Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BlueJaySince1947

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:00 pm It's been a difficult year for Maryland sports with the Ravens and Orioles losing early after being #1 seeds in the playoffs. While I loathe to agree with a syracuse poster, they are right. Playoffs are what matter. Nonetheless, a tremendous win. Hopefully a lacrosse team from this state goes farther than Ravens or Orioles and clinches a title.
Yep...I can remember when the season counted...
molo

Post by molo »

Imagine what this year is like for a Baltimorean who went to UVA. Talk about sound and fury signifying nothing! Fortunately I’ve got that Hopkins thing in the basement.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Think we'd be the consensus #1 right now if not for the Denver fluke. As it is, Jays should be top 3 on Monday morning. 51 said it best — time to handle success. This team hasn't been "the hunted" in awhile. Can't let up.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

And not to state the obvious, but Syracuse is a whole lot better than their record.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

performance yesterday continues to get better when you go deeper into some of the numbers.

UVA had been 8th in the country in gbs, led the nation 6/7 years, beat Hop 42-22 last year in the game in gbs and lost them 44-35 yesterday. They only lost the gb battle twice last year-to duke and notre dame. UVA world seems to be placing the whole loss on their faceoff guy being out and to a lesser extent on some other factors, but that's an impressive turnaround for Hopkins. I thought the wings could've done more to help dunn/callahan, but those numbers speak for themselves.

https://www.si.com/college/virginia/lac ... ns-hopkins

UVA also only had 2 6 on 6 goals in the second half according to the writer. They averaged 17 goals a game last year. Jameson did something well at halftime.

Wayer was spotlighted as a plus for them, as was Turenzi who had a goal. In the past we've had issues with 2 way middies. I think Princeton's guy Currier was a real headache for Petro and the guys for a few years.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:34 pm performance yesterday continues to get better when you go deeper into some of the numbers.

UVA had been 8th in the country in gbs, led the nation 6/7 years, beat Hop 42-22 last year in the game in gbs and lost them 44-35 yesterday. They only lost the gb battle twice last year-to duke and notre dame. UVA world seems to be placing the whole loss on their faceoff guy being out and to a lesser extent on some other factors, but that's an impressive turnaround for Hopkins. I thought the wings could've done more to help dunn/callahan, but those numbers speak for themselves.

https://www.si.com/college/virginia/lac ... ns-hopkins

UVA also only had 2 6 on 6 goals in the second half according to the writer. They averaged 17 goals a game last year. Jameson did something well at halftime.

Wayer was spotlighted as a plus for them, as was Turenzi who had a goal. In the past we've had issues with 2 way middies. I think Princeton's guy Currier was a real headache for Petro and the guys for a few years.
15 of those GBs were attributed to Hopkins faceoffs. I still think Hopkins would have had the edge even if UVa had their top FO guy. UVa posters do have a legitimate gripe however.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

i salivate at the thought of this coaching staff getting and developing multiple top 5 recruits like UVa. We all saw what a difference the #1 FO recruit (a freshman) did for UNC against Hopkins and Penn's seasoned FO guys today. hopefully on field success makes this come to fruition.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

No way I thought Hop would be 2 in the poll this week. Feels like it's been a birthright for Duke/ND/Maryland to be top 5 for the last decade+.

If you look at the box scores from last year vs uva to this year the faceoff gbs standout (from 11-3 uva to 15-3 hop) but also the close defense. Last year even with brother mazone starting at close d (he had 0 gbs) hopkins close d only had 5 while uvas close d had 10 gbs. This year it was 10-3 hop.

The Millon character (who had a quiet day Saturday) made a big showy video about choosing UVA as his school (I think Hopkins was one of the finalists), but they had a kid named Truitt Sunderland who I thought was also a potential Hopkins recruit or decommitted. When I looked him up there were a bunch of articles about him and the late Jeremy Huber but nothing about a Hopkins commitment.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:19 am No way I thought Hop would be 2 in the poll this week. Feels like it's been a birthright for Duke/ND/Maryland to be top 5 for the last decade+.

If you look at the box scores from last year vs uva to this year the faceoff gbs standout (from 11-3 uva to 15-3 hop) but also the close defense. Last year even with brother mazone starting at close d (he had 0 gbs) hopkins close d only had 5 while uvas close d had 10 gbs. This year it was 10-3 hop.

The Millon character (who had a quiet day Saturday) made a big showy video about choosing UVA as his school (I think Hopkins was one of the finalists), but they had a kid named Truitt Sunderland who I thought was also a potential Hopkins recruit or decommitted. When I looked him up there were a bunch of articles about him and the late Jeremy Huber but nothing about a Hopkins commitment.
That was Millon's younger brother, Brendan, with the video about his recruiting process. McCabe is an excellent player, going to be a good one (already is) — but on Saturday, Kilrain took him out of the game. I've watched a lot of lacrosse in the last month and while it's tough to compare a defenseman to an attackman, I'd say that pound for pound, Kilrain has been the most impressive freshman in the country.

Sunderland was never committed, though he grew up a Hopkins fan and many thought he'd eventually end up at Homewood, but that was before the coaching change. He appears to have fallen out of favor with the UVA staff. 0 pts so far this season after he had 17 last year as a freshman.

I'm sure there will be some consternation that we were ranked one spot ahead of undefeated Army, but luckily for the Black Knights, they have a legit chance to go undefeated. The rest of their schedule is a cakewalk, so if they just keep winning they will probably be #2 or #1 soon.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:45 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:19 am No way I thought Hop would be 2 in the poll this week. Feels like it's been a birthright for Duke/ND/Maryland to be top 5 for the last decade+.

That was Millon's younger brother, Brendan, with the video about his recruiting process. McCabe is an excellent player, going to be a good one (already is) — but on Saturday, Kilrain took him out of the game. I've watched a lot of lacrosse in the last month and while it's tough to compare a defenseman to an attackman, I'd say that pound for pound, Kilrain has been the most impressive freshman in the country.

Sunderland was never committed, though he grew up a Hopkins fan and many thought he'd eventually end up at Homewood, but that was before the coaching change. He appears to have fallen out of favor with the UVA staff. 0 pts so far this season after he had 17 last year as a freshman.

I'm sure there will be some consternation that we were ranked one spot ahead of undefeated Army, but luckily for the Black Knights, they have a legit chance to go undefeated. The rest of their schedule is a cakewalk, so if they just keep winning they will probably be #2 or #1 soon.
I have watched Kilrain for almost 3 years. He was the best pole on a NC HS team. His IQ and tenacity have always been his strong suit. He came out as college ready as a young player can be. He could fit into any defense. The Lawrenceville schemes on defense are much more complex, than the offense. The only question he had coming out was how much upside did he have? He is not necessarily a physical freak. Can he be a top cover man or just a very solid college defender. He probably had the highest floor of any pole coming out in his recruiting class. Going to be fun to watch his journey, really good kid.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Not to change the subject off a good win but...

Congrats to the Hopkins Women's basketball team for making the sweet 16. First time in 25 years (1998) which I think was Angie Arnold and Julie Anderson's senior year. Both, have their names all over the Hopkins women's basketball record book.

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2024/3/3 ... -1998.aspx
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Just out of Curiosity, with Hops high ratings , #2 or #3 in many polls, when was the last time they were ranked #1 in official polls? Not MY poll or Quints, but an official poll?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:48 am Just out of Curiosity, with Hops high ratings , #2 or #3 in many polls, when was the last time they were ranked #1 in official polls? Not MY poll or Quints, but an official poll?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I'm guessing 2012. They started the season 8-0 or something like that, including a win over UVa.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:45 am

Maybe ESPN covered the story in last years game, but big L from UVA not getting this into the game coverage.

https://giving.jhu.edu/story/12-year-ol ... holarship/

Quint couldn't help himself last weekend again on the broadcast. I'm paraphrasing "PM had a great thing going at Cornell, heard all the reasons that Hopkins wasn't a good job and didn't believe any of it and thought he could win there". His "And here comes Schellenbergers case for the Tewaraaton" in the fourth was another special QK gasm.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

They really shortened the bench against the Hoos. Kaufman, Brown, L. Martin, C. Chauvette, Ince, and Arteaga did not appear at all, while Grimes was the only mainstay on the 2nd midfield line as they alternated between Ayers, H. Chauvette, Evans, and maybe a token run for McDermott, who is playing almost exclusively on the wing these days after having played a bit more offense in the first few games. With English out and McDermott not in settled O sets much these days, the midfield depth is not quite what we thought it might be a month ago — but that was to be expected with injuries/guys moving around/etc. I sound like a broken record but I would like to Iler on the field at some point this season (if/when he's healthy). He popped in the fall as someone who could create separation.

I'm also a tad concerned about how much Deans is on the field — he was everywhere vs. Virginia — given his injury history. If he can stay upright into May, it'll be a big boost. Haven't had a full season out of him yet. Kilrain appears to be solidifying his spot on close D, bumping Stoebner to LSM #2.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Ok, it was a nice weekend and the Blue Jays should be proud of their wins to date.

Having said that … Syracuse is a really talented squad that is coming together as a team. The Orange could easily have been 7-0 and the number one team in the nation.

I’m sure the Blue Jays are already focused on the game in Charlotte. Otherwise, the massive celebratin’ following the win over Virginia is going to look a little silly.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

This is just your annual reminder that it wasn't that long ago that many people on this thread wanted PM gone....

Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (92.24 KiB) Viewed 383 times
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

NNELax wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:33 pm This is just your annual reminder that it wasn't that long ago that many people on this thread wanted PM gone....
"Many people" is a stretch. It was a one or two, and they don't really show their faces in here anymore. Sag A hasn't been seen since last season.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:24 pm I'm also a tad concerned about how much Deans is on the field — he was everywhere vs. Virginia — given his injury history. If he can stay upright into May, it'll be a big boost. Haven't had a full season out of him yet. Kilrain appears to be solidifying his spot on close D, bumping Stoebner to LSM #2.
I think we'll be OK. Brown and Kaufman are both perfectly competent (maybe even better than that), even if they have fallen out of favor for whatever reason.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:00 pm It's been a difficult year for Maryland sports with the Ravens and Orioles losing early after being #1 seeds in the playoffs. While I loathe to agree with a syracuse poster, they are right. Playoffs are what matter. Nonetheless, a tremendous win. Hopefully a lacrosse team from this state goes farther than Ravens or Orioles and clinches a title.
Also...I absolutely abhor the Ravens as do many Baltimore Colts fans. I grew up with Orioles when they were dominant in the old International AAA league.
Memorial stadium was a great venue to watch them...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”