UVA 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
blue angels

Re: UVA 2024

Post by blue angels »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:41 am
Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:07 pm And McCabe …..wow

Great start to a career. I saw him in the Under Armout game last July and he looked slow. Many of us saw him for the first time in that game. Duffy looked much better.

So of course game 1 in division 1, Millon nets 5 and Duffy 0. Of course.

Looking forward to seeing UVA against an apparently much better Richmond.
It’s the usual overreaction to 1 outing. Millon was hurt most of last year and never completely 100%. I wouldn’t make too many predictions on who is better, because Millon had a better opener than Duffy. They are both top players. For the same reason that Duffy was declared better after Fall ball because he had a dominating scrimmage or 2. It will all play out in time.
coda

Post by coda »

blue angels wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:14 am

Great start to a career. I saw him in the Under Armout game last July and he looked slow. Many of us saw him for the first time in that game. Duffy looked much better.

It’s the usual overreaction to 1 outing. Millon was hurt most of last year and never completely 100%. I wouldn’t make too many predictions on who is better, because Millon had a better opener than Duffy. They are both top players. For the same reason that Duffy was declared better after Fall ball because he had a dominating scrimmage or 2. It will all play out in time.
It going to be really hard make a comparison this year. Millon is never going to see a top pole this year (barring injuries). Lot of his success was based on Michigan refusing to switch on picks. If you are on line with Shelly and Cormier, you are not going to garner much attention.
molo

Post by molo »

There has been a fair amount of commentary about Shellenberger’s playing more up top with Millon, the heir apparent, handling the ball a lot at X. In my view, that is somewhat of an overreaction in a sport where offensive patterns are more like basketball than football. It simply, to me, suggests that they have two qb attackmen. People referred to a two qb set two years ago with Moore and Shellenberger, but the former, who certainly piled up assists, was more of an athletic dodge and dump guy than a natural feeder.
Previously under Lars and the former OC, the second midfield tended to include someone from the first, basically a rotation that almost always had a first middie on the field with an assortment of several players completing the second. Yesterday, they ran a first of Schutz, Boynton, and Colsey and a second of Menke, Cory, and a couple of others. They didnt anchor a second with someone from the first. Was I accurate in thinking that Terencio got a quick run with the second, or was he just in briefly because he didn’t sub off on offense immediately? In any event, he had an impressive debut. With Chizmar, Yeager, and Terenzi, dm has gone from a question mark to a strength.
Is Richmond or Michigan better?
molo

Post by molo »

There has been a fair amount of commentary about Shellenberger’s playing more up top with Millon, the heir apparent, handling the ball a lot at X. In my view, that is somewhat of an overreaction in a sport where offensive patterns are more like basketball than football. It simply, to me, suggests that they have two qb attackmen. People referred to a two qb set two years ago with Moore and Shellenberger, but the former, who certainly piled up assists, was more of an athletic dodge and dump guy than a natural feeder.
Previously under Lars and the former OC, the second midfield tended to include someone from the first, basically a rotation that almost always had a first middie on the field with an assortment of several players completing the second. Yesterday, they ran a first of Schutz, Boynton, and Colsey and a second of Menke, Cory, and a couple of others. They didnt anchor a second with someone from the first. Was I accurate in thinking that Terencio got a quick run with the second, or was he just in briefly because he didn’t sub off on offense immediately? In any event, he had an impressive debut. With Chizmar, Yeager, and Terenzi, dm has gone from a question mark to a strength.
Is Richmond or Michigan better?
molo

Post by molo »

On a sad note, Jim Colbeck, father of former UVA offensive coordinator and Loyola attackman Chris Colbeck, has died. Chris was the subject of an article the gist of which was what became of one of the most promising assistant coaches. He was last seen pursuing va grad degree in Sourhern studies at Ole Miss.
Jim was an administrator in Baltimore County Public Schools, a tough but decent guy. Every school needs a principal or assistant principal like him, but few (in my 40 years with BCPS) had one.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

LOL. He is definitely not slow. Boyden is an interesting case. He def is slow by D-1 standards but produced 5 points. I dont think he will be a dodger in space though. His first attempt he got buried. Of course this is all based on one game so who knows.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

coda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:34 am

It going to be really hard make a comparison this year. Millon is never going to see a top pole this year (barring injuries). Lot of his success was based on Michigan refusing to switch on picks. If you are on line with Shelly and Cormier, you are not going to garner much attention.
Agreed. 9's goals were really rather easy, running uncontested upfield and pulling his bottom hand, against poor pick defense. Happy to see he has the green light. I also thought 1 looked out of sorts, trying to figure out where he could have an impact....maybe it was really to just drag the top pole away from traffic. Will be interesting to see how the offense develops. That close defense looks silly good, with great DM's and tending.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:05 pm
coda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:34 am

Agreed. 9's goals were really rather easy, running uncontested upfield and pulling his bottom hand, against poor pick defense. Happy to see he has the green light. I also thought 1 looked out of sorts, trying to figure out where he could have an impact....maybe it was really to just drag the top pole away from traffic. Will be interesting to see how the offense develops. That close defense looks silly good, with great DM's and tending.
With his success, he will become part of defenses’ scouting reports and teams will have to pick their poison. Slide to Millon and they open things for others. What the 1st game proves is that he has to be accounted for.
coda

Post by coda »

Doubt it. I can’t imagine any DC that would ever think about taking focus off of Shelly or Cormier. Keep in mind Millon led the team in turnovers with 3, had 0 assists, and a conduct penalty. You want the ball in his stick compared to the rest of the attack
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

coda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:38 pm Doubt it. I can’t imagine any DC that would ever think about taking focus off of Shelly or Cormier. Keep in mind Millon led the team in turnovers with 3, had 0 assists, and a conduct penalty. You want the ball in his stick compared to the rest of the attack
Of course, focus will remain on Shellenberger, Cormier and Shutz etc. However, You don’t think defensive coordinators are going to have Millon in their scouting reports going forward? Get real.
coda

Post by coda »

blue angels wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:52 pm
coda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:38 pm Doubt it. I can’t imagine any DC that would ever think about taking focus off of Shelly or Cormier. Keep in mind Millon led the team in turnovers with 3, had 0 assists, and a conduct penalty. You want the ball in his stick compared to the rest of the attack
Of course, focus will remain on Shellenberger, Cormier and Shutz etc. However, You don’t think defensive coordinators are going to have Millon in their scouting reports going forward? Get real.
Like he wasn’t on it before? You think the #1 recruit in the country wasn’t on it? Get real. The point remains he will never see a top pole or garner special attention this year.
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:55 pm
Like he wasn’t on it before? You think the #1 recruit in the country wasn’t on it? Get real. The point remains he will never see a top pole or garner special attention this year.

Never say “never” (unless you're speculating when the Jets will win a Super Bowl, then of course it’s allowed)
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:00 pm

Never say “never” (unless you're speculating when the Jets will win a Super Bowl, then of course it’s allowed)
Barring injuries, it won’t happen.
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:05 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:00 pm

Barring injuries, it won’t happen.

Fair.

If that kid reads this board, maybe he’ll use’Coda’s’ posts as fuel. I would!
coda

Post by coda »

He be an idiot, if he took offense at that. He is on an attack line with Shellenberger and Cormier. It’s kind of obvious you want a freshmen to handle the ball over those guys. It would be like Pachecco (Chiefs RB) being offended that defenses are focusing on Mahomes instead of him
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

This is actually an argument for sliding to Millon. All this must be considered with a giant grain of salt, since we are working of a game sample size of ONE.

But with that (very large) caveat, what the data you laid out tells me (if I am an opposing DC) is to slide to Millon early and force him to prove he can get assists and/or that he won't turn the ball over. If what he is good at is putting the ball in the back of the net - force him to be a passer....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Donville will be doing some articles and videos this season reviewing games and talking about certain aspects of the game. Today videos is about the UVA vs Michigan game

https://youtu.be/uZz_VRiwqkQ?si=U8SrHRfZtiUamRkj
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:05 am Donville will be doing some articles and videos this season reviewing games and talking about certain aspects of the game. Today videos is about the UVA vs Michigan game

That was an excellent in depth game analysis. Thanks
coda

Post by coda »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:05 am Donville will be doing some articles and videos this season reviewing games and talking about certain aspects of the game. Today videos is about the UVA vs Michigan game

I like it, but feels like they need another guy in there and some cut ups. You do that and I think it would be a must watch TV every Monday for me..

I dont think you see short sticks on Cormier, cant remember if that was last year or the year before, but people tried that and he scorched teams that did it.
Finster

Post by Finster »

If I had to bet, I think Richmond will keep it tighter than expected against Virginia. Weather looks decent, partly sunny and 50 degrees.

I’m going with a tighter than expected game for these reasons:

1) Richmond’s FOGO Chenoy can hold his own, maybe not dominate his opponent, but give UVA a run for its money

2) UVA likely to have a mini letdown against its younger smaller brother after playing a big boy opener against Michigan

3) Richmond’s offense is grooving

4) I think UVA, in spite of dropping 19 on Michigan, is still working on their offense flow; might use this game to iron out some player positioning

5) the bus ride from C-ville on I/64 will deaden the Hoos legs that morning

Why I’m likely to be wrong (and UVA wins by a billion):

1) Goalie. UVA at a decided edge

2) Shellenberger is mad and historically has not done great against Richmond but his final year to impress the locals so maybe this is the year

3) Cormier feasts on Richmond and he’s hungry this year

4) With the exception of ‘22, UVA has had their way in this series

5) you don’t like to lose to your little brother; in fact every so often you need to teach him a hard lesson

Which Jekyll Hyde scenario seems more likely to you?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”