GBs by Quarter:

1st - Hop 13-7
2nd - 11-11
3rd - 10-11
4th - 10-6
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:46 pm Aot of confusing comments for a team that just beat probably the best team in the country at their place.
- Chayse might have gotten 2 bananas
- Face-offs sometimes don't lie and the possession advantage is what fueled the victory
- 06 the unathletic midfield of Peshko Grimes and Collison just accounted for 9 goals
- The short handed goal was huge
- disagree with '47 maybe QK's best called game in many a while - controlled even handed concentrated on the game - hyped it when appropriate because it was such a good game - except for the speeding ticket discussion on 29 - but he wasn't wrong about that either
- Thought UVA's decision to pole Bauer constantly was questionable - yes he's very quick and a good passer but the SSDMs of UVA had trouble with the Hopkins size
- Now we get a great glimpse of can they handle success - Cuse fans can moan all they want about how the D hasn't sorted itself out but that offense can be electric - Hopkins gets off the bus or plane in Charlotte and thinks "we got this" rude surprise - focus
What helped Quint was he didn't have Anish or Carc with him he had someone else. Anish and Carc get him distracted a lot and Carc's syracuse fandom has been insufferable this year. He ran out of superlatives to deify Spallina-before Valentines Day.

51 watch the middle of the game. When the ball was going through Grimes/Peshko/Collison in 6 on 6 it was slowing down and they had some awful turnovers. They recovered nicely but having Bauer out there helped a lot.

I thought Stuart Phillips was close on man up- his looks he was getting were just a bit off. Grimes, Peshko, Aviles, have all stepped up in recent weeks, his moment is coming.

Chauvette and Ayers quietly had confident games. Not easy to be a freshman in these big early moments with all those veterans but all you can really ask is they "don't look like freshmen" and they haven't.

They had a lot of possessions today where multiple offensive players including attackmen were caught on d for the first time all year. Obviously Angelus and Degnon I think both took penalties. There were other possessions they got away with where Ayers and Grimes were caught on d. Some of that was Nunes stepping up big.

The clearing was much improved and the Angelus man down goal also killed almost all of the penalty. If he waits a few seconds more they kill it off so UVA doesn't have an advantage on the subsequent faceoff where they scored.

Chauvette seems to love that low right corner for shooting.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:30 pm I thought Stuart Phillips was close on man up- his looks he was getting were just a bit off.
He did not take a shot today, and has not taken a shot all season. What are you talking about?

Yes, some offensive middies were caught on D. That happens against a team like UVA that runs.

This was arguably the biggest win in six seasons and you're nitpicking a couple of turnovers from three middies that combined for 10 points and won us the game. Give it a rest already and just enjoy the win for the night.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:30 pm 51 watch the middle of the game.
I don't have to rewatch the game. Yes - Grimes pass was a little bit lazy and it got picked off - stuff happens - you do understand that the UVA defense has players with wingspans of Andean Condors and some decent d-mids as well???? They can commit 6 TOs for every 9 goals they score that they want.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:43 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:30 pm 51 watch the middle of the game.
I don't have to rewatch the game. Yes - Grimes pass was a little bit lazy and it got picked off - stuff happens - you do understand that the UVA defense has players with wingspans of Andean Condors and some decent d-mids as well???? They can commit 6 TOs for every 9 goals they score that they want.
This is absolutely the case. I had to talk myself down a few times and remember that so called mistakes were coming against arguably the biggest and most athletic poles in division 1
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Clutch saves and FO wins. Fought hard for every gb. Key CTs. Even a man-down goal (when’s the last time we saw that?). Won the second half. Looked more athletic than Virginia. :shock:

We haven’t seen a Hopkins team like this in a long, long time.

DocBarrister :o
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Kyle Harrison's twiiter post is priceless - need more from the big time alums
As is the picture of the Hopkins coaches with the Doyle Smith Cup - Pete looks like he is holding his Aunt B's ashes
He's already thinking about Syracuse I imagine
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:23 pm I’ll go ahead and say it. Quinton Kilrain is the best freshman in the nation.
Fair to say that we all have a new favorite QK?
Bluejayfan2

Post by Bluejayfan2 »

Infrequent poster here but been watching since freshman year in 81. Heard Quint say our little fast SSM’s were beating (more athletic) UVA’s big guys. Hasn’t this been a knock on the Bluejay midfield for the last decade on these boards? For this 40 year novice, what changed? . Enlighten me. Is all that weight training on Bluejay Instagram page paying off? TIC
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Bluejayfan2 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:13 pm Infrequent poster here but been watching since freshman year in 81. Heard Quint say our little fast SSM’s were beating (more athletic) UVA’s big guys. Hasn’t this been a knock on the Bluejay midfield for the last decade on these boards? For this 40 year novice, what changed? . Enlighten me. Is all that weight training on Bluejay Instagram page paying off? TIC
I don't think that's the case at all - either that it happened or that QK said it exactly like that. In fact, as I said UVA might make a different decision if they play again in NCAAs - no way I pole Bauer and let Collison bull his way through the china shop and give Peshko some better looks a second time. Kaestner locked up Angelus - only goal was a shorthanded miscommunciation and Bauer/Ayers had 3 assists between them - not horrible but certainly the smaller/quicker middies/attack for Hopkins did not dominate the game. It was Hopkins size at midfield that made a huge difference.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

It's been a difficult year for Maryland sports with the Ravens and Orioles losing early after being #1 seeds in the playoffs. While I loathe to agree with a syracuse poster, they are right. Playoffs are what matter. Nonetheless, a tremendous win. Hopefully a lacrosse team from this state goes farther than Ravens or Orioles and clinches a title.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

congrats to blue jay fans. know you'll move on to next week next week, but this win must feel good. hope to see jays again.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

it just dawned on me that we have gone to cornell for our headcoach twice in succession with some modicum of success
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:00 pm It's been a difficult year for Maryland sports with the Ravens and Orioles losing early after being #1 seeds in the playoffs. While I loathe to agree with a syracuse poster, they are right. Playoffs are what matter. Nonetheless, a tremendous win. Hopefully a lacrosse team from this state goes farther than Ravens or Orioles and clinches a title.
The Ravens have an MVP qb and super bowl winning coach. The Orioles are a long way from their Sidney Ponson abyss when I was there. Things could be worse.

https://virginiasports.com/news/2024/03 ... nia-16-14/

At the bottom some interesting comments from Tiffany about "The Hopkins transition offense". Of the umpteenth pieces written on PM and Crawley I don't remember anything about JC wanting to push in transition and I certainly don't remember much of that from the Benson offense that Crawley is supposed to be coming from.
DocBarrister

Are the Blue Jays the Most Physical Team in College Lacrosse?

Post by DocBarrister »

I’ve been watching for this season’s Blue Jays to come together and develop a team identity.

To my surprise, what I have seen develop is this:

The 2024 Johns Hopkins University Blue Jays are the most physical team in college lacrosse.

:shock: :o

We saw that in today’s game against Virginia. Multiple times we saw Shellenberger mauled by the Hopkins D. Fierce fights for gbs on faceoffs. Any Cavalier trying to shoot from the crease was swarmed by Blue Jay defenders.

The downside of all that physicality has been penalties. This season has been a PenaltyPalooza for the Blue Jays, and in just 6 games, the team has 10 minutes and 30 seconds more in penalties than their opponents.

I can’t recall any Hopkins team, going back to the 1980s, as physical in their play as the 2024 edition.

The Blue Jays will need to be better about avoiding penalties, but I like this new identity for Hopkins.

It’s exactly what I have long hoped to see … caused turnovers, hard rides, and fierce gb play.

One thing is certain … any team playing Hopkins this season will walk away with some bruises ….

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:15 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:00 pm It's been a difficult year for Maryland sports with the Ravens and Orioles losing early after being #1 seeds in the playoffs. While I loathe to agree with a syracuse poster, they are right. Playoffs are what matter. Nonetheless, a tremendous win. Hopefully a lacrosse team from this state goes farther than Ravens or Orioles and clinches a title.
The Ravens have an MVP qb and super bowl winning coach. The Orioles are a long way from their Sidney Ponson abyss when I was there. Things could be worse.

https://virginiasports.com/news/2024/03 ... nia-16-14/

At the bottom some interesting comments from Tiffany about "The Hopkins transition offense". Of the umpteenth pieces written on PM and Crawley I don't remember anything about JC wanting to push in transition and I certainly don't remember much of that from the Benson offense that Crawley is supposed to be coming from.
True. Was just such a let down from a fantastic regular season to get bounced before the final round.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:09 pm congrats to blue jay fans. know you'll move on to next week next week, but this win must feel good. hope to see jays again.
Thanks, wgdsr.

I’ll be perfectly honest … would not mind if Hopkins only has to beat Virginia once this season.

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:15 pm https://virginiasports.com/news/2024/03 ... nia-16-14/

Transition offense is not the sole responsibility of the offensive coordinator. There's a head coach and a D coordinator who have a say in things, too. The staff has clearly (and correctly) identified that we have some horses who can get up and down the field quickly to capitalize on transition opportunities. No one is going to mistake this team for 2016 Brown, but they can play fast when they want to. It is a good thing that they have showed the ability to win slow, low-scoring slugfests AND high-octane, fast-paced games. That versatility will come in handy again.

The Jays won the second half 8-4, and the fourth quarter 5-2. Safe to say they've learned from the Denver debacle, which in hindsight was clearly a one-in-a-thousand fluke. If that loss doesn't happen, I wonder if they'd have found the extra gear to come back (and then hold the lead) today.

Anyone see what happened on Virginia's final failed clear? The broadcast didn't catch it. Wasn't sure if they just threw the ball away or if our ride forced it. Doesn't matter either way, just curious.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Jays certainly capitalized on the faceoffs today. UVA's injured top FO went 16-25 against Hopkins last year.

https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... core/22842
molo

Post by molo »

Hopkins is definitely the most physical team UVA has faced this year, clearly more so than the other two Big 10 teams they have faced.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”