Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GaitsRightHand

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Abr2016 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:26 am True. Sorry. But still a horrendous shot.
C'mon, you know he had to go for the "Spallina" signature :lol: .
Watched it live and Pilate knew exactly what was coming and v-held him at the perfect time, while an adjacent defender collapsed. Pilate is a 1st Team AA.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

joewillie78 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:34 am In 6 games, Joey Spallina has: 38 Points- 14 goals, 24 assists, and 14 TO's.
Spallina vs Vermont, Colgate, Manhattan, and Utah: 33 points- 13 goals, 20 assists, and 9 TO's. All wins.
Spallina vs MD and Army: 5 points- 1 goal, 4 assists, and 5 TO's. Both losses.
UMD: 1G, 2A, & 1 TO. Army: 0G, 2A, & 4TO.

Need #22 to step up in big games. This is the issue people (and myself) have with him. I don't mind him running it up against lesser opponents (7+ points in all their wins), but when you're not putting up solid points against the good ones and losing, it's not a great look. Looks like he wanted no part of Pilate last night (I wouldn't either, he's an animal).

The defenders matched up on him and schemes against him will only get better from this point on.
I feel for Spallina a bit as he is always going to draw the other teams best defender, just like here at Cornell, Kirst will always draw that assignment. They just have to tough it out, and fight that much harder. Comparing these 2 is a bit difficult as their games are different but being the #1 option, still means that you draw the #1 defenseman, and they know that going in. Everyone on the planet knew Pilate would cover Spallina.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I think the bigger issue is Hiltz is not developed into a real dodging threat. Mule is a nice option at attack but even he is not alpha go to guy at X. A lot falls on Spallina, it’s hard. I feel for him in a sense too. The beauty of Spallinanis his versatility but that attack line is still lacking an alpha dodger at X. Hiltz, Thompson, mule are all box finishers. This will be a problem vs good teams.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Laxitup21 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:24 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:34 am In 6 games, Joey Spallina has: 38 Points- 14 goals, 24 assists, and 14 TO's.
Spallina vs Vermont, Colgate, Manhattan, and Utah: 33 points- 13 goals, 20 assists, and 9 TO's. All wins.

Need #22 to step up in big games. This is the issue people (and myself) have with him. I don't mind him running it up against lesser opponents (7+ points in all their wins), but when you're not putting up solid points against the good ones and losing, it's not a great look. Looks like he wanted no part of Pilate last night (I wouldn't either, he's an animal).

The defenders matched up on him and schemes against him will only get better from this point on.
I feel for Spallina a bit as he is always going to draw the other teams best defender, just like here at Cornell, Kirst will always draw that assignment. They just have to tough it out, and fight that much harder. Comparing these 2 is a bit difficult as their games are different but being the #1 option, still means that you draw the #1 defenseman, and they know that going in. Everyone on the planet knew Pilate would cover Spallina.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I think the bigger issue is Hiltz is not developed into a real dodging threat. Mule is a nice option at attack but even he is not alpha go to guy at X. A lot falls on Spallina, it’s hard. I feel for him in a sense too. The beauty of Spallinanis his versatility but that attack line is still lacking an alpha dodger at X. Hiltz, Thompson, mule are all box finishers. This will be a problem vs good teams.
I think eventually they will have to move Leo to attack and bump Hiltz to the 1st mid line. Leo has the dodging ability to help out Joey on the 1st line. Peyton Anderson the top recruit in next years class has the dodging ability to really help Joey but obviously he wont be here until the fall.
Dosadi

Post by Dosadi »

Stayed up late watching the game “on demand” - best game of the year for me. Tip of the cap to Syracuse on 2 tough losses in OT. Good luck the rest of the season to this team that is truly fun to watch.
maddog29

Post by maddog29 »

One helllof a game - not a lot to distinguish which team was the best. The Cadets did what they always do - play physical, out-stamina every team they play, play disciplined as a team, play HARD lax. The Orange offense was quite good, Mark was unreal with 3 or 4 point blank stone saves, Mason was fine at the X but two lsm's from Army kept getting the gb's, and close D & lsm play was good. As I have posted all year, the SU SSDM situation is terrible - Carter Rice is as good as anone in DI IMHO, but Trujillo is very fast but too small and horribly ineffective, no Stevens, Titus just getting healthy, Jake Spallina and Levine filling in as best as can - in short at least 8 Cadet goals wer scred on ssdm's poor play. Until the Orange can f=get a couple more ssdms they will struggle against every ood team. I'm still hopeful this will happen soon :D . With all these problems , SU is two OT goals from being undefeated. BTW, one can't get a midfield check takeaway and then miss an empt net goal for the W ....just saying.......
molo

Post by molo »

Leo already replaces Mule on EMO, where they go with four middies and two attackmen. During crunch tim, when they came with the starting attack and first midfield, I wondered about leaving 8 and 9 on the bench.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:27 am
Laxitup21 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:24 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I think eventually they will have to move Leo to attack and bump Hiltz to the 1st mid line. Leo has the dodging ability to help out Joey on the 1st line. Peyton Anderson the top recruit in next years class has the dodging ability to really help Joey but obviously he wont be here until the fall.
Anderson strikes me more of a downhill middie but who knows.

I agree, Leo has to swap with Hiltz at attack. I just think Hiltz, while a nice player, is limited. Maybe #2 overall recruit is a bit high but I find him to be the same player at Thompson and even Mule in a sense. You need dodgers down low. I would roll with Leo at LW asap and say sorry Hiltz. May be a hard pill for him to take.

Mule is fine at X but imo the best attack lineup would have been Britwhistle at R, Spallina at X and Leo at LW
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Frustrating .

Every team can make excuses.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda.
Biggest reason why Cuse has lost to both Maryland and Army is a few lead players beyond Joey haven't performed to billing.

Spallina was fine vs Maryland gettin six shots on goal but awful last night with only 1 sog and 4 turnovers.
Gonna have to face equally talented defenders when playing Duke, UVA , JHU and perhaps others.
Perhaps coaching staff could revise plays or personnel some to help

Cuse team by no means a paper tiger but have not beaten a ranked team since handling Duke in 2022

ACC teams this year only cannibalize each other once in regular season but plenty of opportunities to validate hype and tourney prospects .
But getting late early and Hopkins game on 3/9th has taken on even more significance.
Another " good showing" loss should not be acceptable.
ND learned two years ago that early losses count in formulas and a strong finish guarantees nothing.

Disappointment last night besides the aforementioned is team blowing a three goal 2nd half lead at home .
Too much finesse and not enuff physical and mental toughness.
Time for Gait to stop with young squad excuse, that bs plays into mental softness .
Plenty of teams have a mix of young and old including UVA who start frosh at a few key positions.
Gait inherited several Desko recruits who were cream of crop and the portal supplied plenty of vets to supplement existing vets.

I believe Cuse is a top ten team as far as talent but praise for such has to be earned starting 3/9th.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Laxitup21 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:26 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:55 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:28 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:27 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:21 pm If they lose to Hopkins, not sure they make the tourny unless they dominate ACC play.
Army probably needed this out of conference game more than Syracuse.
Don’t think so. Winning patriot league is much easier than ACC. Only one team is making it from that league. This win may backdoor them in regardless if they lose their conf tourny.
I do.

Look at who Army has left, versus who Syracuse has left.
Syracuse has 7 top 20 opponents left on the schedule, and that's BEFORE the ACC tourney. They're fine.

But yep, they have to start winning against top 20 teams.
Top 20? Lol. That’s like 90% of D1 teams. They need top 7 wins at this point. And who said making the ACC tourny is guaranteed?
Yep, you're right. Making the ACC tourney isn't guaranteed. Nor is winning any games left, if you want to glass half-empty things.

As for "top 7 wins", have a look at Yale from last year. Last at-large team in, yeah?

Now take a look at their "top 7 wins". See how many you can count.

Speaking to 10stone's point: as of today, SU's SOS is #10. Army's is #37. Which team do you think has more chances to beat top 20 teams with their remaining schedules? It's SU, and it's not a close call. That's all he's saying.

But yep, you're right: Syracuse needs to start winning, and start winning right now.
OldOrange

Post by OldOrange »

stupefied wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:50 pm Frustrating .

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.
Biggest reason why Cuse has lost to both Maryland and Army is a few lead players beyond Joey haven't performed to billing.

Spallina was fine vs Maryland gettin six shots on goal but awful last night with only 1 sog and 4 turnovers.
Gonna have to face equally talented defenders when playing Duke, UVA , JHU and perhaps others.

Cuse team by no means a paper tiger but have not beaten a ranked team since handling Duke in 2022

ACC teams this year only cannibalize each other once in regular season but plenty of opportunities to validate hype and tourney prospects .
But getting late early and Hopkins game on 3/9th has taken on even more significance.
ND learned two years ago that early losses count in formulas and a strong finish guarantees nothing.

Disappointment last night besides the aforementioned is team blowing a three goal 2nd half lead at home .
Time for Gait to stop with young squad excuse, that bs plays into mental softness .
Plenty of teams have a mix of young and old including UVA who start frosh at a few key positions.
Gait inherited several Desko recruits who were cream of crop and the portal supplied plenty of vets to supplement existing vets.

I believe Cuse is a top ten team as far as talent but praise for such has to be earned starting 3/9th.
I believe both Princeton and UNC were ranked teams when Syracuse beat them last year. But, I agree with you that they need to win some of these big games, I think they are real close.
coda

Post by coda »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:55 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:21 pm If they lose to Hopkins, not sure they make the tourny unless they dominate ACC play.
Don’t think so. Winning patriot league is much easier than ACC. Only one team is making it from that league. This win may backdoor them in regardless if they lose their conf tourny.
I do.

Syracuse has 7 top 20 opponents left on the schedule, and that's BEFORE the ACC tourney. They're fine.

Top 20? Lol. That’s like 90% of D1 teams. They need top 7 wins at this point. And who said making the ACC tourny is guaranteed?
Yep, you're right. Making the ACC tourney isn't guaranteed. Nor is winning any games left, if you want to glass half-empty things.

As for "top 7 wins", have a look at Yale from last year. Last at-large team in, yeah?

Speaking to 10stone's point: as of today, SU's SOS is #10. Army's is #37. Which team do you think has more chances to beat top 20 teams with their remaining schedules? It's SU, and it's not a close call. That's all he's saying.

But yep, you're right: Syracuse needs to start winning, and start winning right now.
Cuse has a very bad schedule for the tournament. They have really tough games and cupcakes. Not much in between. That makes getting few big wins paramount. I think Yale schedules great for the tournament. Lot of solid teams, rarely play cupcakes, and rarely play a big boy..
a fan

Post by a fan »

coda wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:35 pm
I do.

Cuse has a very bad schedule for the tournament. They have really tough games and cupcakes. Not much in between. That makes getting few big wins paramount. I think Yale schedules great for the tournament. Lot of solid teams, rarely play cupcakes, and rarely play a big boy..
I've always preferred the big hitters, because just two top ten wins gets you in almost without exception. See: Hopkins over the last 20 years.

And if Syracuse can't beat two top 10 RPI teams when given what's likely (that could change) six chances left on their schedule? Not much point to getting into the NCAA's, unless it means that they get some currently injured players back.

We'll see, right? I'm just happy to see them going toe to toe with good teams again. They have to learn to scrap and turn those tough losses into tough wins.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

coda wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:35 pm
I do.

Been saying this for a while. Pretty much need to win at least one, probably two, against the Big 3 (Duke,ND,UVA).

Can't see them getting in the tourney with 6 losses and no top 10 wins.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

So if they beat Hopkins, Delaware, UNC and maybe ND u don't see them getting in?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

DoubleD wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:54 pm So if they beat Hopkins, Delaware, UNC and maybe ND u don't see them getting in?
If they beat ND, they got a good chance, but if they finish with 6 losses and no top 10 wins, it would be unprecedented for them to get in.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

could be that our expectations of the players are a bit too high
Finster

Post by Finster »

sholokov2 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:19 pm

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

could be that our expectations of the players are a bit too high

This team is loaded top to bottom, IMO. Great recruiting classes last two years. The additions of Kohn and Mark, English and Stevens, Mule and Schmitt, make this somewhat of a make or break year; 'Cuse won't see fifth year talent matriculating like this again (Mark is a GR, obviously). The urgency is in identifying the go-to players and schemes. If Mule cans that half-field shot, this debate is mostly settled. Unfortunately, he didn't, so the question remain if this team can make it back to the NCAA tourney.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but in games where Hiltz isn't getting it going, I'd love to see Deere out there, even just for a change of pace.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:49 am I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but in games where Hiltz isn't getting it going, I'd love to see Deere out there, even just for a change of pace.
Not here but over at the Syracusefan site some people have mentioned moving Leo to attack and have Hiltz run on the 2nd line mids. I have thought that could be an option since Leo's natural position and he appears to be one of the few guys who can consistently bear his man but who knows.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Pensky Material wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:09 pm
LacrosseFan33 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:49 am I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but in games where Hiltz isn't getting it going, I'd love to see Deere out there, even just for a change of pace.
Not here but over at the Syracusefan site some people have mentioned moving Leo to attack and have Hiltz run on the 2nd line mids. I have thought that could be an option since Leo's natural position and he appears to be one of the few guys who can consistently bear his man but who knows.
That's a good call out, Hiltz could serve in the Birtwistle type of interior finishing midfield role on the first line

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”