Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
intheknow247

Re: Games Today

Post by intheknow247 »

TNLAX wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:39 pm
spidey44 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:01 pm
HailMaryPass wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:38 am Surprised no one has mentioned Isabella Peterson's red card at the game against Towson last night.

She'll be out against Albany, will be a test for the JMU offensive unit. Albany could take this one.
I was watching. Looked like a frustration foul after getting back checked. That will definitely hurt the Dukes, but still have them beating the Danes.
Agree with your perspective that this looked like a frustration foul, but for the life of me I don't see how it warranted a red card. A green or yellow for sure, maybe someone who is an official can explain the reasoning behind a red card in this situation. Maybe the replays and the angles I saw on ESPN+ didn't give me the full perspective.

Then, one minute later a Towson player runs thru a JMU player at midfield trying to get a ball, what appeared to me was a much "harder" foul and the Towson player only received a green card.
It was the flagrant intent rather than just the physical contact that was noted by the crew (and the off ball shenanigans was certainly intentional). I would have issued a yellow only though. Towson player could have easily warranted a yellow for uncontrolled contact as opposed to just green but they chose to adjudicate it as such.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

....and then reality set in

SBU 20-9 Final
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

HailMaryPass wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:38 am Surprised no one has mentioned Isabella Peterson's red card at the game against Towson last night.

She'll be out against Albany, will be a test for the JMU offensive unit. Albany could take this one.
I was watching. Looked like a frustration foul after getting back checked. That will definitely hurt the Dukes, but still have them beating the Danes.
Agree with your perspective that this looked like a frustration foul, but for the life of me I don't see how it warranted a red card. A green or yellow for sure, maybe someone who is an official can explain the reasoning behind a red card in this situation. Maybe the replays and the angles I saw on ESPN+ didn't give me the full perspective.

Then, one minute later a Towson player runs thru a JMU player at midfield trying to get a ball, what appeared to me was a much "harder" foul and the Towson player only received a green card.
I thought she swung her stick at the girl which is probably why a red. Pretty much with you that I was surprised it was a red, but definitely warranted a 2 minute yellow.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

flushlax77 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:58 am
spidey44 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:16 am Some good games on the slate this weekend. Starting with today we've got UVA-UNC. Let's see what UVA is really made of. MD-Florida will be interesting. Let's see if the Gators have some fight left in them but likely to drop to 0-3. Duke-Clemson will also answer some questions, but I think the Tigers come out on top. Just don't think Duke can hang. ND-Cuse, I'd have had the Orange taking this one preseason, but I think the Irish on home turf will give the Orange another L

Spidey's Lines:
UNC -3.5
UMD -4.5
Clemson -2
Notre Dame - 3.5
Maryland will outclass Florida...just think the unexpected loss of LoPinto to BC would set back any offense for at least a year.

Give me UNC, they will eat up the zone that UVA plays. Only way UVA keeps it close is their advantage in the net

Tigers/Blue Devils is a toss up to me. This isn't the same Clemson team as last year, looking at their stats its a whole new cast of characters. Young team on the road for the first ACC game? Duke experience (tons of older kids in their lineup) gives them a slight advantage.

Notre Dame at home....if they play outside, give me cuse, if they play inside, give me Notre Dame. Not sure how it is legal to play games there, that field is TERRIBLE.
Curious as to what gives Cuse the advantage outside as they also play inside?

Additionally I’d add that Cuse has college-basketball level home field advantage. The dome is notoriously hard for visitors. If I was making lines I’d move the line 2-4 in favor of Cuse for home games. Not that it’s relevant today since they’re playing in South Bend. With the exception of last year, these teams have played usually matched up well. I’d take ND ML & Cuse spread.
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

spidey44 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:45 pm

I thought she swung her stick at the girl which is probably why a red. Pretty much with you that I was surprised it was a red, but definitely warranted a 2 minute yellow.
From Klaes on the card: Klaes said the explanation on Peterson’s red card was “making a play without the ball with intention, with frustration.”

Peterson’s red card carries a one-game suspension, which will keep her out of Sunday’s matchup with Albany.

“We understand Bella is being targeted right now,” Klaes said. “She's earned the right to have a lot of defensive systems coming at her, and even though that's hard and a big challenge for her, she has to learn how to maintain her composure.”
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

spidey44 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:16 am Some good games on the slate this weekend. Starting with today we've got UVA-UNC. Let's see what UVA is really made of. MD-Florida will be interesting. Let's see if the Gators have some fight left in them but likely to drop to 0-3. Duke-Clemson will also answer some questions, but I think the Tigers come out on top. Just don't think Duke can hang. ND-Cuse, I'd have had the Orange taking this one preseason, but I think the Irish on home turf will give the Orange another L

Spidey's Lines:
UNC -3.5
UMD -4.5
Clemson -2
Notre Dame - 3.5
I’m happy someone’s finally doing lines!

I’d parlay the UNC & UMD spread.

Just to make things fun I’d also take Cuse at +3.5, but the ND ML.

Not touching Clemson/Duke
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Dstats.PNG
Dstats.PNG (2.04 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Can someone help me understand the stats for D players? I get GB for ground ball & CT for caused turnovers, what are the other stats? I think SV% & S are saves which only apply to goalies.

I find it hard in this sport to understand through stats only who is a good defensive player.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

WLaxdad wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:09 pm Dstats.PNG

Can someone help me understand the stats for D players? I get GB for ground ball & CT for caused turnovers, what are the other stats? I think SV% & S are saves which only apply to goalies.

I find it hard in this sport to understand through stats only who is a good defensive player.
You pretty much got it - Ground Balls - Caused Turnovers - Turnovers - Saves - Goals Against - Save Percentage - Draw Controls
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

How the heck is UConn losing to St Joes? St Joes sti………… St Joe’s is not in the same league as UConn. See what I did there.

Gonna say at this point UConn is a bit overrated.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

From stats alone it is not always possible to measure the impact of a defender. They can have a zero stat line and been the most important player on the field. I.e. shitting down the opposition’s top scorer to feeder … or being so disruptive it forces the opposition out of the offensive rhythm. GBs and CTs don’t always tell the full story.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:30 pm How the heck is UConn losing to St Joes? St Joes sti………… St Joe’s is not in the same league as UConn. See what I did there.

Bravo. Maybe its both that St Joe's is better than might have been thought and UConn not so much...in my humble opinion, the level of play is going up in lots of places in teams ranked 20-70ish, and the differences are less stark.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

WLaxdad wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:09 pm Dstats.PNG

I personally don’t think it’s possible to use stats only to determine how good a defensive player is. You’ll need to watch them as well. Some very elite 1v1 defenders won’t necessarily have an extraordinary amount of GBs & CTOs. There are many times during a game where one defender is playing good defense, and forces an attacker to make a rushed pass, hasty decision, or hesitate long enough for another player to get a trail check, make an interception, etc. Yes, the other defender still has to make the play, cause the turnover, and get the ground ball - but stats don’t tell the whole story. That being said, there are also some very elite defenders that will have an extraordinary amount of CTOs & GBs. It also depends on what systems the team is playing. Defense really is a group effort.

I think the same thing could be said for attackers off ball as well.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:30 pm How the heck is UConn losing to St Joes? St Joes sti………… St Joe’s is not in the same league as UConn. See what I did there.

Which begs the question, who is JMU?? They absolutely torched VT, beat a good, albeit short handed UNC squad, and didn't have much trouble with Towson, as expected. But struggled against UConn?? I didn't see the game so can't comment, but interesting season so far.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

St. Joes won the A10 conference championship a mere two years ago. I would say they are squarely in UConn's league.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:58 pm

St. Joes won the A10 conference championship a mere two years ago. I would say they are squarely in UConn's league.
UConn coming back now. They should win. St Joes just lost their draw taker to two yellow cards.
Last edited by Relax77 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

spidey44 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:44 pm

Which begs the question, who is JMU?? They absolutely torched VT, beat a good, albeit short handed UNC squad, and didn't have much trouble with Towson, as expected. But struggled against UConn?? I didn't see the game so can't comment, but interesting season so far.
I wrote this in another thread but i was high on JMU during the preseason. I predicted them to be a final four team. At their best they can beat anyone but we've also come to learn that their defense is pretty bad and they can lose to a high powered offense. I was never high on UCONN and i have no idea why some people were. I think someone said the UCONN win was an impressive win for JMU which i disagreed with.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

spidey44 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:44 pm

It’s still February. Progress & growth usually aren’t perfectly linear.
Last edited by wlaxphan20 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:03 pm

UConn coming back now. They should win. St Joes just lost their draw taker to two yellow cards.

Free position with 33 seconds left. St Joes saved it. UConn loses 11-10
Bart

Post by Bart »

Helps to have a good goalkeeper to backstop the defense. St Joe's also missing one of their best midfielders. To say they st........ was a bit of an overreach.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Bart wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:27 pm

Helps to have a good goalkeeper to backstop the defense. St Joe's also missing one of their best midfielders. To say they st........ was a bit of an overreach.
I don’t think they stink. I just did that as a joke from the poster yesterday about her pet peeve. My point about it was UConn is overrated. And you are right. The goalie played really well. Three saves in the last minute. Two on FP. UConn should have beat St Joes easily but didn’t.
Last edited by Relax77 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”