerned about shooting BTB instead of making easy shots etc. IMO NW, BC and ND would be heavy favorites against SB by denying Finn behind and locking off EM. I was surprised that Cuse coach allowed SB to run the same play from behind the cage and never made adjustments.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:28 am
MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:20 am Also, let's pump the brakes on Masera. Kailyn Hart was way more impressive IMO.
Pump the brakes on her?
The girl was phenomenal (and in more than just one phase of the game)!!!!
Not that anyone cares, but opinion from a team neutral observer

1) I don’t usually watch Stony Brook, so haven’t seen her play much, but Masera is awesome to watch. An outstanding game and absolutely owned the overtime period. If that is her typical performance, has to be in the Tewaarton finalist conversation.
2) Very entertaining game, and in my opinion in no way was this ruined or negatively impacted by Refs. Green cards are part of the game now. No one wants to hear about your grandfather walking to school in the snow either. Live with it – move on. (I will say I am happy for Baxter that the goal was at even strength – she was very upset on sideline)
3) Even if you are Syracuse fan, you can’t blame the refs. Stony Brook outplayed them when it mattered. Cards - SB 8, Cuse 5 so Cuse with more man up opportunities. I think Cuse had 2 7v5 and didn’t score. Also Cuse gave up a man down goal. Cuse won the FP shots category – 10/6 (FP goals 5/3). The best team last night won - period.
4) Only read these this morning and not during game, but Relax77 had a day for themselves yesterday. Joe S a worm and used car salesman. Masera a flopper. Outofnowhere a jerkoff. Tyrrell dislikes Ward. Busy several hours.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:20 am
What's kind of amazing here is many of the SB goals were just cuts and feeds. The funniest part of this is, it's a drill Joe runs all the time called three spot. It was kind of shocking to see the lack of awareness (or laziness) on covering the cutters allowing the openings.
That because Cuse plays a Zone D and we all know you beat a zone with active cutting into the soft spots (ball usually moves better from behind and wings also). It is also very helpful that SB plays a Zone D themselves so their offense gets tons of practice vs zone defense.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:00 am
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:43 am Stonybrook beating CUSE wasn't a surprise..SB is a strong well coached team and they do this every year. Just goes to show how small the gap is between all these teams. Why not StonyBrook? if there was ever a year for them to have a shot to win it all..it would be this year.

You can't say they arent contenders because no else really is. They qualify by default
I disagree completely. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. SB played the much better game. Their defense was better and their offensive execution was better, and they squeeked out a 1 goal game against Cuse who in my opinion played awful, looked awful and made zero adjustments. Dropped passes in the 8 by girls wide open, girls more concerned about shooting BTB instead of making easy shots etc. IMO NW, BC and ND would be heavy favorites against SB by denying Finn behind and locking off EM. I was surprised that Cuse coach allowed SB to run the same play from behind the cage and never made adjustments.
Absolutely this. Cuse was bad all over the field and yet, they still could’ve won that game lol. Stony Brook is good, not great.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:20 am
2004wrongisland wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:35 pm Masera is clearly a likely Tewaarton finalist after tonight. 4 goals including the game winner in OT, 9 draw controls, two falling down highlight reel goals. She’s a special player and showed it tonight.
What's kind of amazing here is many of the SB goals were just cuts and feeds. The funniest part of this is, it's a drill Joe runs all the time called three spot. It was kind of shocking to see the lack of awareness (or laziness) on covering the cutters allowing the openings.

Also, let's pump the brakes on Masera. Kailyn Hart was way more impressive IMO.

Hats off to Joe and SB for the win, but it doesn't mean I have to like the guy. :lol:
I’m with you, Hart all the way for last nights win. And Levy as a second. Not a messera fan, or the flopping.
Cuse hasn’t looked good all season. Especially when it mattered. A lot of hype about Treanor not a lot results.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:37 am
spidey44 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:01 am

And LiveLoveLax where they'll drop out on the Friday of the tournament...
They played on Sunday of LLL. In a middle-B pool where they blew everyone out.
Facts :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

EM is the quickest player on the field and uses her speed very well. She is the focal point of the offense averaging about 12 shots per game. That may be more than Scane in her highest year. Most plays are designed for her and Hart and rightly so as Spallina coaches to his strengths. Was happy to see her start to be recognized as an attacker since she plays strictly attack for 95 percent of the game and never leaves the field and rarely crosses the restraining line. Clearly a top 5 attacker in the country IMO.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Only read these this morning and not during game, but Relax77 had a day for themselves yesterday. Joe S a worm and used car salesman. Masera a flopper. Outofnowhere a jerkoff. Tyrrell dislikes Ward. Busy several hours.

Probably shouldn’t have posted during the game. We literally put our dog down right before the game started. 😕
I was joking about Tyrell. But Masera was flopping on every contact. (Except the goal, I don’t think that was a flop. Insane flop when she lost the ball twenty seconds earlier though. And come on, Everyone here knows about Outofnowhere. And I was complimentary of Joe. He’s a great coach.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

A few other games of interest for me.

Kicking off the day with Coastal vs. Binghampton. Can the Chants find enough offense to win this OOC match-up? Will the "surf turf" provide any advantage? LR has this a 53% win probability for Bearcats.

Florida vs UC Davis. UCD has flown under the radar with some decent wins coming into the contest 5-1. We will see if UCD is real or not at 4 PM. My guess? Florida wins handily (and we won't hear about UCD for the rest of the season). LR has this as a 95% win for the Gators.

Cal vs Army. Cal looks a little improved over previous years, but the Golden Bears may still be that team of old. Army needs another win to break the slump. LR has this as a near 96% win for Army.

Liberty vs Pitt. Will the projected #2 ASUN team beat the bottom tier of the ACC? I wouldn't be shocked if it happened. On IL pick'ems it looks like a 50-50 for each team. LR has this as a 79.8% win for Liberty.

Any thoughts on these games?
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:28 am
MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:20 am Also, let's pump the brakes on Masera. Kailyn Hart was way more impressive IMO.
Pump the brakes on her?
The girl was phenomenal (and in more than just one phase of the game)!!!!
Yes, pump those brakes. She good, so put her on the list, but she's not winning the Tewaarton IMO. I'd put Jill Smith ahead of her as well as a few other players.
DMac

Post by DMac »

forthelaxofit wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:05 am
2) Very entertaining game, and in my opinion in no way was this ruined or negatively impacted by Refs. Green cards are part of the game now. No one wants to hear about your grandfather walking to school in the snow either. Live with it – move on.
We will differ in opinion, this game was absolutely, and unquestionably, negatively impacted by the officials. I'd call the complaining by SU and SB fans to be 50-50. They were god awful....lengthy conferences trying to decide a call, petty calls, and more. This game went on for nearly three hours....we're approaching the length of football games which is a god awful slow game and effected far too much by officials.
Live with it? I'm not seeing living with policies that ruin a game as advice to be followed.
CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:47 am
Only read these this morning and not during game, but Relax77 had a day for themselves yesterday. Joe S a worm and used car salesman. Masera a flopper. Outofnowhere a jerkoff. Tyrrell dislikes Ward. Busy several hours.

Probably shouldn’t have posted during the game. We literally put our dog down right before the game started. 😕
I was joking about Tyrell. But Masera was flopping on every contact. (Except the goal, I don’t think that was a flop. Insane flop when she lost the ball twenty seconds earlier though. And come on, Everyone here knows about Outofnowhere. And I was complimentary of Joe. He’s a great coach.
Sorry about your dog - that's a terrible day for sure.
njbill

Post by njbill »

+1. Few things in life are tougher than having to put down a beloved pet. Very sorry.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:01 am
forthelaxofit wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:05 am
2) Very entertaining game, and in my opinion in no way was this ruined or negatively impacted by Refs. Green cards are part of the game now. No one wants to hear about your grandfather walking to school in the snow either. Live with it – move on.
We will differ in opinion, this game was absolutely, and unquestionably, negatively impacted by the officials. I'd call the complaining by SU and SB fans to be 50-50. They were god awful....lengthy conferences trying to decide a call, petty calls, and more. This game went on for nearly three hours....we're approaching the length of football games which is a god awful slow game and effected far too much by officials.
Live with it? I'm not seeing living with policies that ruin a game as advice to be followed.
CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lot of rules in sports I don't agree with. For instance, if I could change the NFL rule about a pass being a catch when it hits the ground but "in control", I would. That slows a game down as it is watched from every angle and in the end is a subjective call by an official in New York. Or how you many roughing the QB calls there are know. But I am not able to change rules I don't like. So I can continue to complain about them for months or years, stop watching the sport, or move on. I elect to move on instead of looking at every game being played as ruined. As you say, we differ in opinion.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

McLax9777 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:19 am A lot of hype about Treanor not a lot results.
I think that's true of Syracuse and not just Treanor.
Bart

Post by Bart »

ultravisitor wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:12 pm
McLax9777 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:19 am A lot of hype about Treanor not a lot results.
Curious what results is she not living up to? If I am not misremembering I believe the Orange were in the final 4 last year?
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:37 am EM is the quickest player on the field and uses her speed very well. She is the focal point of the offense averaging about 12 shots per game. That may be more than Scane in her highest year. Most plays are designed for her and Hart and rightly so as Spallina coaches to his strengths. Was happy to see her start to be recognized as an attacker since she plays strictly attack for 95 percent of the game and never leaves the field and rarely crosses the restraining line. Clearly a top 5 attacker in the country IMO.
[/quote

Joe has always listed her as a middie because less competition in that area for AA and tewwy. But you are right 95% of time she’s an attacker
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Bart wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:35 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:12 pm
Curious what results is she not living up to? If I am not misremembering I believe the Orange were in the final 4 last year?
They won’t be this year.
Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Spallina had gotten the Cuse job.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

SB zone gave Cuse fits last night. Cuse did miss on some point blank shots that could have won it, but the 1 and 2 man up was terrible for Cuse. Where were the cutters as was previously stated?? That SB zone was very aggressive and active. The SB zone looks different than other zones to me. They are able to pressure out high and still clog the middle. The 2 up top with high pressure and 5 back locking down the middle is not easy to make work, credit the coach. The team that played with more energy won last night.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

laxer12 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:10 am
Lax101 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:00 am

Absolutely this. Cuse was bad all over the field and yet, they still could’ve won that game lol. Stony Brook is good, not great.
Thanks njbill and forthelaxof it. Definitely difficult, especially watching my daughters deal with it.

I agree with a lot, especially he dropped balls. Way too many for a top 25 team. I didn’t mind the two btb’s. One was a drop the other was bang bang. I agree, when you get both coaches screaming at the same official, it usually is a fairly called game. Even if it’s consistently bad, it’s consistent. Green cards are here but that doesn’t mean you can’t dislike them. The Tax code isn’t going away, that doesn’t mean we have to like it. 😁

I think Spallina is a really good coach. Does more with less. But he does have Hart (GR) and Masera (SN) I have a feeling next year that team drops off so now would be a great time for him to jump.

See. It’s starting to get play on Instagram. Look how happy the little guy looks. 😁 I know one poster didn’t like it but I think I’m sticking with the “Italian Leprechaun”
Attachments
View recent photos 2 Small.jpeg
View recent photos 2 Small.jpeg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 659 times

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”